HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #47|Tue., Jan. 14, 2014| Flyers at Sabres |7:30 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
You're willing to tell me that any of Rinaldo, VV, or Rosehill would be getting fourth line minutes on the majority of teams around the league? Hell, Rosehill got dumped from a team that runs Colton Orr and Frazier McLaren on their fourth line routinely.

Hall is an alright player, but he wouldn't be playing every game for a lot of the upper echelon teams either.
A lot of teams round the league have pretty 'crappy' players on the 4th.

Anaheim, Boston, Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, LA and St. Louis off the top of my head are the only 4th lines in the league that I would consider 'good' through all three players, and even then some of the players may be good players, but not really suited for the role/likely not to be there for long as they would be top 9 on many teams.

I do agree though that the 4th line philosophy the Flyers have is negative IMO. Yes, a guy like Rosehill can have a place, but in very limited games a year... like 20. Both Rinaldo and Rosehill is stupid though. (though if Rinaldo can play ~6 to 10 mins a night the way he did last year he is a decent 4th liner.)

When fully healthy this team could field a 4th line of consisting of 3 of:

McGinn, Raffl, Hall, VDV and Downie (with one of Downie or Raffl playing in the top nine)... which would frankly be a pretty decent 4th...yet they never will.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:59 PM
orangecrush8

vCash: 500
Just bought tickets for this game.

I want a big performance from Giroux and Voracek. While I like what I'm seeing from Schenn/Simmonds/Hartnell, it simply isn't sustainable.

Old
01-13-2014, 07:09 PM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Don't Vinny & Jake both play the right wing? Could Jake move to the left as it sounds like Vinny can't?
I like the idea of a Vinny-G-Voracek line, but you're right that Vinny said he prefers RW. Maybe G could try LW, he's fantastic at the halfboards on the PP and he's good at utilizing his speed to fly down the wall and send the puck into the slot.

We've got a ton of centers and RWs and apparently no one who can adapt well to LW. That 1LW spot is a glaring hole.

But yeah, must win for sure. Miller is scary, could steal it.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Holy Shnikes are tickets ever cheap in Buffalo.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Yea and we all would put him in over mez but it would seem unlikely that berube would.

Vinny g voracek
Hartnell schenn Simmonds
Read couts downie
Raffl vv Rosehill

That would seem to work pretty well. We would at least have great 2 and 3 lines and one would think the first could rely on talent alone. I think vinny would be very motivated playing with G
I don't know why people keep doing this, he has said multiple times that he can't play LW, it's not happening. He's either going to be 3rd line RW or 2nd line C.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:43 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I don't know why people keep doing this, he has said multiple times that he can't play LW, it's not happening. He's either going to be 3rd line RW or 2nd line C.
Then honestly he needs to go. He is the 4th best center on our team currently and maybe the 3rd best RW. And he has absolutely no chemistry with Couturier

Old
01-13-2014, 10:01 PM
Curufinwe

Well he's not going anywhere so they have to fit him in somehow. I think him and BSchenn were a good combo to start the season.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Gert B Frobe

I don't know what Lecavalier's problem is. His compete level has been high and he is forchecking hard - but he's not winning any board battles, isn't seeing the open player and isn't getting open either. It's not like he's getting back on D to make up for it.

Hopefully it's just a confidence thing. He has great hands and looks like he can still skate a bit. It doesn't look by his skating that he's hurt still but I guess he could be.

And has anybody seen Sean Couturier lately? Tall kid, tan trousers, saddle shoes, cardigan sweater, #14.

no, he's not retarded

Old
01-14-2014, 06:55 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
A lot of teams round the league have pretty 'crappy' players on the 4th.

Anaheim, Boston, Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, LA and St. Louis off the top of my head are the only 4th lines in the league that I would consider 'good' through all three players, and even then some of the players may be good players, but not really suited for the role/likely not to be there for long as they would be top 9 on many teams.

I do agree though that the 4th line philosophy the Flyers have is negative IMO. Yes, a guy like Rosehill can have a place, but in very limited games a year... like 20. Both Rinaldo and Rosehill is stupid though. (though if Rinaldo can play ~6 to 10 mins a night the way he did last year he is a decent 4th liner.)

When fully healthy this team could field a 4th line of consisting of 3 of:

McGinn, Raffl, Hall, VDV and Downie (with one of Downie or Raffl playing in the top nine)... which would frankly be a pretty decent 4th...yet they never will.
Those teams that have quality fourth lines are some of the best teams in the league, especially defensively. A fourth line that can play strong defense and give you some energy for 8-10 minutes a game is invaluable. I would really like to see something like McGinn-Hall-Downie on that fourth line. I think that's a line that wouldn't be a complete liability at all times.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:05 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Those teams that have quality fourth lines are some of the best teams in the league, especially defensively. A fourth line that can play strong defense and give you some energy for 8-10 minutes a game is invaluable. I would really like to see something like McGinn-Hall-Downie on that fourth line. I think that's a line that wouldn't be a complete liability at all times.
Yeh, when you look at how many goals our 4th lets past them in limited minutes it is kind of annoying!

Yep... tbh as I said I would love a pick-n-mix of McGinn, Raffl, Hall, VDV and Downie (with one of Downie or Raffl playing in the top nine) as the three for most games... throw Rosehill in for when he is 'needed' though that is not often now, I hate playing a hulking goon (though Rosehill has not actually been awful) when the opposition has middleweights that Simmonds, Hartnell, Hall, Downie etc would be fine with.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Prongo
Beer

We have 13 games from now until the Olympic break, now is the time to show if your a contender or a pretender. If we are a pretender, Homer will have plenty of time over the Olympic break to talk deals with fellow Gms.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:38 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Then honestly he needs to go. He is the 4th best center on our team currently and maybe the 3rd best RW. And he has absolutely no chemistry with Couturier
He used to be our second best center before he got hurt!
Early in the season when Giroux, Hartnell, Voracek, Simmonds,... were all lost in the woods, he was our only consistant scorer.

Vinny Lecavalier is still a really good offensive player but he plays better from the center position and he simple can't find any chemistry with Couts right now. At some point the second line will go on a cold streak again and Vinny will be back at 2C imho.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Vinny has been pretty good for like 90% of his games. I'm not going to send him out to the pasture because he's had a crappy 2-3 weeks

Old
01-14-2014, 09:16 AM
bennysflyers16

I would try flipping Read and Raffl. Get Read on top line and Raffl and Couts would be wicked defensively !

Old
01-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I seriously feel like we're going to lose.
For the sake of our tank, I hope you guys win. In regulation, preferably.

In all seriousness, we're 6-0-2 in our last 8 home games. Nolan and Miller are doing their best to derail the tank. Hopefully that ends tonight. All you guys need to do is score two regulation goals and you'll win it. The Sabres are incapable of scoring more than one.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:47 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
if we lose this game, then I'll be worried

Old
01-14-2014, 09:50 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
For the sake of our tank, I hope you guys win. In regulation, preferably.

In all seriousness, we're 6-0-2 in our last 8 home games. Nolan and Miller are doing their best to derail the tank. Hopefully that ends tonight. All you guys need to do is score two regulation goals and you'll win it. The Sabres are incapable of scoring more than one.
Lucky for you's we've had Miller's number a bit since that playoff series in 2011.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

Enroth looks to be the starter.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:58 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Enroth looks to be the starter.
Disregard what I said above then.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:58 AM
SolidSnakeUS

That's good for us. Miller has been amazing of late.

Old
01-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I hope we demolish them. With that said, I'm expecting a 2-1 SO loss.

Old
01-14-2014, 10:32 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

If there's any defense the sabres can put up 4+ on, it's this one.

Old
01-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Disregard what I said above then.
Vezina backup display incoming..

hahaha

Old
01-14-2014, 10:57 AM
SuchySays

The Flyers have faced quite a few backups this year. lucky

Old
01-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
I thought Lindback was gonna own us there for a while. In all fairness he played well, but they still scored 3 goals. The flyers just crapped defensively

Closed Thread