HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time warner vs fios

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2014, 03:07 PM
  #1
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Time warner vs fios

I'm doing construction on a new home and trying to have the cable installed during construction to eliminate visible wires. I have Cablevision now and as much as we all like to bash Cablevision the service is good and dependable for TV and internet.

The new location is Time Warner and not Cablevision and if there's any customers that hate their cable company more than Cablevision it's Time Warner's. I have one friend in the area and he said that they replaced TW with FIOS and they love it.

A couple of things that might lead me towards TW. Cablevision has a traffic/weather channel and an interactive traffic channel where you can see traffic maps in real time. That is important to me and if TW has similar I would like that. I'm assuming that FIOS has nothing like that.

And because TW is a wired cable company as opposed to FIOS, Cablevision can't play as many games with the MSG signal like they do with FIOS.

I know FIOS is cheaper but that's not the deciding factor for me. I know that the commercial/sports/movie channels are about the same. Does anyone know if either of them have Center Ice in HD? Cablevision doesn't and that's why I stopped getting it.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:14 PM
  #2
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I'm doing construction on a new home and trying to have the cable installed during construction to eliminate visible wires. I have Cablevision now and as much as we all like to bash Cablevision the service is good and dependable for TV and internet.

The new location is Time Warner and not Cablevision and if there's any customers that hate their cable company more than Cablevision it's Time Warner's. I have one friend in the area and he said that they replaced TW with FIOS and they love it.

A couple of things that might lead me towards TW. Cablevision has a traffic/weather channel and an interactive traffic channel where you can see traffic maps in real time. That is important to me and if TW has similar I would like that. I'm assuming that FIOS has nothing like that.

And because TW is a wired cable company as opposed to FIOS, Cablevision can't play as many games with the MSG signal like they do with FIOS.

I know FIOS is cheaper but that's not the deciding factor for me. I know that the commercial/sports/movie channels are about the same. Does anyone know if either of them have Center Ice in HD? Cablevision doesn't and that's why I stopped getting it.
I switched from TW to FiOS a year ago and never looked back. The internet speeds destroy TW as well. Only real negative for me is for some unknown reason FiOS boxes don't support picture in picture. Otherwise it's no contest.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:57 PM
  #3
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,406
vCash: 500
I was finally able to get Fios in the Spring. Had it for 3 weeks and went back to Time Warner. After a week, my service froze and they had to send someone. Took a week to get an appointment. Tech said the wire the first tech installed was real flimsy and claimed he installed a stronger, more durable wire. A week later, it went out again. When I called, they said they couldn't get anyone here for 6 days. I told them if they didn't have someone here by the end of the night, I was canceling. They didn't and the next day I called Time Warner. They got here that evening to re-install and I returned my Fios equipment.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:01 PM
  #4
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Does TW have local traffic channels?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:11 PM
  #5
alkurtz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Not quite the same situation, but in December I switched from Comcast to FIOS and it was entirely due to the Rangers. 8 games were scheduled for MSG2 this season; two this week.

On Comcast, MSG2 was an overflow channel (I live in Putnam County, NY) broadcast in SD. Games would move from channel to channel, playing havoc with DVRing the games.

On FIOS, MSG2 is on its own dedicated HD channel.

Picture quality, internet speed, and price are about the same, but so far I'm satisfied and can watch MSG2 in HD.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:12 PM
  #6
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Not quite the same situation, but in December I switched from Comcast to FIOS and it was entirely due to the Rangers. 8 games were scheduled for MSG2 this season; two this week.

On Comcast, MSG2 was an overflow channel (I live in Putnam County, NY) broadcast in SD. Games would move from channel to channel, playing havoc with DVRing the games.

On FIOS, MSG2 is on its own dedicated HD channel.

Picture quality, internet speed, and price are about the same, but so far I'm satisfied and can watch MSG2 in HD.
It is its own channel on Time warner now, too. MSG2 and MSG2+ are both in HD.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:13 PM
  #7
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Does TW have local traffic channels?
Honestly, I have no idea.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:25 PM
  #8
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,406
vCash: 500
As for Center Ice, I do not believe it is fully in HD. I don't get it, so not sure and since I dont ge it, it doesnt appear on my guide. IIRC, during the free preview, they usually had 2 HD channels for Center Ice.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:41 PM
  #9
Calad
Section 422
 
Calad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,176
vCash: 500
LOVE my fios

Calad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:36 PM
  #10
Nash Money
Registered User
 
Nash Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Love fios but here are two negatives (which are related to the rangers/hockey):

MSG2+ is not in HD
The fios app for tablets/phones offers far fewer live channels (eg no msg)

Nash Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:51 PM
  #11
Rangers Fail
Free James Sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 22,711
vCash: 500
I absolutely hate Time Warner. And my grandma has fios, and I absolutely love it.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:54 PM
  #12
alkurtz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash Money View Post
Love fios but here are two negatives (which are related to the rangers/hockey):

MSG2+ is not in HD
The fios app for tablets/phones offers far fewer live channels (eg no msg)
I have FIOS and MSG2 is in HD....its why I switched from Comcast

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:54 PM
  #13
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,009
vCash: 500
There is really no debate. If you can get FiOS in your area you are making a mistake going with any other cable provider.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:57 PM
  #14
theFiGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,511
vCash: 500
Fios bro. I love it compared to time warner and the internet is way better than TWC. Only bad part is no New York 1

theFiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:04 PM
  #15
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,489
vCash: 137
Having both, I enjoy FiOS significantly more. ****ing hated TWC.

__________________
Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:50 PM
  #16
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,320
vCash: 500
My household switched from CV to FIOS and FIOS is a much better service/product. Can't comment on TW but I can't imagine you being disappointed with FIOS in any regard.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:10 PM
  #17
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 500
My aunt and uncle couldn't wait for Fios any longer (Understandable since I've had Fios for close to two years now and they live in the same neighborhood as I), so they finally decided to get a triple play package from Time Warner.

First, they only gave them a double play package without the phone. Computers were slow at Time Warner's end and they couldn't get the recording prompt where you either speak or press something to confirm switching phone providers. They were lead to believe the order would be put on hold, but they went with it.

Second, they finally got to ordering the triple play package and were informed that they would be paying, tax included, $170, with a package that consisted of 1 year free of DVR, HBO, Showtime for only a few bucks, and all sports channels. What they got instead was a bill that surpassed $240. Somehow, Time Warner was charging them each service (Internet, TV, Phone) separately.

Finally, they called and told them they would cancel everything if they didn't get what they originally were promised. So, Time Warner gave them the appropriate credit..but they took out both Showtime and HBO and replaced them with only Starz, and the only sports channels they have are MSG, SNY, YES.

I feel for them. I've got all premium channels, most sports channels, internet speeds that dwarfs theirs; all for a cheaper price than what TWC promised them.

The only thing I would say TWC has over Fios is that they have more HD channels and they have channels that will automatically switch to HD instead of the standard version.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:14 PM
  #18
nikonsniper*
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 901
vCash: 500
Fios, and its not even close.

nikonsniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:51 AM
  #19
Nash Money
Registered User
 
Nash Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I have FIOS and MSG2 is in HD....its why I switched from Comcast
Yes, MSG2 is in HD. MSG2+ is not. Or perhaps it's MSG+2. Either way, I get it in SD but not HD.

Nash Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:46 AM
  #20
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,406
vCash: 500
I am not surprised with those who love Fios. For the most part, I have only heard good things and I was waiting patiently to get it. As soon as my building was wired for it, and I was bugging my co-op board to get it done, I wanted it installed. However, a week on and a week off was just not going to work for me.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:42 AM
  #21
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Time Warner is by far the worst of all the cable companies around here....with Cablevision being a very close second. They are all TERRIBLE.

DirecTV and Fios are the best, by far.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:13 PM
  #22
ADifferentTim
Knowledgeable & Pure
 
ADifferentTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: I'm in L.A., Trick!
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 50
I am vouching in favor Verizon FiOS and I live all the way in Los Angeles.

Since this is an NYC thread, here:

http://www.verizon.com/NROneRetail/N.../NY_NYArea.pdf

Hope this helps.

ADifferentTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:27 PM
  #23
Richter915
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
can't speak for TWC but fios is head over heels above optimum in both tv and internet.

Richter915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:07 PM
  #24
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Time Warner is by far the worst of all the cable companies around here....with Cablevision being a very close second. They are all TERRIBLE.

DirecTV and Fios are the best, by far.

As much as I hate Cablevision for ruining the Rangers, Cablevision service is actually very good. It is expensive but almost never goes out. Most people decide by which is cheaper.

Unfortunately when you ask specific questions such as in my original post, you rarely get the answers to the questions you are looking for. Thanks to all who tried.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:14 AM
  #25
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,366
vCash: 500
Had TWC since 1986.... The day that Fios came to Northeast Queens we signed up. Had nothing but problems with twc slow Internet speeds and the tv constantly freezing.......

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.