Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Mike Yeo Discussion #2

Old
01-13-2014, 06:21 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

vCash: 500
It seems as his coaching get u a level when he knows that his job is in jeopardy..

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:47 AM
TheeNorthStar

It's incredible how he can be so close to being cut loose. Then being safe a week later. Like what the hell.

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:53 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
he wasn't close to being cut.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:02 AM
grN1g

i have this weird feeling that Koivu and Parise's injuries couldn't have came at a better time for Yeo and this team in general. With out going into great detail it just feels like its allowing yeo to grow as a coach (imo) and possibly finally see what he fully has in this team and what a fully healthy team needs to be in terms of lines and whos playing when and how much etc...

it feels good, with these recent wins im getting more excited after every game and more optimistic. Just hoping Yeo can finally pull this team together to how we started and keep it at that level the remainder of the season & hopefully if we make it, into the playoffs.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:28 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
i have this weird feeling that Koivu and Parise's injuries couldn't have came at a better time for Yeo and this team in general. With out going into great detail it just feels like its allowing yeo to grow as a coach (imo) and possibly finally see what he fully has in this team and what a fully healthy team needs to be in terms of lines and whos playing when and how much etc...

it feels good, with these recent wins im getting more excited after every game and more optimistic. Just hoping Yeo can finally pull this team together to how we started and keep it at that level the remainder of the season & hopefully if we make it, into the playoffs.
The other positive these injuries created wis that it seemed to light a fire under some certain player's behinds, most notably Coyle.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:02 AM
LumberjackBro

vCash: 848
Quote:
I agree the games are getting enjoyable again. I know longer have to blow the dust off my goal horn (kazzoo) prior to its use.

I'm hoping for the playoffs just like any other fan, but I think we've seen that Yeo has hit is coaching ceiling. This team is better than last game heroics or incredible second half run requirements into the playoffs.

I don't think we win a playoff series with Yeo at the helm. I'm ready to do what we need to do as a team for a change, even if that means missing the playoffs this year.

LumberjackBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

During the win streak:

Shot differential = -5.5 per game
Goal differential = +1.8 per game
Shooting percentage = 15.2%
Save percentage = 94.2%

The rest of the season:

Shot differential = +0.4 per game
Goal differential = -0.3 per game
Shooting percentage = 8.4%
Save percentage = 90.5%

Or the losing stretch:

Shot differential = -7.3 per game
Goal differential = -1.3 per game
Shooting percentage = 7.3%
Save percentage = 90.3%

I think I would characterize the Wild's recent play as "unsustainable", given that the shooting and save percentages are quite high.

Still, when you give the games the old eye test, they are playing better IMO. They are getting better quality chances from the middle of the ice and all four lines are playing well.

Honestly, I don't know what this means for Mike Yeo or Mikko Koivu or Zach Parise. You would expect the team to score 12-13 goals and give up 15-16 goals under normal circumstances (using the season averages), but they have scored 21 and given up 10.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:15 AM
BigT2002

Parise and Koivu coming back may actually hurt this team more than help Never in a million years thought I would type that either.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:26 AM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
The other positive these injuries created wis that it seemed to light a fire under some certain player's behinds, most notably Coyle.
I think it's half fire and half that Coyle is using his size in a different manner now that he's not with Koivu. With Koivu and Parise, Coyle was only used in the corners and behind the net. He got in there, took a body, and put the puck back in the corner for Koivu. Koivu took a body and put the puck back in the corner for Coyle. Never did they focus on creating a scoring chance out front.

Now with Heater and Zucker, Coyle can do two things differently. One, this line doesn't needlessly dump it in every time through the neutral zone. This allows Coyle to drive the net and either open up space in the slot for a quality shot or beat a defender and receive a quick one on one with the goalie. Defenders must stick to him as a big body. Second, Coyle can work himself free out front. He's a big dude capable of this. He's no longer relegated b*tch work behind the net for Koivu.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:36 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Parise and Koivu coming back may actually hurt this team more than help Never in a million years thought I would type that either.
Not to be Buzz Killington or anything, but we've been facing some truly awful teams.
  • The mini-win streak started against Buffalo, literally the undisputed worst team in the league.
  • Then we beat the Caps...which was their fourth straight loss and their sixth in seven games.
  • Next was LA, and we handed them their sixth loss in seven games, and even that we had to take to a shootout.
  • We beat Phoenix, which was their ninth loss in twelve games––somehow that seems like a good streak compared to the rest of the opponents we've been facing.
  • We lost a crucial division game to Colorado (who are a decent team but really shouldn't look nearly as invincible against us as they do)
  • Then we beat the Perds which was (you guessed it!) their sixth loss in seven games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that we're winning games, but these lulls in the schedule where you get stretches against bad opponents are exactly where you're expected to make up ground if you're going to do so. This is an awesome opportunity for the kids to develop some chemistry and confidence, and to get us back into the playoff bubble. But it doesn't prove that we're turning a corner or anything. If guys like Coyle, Heatley, Zucker, Niederreiter, and Scandella can keep up their current success, it will be a huge help down the road, but even then we'll still be very thankful for the help if Parise and Koivu can come back right around the time the schedule starts getting tough again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think I would characterize the Wild's recent play as "unsustainable", given that the shooting and save percentages are quite high.

Still, when you give the games the old eye test, they are playing better IMO. They are getting better quality chances from the middle of the ice and all four lines are playing well.

Honestly, I don't know what this means for Mike Yeo or Mikko Koivu or Zach Parise. You would expect the team to score 12-13 goals and give up 15-16 goals under normal circumstances (using the season averages), but they have scored 21 and given up 10.
There's a caveat that I think is underappreciated with stats like shot differentials: teams with a comfortable lead tend to take fewer shots, especially if they jump out to that lead fairly early. I remember after the Toronto game in October where we lost 4-1, everyone (even Don Cherry!) was saying that the Wild played better and "deserved" to win or at least be closer, because we held the puck more and took 37 shots to their 14. But the Leafs scored on two of their first three shots and played pretty much the whole game with a comfortable lead. Outshooting a team that's playing most of the game to protect a lead really isn't that impressive. And now we're kind of seeing the opposite side of that: we're getting some early leads against some weak teams where we can afford to let up and play conservatively, so, yeah, of course the shot differential is going to go against us.

Last edited by llamapalooza: 01-13-2014 at 11:46 AM.
llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:44 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Not to be Buzz Killington or anything, but we've been facing some truly awful teams.
  • The mini-win streak started against Buffalo, literally the undisputed worst team in the league.
  • Then we beat the Caps...which was their fourth straight loss and their sixth in seven games.
  • Next was LA, and we handed them their sixth loss in seven games, and even that we had to take to a shootout.
  • We beat Phoenix, which was their ninth loss in twelve games––somehow that seems like a good streak compared to the rest of the opponents we've been facing.
  • We lost a crucial division game to Colorado (who are a decent team but really shouldn't look nearly as invincible against us as they do)
  • Then we beat the Perds which was (you guessed it!) their sixth loss in seven games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that we're winning games, but these lulls in the schedule where you get stretches against bad opponents are exactly where you're expected to make up ground if you're going to do so. This is an awesome opportunity for the kids to develop some chemistry and confidence, and to get us back into the playoff bubble. But it doesn't prove that we're turning a corner or anything. If guys like Coyle, Heatley, Zucker, Niederreiter, and Scandella can keep up their current success, it will be a huge help down the road, but even then we'll still be very thankful for the help if Parise and Koivu can come back right around the time the schedule starts getting tough again.
You're totally not being a Capt. Buzzkill. I was saying it in a semi satirical manner. They are the cornerstones of this team. I find it rather suspicious though that the depth of this team starts scoring when the two who are known for being the Tier-1 scorers of the team go down is all.

I mean we finally found 2 players for Heatley to play with!!!

Old
01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't want to pile back onto Koivu, but I honestly do think that getting away from that grinding mentality is a help. It's nice to see what the Wild can do when they actually try and play hockey like they want to score rather than just maintain possession of the puck in the offensive zone.

I for sure want to see Parise and Koivu split up when they get back. I want to see Koivu with two dangerous offensive players and I want to see Parise play with Granlund and another dangerous offensive player. I DO NOT want to see Parise, Koivu, or Coyle anywhere near each other.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:56 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
I don't want to pile back onto Koivu, but I honestly do think that getting away from that grinding mentality is a help. It's nice to see what the Wild can do when they actually try and play hockey like they want to score rather than just maintain possession of the puck in the offensive zone.

I for sure want to see Parise and Koivu split up when they get back. I want to see Koivu with two dangerous offensive players and I want to see Parise play with Granlund and another dangerous offensive player. I DO NOT want to see Parise, Koivu, or Coyle anywhere near each other.
I'm not sure it has to do with Koivu's style being an issue so much as having a bit more room to experiment with line combos without worrying so much about veteran status, etc.

I've long been a proponent of splitting Koivu and Parise up, but right now I'd actually be kind of hesitant to break up the other line combos that are working.

Maybe:
1A: Parise-Koivu-Fontaine
1B: Niederreiter-Granlund-Pominville
1C: Heatley-Coyle-Zucker
Checking: Cooke-Brodziak-Mitchell/Veilleux

And the key here is to use all three of those first lines roughly equally: maybe shield the "1B" line from the tougher defensive roles a little bit, but otherwise give them the same TOI and the same quality of opponents. This allows the guys who have been developing some confidence and chemistry in their absence to keep doing so and to still have a bit of (the good kind of) pressure on them. It also makes the opposing coach's line-matching job a hell of a lot harder.

The problem is, I'm not convinced Yeo is willing to "demote" the veterans like Koivu and Parise by giving other lines equal ice time.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
he wasn't close to being cut.
Didn't Russo say he would have been canned if we'd lost to Washington?

Someone said he'd said that.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:50 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

He did

Old
01-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Quote:
we got hammered in our zone because in yeo's system he wants our high wingers to come goal line low to help move the puck up, but problem is it gives the other teams dmen all day to pick their pinches and cause turn over's with little to no effort, and thus continues their cycle as they change. it's the same reason we got so few of shots, and can't do more than run and bang attempts with no rebounds or sometimes even getting on a SOG.

he can't adjust from this style of play, when the game calls for it and if it wasn't for kuemper's steal last night we could have easly lost in regulation. IMO, we still lost and Yeo should still feel his job is on the line.
That's the same impression i got in a lot of games, specially against Colorado. We are playing bad teams and winning, but i really wanna see when the schedule gets tougher again.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 02:07 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I'm not sure it has to do with Koivu's style being an issue so much as having a bit more room to experiment with line combos without worrying so much about veteran status, etc.

I've long been a proponent of splitting Koivu and Parise up, but right now I'd actually be kind of hesitant to break up the other line combos that are working.

Maybe:
1A: Parise-Koivu-Fontaine
1B: Niederreiter-Granlund-Pominville
1C: Heatley-Coyle-Zucker
Checking: Cooke-Brodziak-Mitchell/Veilleux

And the key here is to use all three of those first lines roughly equally: maybe shield the "1B" line from the tougher defensive roles a little bit, but otherwise give them the same TOI and the same quality of opponents. This allows the guys who have been developing some confidence and chemistry in their absence to keep doing so and to still have a bit of (the good kind of) pressure on them. It also makes the opposing coach's line-matching job a hell of a lot harder.

The problem is, I'm not convinced Yeo is willing to "demote" the veterans like Koivu and Parise by giving other lines equal ice time.
For the rest of this year, i would agree with those lines. And You are right, Yeo is not goign to "demote" veterans from offensive ice time. There needs to be a better balance there. Watching the COL game really showed you how to coach your lines. Every time COL got done with a defensive zone battle with us, they moved to neutral zone to take us out of their end and then passed it back to E. Johnson who held it until their scorers go out there and positioned and then moved it in the zone.

That is something we never see with our own team. Instead, they take a breakout pass and dump it in and either grind it out with the line that just was in the defensive zone or they change out 2 players while someone goes in to forecheck and hope we come out with it.

Colorado has the right idea that this team should be utilizing. And it is why they are ahead of us in the standing IMO. They make way better transitions.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The breakout starts with the first pass out of the defensive zone. Wild have three guys who do it really well, and that's Suter, Brodin, and Spurgeon.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Quote:
The breakout starts with the first pass out of the defensive zone. Wild have three guys who do it really well, and that's Suter, Brodin, and Spurgeon.
And that's why you play them all in different pairs.

Sharppi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 02:50 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Blum is supposed to have that skill as well.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:58 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Only if their coming back gets Yeo back into old habits on the lineup...very possible.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Blum is supposed to have that skill as well.
I haven't got a good look at him. He seems like he's played well?

Old
01-13-2014, 03:51 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Only if their coming back gets Yeo back into old habits on the lineup...very possible.
It is what concerns me about Yeo in the first place as a coach though. It appears he is afraid to split up the $14M cash cow that is Parise and Koivu. PK/PP it is epic if they are out there together. On even strength, it just doesn't work out at all.

Quote:
I haven't got a good look at him. He seems like he's played well?
I think he's playing pretty good.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:02 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

IIRC he was speculating what would happen if Yeo lost his job with a throw in for his readers (you know how journalism works now? you have to agree with your readers as much as possible) about Yeo's job being shaky or tenuous. He also mentioned something about another NHL GM or coach implying it would be stupid to think firing Yeo would fix whatever was wrong with the Wild. I've been out of the country so i may have missed something.

This little bit where we've had significant injuries is where the "character" part of Fletcher's attribute preferences comes in--the young guys have the primary roles and aren't out there thinking "What would Parise want me to do?" Coyle's been far more assertive and puck hungry, and Zucker is looking a lot more...He's looked more natural on the ice, if that makes any sense. Trick for the young guys is to not let Koivu and Parise's Alpha intensity muffle their instincts when the team is healthy again.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:34 PM
grN1g

Yeo's rep to us even before made head coach is that gets alot out of our young guys, but seems up until these 4 key significant injuries and drastic drop in play from backs he couldn't get the young guys and vets going on the same page every night until eventually not a single game at all and that was the major collapse we witnessed. Question is, now that hes showing he can win with young players can he do it every night with a healthy team? If he can't, he should not be our head coach next year plain and simple, and i think same goes for the entire coaching staff and not just Yeo.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote