HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Fears

Old
01-22-2007, 07:36 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
You are indeed correct sir
I disagree. While the season series is even, none of the Ottawa games we have played have been excellent, where we are clearly the better team. Ottawa has stayed in it until the final minutes of each, and their team is only improving at this point. If they can stay at the level that they're currently at (which is without Spezza or Fischer) they will be difficult to contain sooner than later.

I know the playoffs are another beast, but Ottawa has shown marked improvement from the other games we played against them in October and November.

01-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

My only fear is this unnamable event* happening and us not MAKING the playoffs.

We all know that whoever has the hot goaltending hand is gonna be successful anyhow. Whether that's Brodeur (whom I am great fan of) or Cam Ward or Cristo-wall or even Fleury for that matter, the fact is not a soul can predict who will be on fire between the pipes at that time.

More than any other consideration like standings or seeds it's that factor I expect to be a difference-maker in most playoff series. We're Habs fans - we ought to know!!

*I dare not speak its name, and I urge you not to. Sometimes I get superstitious around hockey.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 07:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I disagree. While the season series is even, none of the Ottawa games we have played have been excellent, where we are clearly the better team. Ottawa has stayed in it until the final minutes of each, and their team is only improving at this point. If they can stay at the level that they're currently at (which is without Spezza or Fischer) they will be difficult to contain sooner than later.

I know the playoffs are another beast, but Ottawa has shown marked improvement from the other games we played against them in October and November.
We won the season series last year against a better Senators team with a better goaltender. I agree we haven't been totally dominant against them this year but that's still no reason to be "afraid" of them.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Penalty Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
The Montreal Canadiens. When they struggle, it's because they are beating themselves. IMO, if this team plays to it's potential then I think we can beat anyone.
I agree with this. Even in the case of NJ, it's mental block on the Habs' part as much as Marty rising to the occasion.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:36 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:

I would go as far as saying the Habs are a much better team than the ones the Senators beat 8-3. It works both ways. When all is said and done they're 2-2 in the season series and have won 6 of the last 9 meetings with the Sens. Habs play the Sens again soon and I'm banking on a Habs win.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Demogod*

Fears?

Watching Rivet and Souray playing defense. Someone save this post so I can laugh and say "told you so".

Demogod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:02 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Canes and Brodeur.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 09:07 PM
habs86

vCash: 1251
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
i would have to say imo the teams i would like to stay away from : NJ and OTT, others we can handle.

GO HABS GO !!!

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 10:35 PM
bjac

The Devils... They have the Habs number. I would rather the Habs play a team like the Sabres than the Devils.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:52 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
For everyone wishing the Habs home ice should the play the Sens well no matter what your wish will be granted Habs fans will invade Scotia Bank Place and every game will be a home one.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 02:37 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder6 View Post
Ok, this may be a bit premature, but I was thinking about it today: who are the teams that scare you the most come playoff time? The only two teams that I absolutely do not want to play against are New Jersey and Pittsburgh. New Jersey because of Brodeur obviously (Not to mention it would be the most boring and frustrating series to watch). And Pittsburgh cuz Crosby scares the Bejesus outta me.

Oh, and just for the record, I wouldn't mind playing Buffalo, I think we match up well against them, and what a series that would be.
Thoughts?
pittsburgh scare me from the point that they have nothing to lose. Just getting to the post season would be gravy for them.

But the team that scares me the most is New Jersey. Brodeur feasts on the habs and its been proven time and time again what a bad matchup this is for montreal. For a team that relies on the special teams so much, the last thing you want is to play one of the least penalized teams in the league.

Carolina is the other team which scares me because of their ability to drive the net with authority without taking a penalty.

Other than that, I'd say the habs have at least a 50/50 shot against anyone in the conference.

honourable mention to toronto as well... if they get in the playoffs, I want no part of them. Their forchecking gameplan against montreal works too a tee and until montreal makes the necessary adjustments to it, I wont think otherwise.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Kruky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
For everyone wishing the Habs home ice should the play the Sens well no matter what your wish will be granted Habs fans will invade Scotia Bank Place and every game will be a home one.
I have tickets for the friday March 30th game. By then we should know if we will face each other or not.

I'm planning on getting tickets in the playoffs if it's Habs vs Sens. It so easy getting tickets in Ottawa. Just go on the internet as soon as they go on sale.

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:42 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
New Jersey......habs don't match up well with them. Brodeur is amazing.

KOMO_ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 12:50 AM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
everyone has their year, no matter how many times they choked.. ask the Indianapolis Colts
The Colts haven't won anything yet.

Anyways, Jersey is the scary one. An Ottawa matchup isn't all that daunting IMO, and actually, didn't Aebi have a lot of success against Ottawa during stretch time last year? Crazy thought but maybe we should give him a couple of Ottawa games.

Uh, can we please get the Bruins somehow to finish 5th with us in 4th? Please?

I'd actually welcome a Carolina matchup again. Time to exorcise those demons and get some revenge.

In reality, Jersey is the only matchup that I think we have poor odds against. Maybe others are around 50/50 or a bit lower, but enough variables could put us over the top.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:
I'd take Pittsburgh over pretty much all the other teams, frankly. Crosby might be able to score, but that team has no defense, and little-to-no goaltending.
Canadians = 140 Goals Against
Penguins = 148 Goals Against

...and I think you will have a hard time finding people with that same opinion of Fleury.

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 01:51 PM
habitue*

Depending of where they are in the standings towards the end of the season, the best position to finish would be the 6th...and then you meet Atlanta, or at worst, Carolina (or tampa ???) . You gonna have twovery strong teams at 4th and 5th spot. And you don't want finish 7th and 8th to play against NJ, Buffalo (maybe) or Ottawa ! Those two teams - if they don't win the Division) will finish at worst 4th or 5th.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:17 PM
zx81

Definitely the Devils.
Habs just can't score against Brodeur and the Devils trap.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Nyclaus

Devils hands down.

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:03 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Trading youth for an injured UFA.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:57 PM
David_99

How do other teams score against Brodeur? Crash the net? Snipers? Screening? Having more of an odd man rush scoring record greater then the Habs 0% so far? Is he just not as pumped against other teams then he is against the Habs?

Where can we find his book!?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:17 PM
SpreeEndaz

I'm scared of natural disasters (lightnings, hurricanes, etc.)

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote