HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

What team will be looking for Goaltending besides us in the next 6 months.

Old
01-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Duanesutter12

vCash: 500
I'm one of the few but I really believe Poulin is a front line goalie! The guy has lightning quick reflexes for a big guy and if there's been a silver lining to Nabby's injuries this year it's been that Poulin has gotten much needed time and experience. He has been flopping a lot less and frankly speaking has been as good as Nabby in the last 6 games! I think that what we really need is a back up to Poulin moving forward

Duanesutter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:49 AM
monochrome

Reimer. Reimer. Reimer? Reimer. Please Garth, open your eyes and see what you can do to get him within the Islanders organization.

monochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:29 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by monochrome View Post
Reimer. Reimer. Reimer? Reimer. Please Garth, open your eyes and see what you can do to get him within the Islanders organization.
Newsday reported just days ago that the Isles and Caps have discussed Neuvirth. Snow is balking at the caps asking price of a 2nd rounder.

Last summer we saw a cluttered goalie market lower the returns for Bernier and Schneider. Yet, Leaf fans seem to think another weak goalie market won't effect Reimer's trade value.

Leaf fans would be very unhappy with Snow's offer. Isles are not trading top prospects/key nhlers/ 1st rounder for Reimer or any goalie.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Jonas Hiller is the guy I want!!

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by monochrome View Post

I hope the Isles have their sights set higher than Reimer.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Reimer and Neuvirth??? Really??? I have no idea what people are seeing in these 2 goalies. Neither of them have have ever even made it through a full season before.

No thanks... I'm not interested in mediocre goalies who lose their starting jobs to other mediocre goalies.

No thank you.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
Reimer and Neuvirth??? Really??? I have no idea what people are seeing in these 2 goalies. Neither of them have have ever even made it through a full season before.

No thanks... I'm not interested in mediocre goalies who lose their starting jobs to other mediocre goalies.

No thank you.

Totally agree.

I'd be fine with either as a backup though.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:09 PM
blitzkriegs

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Newsday reported just days ago that the Isles and Caps have discussed Neuvirth. Snow is balking at the caps asking price of a 2nd rounder.

Last summer we saw a cluttered goalie market lower the returns for Bernier and Schneider. Yet, Leaf fans seem to think another weak goalie market won't effect Reimer's trade value.

Leaf fans would be very unhappy with Snow's offer. Isles are not trading top prospects/key nhlers/ 1st rounder for Reimer or any goalie.
Bernier, Bishop, and the other dude in TB via Nash didn't garner a first. Good luck TOR fans!

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:28 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Bernier, Bishop, and the other dude in TB via Nash didn't garner a first. Good luck TOR fans!
Bernier did go for a 1st.

01-13-2014, 05:01 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I doubt he is available.

You don't see the number one team in the league move their starting netminder often.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:05 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

I think the ideal situation for next year would be to simply swap Miller for Nabby while letting Poulin develop as the backup.

The only problem is getting Miller on LI.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:48 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I think the ideal situation for next year would be to simply swap Miller for Nabby while letting Poulin develop as the backup.

The only problem is getting Miller on LI.
What term do you think he will be looking for? 4 years? 6? If vanek doesn't resign at least we will have money to make a good offer.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:52 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
What term do you think he will be looking for? 4 years? 6? If vanek doesn't resign at least we will have money to make a good offer.
I'm thinking 4-6 years.

He's 35 and is still in his prime so he is going to get paid.

As for what you said about Vanek, I hope Garth is more likely to pay for a legitimate netminder if he is able to lock up Vanek. You don't trade for a star winger for your star center and then shy away from the best possible UFA goalie on the market because of money. The Isles needed to decide whether they were in or they were out and I think trading for Vanek was a sign that they were in. I hope Garth proves me right at the deadline or this summer.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:03 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
He's who I wanted too but he's pricing him self away from the island. I bet ANA resigns him and uses the other goalies as trade chips.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 06:06 PM
luki here

Quote:
I'm thinking 4-6 years.

He's 35 and is still in his prime so he is going to get paid.

As for what you said about Vanek, I hope Garth is more likely to pay for a legitimate netminder if he is able to lock up Vanek. You don't trade for a star winger for your star center and then shy away from the best possible UFA goalie on the market because of money. The Isles needed to decide whether they were in or they were out and I think trading for Vanek was a sign that they were in. I hope Garth proves me right at the deadline or this summer.
my absolute wishlist:

-sign vanek
-trade macdonald for a young 3rd pairing guy + 1st
-sign miller
-sign CdH to a 5 year 5 million contract (give him his security)
-bring koskinnen back over
-get 2 real coaches for nhl & ahl teams
-bring petrov over

i had hoped we trade for vanek since 2 years. Maybe i just gotta keep at hoping

Last edited by luki here: 01-13-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old
01-13-2014, 06:20 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

Quote:
my absolute wishlist:

-sign vanek
-sign miller
-get 2 real coaches for nhl & ahl teams.

You do realize our defense has three defensemen over the age of the 30 and two of them (Carkner, Martinek) aren't regulars right?

Attempting to not re-sign AMac would be a huge blunder for Snow and it would show on the defense, even with the emergence of de Haan. Like I said before, you don't go in, trade for Vanek, and then trade AMac for a pick and another Brian Strait. Of course, all of this doesn't matter if we are out of the playoff race come the trade deadline and AMac's agent won't budge from say 5M per as the bottom line.

Also, I think de Haan get's a bridge deal (1-2 years).

Old
01-13-2014, 06:47 PM
luki here

Quote:
You do realize our defense has three defensemen over the age of the 30 and two of them (Carkner, Martinek) aren't regulars right?

Attempting to not re-sign AMac would be a huge blunder for Snow and it would show on the defense, even with the emergence of de Haan. Like I said before, you don't go in, trade for Vanek, and then trade AMac for a pick and another Brian Strait. Of course, all of this doesn't matter if we are out of the playoff race come the trade deadline and AMac's agent won't budge from say 5M per as the bottom line.

I think it's payday for MacDonald.

I never thought it was good to only draft D in 2012, but now we do have a bit of a logjam on our hands. I think the isles have a tough near future on D, lets hope we get a UFA goalie who can help lessen the hurt.

Old
01-13-2014, 07:10 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
my absolute wishlist:

-sign vanek
-sign miller
-get 2 real coaches for nhl & ahl teams
-bring petrov over

Do you mean 5 years 25 million? or 5 years 1 million per year? No way Snow offers the former, and no way does Dehaan accept 1 mill a year.

If MacDonald wants more than 4 million a year he is as good as gone.

WangMustGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:20 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Do you mean 5 years 25 million? or 5 years 1 million per year? No way Snow offers the former, and no way does Dehaan accept 1 mill a year.

If MacDonald wants more than 4 million a year he is as good as gone.
i meant 1 mil per year. De Haan might wanna get a longer term due to his many injuries. Snow likes to try and sign underachievers to low cap hits. Perhaps 5 years 7 million is more realistic.

Old
01-13-2014, 08:50 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Bernier did go for a 1st.
Bernier went for a backup goalie(Scrivens), a 3rd liner (Frattin) and $1m in salary retained on Toronto's side. LA's gm and fans were insisting he would return a bigger return before the trade.

Schneider went for the 9th overall pick, in the 2013 draft.

The press thinks both goalies went for lower then expected returns.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:59 PM
N Ireland Nets Fan

Quote:

I hugely disagree.

AMac has been horrible, his numbers are poor and I honestly believe we've kept him on our power play to fatten up his value and move him on. He constantly turns the puck over in our d zone and just makes poor decisions on the puck. He is a bottom pair d man who is going to get paid this summer like a top 4 d man and I want no part of it.

We could very easily have Reinhart and maybe even Pulock, knocking on the door to start for the Isles next season. I think Reinhart is a lock and if Viz recovers from his concussion we could be looking at:

de Haan - Hamonic
Hickey - Viz
Reinhart - Strait

with Carkner in the stands. Mayfield, Pulock, Pelech, Pedan, Pokka and all the other defensive prospects could look great in training camp and make an impression for a roster spot.

I don't see why we should tie ourselves down with a bottom line d man on a $4-$5m per deal with such huge defensive prospects nearly ready to roll.

Give me a 1st round pick for Amac and I'd drive him to his new team myself.

N Ireland Nets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post

No thank you.

: laugh::l augh:

THIS!!!!!!!

Old
01-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
He's who I wanted too but he's pricing him self away from the island. I bet ANA resigns him and uses the other goalies as trade chips.
Nah the scary thing is they have others in the pipe line that are just as great. He is testing FA market and the Isles should do what is necessary in signing him.

Old
01-14-2014, 08:24 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

While Reimer and Neuvirth are certainly not on the level of Miller in any way....I'm from the thinking that you handicap the rest of the lineup if you spend 6-8 mill per on a goalie like Miller especially since we seem to have a self-imposed cap lower then the league cap. IMO, we need to find a solid goalie in the 3-4 million range that may not be Vezina caliber but can get the job done. In the mean time use that other 3 million to solidify the rest of the lineup....If we were just a goalie away from serious contention its a different story but this is not the case.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 08:57 AM
kasper11

Add Winnipeg to the teams looking for a goalie. Pavelec is horrible, and I would bet he is bought out.

Also, add St Louis if they don't re-sign one of Halak/Elliot.

I don't see any chance Philly looks to add a starter. Mason has been solid.

I would also add Bryzgalov and Thomas as possible options. I don't want either on the Isles, but a team like Florida or Calgary may see it as a fit.

I think St. Louis is the top destination, obviously.

After that, it gets dicey. If the Isles re-sign Vanek, I think that helps change perception of the Isles. They could very easily become the next best option for a veteran goalie at that point.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote