HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Emptyvoid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
You play?
Yep just started playing a few months ago, game is intense.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Yep just started playing a few months ago, game is intense.
It is. How do you prefer to play? The way I play involves me being really quiet and teching lots of gold and production so I can advance fast, then I start to make a military once I get around the industrial time.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:35 PM
noupf

Plasma or LCD Televsion....what do you watch hockey games on ?

So here's my situation, I am looking to get a new big screen TV. Something around 50" or so. I am somewhat tech savy, but I dont know what to do at this point. I am in the air between a plasma or and LCD. I currently have a couple of LED LCD's as bedroom tv's ( both are 32" samsungs, different models, a couple years apart and I like the picture quality.....for the most part. All are 60hz TV's, and none are "junk".....they are middle-upper range LCD's in terms of quality when purchased. I have always felt that when watching a fast paced program such as hockey, i notice that something isnt quite right with the way the tv tries to keep up with the speed of motion on the screen ( which i know is the slight knock against LCD's ). I know that i would want to go with 120hz or 240hz processors on the big screen, but i've heard that there is still an issue with those models keeping up with high speed movement on the screens.....thats its just the nature of LCD's.

I love watching sports, especially hockey on my plasma ( which is also a mid range samsung from about 5 years ago ). In the tech world, plasmas, are by far the best in terms of picture quality and show true motion, clear as day, however, plasmas are slowly disappearing. I also need to put this TV in a room that has windows directly opposite of the screen. Plasmas usually show glare ( even if they have an anti-glare coating on them, while LCD's virtually show no glare. )

So, heres my situation.......

option #1......purchase a quality plasma, to get a great picture, flawless motion when watching sports and high paced movies, but deal with possible reflection issues in the room where it goes.

Option #2......purchase a quality LED LCD TV, with the 120hz or 240hz processors and hope that the processors makes enough of a difference in keeping up with high speed content that I dont notice it.

What do you have and what are your experiences??? Anybody with quality LED LCD's with 120 or 240 processors, is the motion super clear and near flawless? Any shadow effects when watching hockey?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

PS.....i am not into gaming, so i don't care about that end of the spectrum.

Thanks !!

Old
01-13-2014, 02:48 PM
azaloum90

I have both actually, so I'll give you my take.

We have a 50" LED in the house. It's in our living room, which is very bright, therefore we need a bright TV with matted glass. It does the job well. The ice is very bright, picture is very clear (this particular set we have has awful speakers)

In my Room, I have a 51" Samsung Plasma. Though the ice is nowhere near as bright as the LED, the picture is "deeper", meaning the ice looks like it has depth, and isn't as "flat". My room is very dark, so I have no issues with lighting, and I rarely watch TV during the day anyway.

a 60Hz LED is NOT something I'd recommend for fast paced sports, but 120Hz has this "fake" look to it, though I would imagine it would be super nice to watch hockey on.

Personally, I put my Samsung Plasma into "Game" mode which takes out most of the picture enhancements, and I turned the brightness and contrast very high. Doing so, I get bright-er picture (comparable to the LED) with a deep picture and solid colors (depending on how good your calibration is... it'll take you a few weeks of tinkering to find the right settings).

I'm a plasma guy. I had an LCD before this... Though it was nice, people had this "flat" look to them, especially when watching TV Shows in HD. Didn't have cable at the time so I couldn't compare in the same enviroment, but the 600Hz refresh rate on the Plasma is killer. I wouldn't go back to LED unless I move out of my room (not for several years, still in school) and get a very bright apartment.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Vidic15

I have a 50" plasma myself. I steered clear of LCD and LED because of the low refresh rates (120, 240) and inferior viewing angles. You need to be watching the screen straight on to be able to see the full contrast. Low refresh rates make the movement on the screen look unnatural and fast sports like hockey with a bit of motion blur. My next TV will be OLED for sure. It will probably be another 2 or 3 years before they come down to a reasonable price for your average consumer, though.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
It is. How do you prefer to play? The way I play involves me being really quiet and teching lots of gold and production so I can advance fast, then I start to make a military once I get around the industrial time.
Similarly. I tend to play tall and like to advance tech faster than other civs. I'll make military here and now, enough so people don't think I'm an easy target.

I like playing with Poland and Babylon. Been trying culture victories recently with tourism.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

IMO, if you can wrangle in at least some control over the ambient lighting in your viewing room, Plasma is head and shoulders above LCD/LED. It's a real shame that the technology is slowly evaporating from the market.

I've had a 42" Panasonic plasma for about 7 years now and it's been pretty much flawless. In my current place there are a lot more windows and I only notice issues with glare during very dark scenes. If you can avoid direct sunlight, the glare issues are generally pretty minor.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:12 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Are we playing some mother****ing Civ 5?

I'm down all day, err' day.

Also Europa Universalis.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Similarly. I tend to play tall and like to advance tech faster than other civs. I'll make military here and now, enough so people don't think I'm an easy target.

I like playing with Poland and Babylon. Been trying culture victories recently with tourism.
I usually play with the United States because you can purchase land a little cheaper, or with the Romans because your production of things outside of your capital is 25% faster if your capital already has them, so it helps me build my cities up and helps me make workers to build markets, etc.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:31 PM
nevesis

Plasma is DEAD. LED with 120hz minimum, or 240hz for watching hockey is the way to go.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:33 PM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

vCash: 2319
Civ 5 is pretty awesome. I also like the tech victory route, but sometimes I just like to go out and conquer.

Crusader Kings 2 ASOIAF mod is the GOAT btw

Old
01-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDing View Post
Civ 5 is pretty awesome. I also like the tech victory route, but sometimes I just like to go out and conquer.

Crusader Kings 2 ASOIAF mod is the GOAT btw
Haven't tried any mods out yet, what does that one do?

Old
01-13-2014, 03:39 PM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Converts it to an accurate Game of Thrones universe. Has different scenarios from the history and the current books.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Brady Skjei

Guys, Margot Robbie is a huge Rangers fan.. anyone who's seen the Wolf of Wall Street knows why I would be so happy about this. Glad to have her on our side..

Old
01-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Blurt Vision

If someone could make a recommendation I'd be grateful...I want to upload some mp3 audio only interviews to youtube. I have Win8...what program is the best for someone who is kinda lower level tech competent? Thanks...

Old
01-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
Playoff avys?

Old
01-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Playoff avys?

For the OT people yeah, everyone else will be mad mad mad.

01-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

Just like 'Boyle, pls' and draw Boyle in paint.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

The guy who was playing as Russia thought it was a good idea to attack my island city that just got built; now there are 6 cannons and 16 assorted melee and ranged units attacking his capitol city.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Canada loses the final to Sweden in the NHL sim of the Olympics on the Olympics board.

Conodo, pls

Old
01-13-2014, 04:31 PM
EpicDing
The Fellowship

Swodin pls. Linqoost pls.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers Fail View Post
Canada loses the final to Sweden in the NHL sim of the Olympics on the Olympics board.

Conodo, pls
USA lost to Norway.

lolol

Old
01-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurt Vision View Post
If someone could make a recommendation I'd be grateful...I want to upload some mp3 audio only interviews to youtube. I have Win8...what program is the best for someone who is kinda lower level tech competent? Thanks...
If you only care about the audio, and want a static image on top, the standard windows movie maker should be fine. now, i have no idea if that still even comes with it.

actually, i think youtube even has basic video editing options now, which may be enough

01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

stonloy cop, pls

Old
01-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

I remember someone did a NHL14 sim of that Buffalo-Ottawa series, it was ****ing retarded. Dany Heatly had like 10 goals.

Closed Thread