HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Canadian Canucks fans

Old
01-10-2014, 02:34 PM
BobbyJazzLegs
Sorry 4 Acting Werd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieboy15 View Post

I'm moving to Australia with my girlfriend (who is an Australian living in Sweden) in about 2 weeks. Will be living in Noosa, I've picked up on that there apparently is a lot of Canucks fans living around Melbourne through the Canucks Australia facebook page, but if you know any fans around Brissy (Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast) throw em at me!

Also I'm looking to referee/coach/play hockey in Au, do you have any clue on how to do this or who to talk to? Shoot a PM my way if you can help.

Very nice to see that there are more of you guys out there, even tho we're all very far apart! We're a struggling bunch but we do what we can! Go Canucks Go!
That's great to hear! I'm from the Sunshine Coast myself (Bribie Island). Good luck with finding any hockey. It's going to be hard due to the climate. However, I do know some former work colleagues who play in Brisbane, but it's pretty beginner level stuff as far as I know.

BobbyJazzLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 03:05 PM
carolinacanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdefenestrator View Post
Another fan living in North Carolina. I've bounced around the US and the world a bit, living in New Orleans, DC, and Melbourne (Australia), and I have never met another Canucks fan in person.
haha nice.

i would have bet money i'm the only fan in NC with a canucks bumper sticker. do you have one?

carolinacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 03:27 PM
pdefenestrator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacanuck View Post
haha nice.

i would have bet money i'm the only fan in NC with a canucks bumper sticker. do you have one?
Sadly, that is something I lack. However, I do have Canucks mud mats in my car, and my collection of Canuck MacFarlands are displayed prominently on a shelf in my office.

pdefenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 03:33 PM
carolinacanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdefenestrator View Post
Sadly, that is something I lack. However, I do have Canucks mud mats in my car, and my collection of Canuck MacFarlands are displayed prominently on a shelf in my office.
nice.

i've got a canucks grill cover on my porch and i've got a car flag i put on during playoffs like they do back in vancity.

carolinacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Carmina2000

Seems like a good thread to come out of lurkdom...
I'm (France) French living in (UK) London and became a Canucks fan when living in Vancouver a few years ago.
So it's 3 am games, highlights and sleep deprivation during the playoffs. I have no Canucks fan around me, and people just don't get the getting up at 3am...

Carmina2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Jonnieboy15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJazzLegs View Post
That's great to hear! I'm from the Sunshine Coast myself (Bribie Island). Good luck with finding any hockey. It's going to be hard due to the climate. However, I do know some former work colleagues who play in Brisbane, but it's pretty beginner level stuff as far as I know.
That's more than I expected! I fly in to Brisbane on feb 4th, already have 2 jobs lines up, don't really know what will happen after that, my visa allows me to stay for one year (I can extend it to 2) and I have no clue what to do. I will travel around AU for sure, but I've also looked into coaching and refereeing since there seem to be no clubs around Brisbane (If the Blue Tongs does not return).

I have been coaching 8 year olds and refereeing junior hockey before so I thought maybe I could help with that somewhere. I'll get in touch with some clubs while I'm in the area!

We should meet up and watch some games at a pub somewhere, would be nice to have someone to talk hockey with over a few beers in the land of kangaroos and rugby!

Jonnieboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Jyrki21
This!! ↓↓ Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
I find that surprising considering the abundance of Swedes Vancouver has had recently.
The one time I visited Sweden (2001 - Stockholm and Lund), I was pretty disappointed at how poorly the Canucks were reflected in the national hockey consciousness. It was the Sedins' rookie year, Näslund and Öhlund had already played in an NHL All-Star game (albeit had not fully blossomed yet), and the Canucks had a pretty decent Swedish history going back to guys like Gradin, Sundström, Lars Lindgren, etc. The only NHL names I ever saw anywhere were Forsberg, Sundin and Lidström.

I lived in Switzerland for a year and never met a Canuck fan there (but I saw about zero NHL references in my time there, anyway).

I once chased down a guy at Nationwide Arena (Blue Jackets hosting the Rangers) because he was in a black Bure jersey. Turns out he was an Ohian, who had come to like the Canucks because of Bure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Taipei, Taiwan.

Not a big deal because I grew up in Vancouver. Working in Taiwan right now.
I spent one day in Taipei a few years ago (a planned long layover between flights), and on my way into town from the airport, I got help with where I was going from a (Western) guy in an Oilers hat carrying a hockey bag. Thought it was kind of hilarious.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 02:29 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
I spent one day in Taipei a few years ago (a planned long layover between flights), and on my way into town from the airport, I got help with where I was going from a (Western) guy in an Oilers hat carrying a hockey bag. Thought it was kind of hilarious.
You're pretty lucky to spot someone wearing NHL gear in the only day you spent here.

I've seen two guys wear NHL gear on random occasions, one was wearing a Pens t-shirt, and one guy was wearing a Lucic Bruins shirt.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 03:57 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieboy15 View Post
I'm moving to Australia with my girlfriend (who is an Australian living in Sweden) in about 2 weeks. Will be living in Noosa, I've picked up on that there apparently is a lot of Canucks fans living around Melbourne through the Canucks Australia facebook page, but if you know any fans around Brissy (Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast) throw em at me!

Also I'm looking to referee/coach/play hockey in Au, do you have any clue on how to do this or who to talk to? Shoot a PM my way if you can help.
I have no idea i'm sorry mate. If you're in Noosa, you're frankly going to be lucky to find a rink nearby. I'm over the other side of the country so I can't help you there.

The AIHL (http://www.theaihl.com/) is a thing, but there's no Queensland team... Frankly if you're used to playing beer league in Sweden you're going to be absolutely dominating any local competitions you can find here. Your best bet would probably be Brisbane, and walking into any ice rink you can find and asking them. Most capital cities will have a few (Perth has 2 for example) and that is where any hockey will happen.

Field hockey and floorball is going to be much easier to find.

Also Rugby League sucks, follow a good sport like AFL

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 04:45 AM
billvanseattle

Interesting ... a few comments

1 - unlike most on Hf I have been to Noosa, saved sisters vacation house from a run away fire 29 years ago.

2 - I was supposed to be honored tomorrow with a pin for having season's tickets since 1970. reality is they are in my name, but my dad (RIP) was responsible for them until 2004 when he died.

3 I live in ferndale WA and my kids live in white rock (well one moved downtown today) and grew up in WV and worked in NV for 9 years. do i count as a non BCer now???

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Jonnieboy15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
I have no idea i'm sorry mate. If you're in Noosa, you're frankly going to be lucky to find a rink nearby. I'm over the other side of the country so I can't help you there.

The AIHL (http://www.theaihl.com/) is a thing, but there's no Queensland team... Frankly if you're used to playing beer league in Sweden you're going to be absolutely dominating any local competitions you can find here. Your best bet would probably be Brisbane, and walking into any ice rink you can find and asking them. Most capital cities will have a few (Perth has 2 for example) and that is where any hockey will happen.

Field hockey and floorball is going to be much easier to find.

Also Rugby League sucks, follow a good sport like AFL
Thanks for the tips!

I've heard the complete opposite about the AFL, that it's ****.. I have no idea how to play either footy, rugby or cricket so I think I'll be alright watching the NHL and maybe catch a couple of A-League games.

I'll try find a rink somewhere nearby and play some pickup or beer league, I haven't played professionally in 4 years so I might not be that much better, gonna look for somewhere where I can go in and play like Gretzky tho, thats more fun.

Jonnieboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Zammer

I'm from North Vancouver but I have been living in Utah for the last 7 years. Strangely, the personalized license plate Canucks was already taken. So I would assume there is another Canucks fan living around here. I bought the Center Ice package the first year I lived here but I've been using online streams since.

Zammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:30 AM
dlocal

Oregon, Oh. Been a Canucks fan since 1999.

dlocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:33 AM
Jyrki21
This!! ↓↓ Seriously!

In China right now, will keep an eye out.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Frewen

English guy here, been a Nucks fan for about 11 years now since I taped a VAN - COL game shown on our crappiest terrestrial channel at the time (5 I think?). The only saving grace was the NA sports, NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL that they showed in the early hours. I was curious about (ice) hockey and so used my Dad's VCR to record a game.

Decided to support one of the teams in that game and (controversially?!) preferred the Orca to Colorado's smart 3rd uni. Of course if I knew the calibre of the Avs at the time I might have changed my mind!

Three jerseys owned, all genuine and the import tax is a killer!

Frewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Nucks44

Hartford, Connecticut here, became a canucks fan in 1993 after seeing Pavel Bure in the NHL all-star game. He was absolutely electrifying and being only 9yrs old I was hooked. I went to every game they played against the Whalers before they moved.

Nucks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:18 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frewen View Post
English guy here, been a Nucks fan for about 11 years now since I taped a VAN - COL game shown on our crappiest terrestrial channel at the time (5 I think?). The only saving grace was the NA sports, NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL that they showed in the early hours. I was curious about (ice) hockey and so used my Dad's VCR to record a game.

Decided to support one of the teams in that game and (controversially?!) preferred the Orca to Colorado's smart 3rd uni. Of course if I knew the calibre of the Avs at the time I might have changed my mind!

Three jerseys owned, all genuine and the import tax is a killer!
You were probably nudged that way by the Canuck supporting presenter who never stopped talking about faceoffs being the most important thing ever and judged every trade by the amount of goals per regular season each player was good for. I liked him, but the trade thing especially annoyed me.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

From GVRD and currently living in the middle east for the last 7 years. Prior to living in the middle east (2 different countries) aince 2001 I lived in Ireland, Scotland, Australia, Canada again x2 and the US.

So hockey been very much hit or miss especially before the internet really became an option.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Aqualung

Dual citizen of Canada and US. Born and raised in Vancouver then moved 13 years ago to Oregon.
Gamecenter is my god.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Royal Canuck
M-V-P

vCash: 814
As a local, this thread is so cool to read and see how far our team has gone in terms of fan base.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You have to hate losing, more than you love winning. "
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Oddrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havre View Post
One in Norway. Never even talked to another Canucks fan in Norway. Once I have seen someone wearing a Sedin t-shirt.

For Europeans it makes sense to follow East Coast teams. I'll get up early to watch the big games, but I'm not going to get up at 4AM for every home game.

In Norway hockey is not exactly a big thing. Zuccarello gets a lot of attention, but that is mainly because he is doing quite well at the moment (in Norway any athlete in any kind of sport will get attention as long as he/she is doing well - I guess quite typical for a small country).
Lots of Penguins fans here(as well as Zuckers), but I know 5 Canucks fans here in Norway,myself included.

Oddrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Frewen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
You were probably nudged that way by the Canuck supporting presenter who never stopped talking about faceoffs being the most important thing ever and judged every trade by the amount of goals per regular season each player was good for. I liked him, but the trade thing especially annoyed me.
Ha probably, though I was only 15/16 at the time and entirely new to game so it was all exciting to me!

I try to watch the games live but it's only really possible on the weekends, matinee face offs or possibly east coast games

Frewen is offline   Reply With Quote