HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calvin de Haan

Old
01-13-2014, 09:58 AM
crasherino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Regardless of what happens as far as the standings go, the emergence of de Haan is a big win for us this year.
And, if it happens that we can't keep this pace up and it looks like we will be sellers more than buyers at the deadline, the emergence of CdH makes me more inclined to want to move AMac at the deadline to recoup the Vanek picks we lost - especially if we want to roll the dice with Vanek and keep him at the deadline even if he's still unsigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Yeah I saw that, I was thinking, holy crap that was de Haan who just crushed that guy. Obviously he's been working on his strength too. Imagine if he could ever get to 200 pounds. Loved Tavares' reaction after scoring against Dallas, pointing to de Haan and basically saying, what a great ****ing pass !
Yeah, that was awesome. He was obviously ecstatic that they just took the lead but it was more than that. It truly was a "HOLY ****....that was an other worldly play!" moment.

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:04 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
Yeah, that was awesome. He was obviously ecstatic that they just took the lead but it was more than that. It truly was a "HOLY ****....that was an other worldly play!" moment.
I think JT mentioned that when he looked at CdH after the goal, he looked like he didn't know how to react or somewhat confused. Johnny had to be like, 'dude that was sick, why aren't you excited?'. LOL.

CdH has ice water in his veins even when he makes a great play. Check that kid for a pulse.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Degeneration Rex

The way CDH is playing you can't wait to watch the next game. It's almost like what is he going to do next? We knew he is skilled and smart, but he has gone beyond anything we could have hoped for, really stunning. Good for him, good for team.

To Cappy and Weight, how about some powerplay time already.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:20 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
The way CDH is playing you can't wait to watch the next game. It's almost like what is he going to do next? We knew he is skilled and smart, but he has gone beyond anything we could have hoped for, really stunning. Good for him, good for team.

Got to get Hamonic off the PP, he's terrible. He can't hit the net with his shot if his life depended on it and he has no offensive vision to move the puck. He either dumps it in the corner or shoots it wide.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:28 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Got to get Hamonic off the PP, he's terrible. He can't hit the net with his shot if his life depended on it and he has no offensive vision to move the puck. He either dumps it in the corner or shoots it wide.
Getting Vis back and getting CdH some PP time could really make a big difference in our PP-effectiveness.

The only problem with giving CdH PP time is that he's already playing 22+ min a night without it. Giving him steady 1st unit time could get him into that 25-30 min category which could ultimately wear him out. He's still only 21 games into his NHL season, and considering the amount of time he's missed the past few years it is uncertain whether or not he can hold up over a full season. Much less a full season that includes 40-50 games of 25+ top pairing NHL minutes.

I won't rule it out though. The kid has been that good.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:32 AM
bigd

Quote:
Getting Vis back and getting CdH some PP time could really make a big difference in our PP-effectiveness.

The only problem with giving CdH PP time is that he's already playing 22+ min a night without it. Giving him steady 1st unit time could get him into that 25-30 min category which could ultimately wear him out. He's still only 21 games into his NHL season, and considering the amount of time he's missed the past few years it is uncertain whether or not he can hold up over a full season. Much less a full season that includes 40-50 games of 25+ top pairing NHL minutes.

He only played 22 minutes because they were running 5 D for the 3rd period. Strait played 21 minutes.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
dspbathroom

Quote:
He only played 22 minutes because they were running 5 D for the 3rd period. Strait played 21 minutes.
Speaking of this, has anyone heard anything about Hamonic?

dspbathroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post

Yeah its a crime that CDH isn't on the PP point with Amac.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:44 AM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspbathroom View Post
Speaking of this, has anyone heard anything about Hamonic?
Apparently Hammer wasn't feeling well after the 2nd. Dehydration I believe.

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:47 AM
dspbathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Apparently Hammer wasn't feeling well after the 2nd. Dehydration I believe.
Thanks!

dspbathroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:57 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
He played 21:22 against COL and 23:30 against TOR the previous two games. Prior to that he was 24 seconds short of 22 minutes against Carolina, and 14 seconds short of 22 against Chicago. I think it's pretty safe to call him a 22-min defenseman at this point, regardless of the 5-man rotation last night.

Old
01-13-2014, 12:00 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:

great post. you nailed it. hopefully it sinks in to others.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:01 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
It's a crime that CdH is 5th on the PP depth chart. The only person they won't put in before him is Brian Strait. Yeesh. 1st unit has AMac, 2nd unit has Hamonic-Donovan, and was Hamonic-Hickey before Donovan came back up, even when CdH was playing.

Though, it's hard to criticize the PP choices at this exact moment because they have been blistering hot during our little winning streak. I still think there's room for improvement, but scoring at 50% clip is something you usually don't mess with at the professional level. Ultimately, I want to eventually see Strome replace Nielsen and CdH replace AMac. I think that puts all of our best PP players on the 1st unit. JT-Vanek-Strome-Okposo-CdH. That has some serious playmaking and puck controlling.

It also allows us to run a 2nd unit of Bailey-Nielsen-Nelson-AMac-Hickey, which is a thousand times better than whatever the heck our 2nd unit is now.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:27 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Nice article by Staple:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...medium=twitter

Old
01-13-2014, 11:59 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
I wonder if anyone on a national level is taking notice of deHaan? Grapes should be mentioning him sooner or later if he keeps it up.

So if Calvin holds serve or continues to improve what's that do to our defense next season?

Hamonic & deHaan
Vis & (Hickey, Reinhart)
AMac & (Hickey, Reinhart)
Strait?

If AMac is traded I don't like Reinhart with Strait so...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:02 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
He's been playing well. I say let him continue to do so without piling more on his plate 20 games into his NHL career.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:34 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I wonder if anyone on a national level is taking notice of deHaan? Grapes should be mentioning him sooner or later if he keeps it up.

So if Calvin holds serve or continues to improve what's that do to our defense next season?

Hamonic & deHaan
Vis & (Hickey, Reinhart)
AMac & (Hickey, Reinhart)
Strait?

If AMac is traded I don't like Reinhart with Strait so...
I think they re-sign AMac to a deal similar to what Hamonic got.

de Haan - Hamonic
Reinhart - Visnovsky
AMac - Hickey
Strait/Carkner

I think that is a solid upgrade over what we went into this season with, even though it's just a slight difference.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:48 AM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

de Haan - Hamonic
Reinhart - Visnovsky
AMac - Hickey
Strait/Carkner

I think that is a solid upgrade over what we went into this season with, even though it's just a slight difference.
But, is that the upgrade that we truly need?

Vis is only getting older and now has concussion history.
AMac wont be on the bottom pairing either, especially if he gets a deal similar to Hamonic's (if he doesnt walk for a bigger contract). Let's say we potentially lose AMac. Are you comfortable with a regular rotation of Strait in that mix instead? I'm not.
I hope deHaan continues to pan out, but at this point its up in the air. I know I've gotten heat for saying that the past few days, but 20 games is way too little to anoint the kid a #1 D savior. He's been playing great, no question. Really hope he kicks ass and continues, but, its still early into his career. He also has had an unfortunate shoulder plague...hopefully it doesnt strike again.
Also, we have no idea what Reinhart will do except for the few games we saw him in the camps and preseason. Like deHaan, way too early to have a proper assessment of his game.

I still believe that we need 1 more veteran presence on that blueline. Pairing a guy like deHaan, Hickey, Reinhart, or even Hammer with potential UFA's such as Morris, Girardi, Mitchell, Green, Meszaros, Niskanen, Sarich, Robidas, Orpik, etc. would do wonders. Do I think the majority of the guys I listed re-up with their current team? Yes, I do. Do I think we have a legitimate chance at some of the guys I named? No, I dont. But, those are just some UFA's I know are coming up off the top of my head.

The D has been playing better, but the group you've listed would be still green compared to most in the NHL. In addition, we've seen what a few injuries can do to the group. We've seen guys like Hammer fall into a regression because it seems he is trying to do too much. That's not his game. Same goes for AMac...though, I dont know why Cappy uses him so much. Guy brain farts 9 out of every 10 plays. I truly believe that another established defenseman would help our prospects grow. I believe it would provide a more calming presence. In addition, it would help slot the D better and place guys into more effective roles.

That would be a solid upgrade, in my opinion.

Last edited by Groin Of Bates: 01-14-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 05:12 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

de Haan - Hamonic
Reinhart - Visnovsky
AMac - Hickey
Strait/Carkner

I think that you are right, that will be Snow's offer. Whether he accepts or not depends on if his agent thinks his market value is higher elsewhere (good bye and good luck lol). I think Hammer money is too much for a mistake prone 3rd pairing guy when he could be pushed out by bigger, more talented replacements in a year or two.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
But, is that the upgrade that we truly need?
It might not be the one we truely need, but it's the most likely scenerio.
Quote:
Vis is only getting older and now has concussion history.
AMac wont be on the bottom pairing either, especially if he gets a deal similar to Hamonic's (if he doesnt walk for a bigger contract).
Regardless of his age and injury history, he would still be in our top 4... even if we signed a couple D men on the UFA market. And 3.5m (Hamonics contract) is the going rate for a 3rd pairing D, so I'm not sure how that prevents him from playing on the bottom pair. Cal Clutterbuck is making more money than a few guys ahead of him too.

Quote:
Let's say we potentially lose AMac. Are you comfortable with a regular rotation of Strait in that mix instead? I'm not.
I view Strait as being even with AMac defensively. Granted, I wouldn't switch the two if I had the choice, but I'm not crying in my beer if it comes down to that.

Quote:
I hope deHaan continues to pan out, but at this point its up in the air. I know I've gotten heat for saying that the past few days, but 20 games is way too little to anoint the kid a #1 D savior. He's been playing great, no question. Really hope he kicks ass and continues, but, its still early into his career. He also has had an unfortunate shoulder plague...hopefully it doesnt strike again.
I can't get on anyone for having their reservations. As you know, I've been a big supporter of Calvin since he was drafted. I consider myself a realist, and I have no problem saying that this kid is not only the real deal, but he's only going to get better with time. That said, injuries are a concern..... but they are a concern for anyone that plays a contact sport. His last one was very similar to the one that sidelined Strait for a whole season. Just a freaky play that could have happened to anyone.

Quote:
Also, we have no idea what Reinhart will do except for the few games we saw him in the camps and preseason. Like deHaan, way too early to have a proper assessment of his game.
I disagree to a point. I've watched the kid a lot, and he's ready for the show. Besides that, in the last two camps he managed to play better than pretty much everyone we had on the blueline other than Visnovsky and Hamonic. He's already made the team once, so it isn't far fetched to say he's going to do it again with even more developmental time under his belt.

Quote:
I still believe that we need 1 more veteran presence on that blueline. Pairing a guy like deHaan, Hickey, Reinhart, or even Hammer with potential UFA's such as Morris, Girardi, Mitchell, Green, Meszaros, Niskanen, Sarich, Robidas, Orpik, etc. would do wonders.
Oh, believe me.... I totally agree with you, and in a perfect world, we get two of those guys. It's not likely to happen though, and we do need veterans if we're going to go with young D.... it's just going to have to be Hamonic, Visnovsky and AMac. That's my thinking anyway. Not optimal, but the most likely scenerio.

Quote:
Do I think the majority of the guys I listed re-up with their current team? Yes, I do. Do I think we have a legitimate chance at some of the guys I named? No, I dont. But, those are just some UFA's I know are coming up off the top of my head.
Well, that's all I'm saying.

Quote:
The D has been playing better, but the group you've listed would be still green compared to most in the NHL. In addition, we've seen what a few injuries can do to the group. We've seen guys like Hammer fall into a regression because it seems he is trying to do too much. That's not his game. Same goes for AMac...though, I dont know why Cappy uses him so much. Guy brain farts 9 out of every 10 plays.
If we only let in a rookie defenseman every couple years, this rebuild is going to take another 3-5 years. At some point, you have to let the kids sink or swim, and for Reinhart that time came awhile ago. Injuries always happen, you can't plan for it, and you will never build a team impervious to it.

Quote:
I truly believe that another established defenseman would help our prospects grow. I believe it would provide a more calming presence. In addition, it would help slot the D better and place guys into more effective roles.That would be a solid upgrade, in my opinion.
In a perfect world, yes. But as even you admitted in this very post.... it isn't likely to happen. So are we to downgrade the defense, because of this by letting AMac walk? AMac becomes that veteran presence.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
I think that you are right, that will be Snow's offer. Whether he accepts or not depends on if his agent thinks his market value is higher elsewhere (good bye and good luck lol).
I get the feeling that he would accept it, but that's just my opinion. You got it right though, if that isn't enough you let him walk.

Quote:
I think Hammer money is too much for a mistake prone 3rd pairing guy when he could be pushed out by bigger, more talented replacements in a year or two.
I actually think it's just about right. That is the going rate for a bottom half defenseman right now (4-5-6). I really believe that as the D improves and he gets less and less responsibilities, he will get better and better. Right now he's not only getting a ton of minutes, but he's facing tougher competition. I feel like he's played better since being dropped to a lower pairing due to the emergence of CdH. And I believe that trend will continue.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:08 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I think JT mentioned that when he looked at CdH after the goal, he looked like he didn't know how to react or somewhat confused. Johnny had to be like, 'dude that was sick, why aren't you excited?'. LOL.

CdH has ice water in his veins even when he makes a great play. Check that kid for a pulse.

Ice water indeed. That's I why I can't wait for Reinhart. He's a 6'4 de Haan with a huge slapper. They play so similar IMO.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:38 AM
bigd

I'm not as high on Hickey as everyone else on this forum. I'll take Strait over him any day of the week. Hickey is not going to get any bigger and we really haven't seen much offense to expect a lot of points from him. He's really been no better than Strait statically. I'm guessing the coaching staff feels the same since they have dropped him down to third pairing minutes with Donovan and Carkner.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:47 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
I'm not as high on Hickey as everyone else on this forum. I'll take Strait over him any day of the week. Hickey is not going to get any bigger and we really haven't seen much offense to expect a lot of points from him. He's really been no better than Strait statically. I'm guessing the coaching staff feels the same since they have dropped him down to third pairing minutes with Donovan and Carkner.
I think they have him with Donovan because he's smart enough and quick enough to cover the rookie's mistakes. I could be wrong though.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:51 AM
leeroggy

Quote:
Hickey didn't play his way down to the third pair, DeHaan played his way up to the first pair. The total team defense has gotten better with Hickey on third pair. He is very good at getting the transition game going. He has a goal and four assists in his last 8 games. That production from a third pair defenseman is GOLD in this league.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote