HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft: 2008 vs 2009

View Poll Results: Which was the better draft for the Islanders?
2008 2 6.45%
2009 27 87.10%
even 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-13-2014, 11:49 AM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
Draft: 2008 vs 2009

The '08 draft has been considered Garth Snow's 'gem' these past couple of seasons, while '09 was mainly considered just the 'JT draft'.

Now that de Haan's stock has skyrocketed while Donovan's has dropped, is it enough for '09 to pass '08 as the better draft? Here is a layout of the two drafts:

'08:
1. Bailey
2. Trivino
2. Ness
2. Hamonic
3. Toews
3. Niemi
3. Petrov
4. Donovan
4. Ullstrom
5. Poulin
5. Martin
6. Spurgeon
6. DiBenedetto

'09:
1. Tavares
1. de Haan
2. Koskinen
3. Nilsson
4. Cizikas
5. Klementyev
6. Lee

Does CdH's play this season give '09 the edge? Did they have the edge all along due to Tavares alone? Is '08 still the better/more important draft?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

It depends on what we're evaluating here....

If it's garth snow then the 08 draft wins.
If it's the cumulitive player talent then 09 wins.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:28 PM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

Well, look at which players are contributing to the Islanders now or are a valid prospect.

08 - Hamonic, Bailey, Martin, Donovan, Poulin

09 - Tavares, de Haan, Cizikas, Lee, Nilsson

Tavares, de Haan, and Cizikas are more important than Hamonic, Bailey, and Martin. Lee is a better prospect than Donovan. Poulin has proven more than Nilsson, but it's still a little early to rank one over the other definitively.

I take 09 easily. Obviously the emergence of de Haan helps that. If you look at the first few rounds of 08, Snow struck out big time on multiple picks.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:33 PM
DeanCrandall

09 only because of Tavares and that was a given (so no points awarded to Snow for GM of the year). If you say 08 you need to realize the talent pool of 08, which was stronger then 09. Dropping down to take Bailey was silly, and gave up our chance to draft Luke Schenn. Missed out drafting Karlsson, DelZotto or Eberle, bad bad Garth Snow.

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:34 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Well, look at which players are contributing to the Islanders now or are a valid prospect.

08 - Hamonic, Bailey, Martin, Donovan, Poulin

09 - Tavares, de Haan, Cizikas, Lee, Nilsson

Tavares, de Haan, and Cizikas are more important than Hamonic, Bailey, and Martin. Lee is a better prospect than Donovan. Poulin has proven more than Nilsson, but it's still a little early to rank one over the other definitively.

I take 09 easily. Obviously the emergence of de Haan helps that. If you look at the first few rounds of 08, Snow struck out big time on multiple picks.
Which is pretty ironic, considering Snow took the most heat for the Hamonic pick, yet without him those first two rounds are a big let-down.

I'm still happy with the Bailey pick though. Considering what was left after the trade down to 9th. I'm looking forward to seeing how Bailey could settle into a 2nd line with Strome and Nelson.

Old
01-13-2014, 12:45 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post
09 only because of Tavares and that was a given (so no points awarded to Snow for GM of the year). If you say 08 you need to realize the talent pool of 08, which was stronger then 09. Dropping down to take Bailey was silly, and gave up our chance to draft Luke Schenn. Missed out drafting Karlsson, DelZotto or Eberle, bad bad Garth Snow.
Luke Schenn is about as mediocre as it gets. The defense-version of Bailey, except Bailey has at least shown signs of being an impact player.

...and I guess you were the one guy back in '08 who knew we should take Karlsson at #9. Too bad you're not GM.

Old
01-13-2014, 01:53 PM
IslandersFan17

Might not seem fair, however, with how rare late round prospects flourish in the NHL, you need to hit on your high first rounders. Bailey, although I have a place in the heart for the kid doesn't compare to JT or even CDH (IMO).

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:41 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Too early to decide, the jury's still well out on several of these players - I'd take another couple of years to see how guys like Poulin, Petrov, Ullstrom, Koskinen, Nilsson, Donovan, Lee, and Spurgeon ( ) pan out before calling it one way or the other. Even Bailey still has some time to right the ship when you think about it - we had a bunch of people calling for Okposo's head the last few seasons until he hit his stride this year, and he was drafted 2 years before Bailey. On the other side of the coin, CDH has been with the big club for all of 21 games - he's off to a great start for sure, but let's not get too carried away.

01-13-2014, 03:54 PM
YearlyLottery

Quote:
So let me get this correct....

Stay at 5 and pick Schenn

I also remember Nikita Filatov being quite popular also.

Karlsson-15
DelZotto-20
Eberle-22

Bailey was at 9, so let's see all of the players Snow passed on in the first round.
Cody Hodgson is some superstar!
What about Tyler Cuma?
Or even the great Kyle Beach???

So you just picked the three best players Snow could've picked. Silly, silly Garth.

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
DeanCrandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearlyLottery View Post
So let me get this correct....

Stay at 5 and pick Schenn

I also remember Nikita Filatov being quite popular also.

Karlsson-15
DelZotto-20
Eberle-22

Bailey was at 9, so let's see all of the players Snow passed on in the first round.
Cody Hodgson is some superstar!
What about Tyler Cuma?
Or even the great Kyle Beach???

So you just picked the three best players Snow could've picked. Silly, silly Garth.
Nope just pointing them out and wouldn't take much to improve from Bailey. Given more chances then DiPietro to prove himself, and let's see back to minors, healthy scratches and this guy still gets top 6 ice, switch him with Matt Martin on any given night and we can show you what heart is. But I do see the avatar, pom poms for Bailey, Snows protected one, while others like Grabner gets the raw end.

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:10 PM
blitzkriegs

When these players actually contribute to the Isles winning something...like a playoff round or two or three or maybe four, then sure. Otherwise, right now it's in the 'part of business' stage.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:55 PM
YearlyLottery

Quote:
Nope just pointing them out and wouldn't take much to improve from Bailey. Given more chances then DiPietro to prove himself, and let's see back to minors, healthy scratches and this guy still gets top 6 ice, switch him with Matt Martin on any given night and we can show you what heart is. But I do see the avatar, pom poms for Bailey, Snows protected one, while others like Grabner gets the raw end.
Haha my avatar was picked after the playoffs so let's not go there. Also not ONCE did I say I was impressed with Bailey. Matt Martin is not a top 6 foward .

I would move Strome and Grabner into the top 6 ahead of him. But in all honesty Bailey should be a third liner on this team, I see him as a future PMB (yea that avatar really shows I'm defending Bailey!).

Grabner didn't score for what? 31 games?

I also never said he had heart. Weird you think I did.

All I did was simply say Garth couldn't have done much better at that pick. That's all I said

I do agree with your assessment of Bailey though.

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:03 PM
DPSNAGS

This summer is an interesting one for Petrov. I feel this is the last chance we have to see him in an isles uniform. The isles have offered him a roster spot for him and i hope he comes. Would be an addition to our secondary scoring. Petrov-Strome-Nelson would be a cool line to see and would be another decision to the team from the 08 draft.

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:12 PM
seafoam
Evening / Morning

vCash: 50
'08 for depth, '09 for high-end talent

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 06:01 PM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSNAGS View Post
This summer is an interesting one for Petrov. I feel this is the last chance we have to see him in an isles uniform. The isles have offered him a roster spot for him and i hope he comes. Would be an addition to our secondary scoring. Petrov-Strome-Nelson would be a cool line to see and would be another decision to the team from the 08 draft.
We would better off with him here and it would be crazy to argue otherwise, but yeah, Lucy won't pull the football away again?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Islander Prophet

Has to be 2009, especially now with DeHaan being so dominant

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:40 AM
majormet

I am going to say 08 at this point because Poulin was taken in the 5th round. A goalie means a lot and I have faith that he is going to be a big difference maker over the next few years. Hamonic was in that draft too.

It is close though, Cizikas was a great risk pick.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:06 AM
Tavares2TheRescue
#JreeFroadwayBay

vCash: 600
I say Snow did a better job drafting in '08 and managed to get more out of less by trading down, but clearly the '09 draft has the better talent pool. Taking Tavares was a no-brainer.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:16 AM
OlTimeHockey

There should be no debate. One year we get a solid center, the other we get the best forward/player in the draft.

Sure, Tavares has been solid, but we got PETROV! The first one, naturally, much better.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Felix Unger

Holy cow. I don't know how we could evaluate this at all.

It's much more difficult to say about 2008 - there were so many more moving pieces back then. The draft was so deep, and some players gained and lost stock so quickly after the draft. It was a really strange draft, in a way. Another 6 months of evaluation time would have massively shaken it up!

2009 was a much more conventional draft, and NYI did very questionable things. The first was moving up as much as they did in the 1st round. The second was picking De Haan instead of Kulikov (which until recently looked a real loser of a decision). The third and fourth questionable things were to select two project goalies.

What's clear to me is that the 2009 draft NYI were presented with value opportunities that were unusual for a conventional draft. Taking Cizikas and Lee capitalized on some value, but they left some on the table by trading away extra picks unnecessarily and picking two project goalies so high.

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:30 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
There should be no debate. One year we get a solid center, the other we get the best forward/player in the draft.

Sure, Tavares has been solid, but we got PETROV! The first one, naturally, much better.

I still have high hopes for Petrov. I think he could mesh well on a line with Hector Marini and Justin Papineau.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote