HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn's Future

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2007, 02:06 PM
  #51
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Your view will change next year when Kosty will score some goals at this rookies all star game..

Way too early to cry about the pick, especially considering the way Kosty is actually performing in the AHL... The guy is not only producing offensively, he is + 18.
Agree , when he was with the habs at the start of the year , I see him having a great position in the defencive zone and he's looked good for carrying off the puck of the opponent .

We don't have to worry much about Kost . Him and Grabovksy , 2 player who'll play in a top 6 foward role soon , will have a great chemestry together and what I hope for next year , see Grab and Kost together in the third line . We will be like Buffalo with 3 offencive trios .

Imagine that for next year :

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Latendresse-Plekanek-Ryder
Perezhogin-Grabovsky-Kostitsyn
Begin-Lapierre-Streit

Samsonov definitely don't have his place for next year .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 09:49 PM
  #52
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Agree , when he was with the habs at the start of the year , I see him having a great position in the defencive zone and he's looked good for carrying off the puck of the opponent .

We don't have to worry much about Kost . Him and Grabovksy , 2 player who'll play in a top 6 foward role soon , will have a great chemestry together and what I hope for next year , see Grab and Kost together in the third line . We will be like Buffalo with 3 offencive trios .

Imagine that for next year :

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev
Latendresse-Plekanek-Ryder
Perezhogin-Grabovsky-Kostitsyn
Begin-Lapierre-Streit

Samsonov definitely don't have his place for next year .
I hope Johnson is back next season. He's a perfect 3rd liner.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 01:17 AM
  #53
mad_hab'er
 
mad_hab'er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by antidot View Post
Grabovsky is a center , Kosty a wing , so that doesn't hurt him .
Lapierre is more a 3 th -4th liner , and is also a centre .

I think that Kosty is the kind of player that could be better in the NHL than in the AHL . He did well when they called him up , exepted that he didn't show he was hungry enough . I don't know if Carbo was refering to the practices or the games when he said that . Anyway , i am sure that a player with that power shut just could do good , once familiar with the game of the NHL .
Well my point stays the same.

Grabs moving up in the system I see has beneficial to Kostitsyn (both of them) because it gives them another person that they can relate to.

Lappiere moving up I see as putting us to the point where if we add another 19-23 year old player to our lineup, we might as well just trade Souray now and get it over with... you know?

If the goal is to win the Cup, you can only have so many young players on the team... you need varierty to win Championships.

Not that I'm dissappointed that Lappiere looks great, it's good for the Habs... it just doesn't help Kostitsyn's chances at all, in my opinion... and I also think it hurts them a bit in the short term. ie: for this season.

mad_hab'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 01:27 AM
  #54
mad_hab'er
 
mad_hab'er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Oh my god

Freaking impossible....
It's actually quite possible, just very improbable... unless you have some sort of device that predicts the future.

If the things that people say about AK's potential are true and if he can actually reach that potential, it's quite possible that he could be a more complete player than either of the Sedin's... and then we have to see what happens with SK.... time will tell.

I do like the prospect of having a Kostitsyn - Grabovsky - Kostitsyn line in several years.

mad_hab'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:28 AM
  #55
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Pax Macioretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 15,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I hope Johnson is back next season. He's a perfect 3rd liner.
yep

Here's a little fix-up

Higgins-Koivu- Perezhogin
Latendresse-Pleckanek-Kovalev
Johnson-Grabovksy-Kostytsin
Bégin-Lappierre-Streit

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 09:27 AM
  #56
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
AK is dominating the ahl right now
Quote:
He is now dominating the AHL at 21 (soon 22), which is impressive
He's 52nd in AHL scoring, would you say that Andrew Brunette is "dominating the NHL" this year? .
7 rookies are outscoring him and he only has two more goals than Andy Delmore.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 09:47 AM
  #57
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
...
7 rookies are outscoring him and he only has two more goals than Andy Delmore.
I'm thinking that does more to disprove your point about using stats as the basis of judging Kostitsyn's play than anything else.

I mean, look at Haydar, then. Do you want him on your team?

I've seen the Bulldogs 7 times this year, and I have to say, Kostitsyn has never been more impressive to me. I was a doubter. Possibly even a "basher" prior to this season. But he has been a consistent threat most games I've seen, and better still, from one to shift to the next in many games. And he's playing so much better defensively and physically than before too. I think it's a shoo-in that he makes the Habs next season. Past that, it will of course remain to be seen how he progresses. Some Perezhogin-like early seasons would not surprise me. But I'm getting more reassured that complete bustdom is probably not going to happen. Whew.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:00 AM
  #58
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'm thinking that does more to disprove your point about using stats as the basis of judging Kostitsyn's play than anything else.

I mean, look at Haydar, then. Do you want him on your team?
He's 22 in a week and this is his 3rd year in the AHL, so IMO... he's a veteran AHL player or as veteran as the large majority of players get in that league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I've seen the Bulldogs 7 times this year, and I have to say, Kostitsyn has never been more impressive to me. I was a doubter. Possibly even a "basher" prior to this season. But he has been a consistent threat most games I've seen, and better still, from one to shift to the next in many games. And he's playing so much better defensively and physically than before too. I think it's a shoo-in that he makes the Habs next season. Past that, it will of course remain to be seen how he progresses. Some Perezhogin-like early seasons would not surprise me. But I'm getting more reassured that complete bustdom is probably not going to happen. Whew.
It's great that he's working harder, doing things that will help here and more importantly... help him stay here. But he's not dominating the AHL and at a certain point, people should have been reducing the top-end possibilities for him when he was starting to fall so far behind his draft class. I know some have... but why are there still references to "40 goals, gamebreaker and better than the Sedins?"

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:05 AM
  #59
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
It's great that he's working harder, doing things that will help here and more importantly... help him stay here. But he's not dominating the AHL and at a certain point, people should have been reducing the top-end possibilities for him when he was starting to fall so far behind his draft class. I know some have... but why are there still references to "40 goals, gamebreaker and better than the Sedins?"
Maybe you just need to adjust your filter a bit. As far as I'm aware, people *have* been reducing the top-end possibilities for him for quite a while. If you can find a Habs fan who still sees him as having a realistic probability of being a 40 goal gamebreaker type of player, then you've probably found the one-in-a-million fanboy that every organization has a few of. The majority of Habs fans have a much more realistic perspective on him by now.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:21 AM
  #60
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Maybe you just need to adjust your filter a bit. As far as I'm aware, people *have* been reducing the top-end possibilities for him for quite a while. If you can find a Habs fan who still sees him as having a realistic probability of being a 40 goal gamebreaker type of player, then you've probably found the one-in-a-million fanboy that every organization has a few of. The majority of Habs fans have a much more realistic perspective on him by now.

Fair enough. Hey did Bochenski wreck his Calder eligibility yet?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:35 AM
  #61
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Fair enough. Hey did Bochenski wreck his Calder eligibility yet?
I'm thinking Norfolk could make a run at the Calder if the Hawks send enough guys back to load them up.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:46 AM
  #62
Kramy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Québec
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Quote:
But he's not dominating the AHL and at a certain point, people should have been reducing the top-end possibilities for him when he was starting to fall so far behind his draft class. I know some have... but why are there still references to "40 goals, gamebreaker and better than the Sedins?"
Maybe he's not entirely burning the AHL, but he's certainly a dominant player, no doubts about that. Just watch the Bulldogs and you'll see. This guy is NHL ready, no matter how good he will turn out in the end. I agree with you that "40 goals" and "better than the Sedin" is very, very optimistic (while not impossible), but 60 points (25-30 goals) isn't out of range, which is very good and worthy of a "dominant player" status. I didn't say "All-Star" or even "Hall-of-Famer", just a "dominant player". Nothing more.

Don't forget that the Bulldogs are a defensive-minded team.

Kramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:49 AM
  #63
Mad Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
The thing I question about Kots is his handling. You see his brother excelling in junior, with less skill. Different personallity, but the language barrier was there also.

AK has been in Hamilton for 3 years and we are finally seeing some of the promise in his play this year. With more consistency anyways.

I think maybe it would have been better for his development if he had spent one year in junior, playing with kids his age rather than with men in the AHL.

I don't think we would get much in a trade for him, mainly because he hasn't accomplished anything in N.America. It still all potential in his case and he hasn't dominated in a consistent level yet. Just a shift here and there until this year.

Plus he had to play on a pretty bad team in Hamilton last year and a not so good team the year before. The team is better this year and he is a big part of that so there is still hope.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:58 AM
  #64
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
Maybe he's not entirely burning the AHL, but he's certainly a dominant player, no doubts about that. Just watch the Bulldogs and you'll see. This guy is NHL ready, no matter how good he will turn out in the end. I agree with you that "40 goals" and "better than the Sedin" is very, very optimistic (while not impossible), but 60 points (25-30 goals) isn't out of range, which is very good and worthy of a "dominant player" status. I didn't say "All-Star" or even "Hall-of-Famer", just a "dominant player". Nothing more.
That reads to me like we use different dictionaries regarding the word "dominant". Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr... Crosby, Ovechkin now I guess... that's my idea of "dominant". For us with the Habs the word can only be used with qualifiers: "Souray - on the powerplay", "Kovalev - a few shifts a month", etc. But generally speaking 25-30 goals or 60 points doesn't fit "dominant player" status by any stretch in my books. Not even all All-Stars or Hall-of-Famers are dominant players to me.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:00 AM
  #65
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
The thing I question about Kots is his handling. You see his brother excelling in junior, with less skill. Different personallity, but the language barrier was there also.

AK has been in Hamilton for 3 years and we are finally seeing some of the promise in his play this year. With more consistency anyways.

I think maybe it would have been better for his development if he had spent one year in junior, playing with kids his age rather than with men in the AHL.
I remember back in the day I sooooo wanted him to go to Medicine Hat, and they had a good team there too with some talent that he could have fit in with. But I don't think we can say too much about the handling, really. The Habs have worked with him. They've brought in guys like Ivanans. They also had to consider his medical situation early on. It could have worked out in junior, or it could have been a disaster, we'll never know.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:04 AM
  #66
Kramy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Québec
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Well to me a dominant player is simply a player that is better than the others in a given game. There are hundreds of dominant players that play right now in the NHL... or maybe my own translation of "joueur dominant" doesn't have the exact same meaning in english...

Sorry if my vocabulary isn't perfectly accurate, I'm french.


Last edited by Kramy: 01-26-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Kramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:14 AM
  #67
Kramy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Québec
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
In my words from the top of my head it would go like this :

Generationnal talent : Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Crosby, etc...

Hall-of-Famers : Messier, Hull, Bossy, Bourque, etc...

All-Stars : Hossa, Kovalchuk, Heatley, etc...

Dominant : Kovalev, Koivu, and maybe someday, Kostistyn!

That's about what I meant by dominant.

Kramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:25 AM
  #68
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
In my words from the top of my head it would go like this :

Generationnal talent : Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Crosby, etc...

Hall-of-Famers : Messier, Hull, Bossy, Bourque, etc...

All-Stars : Hossa, Kovalchuk, Heatley, etc...

Dominant : Kovalev, Koivu, and maybe someday, Kostistyn!

That's about what I meant by dominant.
Fair enough, at least you've made it clear. I agree the french usage probably applies it more liberally than in english, so it's probably a good idea to be ready in case anybody jumps on it somewhere down the road.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.