HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HAbs win in overtime 2-1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2014, 02:36 PM
  #326
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The Habs are definitely in a position where they could make the Stanley Cup Finals. Markov, Plekanec, Gorges, Price, Emelin, Subban, Eller, and Pacioretty are all in their prime, we have Moen and Prust in the bottom-6, and we have Galchenyuk and Gallagher as emerging young players. Moreover the Eastern Conference is weak.

We should be going for it. I think I'm going to write a topic on it.
I think Montreal has safely ascended into the 2nd tier, slightly above the bubble teams and below the top four or five elite teams. We're close enough to taste contention, but our scoring funnel is way too thin to take us all the way there.

I get the temptation to throw everything at a Cup run, but I think we'd be making the same mistakes of previous years -- mistaking 'good enough' for 'really good'. I think the Habs' peak is coming soon, but we need a couple of Dmen from Hamilton to improve on Bouillon and Murray. We need another junior forward to step up, or else we need to acquire a top-six forward via trade or UFA.

Right now, we could beat Boston, Tampa, New York, Washington, maybe Pittsburgh in a series, but battling through three of those teams in back-to-back series would likely expose our thin depth on the attack.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 02:38 PM
  #327
philipsson
Registered User
 
philipsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Any of you guys know if there's a way to listen to the game (replay) ? I know there's CH express, but pretty sure it's too late to watch it ATM.

Thanks !

philipsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 02:46 PM
  #328
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,268
vCash: 500
Damn, we are bipolar. This team is still pretty bad, its not à win against the hawks that changes that.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 02:49 PM
  #329
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,156
vCash: 500
Bipolar, for sure !

I thought there was 50 shades of grey in between black and white.

The last two games - vs Philly and Chicago - proved that the fan base got serious problems.

This team is not as bad as it was against Philly, and not as good as it was against Chicago. It is not built for Playoffs hockey, yet.


They are very close to be about 10th overall strength wise in the league. That is what Bergevin was aiming at.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 06:45 PM
  #330
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Damn, we are bipolar. This team is still pretty bad, its not à win against the hawks that changes that.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 06:47 PM
  #331
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Yes !!!!


PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 08:55 PM
  #332
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 33,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Damn, we are bipolar. This team is still pretty bad, its not à win against the hawks that changes that.
Well it was nice to see the team play like that last night. We haven't seen a game like that in a long time.

There wasn't a passenger in the lineup. Bourque easily played his best game of the year and everyone gave a great effort.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:59 PM
  #333
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,877
vCash: 500
The team's collective psyche must have gotten a big boost from this win. The players should come away feeling that they can contain any opponent. Therrien must feel the noose around his neck get some extra slack. Fans of the Leafs and Bruins must have felt a twinge of disappointment. Fans of the Hawks turned on Kane and their ace Dmen.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:16 AM
  #334
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Well it was nice to see the team play like that last night. We haven't seen a game like that in a long time.

There wasn't a passenger in the lineup. Bourque easily played his best game of the year and everyone gave a great effort.
It sure was, seeing Plekanec school Toews on two-way play that night was amazing.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:12 AM
  #335
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 24,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The Habs are definitely in a position where they could make the Stanley Cup Finals. Markov, Plekanec, Gorges, Price, Emelin, Subban, Eller, and Pacioretty are all in their prime, we have Moen and Prust in the bottom-6, and we have Galchenyuk and Gallagher as emerging young players. Moreover the Eastern Conference is weak.

We should be going for it. I think I'm going to write a topic on it.
Is this a joke?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 04:02 AM
  #336
The Russian General
Go Habs Go
 
The Russian General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Great City of Laval
Posts: 20,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Is this a joke?
I guess it's not!

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:06 AM
  #337
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Damn, we are bipolar. This team is still pretty bad, its not à win against the hawks that changes that.
I think we're bipolar because the team is so bipolar. We've all watched them enough to know that when they play aggressive and up-tempo, they're actually pretty darn good. But when they slow the pace and chip and chase with crappy puck support they look pretty darn weak.

Overall, the weight of evidence suggests that lshap is on the money. It's an above average team in general.

And while all teams go up and down a bit (yes, Chicago and LA look crappy at times too), the difference between the true elite and Montreal is the frequency. Those teams do it once or twice a month. Montreal does it four or five times.

But the doom and gloomers do need to understand that the Habs are definitely not "pretty bad." They're in that second tier for sure. Those who think that need to watch other teams more routinely. Then you'll gain perspective on "pretty bad."

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:52 AM
  #338
MarkovsKnee
Registered User
 
MarkovsKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 500
I watched the first period live, but had to watch the rest later by DVR. Wow, what a game by the Habs. This team is so frustrating. They dial up an awful game against Philly then come back with their best game against the Hawks.

Plekanec was the best Hab in this game. Unbelievable. What a shift in OT. Subban, Emelin and Markov all had outstanding games.

Actually the whole f'ing team showed up and worked hard against Hawks. Even Bourque.

They have to play NJ next. Hopefully, there isn't a let down.

Also, what the hell was Kane thinking taking the puck back deep into his own zone? Habs had fresh players on when that disaster happened for the Hawks. Hawks were tired. Dumb play by Kane.

Also, if the 2 Markov goals proved anything, it's that we really really need a 6'5 player to put in front of the net. Goals came with first Parros then Seabrook blocking out Crawford. We don't score nearly enough goals off that kind of play, even though we scored 2 tonight. As much as I love Gally, every goalie in the league can see over him.

Habs need to play Patches & Eller in front of the net on the PP.

A really enjoyable game to watch.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:01 AM
  #339
Godzilla
Registered User
 
Godzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The Habs are definitely in a position where they could make the Stanley Cup Finals. Markov, Plekanec, Gorges, Price, Emelin, Subban, Eller, and Pacioretty are all in their prime, we have Moen and Prust in the bottom-6, and we have Galchenyuk and Gallagher as emerging young players. Moreover the Eastern Conference is weak.

We should be going for it. I think I'm going to write a topic on it.
To be a contender, we first have to trade Galchenyuk for Krug and Eller for Stewart. Once we do this, we will win the cup.






Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:11 AM
  #340
lostriver
clear the foxhole!
 
lostriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Our Lady of Grace
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,851
vCash: 500
last year this very same team managed to win 1 (one) play-off game and this year they are "in a position where they could make the Stanley Cup Finals"? and some people laugh at Laughs fans. ooooh my.

lostriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:18 AM
  #341
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 26,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
Also, what the hell was Kane thinking taking the puck back deep into his own zone? Habs had fresh players on when that disaster happened for the Hawks. Hawks were tired. Dumb play by Kane.
He was thinking that there's no place for dump-ins in hockey, so he was just trying to maintain possession.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:31 AM
  #342
MarkovsKnee
Registered User
 
MarkovsKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
He was thinking that there's no place for dump-ins in hockey, so he was just trying to maintain possession.
lol. Probably.

You know MT would bench that guy. I can already hear: "he's got to learn not to hurt the team. The team is everything"...etc, etc.

Kane is the definition of a high risk/high reward player, but in his case the rewards usually outweigh the risk, but not on that play.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:36 AM
  #343
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
lol. Probably.

You know MT would bench that guy. I can already hear: "he's got to learn not to hurt the team. The team is everything"...etc, etc.

Kane is the definition of a high risk/high reward player, but in his case the rewards usually outweigh the risk, but not on that play.
He wouldn't be able to bench him because we would've traded him in a hurry in the middle of a game because of his character problems long before Therrien got to be our coach ( had we drafted him in 2007).

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:43 AM
  #344
MarkovsKnee
Registered User
 
MarkovsKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
He wouldn't be able to bench him because we would've traded him in a hurry in the middle of a game because of his character problems long before Therrien got to be our coach ( had we drafted him in 2007).
Saddly, I think you're right. If he wasn't traded after that taxi driver incident, he definitely would've been after he he got drunk and passed out at the college parties he attended a couple of years ago. Historically, the Habs have dealt with "problem" players - no matter how talented - by trading them.

Kane wouldn't have lasted 5 years here.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
  #345
idk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostriver View Post
last year this very same team managed to win 1 (one) play-off game and this year they are "in a position where they could make the Stanley Cup Finals"? and some people laugh at Laughs fans. ooooh my.
It's worth noting that we were missing, for at least some of that series, Emelin, Eller, Prust, Pacioretty, Gionta and Price. Maybe some more that I'm forgetting. We also ran into a hot goalie who stopped 172 of 180 shots (.956 Sv%). Not saying that we would've won everything last season, but there were significant challenges we faced that can be viewed as mitigating towards last seasons playoff performance.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 02:20 PM
  #346
Gally11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,642
vCash: 500
Mark Denis had the best explanation to the teams bi-polar play.. He said we're not like the hawks and pens etc.. We have to play 100% every night to look like a decent team, we don't have the dominant skilled forwards up front that can just take over a game with a few shots here and there on an off night with the exception of Subban's play in Dallas.


IMO Subban could probably do that more often if he had the freedom to do so.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 02:39 PM
  #347
lostriver
clear the foxhole!
 
lostriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Our Lady of Grace
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
It's worth noting that we were missing, for at least some of that series, Emelin, Eller, Prust, Pacioretty, Gionta and Price. Maybe some more that I'm forgetting. We also ran into a hot goalie who stopped 172 of 180 shots (.956 Sv%). Not saying that we would've won everything last season, but there were significant challenges we faced that can be viewed as mitigating towards last seasons playoff performance.
you do not have to believe me, but there will be injuries and hot goalies this year again. this team has no depth and cannot score 5 on 5.

lostriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 02:46 PM
  #348
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I think we're bipolar because the team is so bipolar. We've all watched them enough to know that when they play aggressive and up-tempo, they're actually pretty darn good. But when they slow the pace and chip and chase with crappy puck support they look pretty darn weak.

Overall, the weight of evidence suggests that lshap is on the money. It's an above average team in general.

And while all teams go up and down a bit (yes, Chicago and LA look crappy at times too), the difference between the true elite and Montreal is the frequency. Those teams do it once or twice a month. Montreal does it four or five times.

But the doom and gloomers do need to understand that the Habs are definitely not "pretty bad." They're in that second tier for sure. Those who think that need to watch other teams more routinely. Then you'll gain perspective on "pretty bad."
I think fans would be less bipolar if they based opinions on the last 5-10 games instead of just the most recent game. There would still be ups and downs, but they wouldn't be nearly as severe as many posters make them out to be.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 03:13 PM
  #349
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
Mark Denis had the best explanation to the teams bi-polar play.. He said we're not like the hawks and pens etc.. We have to play 100% every night to look like a decent team, we don't have the dominant skilled forwards up front that can just take over a game with a few shots here and there on an off night with the exception of Subban's play in Dallas.


IMO Subban could probably do that more often if he had the freedom to do so.
Yes, he does.

As for Subban, he has to learn WHEN to go and WHEN not to go.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:50 PM
  #350
idk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostriver View Post
you do not have to believe me, but there will be injuries and hot goalies this year again. this team has no depth and cannot score 5 on 5.
I didn't argue that there were no problems, certainly not that we had ample organizational depth and five on five scoring ability. I argued that using last seasons playoff performance as a reason to say this team (if healthy) will go nowhere in the playoffs is a bit problematic. Yes there are hot goalies. Yes there are injuries. But not all teams lose three of their top five forwards (Patches, Eller and Gionta) one of their top four defenders (Emelin) and their starting goalie either - last season all of the Blackhawks core players played the full 23 playoff games except Hossa (one game), Keith (one game), Stallberg (four games) and Bolland (five games). That's a total of eleven man games. By comparison Emelin (five), Eller (four), Gionta (three), Pacioretty (one), Prust (one) and Price (one) missed a total of fifteen man games in five games played.

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.