HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#47| New York Islanders @ Dallas Stars | January 12th | 6:00pm | F/W 4-2

Old
01-12-2014, 09:03 PM
KasparsHipCheck

vCash: 500
I just saw a highlight of Kaner scoring an own goal on a delayed penalty call. It trickled back to his own net so painfully slow, yet he couldn't catch it. My day is officially made.

I thought Note2 is supposed to be nice and light.

KasparsHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:15 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior60 View Post
Great win tonight, they all played a good game but can someone explain to me way Clutterbuck is on the second PP unit.
Or Hamonic for that matter. DeHaan should be out there instead.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:36 PM
LotteryForLife*

This was a nice win and deHaan was the best player on the ice for either team tonight. Should have had an extra goal. That Tavares hack breaking his stick in half was a joke

On a side note. Dallas is awful. Probably the worst team we will see all year. The guy behind our net pounding the glass was pretty funny. What a schmuck. As bad as Dallas is, their uniforms might be the nicest in sports. Well done

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:43 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior60 View Post
Great win tonight, they all played a good game but can someone explain to me way Clutterbuck is on the second PP unit.
guys that have no business on the PP:

MacDonald
Clutterbuck

EVER

guys who should be on the PP:

deHaan
Strome
Nelson
Bailey

The PP is all about passing, vision, smart-fast decisions with the puck. I'm shocked Strome isn't on the 1st PP unit instead of Okposo. Strome on the half wall is fantastic.

They gotta go with:
1) Strome - Tavares - Vanek - Nielsen - deHaan
2) Okposo - Bailey - Nelson - Hickey - Donovan

** Cappy: read this part twice **

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:52 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Yeah, I'm starting to get sick of Clutterbuck being thrown out on the powerplay with 30 seconds left.

30 seconds is enough time to get a scorning chance via the rush but with Clutter's vision and offensive skills, or lack of, the powerplay is essentially over after 1 minute and 30 seconds.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:59 PM
RWWallpaper

When's the last time we trailed in two straight games going to the third period, on the road no less, and won them both? Probably had Kelly Hrudey in goal...lol

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:13 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

JT's winning goal was all CdH. Late in the 3rd period of a tie game on the road... he essentially goes end to end and makes a sick pass to an elite finisher. Game over. That takes balls from a rookie d-man, but it was a calculated risk and he made the most of it. Even if we didn't score, we still had support defensively and his skating ability would allow him to re-join the play if it progressed. There was ZERO hesitation from the moment he got possession of the puck and started the rush with the breakout pass. Not all young defensemen think that way or have that type of awareness. CdH and Tavares are old friends and described as good friends, it's apparent that they're working with similar processors up top.

Physical mistakes will happen, puck fumbles, unlucky plays, etc. This guy rarely makes mental mistakes and has the ability to recover when he does. He learns from it and it isn't repeated. His ability to adjust and level of poise is impressive for someone so inexperienced. He plays like a 10-year vet. I almost don't want to believe what he's showing lately.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:21 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Damn, PW's going to have have catered chili and surf & turf, and I'm going to have to be stuck at work every time the Islanders play....

Great to see another win. Weekend's been a bummer; it's been a year to the day between being a deejay in Europe and a Linux administrator in Texas, but 2 points & a few drinks always put a smile on my face.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Degeneration Rex

The replay of the game is on and in the third period in case you want to see the glorious last few minutes again.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
I like Clutterbuck on the PP, I'm not a SHOOOOT IT! guy, but these guys really do pass too much and there isn't a lot of movement to create a chance. At least he gets shots on net.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:53 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

sad i missed this game, but from watching the highlights, im officially on the dehann bandwagon. ive been impressed with his play the past few games, but felt it was too soon to give him the kind of praise other posters have given him. kids going to be a stud on the blue line for us, and its really rewarding seeing some of the guys develop into good players (for once)

havent been this impressed with the team since last year, they finally are playing decent hockey--maybe too late-- but we'll see what happens. i certainly wont be one to say the season over

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:06 AM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Yeah, I'm starting to get sick of Clutterbuck being thrown out on the powerplay with 30 seconds left.

30 seconds is enough time to get a scorning chance via the rush but with Clutter's vision and offensive skills, or lack of, the powerplay is essentially over after 1 minute and 30 seconds.
Isles trying to boost his points to legitimize the nino trade?

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:09 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
sad i missed this game, but from watching the highlights, im officially on the dehann bandwagon. ive been impressed with his play the past few games, but felt it was too soon to give him the kind of praise other posters have given him. kids going to be a stud on the blue line for us, and its really rewarding seeing some of the guys develop into good players (for once)

havent been this impressed with the team since last year, they finally are playing decent hockey--maybe too late-- but we'll see what happens. i certainly wont be one to say the season over
All aboard deHaanwagon!

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 01:35 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
Isles trying to boost his points to legitimize the nino trade?
Aliens from the 4th dimension have inserted a mind control probe in Capuano and are obviously influencing his decisions. You know when he gets that vacant look on his face? That's when the transmission gets interrupted by a tweet from Staple.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 06:26 AM
Renbarg

Clutterbuck is on the second unit because Capuano has all his eggs in the 1st pp unit. On the second unit he needs a right hander that is a shooter, that's Clutterbuck.

It doesn't really matter though. That first unit stays out there for 90 seconds plus. The only game that the 2nd unit got any kind of significant ice was against Colorado.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:19 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post

and more often, since we're losing the faceoff, it takes us 30 seconds to get set up. so it's really only 1 minute of PP time.

I do not understand the 2nd unit 1 bit. very often if the PP is winding down and there's only 15 seconds left they just throw out the cizikas line. I know we're winning right now, but Capuano really is a dreadful in game coach. The guys might love playing for him, but he does not put the right players on the ice. he doesn't give us an optimal chance to succeed.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
and more often, since we're losing the faceoff, it takes us 30 seconds to get set up. so it's really only 1 minute of PP time.

I do not understand the 2nd unit 1 bit. very often if the PP is winding down and there's only 15 seconds left they just throw out the cizikas line. I know we're winning right now, but Capuano really is a dreadful in game coach. The guys might love playing for him, but he does not put the right players on the ice. he doesn't give us an optimal chance to succeed.
Well depends on how you look at it. I would think our 1st unit has to lead the league in avg shift time per pp. Wouldn't that be optimal? Having your number 1 guys out there the longest?

When he throws the cizikas line out there, he's just throwing in the towel on the pp, and getting the lines back in order.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:39 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Dare I say that I almost had confidence going into the 3rd period that we would at least tie this one up? Very strange feeling indeed.

Very nice little run we're on here. A couple more points in the next couple games and we're right back in this thing.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Words Of Wisdom

That was a sweet win, no doubt about it. CDH is playing at such a high level. The confidence he had to pinch in and make that play on the game winning goal, what a beautiful play. Also, I feel Poulin deserves a bit more praise, the guy has been good. Just keep winning, we're in the midst of things.

Words Of Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 02:08 PM
YearlyLottery

I kept thinking of how to describe this game..... The only word I could come up with is AWESOME.

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote