HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Oh well

View Poll Results: 3 stars
ZETTERBERG 10 32.26%
NYQUIST 1 3.23%
ABDELKADER 2 6.45%
SHEHEAN 16 51.61%
BERTUZZI 0 0%
TATAR 14 45.16%
CLEARY 2 6.45%
MILLER 2 6.45%
ANDERSSON 0 0%
GLENDENNING 1 3.23%
EAVES 1 3.23%
SAMUELSSON 3 9.68%
KRONWALL 1 3.23%
SMITH 1 3.23%
QUINCEY 2 6.45%
KINDL 0 0%
LASHOFF 0 0%
DEKEYSER 6 19.35%
HOWARD 10 32.26%
HILLER 6 19.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-12-2014, 10:47 PM
RedWingzz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandel View Post
Like 2 weeks ago with Tomas Jurco
and where is he now? 7 games is not a legitimate shot...

RedWingzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingzz View Post
Tomas Hertl, Valeri Nichushkin, Nathan Mackinnon, Jeff Skinner, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, Tyler Johnson, Mark Scheifele, Alex Chiasson, Nail Yakupov, Ondrej Palat, Sean Monahan, Tyler Toffoli, Brandon Saad, Jonatahn Huberdeau, Gabriel Landeskog, Ryan Nuge-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Tyler Ennis, Logan Couture, Derek Stepan

When is the last time the Wings gave a player a legitimate shot to be a threat right away?
Several of those guys aren't legitimate top 6 guys, just top 6 by necessity. Nail Yakupov is their king.

The rest are unreal talents.

edit: Also, if you look at some of those guys, they aren't actually playing a ton of minutes. They're just very productive in the minutes that they do play. A lot of them play (or played in their rookie year, as several are not rookies this year) around 13-15 min, which is generally what Nyquist and Tatar were getting prior to Nyquist's stint on the first line (and Tatar's puzzling decrease in icetime).

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Brandel*
sammy the sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Several of those guys aren't legitimate top 6 guys, just top 6 by necessity. Nail Yakupov is their king.

The rest are unreal talents.
yep and there are players like Toffoli who only played a couple of games in the top 6 due to injuries. Probably less than jurco's 7.

Brandel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:54 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Hell, look at Tomas Hertl. Nobody has any reason to question his ability to score at the NHL level. Yet if you look at his game log, he spends much of his time playing 15 min a night. Some nights he's down to 14, 13, or even 10. It's because his coach knows that he's not a star yet. He's good, but even he's still learning.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
it isn't a post game thread without me either forgetting or messing up the options.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:05 PM
RedWingzz

Quote:
Hell, look at Tomas Hertl. Nobody has any reason to question his ability to score at the NHL level. Yet if you look at his game log, he spends much of his time playing 15 min a night. Some nights he's down to 14, 13, or even 10. It's because his coach knows that he's not a star yet. He's good, but even he's still learning.
My roommate is a Sharks fan, so I watch a ton of Sharks games. Hertl was a top 6 forward every game this year.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:07 PM
RedWingzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandel View Post
yep and there are players like Toffoli who only played a couple of games in the top 6 due to injuries. Probably less than jurco's 7.
You're right, Toffoli only gets 3rd line minutes. He produces like a 2nd liner though.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:11 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive

Babcock on flu bug: We had lot of guys throwing up during the game, Glenny and Kronner all night long. They just kept playing and competing
Hats off to those guys, but I don't know how they can do it. Whenever I have the stomach flu I feel like death and there's no way I could play hockey or really do anything for the matter. Just lay in bed or on the bathroom floor and feel like you're on fire and praying the vomiting is over.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
My roommate is a Sharks fan, so I watch a ton of Sharks games. Hertl was a top 6 forward every game this year.
Do they often only play their top 6 forwards 13 minutes a game?

Old
01-12-2014, 11:22 PM
silkyjohnson50

Overall it's hard to complain much about this game as Detroit played a solid road game. Getting zero points hurts though.

I thought the Bertuzzi-Sheahan-Tatar line was pretty darn effective and created some of our best chances. Thought they could have seen a few extra shifts. Sheahan is pretty darn good along the boards which is huge for maintaining o-zone pressure. I know he's a center, but he seems to me like he could be one of those Holmstrom type wingers for Datsyuk or Zetterberg. A big body, who wins puck battles, has good IQ, and goes to the net. Abdelkader can be an effective 3rd line winger or 2nd liner if Helm is centering that line, but I still don't see him as a good fit with Datsyuk or Zetterberg. At all. He just doesn't have the same IQ/vision to play that type of possession game. Whereas he works with Helm's game. But IMO Helm's game works with anyone because he's just speed and hustle which opens up a ton of space, therefore making everyone's life easier.

Z was as strong on the puck as ever, but unfortunately it really never amounted to many chances as he was kept on the outside and Anaheim played their lanes well.

Smith has to be able block that pass. That was pretty much his only responsibility there and he let it get through and that was 1 point.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:24 PM
RedWingzz

Quote:
Do they often only play their top 6 forwards 13 minutes a game?
No? Hertl has been on Thornton's line all season. His ice time is lower because he doesn't get a second of PK time, he's on the 2nd PP unit, and he doesn't play much late in games because his defensive game isn't amazing. Besides this, he's used in the top 6 every single game.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:26 PM
RedWingzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Overall it's hard to complain much about this game as Detroit played a solid road game. Getting zero points hurts though.

I thought the Bertuzzi-Sheahan-Tatar line was pretty darn effective and created some of our best chances. Thought they could have seen a few extra shifts. Sheahan is pretty darn good along the boards which is huge for maintaining o-zone pressure. I know he's a center, but he seems to me like he could be one of those Holmstrom type wingers for Datsyuk or Zetterberg. A big body, who wins puck battles, has good IQ, and goes to the net. Abdelkader can be an effective 3rd line winger or 2nd liner if Helm is centering that line, but I still don't see him as a good fit with Datsyuk or Zetterberg. At all. He just doesn't have the same IQ/vision to play that type of possession game. Whereas he works with Helm's game. But IMO Helm's game works with anyone because he's just speed and hustle which opens up a ton of space, therefore making everyone's life easier.

Z was as strong on the puck as ever, but unfortunately it really never amounted to many chances as he was kept on the outside and Anaheim played their lanes well.

Smith has to be able block that pass. That was pretty much his only responsibility there and he let it get through and that was 1 point.
I'll give you something to complain about, the powerplay. 6 shots in 10 minutes of PP time. That is laughable. Other than the PP, I completely agree, the wings played well. They were skating hard, the chances were there, the intensity was there. But the PP was a massive letdown.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:30 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
I'll give you something to complain about, the powerplay. 6 shots in 10 minutes of PP time. That is laughable. Other than the PP, I completely agree, the wings played well. They were skating hard, the chances were there, the intensity was there. But the PP was a massive letdown.
Yeah good point. 60% of the 1st unit is not in the lineup though, so it's not too surprising.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Yeah, PP sucked. It doesn't help when your best puck carrier and playmaker (Datsyuk) your best net-front player (Franzen) and your best right-handed pointman (alfredsson) is out.

And others were having some freaking flu.

Quote:
JAnsar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 52m

Babcock on flu bug: We had lot of guys throwing up during the game, Glenny and Kronner all night long. They just kept playing and competing
With these circumstances, it was a pretty good game.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Detroit Sports
NMC aka LOL -Jimmy H

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geelee View Post

Samuelsson is laughing all the way to the bank.

Him making 3M is criminal for how bad he plays
What about the guy that gave him this?

Detroit Sports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:56 PM
bullocks

We played well, tough game to lose. Have to bury your chances. With this line up tho, i can see why we didnt.

Also Nyquist needs to step it up. Not living up to the hype (which was too much to begin with).

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:10 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post

I too thought that either Smith or Mrazek could have blocked that pass.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:45 AM
aar000n

Quote:
The passing was just bad. the last power play they just kept passing to empty space.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 01:44 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Time may pass but some things never change, like playing the Anaheim Ducks! Perry performs his antics, the Ducks go hard against the Wings. It makes sense what true rivalries are based off of, history together! I think some of these games against our "former" rivals has been good. Not just for entertainment, but as conditioning and an important remembrance of the DRW recent past.

Smith. We lost that game in the 2nd because of him, as a D he knows it. A giveaway pass then the puck goes right through his stick in front of the net to Cogliono. Yea, it would have nice to actually score in regulation but we had momentum up to that point. Mistakes like that must be eliminated at the top level.

Over all it is unbelievable that with such a decimated and depleted team Detroit is still able to hold their own. This speaks to the facts of the DRW management and system. Guys like Lashoff, Miller, Sheahan, Glendening, hell even Samuelsson are able to step in and represent.

Again we started fresh but were absolutely exhausted into the 2nd. Much respect because the Wings continued to try and push, what an amazing effort. I had a few flashbacks from the PO's coming on, but it wasn't to be. Good effort though Wings. Get home, get some rest. I think they proved a lot this western trip. When(if) players get healthy I know we have the energy to get into the playoffs. As broken as we are the DRW can still do some damage!

Just sayin'!

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 01:47 AM
pbgoalie

Ducks fan in peace.
Wings played pretty hard considering a second game
against back to back strong teams.
Mrazek was amazing.
Gotta say, glad Lidstrom is gone. He was so good at getting
pucks through to the net, and holding the zone. He killed us.

As usual, NHL refs were terrible. But at least they're terrible
across the league, every night.

We went through our injury hell this first half. Hang in guys.

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:13 AM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Nyquist creates a ton of scoring chances in the zone... I guess I'm not seeing the player a few of you are watching out there. He's been fine; he just hasn't shot the puck very much.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:26 AM
14ari13

Too bad we could not get a point or two here. We were so close. I think we have to blame our PP. When was the last we scored a PP goal?

Old
01-13-2014, 05:40 AM
14ari13

We have not scored a PP goal on this road trip (4 games) and we have allowed one sh goal, while we have allowed 2 PP goals. So our special units suck.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:44 AM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
Also Nyquist needs to step it up. Not living up to the hype (which was too much to begin with).

That's the trap we can all get ourselves into...put too much hype/hope on the young guys and if they aren't producing to the level of Hank or Pavel or Mule...they come off as disappointing. I think the level of expectations need to be geared towards...they'll be very good in time but don't expect consistency right away. I think at worst we'd like to see effort and energy.

The fact so many important veterans are out right now, we end up putting more on these guys' shoulders when you'd rather they just be in secondary roles at best. Who here expects any of these young guys to score 30 goals right now? Tatar seems to have the most polish and even he's still a raw player at this level. You see a lot of ability from these guys but you can't expect regular production like we'd expect from Hank or Pavel or Alfredsson. Those guys still need to lead the way...when they're healthy.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 06:57 AM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

The game itself...really impressed with Sheahan's mobility. I didn't know he skated this well. I like him and Tatar together. They make Bert look even older and slower.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote