HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Don Maloney interview-WFAN

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2007, 07:56 PM
  #76
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
I'm with you but would take it one step further,let's trade one or more veterans to accumulate more youth
Let's start a poll. I would trade Shanny, get a pick, resign him, maybe. Weekes, gone. I would speak to Nylander and ask him his contract demands, remember Drury, Briers are both UFA from Buff, I doubt they can afford both. If Nylander's demand is too rich, gone, picks and or young quality prospect.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:58 PM
  #77
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Let's start a poll. I would trade Shanny, get a pick, resign him, maybe. Weekes, gone. I would speak to Nylander and ask him his contract demands, remember Drury, Briers are both UFA from Buff, I doubt they can afford both. If Nylander's demand is too rich, gone, picks and or young quality prospect.
Nylander shouldn't ask for or get anymore than what Straka is making (3.3 million). If he asked for more than that its bye bye Nylander.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:53 PM
  #78
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 14,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
All I can say is listen to the interview and see what you think. It makes sense... but we have to see if they follow through. I've just been reporting what I heard and what it means. It definitely sounds good. But I've been disappointed as many times as you guys have.
We'll see. There have been enough PR sounding speaches given before. I, for one, still do not believe that the organizational thought of the organization has been let's develop and committ to getting younger. While I do not think that strictly youth for vets on the wrong side of 34 will be made, I still do not think that an environment of placing them into a position of success exists at the NHL level. If one can make a case for Kasper to be waived, one can certainly make a similar case about Malik. The point is, that there are several spots in the lineup RIGHT NOW, where a Hartford call-up can do no worse and possbily be better. And, if not burried on the 4th line, there are places where both another defenseman and at least one forward can play and being to gain valuable experience. However, Renney still has to learn to have patience with a rookie and not simply bury them on the bench.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 01:03 AM
  #79
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
The players you mention are not building blocks, they are stop gap until the real thing is ready. Tell me you do not actually think those players in your post are long term solutions.
I think a lot of this just comes down to how you see the Rangers. I get the whole frustration thing. I think we're all more or less frustrated to some extent.

No one can deny that Sather's management up to the purge was any good. It was terrible to say the least. But if we are still stuck on that IMO, we are only looking at part of the picture. Leetch and the others were traded not only because the plan had totally failed and they still had value, but because a statement had to be made that the Org. was ready to head in a new direction...and begin to break from the past.

The interview with Maloney really laid a lot on the line. He said a number of things pretty clearly. I'm not going to repeat it. We all heard it. The point is it was a 16 min. interview that made points that will be very hard to deny if in fact Maloney/Sather/Renney deviate at some point from what was stated.

What I get excited about is what is coming soon, not what is here now.

In Junior:Staal, Sauer, Sanguinetti, Pyatt, Cliche, Russell, and DuPont.

Europe: Artisimov.

College: Ryan, Roche and Olver.

Hartford: Montoya 2nd yr., Callahan 1st yr., Dawes 2nd yr., Dubinsky 1st yr., Byers 1st yr., Baranka 2nd yr., and Korpikoski 1st yr.

You add these 18 prospects to Lundqvist, Tyjtin, Prucha and Hollweg and you have a decent chance at forming a pretty solid core. Toss in the right UFA or three and you have a team that in a few years could be a lot better that the one we have now.

I am not satisfied with a team that might make the playoffs and sneak past a round or two. That is what we have right now. I want a consistent Cup contender just like those guys across the river have. This spring will mark the third year since the purge it will also mark the arrival in Hartford of Staal, Sauer, Pyatt, Cliche, Russell, DuPont, Olver, and Roche.

It will be an interesting spring in Rangerville....and I'm going to bed.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 03:38 AM
  #80
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Nylander shouldn't ask for or get anymore than what Straka is making (3.3 million). If he asked for more than that its bye bye Nylander.
He is only making 1.5m this season, and have never earned the kind of money Straka have earlier in his career.

It could spell trouble.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:56 AM
  #81
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
He is only making 1.5m this season, and have never earned the kind of money Straka have earlier in his career.

It could spell trouble.
Nylander is making $2.28 million this season

Here are his salaries for the last 5/6 seasons
2006-07 New York Rangers $2,280,000 C
2005-06 New York Rangers $ 2,280,000 C
2003-04 Washington Capitals $ 2,675,000 C
2002-03 Washington Capitals $ 1,800,000 C
2001-02 Chicago Blackhawks $ 1,550,000 C
2000-01 Chicago Blackhawks $ 1,250,000 C

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...der&player=628

The term is more important than the salary.If Nylander wants a 3/4 year deal,then forget about it.Robert Lang is not going to re-sign in Detroit and he would probably be available for a 1 year deal.Over 35 year old clause=1 year deal

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:00 AM
  #82
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
According to Larry Brooks

Quote:
Recalling Dan Girardi was only the first step. Beginning tomorrow afternoon in Philadelphia, the Rangers will take a good long look at the 22-year-old defenseman. And even if Girardi replaces Thomas Pock against the Flyers, no one should sweat it. That doesn't mean one young defenseman is merely taking the place of another.

For if the Blueshirts like enough of what they see over the next week or two from puck-moving Girardi, dominoes will begin to fall. If Girardi is good enough, that will liberate management to use one of its veteran defensemen as part of a package to retrieve help up front in a trade
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01262007...rry_brooks.htm

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 06:42 AM
  #83
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Schoenfeld said he expects other Pack players to be called up, though not immediately. The Rangers are at the 23-player roster limit
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...adlines-hockey

Quote:
According to Rangers coach Tom Renney, more promotions could follow, but the team would have to create more room on the roster
http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pb...22/1046/SPORTS

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 09:31 AM
  #84
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Nylander is making $2.28 million this season

Here are his salaries for the last 5/6 seasons
2006-07 New York Rangers $2,280,000 C
2005-06 New York Rangers $ 2,280,000 C
2003-04 Washington Capitals $ 2,675,000 C
2002-03 Washington Capitals $ 1,800,000 C
2001-02 Chicago Blackhawks $ 1,550,000 C
2000-01 Chicago Blackhawks $ 1,250,000 C

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...der&player=628

The term is more important than the salary.If Nylander wants a 3/4 year deal,then forget about it.Robert Lang is not going to re-sign in Detroit and he would probably be available for a 1 year deal.Over 35 year old clause=1 year deal
http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/

Is this correct? They have Nylander at 1.5 next season at a team option?

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 09:41 AM
  #85
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
That'd be pretty sweet, BUT...who would take Malik or Rozsival or Ward and give the Rangers something worthwhile in return?

I mean...maybe you can find a taker on a team that's looking to dump salary, but you'd still think that team could find something better than taking on the salary of guys like Malik or Rozsival.

Plus you're even more unlikely to get a good young forward that isn't another big project.

The other option being trade Rachunek instead. His contract is more manageable (and expires at the end of this year I believe), and he's younger. Teams might be willing to give a little more. While I wouldn't be sad to see him go, however, I'd much rather see Malik go instead.

As an aside, did anyone read Brooks' article the other day where he claimed that the Rangers gave Kaspar no warning about him being waived and that he and his agent found out when the Post called?

Then did anyone notice how Kaspar told other reporters that Renney called him into his office to tell Kaspar the news personally?

And did anyone wonder at the discrepancy between these two stories and wonder what the deal with Brooks is?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:15 AM
  #86
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 9,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
As an aside, did anyone read Brooks' article the other day where he claimed that the Rangers gave Kaspar no warning about him being waived and that he and his agent found out when the Post called?

Then did anyone notice how Kaspar told other reporters that Renney called him into his office to tell Kaspar the news personally?

And did anyone wonder at the discrepancy between these two stories and wonder what the deal with Brooks is?
Yeah, I picked up on that as well. Very curious. Brooks and Dellapina both with oopses inside 24 hours.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:06 AM
  #87
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/

Is this correct? They have Nylander at 1.5 next season at a team option?
The Rangers declined their team option when the NHL lockout ended.Nylander signed a three year contract plus one of those team/player options.$3 million per with the team option being $3 million and the player option being $2 million.With the 24% rollback,it became $2.28 million guaranteed per and the player option is $1.52 million

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:10 AM
  #88
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
exactly which one of our veteran defensemen is desirable to another team? This may free up the rangers to deal a defensemen, but why would another team want them and who would you reasonably expect to get back?

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:12 AM
  #89
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
That'd be pretty sweet, BUT...who would take Malik or Rozsival or Ward and give the Rangers something worthwhile in return?

I mean...maybe you can find a taker on a team that's looking to dump salary, but you'd still think that team could find something better than taking on the salary of guys like Malik or Rozsival.

Plus you're even more unlikely to get a good young forward that isn't another big project.

The other option being trade Rachunek instead. His contract is more manageable (and expires at the end of this year I believe), and he's younger. Teams might be willing to give a little more. While I wouldn't be sad to see him go, however, I'd much rather see Malik go instead.

As an aside, did anyone read Brooks' article the other day where he claimed that the Rangers gave Kaspar no warning about him being waived and that he and his agent found out when the Post called?

Then did anyone notice how Kaspar told other reporters that Renney called him into his office to tell Kaspar the news personally?

And did anyone wonder at the discrepancy between these two stories and wonder what the deal with Brooks is?
Roszival isn't a bad player at $2.1 million and Ward had other teams offering him more years at around the same money after he had already given the Rangers a commitment.These aren't Joe Corvo contracts with three more years remaining

Regarding the Dellapina/Brooks/Kasparaitis situation,the Rangers called Kasparaitis rather than call his agent Mark Gandler.Brooks informed Gandler that Kasparaitis was waived.Kasparaitis didn't inform his agent which is where the misunderstanding took place

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:13 AM
  #90
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
exactly which one of our veteran defensemen is desirable to another team? This may free up the rangers to deal a defensemen, but why would another team want them and who would you reasonably expect to get back?
I could see teams wanting A. Ward for his playoff experience and grit. The Rangers could probably get a B level prospect in return with like a 3rd rd pick coming the Rangers way as well.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:16 AM
  #91
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
exactly which one of our veteran defensemen is desirable to another team? This may free up the rangers to deal a defensemen, but why would another team want them and who would you reasonably expect to get back?
Many teams are looking to add a veteran defenseman.There aren't that many to go around.There will be fewer sellers at the trading deadline

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:24 AM
  #92
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Regarding the Dellapina/Brooks/Kasparaitis situation,the Rangers called Kasparaitis rather than call his agent Mark Gandler.Brooks informed Gandler that Kasparaitis was waived.Kasparaitis didn't inform his agent which is where the misunderstanding took place
That's kind of what I figured happened, but it annoyed me that Brooks didn't bother to check on the situation and instead went straight into crazy mode.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:28 AM
  #93
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Many teams are looking to add a veteran defenseman.There aren't that many to go around.There will be fewer sellers at the trading deadline
Key word there is solid, which rules out Malik.

Ward is certainly solid, but the questions are:
1. will the front office look to move a player that they just singed to a multi year deal? what will this say to future free agent targets if they do?
2. will a team be will to accept his salary for multiple years after the current?

Rozsival:
1. Will they're be a reluctance to move a guy who often plays with Jagr?
2. Can this team afford to move one of the few guys with an ability to move the puck (I'm not a big Rosy fan and I'm not calling him Paul Coffee, but he is one of the few Dmen on this team that ever gets involved in the offense.)

Rachunek:
1. Probably the most attractive to other teams but he's also been one of the Ranger's better defensemen. He's also pretty cheap and in his mid twenties. I wouldn't be apposed to moving him, but it's gonna have to be for a worthwhile return.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:47 AM
  #94
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
That's kind of what I figured happened, but it annoyed me that Brooks didn't bother to check on the situation and instead went straight into crazy mode.
Did you notice the retraction(sort of)by Brooks today?

Quote:
Assistant GM Don Maloney told The Post the Rangers had made several efforts to notify Darius Kasparaitis he'd been placed on waivers before the information became public. "Darius has been a very good pro for us and we take pride in the professionalism, respect and treatment we give all our players," Maloney said. "To suggest otherwise is simply inaccurate."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01262007...rry_brooks.htm

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:52 AM
  #95
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Rachunek:1. Probably the most attractive to other teams but he's also been one of the Ranger's better defensemen. He's also pretty cheap and in his mid twenties. I wouldn't be apposed to moving him, but it's gonna have to be for a worthwhile return.
That is a first around here.Not too long ago many people didn't want Rachunek on the team or wanted him banished on waivers.Rachunek will be a group II this summer and eligible for group III in 2008.It seems Rachunek might be the healthy scratch tomorrow.His agent Mark Gandler will want a new contract this summer.Let some other team give it him

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:54 AM
  #96
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I could see teams wanting A. Ward for his playoff experience and grit. The Rangers could probably get a B level prospect in return with like a 3rd rd pick coming the Rangers way as well.
Which is exactly why the Rangers will keep him..Not sayingyou don't, but ANybody who doesn't think the Rangers are serious about making the POs and winning some rounds (and making moves accordingly) is only kidding themselves...Dealing a rachunek or a Pock, who has SOME value, is another story..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:59 AM
  #97
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,716
vCash: 500
Why deal Pock, he's the only up and coming D man right now that looks good. Get rid of Malik and this D has already improved.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 12:01 PM
  #98
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Why deal Pock, he's the only up and coming D man right now that looks good. Get rid of Malik and this D has already improved.
And freed up $2.5 million in cap space as well! lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 12:01 PM
  #99
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yeah, I picked up on that as well. Very curious. Brooks and Dellapina both with oopses inside 24 hours.
Good points here. Along the same lines were some of the comments by Maloney. Directly criticizng some of the stuff you read as "laughable"....and then laughing at it. I think they wanted to chide a few people in the press.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 12:03 PM
  #100
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I think a lot of this just comes down to how you see the Rangers. I get the whole frustration thing. I think we're all more or less frustrated to some extent.

No one can deny that Sather's management up to the purge was any good. It was terrible to say the least. But if we are still stuck on that IMO, we are only looking at part of the picture. Leetch and the others were traded not only because the plan had totally failed and they still had value, but because a statement had to be made that the Org. was ready to head in a new direction...and begin to break from the past.

The interview with Maloney really laid a lot on the line. He said a number of things pretty clearly. I'm not going to repeat it. We all heard it. The point is it was a 16 min. interview that made points that will be very hard to deny if in fact Maloney/Sather/Renney deviate at some point from what was stated.

What I get excited about is what is coming soon, not what is here now.

In Junior:Staal, Sauer, Sanguinetti, Pyatt, Cliche, Russell, and DuPont.

Europe: Artisimov.

College: Ryan, Roche and Olver.

Hartford: Montoya 2nd yr., Callahan 1st yr., Dawes 2nd yr., Dubinsky 1st yr., Byers 1st yr., Baranka 2nd yr., and Korpikoski 1st yr.

You add these 18 prospects to Lundqvist, Tyjtin, Prucha and Hollweg and you have a decent chance at forming a pretty solid core. Toss in the right UFA or three and you have a team that in a few years could be a lot better that the one we have now.

I am not satisfied with a team that might make the playoffs and sneak past a round or two. That is what we have right now. I want a consistent Cup contender just like those guys across the river have. This spring will mark the third year since the purge it will also mark the arrival in Hartford of Staal, Sauer, Pyatt, Cliche, Russell, DuPont, Olver, and Roche.

It will be an interesting spring in Rangerville....and I'm going to bed.

I'm with you, but in reality, half of these players will never be in ranger blue. And thats sad.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.