HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013-2014 Blues Discussion Thread - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2014, 05:49 PM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
Toronto's is horrendous as well. ALL red... And LARGE red circles. Not a single blue.

It's definitely cool to check out the difference in teams. Chicago looks really good.

Old
01-13-2014, 12:59 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Sexy Hitchcock quote alert:

Quote:
The Olympic pairing of Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester has exciting possibilities for the Blues. The stage will be large and the competition intense. With the NHL playoffs up ahead, the full-tilt experience Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo share in Sochi might just catapult them to another level, a level Ken Hitchcock believes exists.

“I don’t think they’re a natural fit yet,” said the Blues’ mentor who is an assistant coach for Team Canada. “I think they’re a work in progress. I don’t think they are the perfect fit because they have a chance to get a lot better than they are even now. I think there’s another level they can play at.”

Hitchcock explained the 6-foot-3 Pietrangelo and 6-foot-4 Bouwmeester don’t mesh naturally because they are too much alike.

“They’re both jumpers,” he added. “They’re going to have to learn to share the puck more. They’re learning to balance that out, where one guy is going and the other guy is backing him up. And I think they’re still in that stage where they’re learning to read.

“I think they’re probably at 50 percent where they’re going to be at the end of the year. They’re good, but there’s another level they can get to.”
(I know, I had you at Sexy Hitchcock.)

Old
01-13-2014, 01:42 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I don't think it's too early to start talking playoffs. If we let the Hawks overtake us for first, we very likely draw Colorado. IMO they're as close to a bye as you can get in the West. Huge, overachieving feel-good regular season followed by a tight checking playoff style for which the Avs don't seem well-suited. I just don't see a real scenario where we'd let them dictate tempo in a playoff series. We'd have them in their own zone A LOT.

The downside is then Chicago has home ice in round 2. Which might not be bad if we go in there and play our A game and re-take home ice in the first two games. As opposed to losing one of the first two at home and losing home ice to start off on the defensive footing. Something to think about.

Of course, right now Vancouver looks like wildcard 1 and the final spot is close between Phoenix and Minnesota.

The main point is it's hard to envision a scenario where the Blues and Hawks don't finish top two in the Central. So round 1 is us hosting Colorado, Vancouver, Phoenix, or Minnesota in all likelihood. A team could drop or streak to change that equation, of course, but among those teams who would you rather face, recognizing that if Colorado (certainly as things stand now) is the opponent we probably start round 2 in Chicago.

Personally I think Colorado would be the easiest opponent of the choices, even as I'll be unable to actively root for the Hawks to win the division over the Blues.

Easiest to hardest IMO (matching up against Blues):
Colorado
Minnesota
Vancouver
Phoenix

Old
01-13-2014, 01:50 AM
KirkOut
Activate the Omega13

vCash: 50
Good points. I would rather play Phoenix or Minny in the 1st round though. I think any of Smith, Varlamov, and Harding are equally likely or unlikely to steal game(s), but those two teams don't have the firepower up front to score a bunch of goals on us like the Avs do. Also we have had trouble against the Avs it seems in the last few years.

That said I like our chances against all 3. I would say in order I'd like to face
1. Minnesota
2. Phoenix
3. Colorado

Old
01-13-2014, 09:53 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

O'Neil also mentioned in that article that Steen is close. I wonder if we'll see him by the end of the homestand.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:55 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

My order would be:
Colorado
Minnesota
Phoenix
Vancouver

Vancouver has a ton of playoff experience and the Sedins are still more than capable of taking over a series. I think we would beat all four, but I think the Canucks would be the most difficult draw.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#firstroundexit

I think Minny is a lot harder than a lot of people think. Them and Vancouver will be difficult, much easier than a Colorado or Phoenix.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:49 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Korac said Steen is on the ice for practice.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:52 AM
ManyIdeas

I wonder how many games until his head gets targeted again

Old
01-13-2014, 11:06 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Steen is also wearing a dark blue jersey, so his return should be close.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:08 AM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Steen is also wearing a dark blue jersey, so his return should be close.
But he's the fourth forward. I'm inclined to think he's close but not quite. I see him returning in the kings or ducks games but not Phoenix.

Old
01-13-2014, 01:22 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

This is interesting:

JR tweeted, "Cole is skating with Polak and Leopold with Colaiacovo. Appears Cole could stay in the lineup and Leopold come out".

I think Cole has played well enough to stay in the lineup, but we're paying Leo to be an every day player. It's an interesting situation.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:34 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
This is interesting:

JR tweeted, "Cole is skating with Polak and Leopold with Colaiacovo. Appears Cole could stay in the lineup and Leopold come out".

I think Cole has played well enough to stay in the lineup, but we're paying Leo to be an every day player. It's an interesting situation.
Cole has played well enough to stay in the lineup. He's likely gonna rotate Leopold and Cole while they're healthy. There's a decent chance another defender is injured before the season is up so everyone will get time. But I'm glad Cole is in.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:37 PM
ManyIdeas

I'm very pleased with Cole, and very glad that Hitch has faith it seems. One of the last games he logged just shy of 18 or 19 minutes, and just shy of 6 of those were shorthanded.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:56 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I think Phoenix plays a more correct playoff style than the other three teams. They are built defensively and in goal first, and they're a team that's some timely scoring away from an upset or two. They did it during the last full season and they're well-coached with OEL better than he was then.

Vancouver has playoff experience, yes, but they're definitely off their peak and they've looked downright awful the last two postseason runs. That's my justification for saying I'd rather draw them than Phoenix.

Minnesota has some excellent pieces but some of them are very young. They're just not deep enough to compete with the West powers yet. But I have them more difficult than Colorado because they play a more physical, playoff-style game. Colorado has a much more wide open style that just doesn't translate to the playoffs. Think about our intelligent forwards constantly disrupting Colorado's play in the neutral zone. We'd be intercepting passes and taking it right back in the Avs' zone all game long. I just think an Avs series would be pretty easy.

COL .678 (third in Central)
Wild Card Race:
1. VAN .620
2. PHX .580
3. MIN .573

Right now Anaheim has a better record so they'd get WC2 and we'd get WC1.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:15 PM
BlueDream

I look at the Avs kind of like how I looked at the Blues from a few years ago in 2009 when we made our first postseason appearance after/during the rebuild. I think Colorado is a better team than we were then, but I just don't think they have the experience yet to really know how to adjust to the playoffs. They have a great future for sure, but this year, they will likely have to lose early to be able to learn what it takes. But after the past couple seasons, just making the playoffs is probably satisfying for their fanbase.

I don't think Minnesota would be much tougher than Colorado. They still aren't very physical and don't really have that great of depth. Plus, we seem to have owned them lately. When's the last time they beat us? They don't frighten me at all.

Vancouver and Phoenix would be the two toughest matchups out of the 4. I think we could beat either but I'd rather face Phoenix between those two. Maybe just because of Vancouver's better star power, but they seem to play us really tough every time.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:26 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I don't think the Blues and Canucks are as close as this season's regular season results suggest. That team has no ability to withstand the heavy playoff intensity we would bring. I watched both Kings-Canucks and Sharks-Canucks the past two years and it was just embarrassing how unable the Canucks were at coping with the New West heavy game.

These would be the brackets if the season ended today (with the closest race between Phoenix and Minnesota for the final spot):

Blues v. Canucks
Hawks v. Avs

Ducks v. Coyotes
Sharks v. Kings

Winner of each bracket plays for representing the West.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:32 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I have very little respect for Minnesota as a playoff opponent, from their head coach down to their inexperienced depth and lack of physicality. Colorado is deeper (especially if they get Tanguay back) and despite handling them this year, they would scare me a bit, especially on the road in Games 3 and 4.

I honestly think the Blues would sweep the Wild.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:26 PM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I don't think the Blues and Canucks are as close as this season's regular season results suggest. That team has no ability to withstand the heavy playoff intensity we would bring. I watched both Kings-Canucks and Sharks-Canucks the past two years and it was just embarrassing how unable the Canucks were at coping with the New West heavy game.

These would be the brackets if the season ended today (with the closest race between Phoenix and
Try telling that to the Vancouver fans haha. Man they were being a bunch of snobs in their GDT after our game the other night. They "aren't scared of the Blues" and rank us in the 6-8 range of teams, well outside "contender" range. I had a good laugh at that, considering how bad Vancouver is. It's a shame that we played them poorly and their goalie saved their butts, it would be nice to lay into them in our next meeting.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:50 PM
taylord22

My biggest fear of playing Minny over Col is that Minny is capable of locking down and playing a competent shell. Col is not.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:52 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

No one here should be worried about Minnesota or Colorado.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:00 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
No one here should be worried about Minnesota or Colorado.
Agreed but we are hashing out our reasons about why one is slightly more preferred than the other. We nitpick tons of details, why not in talking about our small pool of potential first round playoff opponents?

I think we should beat all 4 handily, but we better not look past them to Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylord22 View Post
My biggest fear of playing Minny over Col is that Minny is capable of locking down and playing a competent shell. Col is not.
This is my rationale for Minny being slightly less preferred. Also they have more recent playoff experience than Colorado.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:06 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

If we want to nitpick, Minnesota's lack of depth will allow us to steamroll through them as long as we play our game.

Colorado has potential to be dangerous, but lets see how their defense holds up in the playoffs, as well as their lack of experience.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

The Avalanche are a team I'm slightly worried about since we've had trouble with them in prior years, but I'm confident we could take them out in 5 games. The first round shouldn't be a huge problem for our team, it's the next couple rounds that will be the most troublesome. We'll see how our team holds up against one of the California powerhouses.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:16 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
If we want to nitpick, Minnesota's lack of depth will allow us to steamroll through them as long as we play our game.

Colorado has potential to be dangerous, but lets see how their defense holds up in the playoffs, as well as their lack of experience.
Tangentially, I brought up Schwartz for Gormley a couple years ago and Schwartz for Brodin also. We've talked already about the former but the latter would mitigate the sting, because Brodin is going to be good. Say the Blues had done that trade back at the end of the 11-12 season or in summer 2012. Armstrong saying to the fan base, look, I'm going to keep trying to fill the hole now but if we can't get another team to trade with at least we have this very high caliber prospect who'll be good pretty soon.

I think there's a decent chance the Bouwmeester trade still goes down, and yeah you have no Schwartz but your top four is Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo, Brodin-Shattenkirk. That's crazy. Brodin is going to be very, very good so at least that idea would've had some strong consolation.

Closed Thread