HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Girardi on his way up - Did NOT Have to Pass Through Waivers

Old
01-26-2007, 11:18 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
The Rangers have $18,064,000 committed to 9 players for next season (Jagr, Straka, Tyutin, Dawes, A. Ward, Roszival, Malik, Cullen, Betts) Nylander has an option for next season for $2 million, don't know if he will accept it.

RFA's: (That Should Be Resigned) **Numbers in () are my estimates**

Lundqvist ($2.5 to $4 million)
Prucha ($2 million)
Orts ($600K)
Hollweg ($500K)
Pock ($750K/More than likely will be a UFA due to lack of games played)

Other Rangers that will be free agents (Either UFA or RFA):

Nylander (Will resign/Probably same as Straka $3.3)
Hall (Trade or let go/Not worth $1 million)
Shanny (Depends on what direction the team goes/$4 million)
J. Ward (Let go/Can be replaced from w/in)
Marcel Hossa (I say let go but Sather wont/$750K)
Orr (Let go)
Ozo (Let go)
Kaspar (Burried in the minors/retires)
Rachunek (Not worth $1.8 million/Only resign if at $1 million)
Weekes (He wont resign)

Total Salary so far: $33,149,000 for 17 players (Including Shanny/Hossa. I gave Lundqvist a salary of $3.5)

New Players Who's Contracts I Do Not Know:

Staal (I'm guessing the rookie max so like $850K)
Montoya (Same as Staal $850K)
Callahan
Baranka
Girardi

With These new rookies (even though not all will make the team) The total salary would be around $37 million, leaving about $12 million in cap room with the current salary cap. The cap has been said that it might go up $1 or $2 million giving the team around $14 million in cap space to sign UFA's.

My numbers maybe off a bit but there is a decent amount of money left for the summer.
FW - Jagr, FW - Straka, D -Tyutin, FW -Dawes, D - A. Ward, D - Roszival, C -Cullen, C - Betts = 15.564.000 (8 players)

C - Nylander (Resign at $3.3)
FW - Shanny (Resign $4,5 million)
FW - Marcel Hossa (Resign $750K)
G - Lundqvist (Resign $3.5 million)
FW - Prucha (Resign $2,5 million)
FW - Orts (Resign $700K)
FW - Hollweg (Resign $600K)
D - Pock (Resign $950K)
Total cost to resign these 8 players - 16.500.000

These youngsters should be given chance to make the squad (2,550.000)
D - Staal ($850K)
D - Girardi ($850K)
FW - Callahan ($850K)
FW - Baranka ($850K)
C - Dubinsky ($850K)
G - Montoya ($850K)

ASay that 3 (at least) qualify
Total salary cost is then - 35.000.000

Salary Cap is at 49.000.000

The Total Cap Space is then about 14.000.000

Although a lot of recruits to fill positions can be taken from within organisation - also there will be injuries a s o - so there is a definite need to sign some UFA:s in offseason - imo at these positions:

UFA:s
Veteran nr 1 Center - at around 5 M. 5.500.000 (Datsyuk??), 5.000.000 (Gomez or Sundin), 4.500.000 (Forsberg)
Power forward - 1.800.000 (M. Nilsson 1.800.000, D Tucker 3.000.000...)
Defenseman (1st liner) 4.000.000 (E Brewer 3.000.000, B. Berard 3.500.000, S Souray 3.500.000...)
Defenseman (solid defensive) - 1.500.000
Backup goalie - 2.000.000 or ? Montoya ? ($850K)

Backup stuff/Hartford
FW - Ibister (600.000 in minors)
C - Krog (600.000 in minors)
FW - Unnamed reserve enforcer (600.000 in minors)

This should all fit in economically. It would allow the team to be contenders 2007 while developing/keeping the youth in the organisation.

Loose this weight
Malik (Trade now !!)
Hall (Trade or let go)
J. Ward (Trade or let go)
Immonen (trade now?)
Montoya (ev trade bait now)
Rachunek (Let go to UFA)
Orr (Let go)
Ozo (Let go/retire)
Kaspar (retires)Weekes (New team - won´t resign with NYR)

This looks very interesting indeed. Trade some of the above weight together with ev draft picks to try and acquire some of what you are looking for now and attempt to go somewhere in the postseason. But do not blow the future by dealing the "untouchables of youth" mentioned above. There would be great future if some /most of the above scenarios developed - both long & short term.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Levitate

Do Hossa and Orts really deserve more money than Betts?

At the amount of money we're talking about, it's really just nitpicking on our end, but I would think Betts contract somewhat sets the bar for the other 4th line types on the team.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:27 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
FW - Jagr, FW - Straka, D -Tyutin, FW -Dawes, D - A. Ward, D - Roszival, C -Cullen, C - Betts = 15.564.000 (8 players)

C - Nylander (Resign at $3.3)
FW - Shanny (Resign $4,5 million)
FW - Marcel Hossa (Resign $750K)
G - Lundqvist (Resign $3.5 million)
FW - Prucha (Resign $2,5 million)
FW - Orts (Resign $700K)
FW - Hollweg (Resign $600K)
D - Pock (Resign $950K)
Total cost to resign these 8 players - 16.500.000

These youngsters should be given chance to make the squad (2,550.000)
D - Staal ($850K)
D - Girardi ($850K)
FW - Callahan ($850K)
FW - Baranka ($850K)
C - Dubinsky ($850K)
G - Montoya ($850K)

ASay that 3 (at least) qualify
Total salary cost is then - 35.000.000

Salary Cap is at 49.000.000

The Total Cap Space is then about 14.000.000

Although a lot of recruits to fill positions can be taken from within organisation - also there will be injuries a s o - so there is a definite need to sign some UFA:s in offseason - imo at these positions:

UFA:s
Veteran nr 1 Center - at around 5 M. 5.500.000 (Datsyuk??), 5.000.000 (Gomez or Sundin), 4.500.000 (Forsberg)
Power forward - 1.800.000 (M. Nilsson 1.800.000, D Tucker 3.000.000...)
Defenseman (1st liner) 4.000.000 (E Brewer 3.000.000, B. Berard 3.500.000, S Souray 3.500.000...)
Defenseman (solid defensive) - 1.500.000
Backup goalie - 2.000.000 or ? Montoya ? ($850K)

Backup stuff/Hartford
FW - Ibister (600.000 in minors)
C - Krog (600.000 in minors)
FW - Unnamed reserve enforcer (600.000 in minors)

This should all fit in economically. It would allow the team to be contenders 2007 while developing/keeping the youth in the organisation.

Loose this weight
Malik (Trade now !!)
Hall (Trade or let go)
J. Ward (Trade or let go)
Immonen (trade now?)
Montoya (ev trade bait now)
Rachunek (Let go to UFA)
Orr (Let go)
Ozo (Let go/retire)
Kaspar (retires)Weekes (New team - won´t resign with NYR)

This looks very interesting indeed. Trade some of the above weight together with ev draft picks to try and acquire some of what you are looking for now and attempt to go somewhere in the postseason. But do not blow the future by dealing the "untouchables of youth" mentioned above. There would be great future if some /most of the above scenarios developed - both long & short term.
lol I thought my numbers were a bit off, but in the other direction lol. With the cap going up next season 1 or 2 million they actually would have 15 or 16 million in cap space. I don't think they should use all of it this off season, but maybe half (The UFA age goes down agian I believe after next season). I think the Rangers should go after a center, but not Foppa or Sundin. I'd rather go after Briere, Drury, Gomez, or Datsyuk. I think that those D you listed that are UFA's might go for more money then you listed, especially Souray, who is one of the league leaders in defensmen points and a all star starter.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:34 AM
BBKers

Quote:
lol I thought my numbers were a bit off, but in the other direction lol. With the cap going up next season 1 or 2 million they actually would have 15 or 16 million in cap space. I don't think they should use all of it this off season, but maybe half (The UFA age goes down agian I believe after next season). I think the Rangers should go after a center, but not Foppa or Sundin. I'd rather go after Briere, Drury, Gomez, or Datsyuk. I think that those D you listed that are UFA's might go for more money then you listed, especially Souray, who is one of the league leaders in defensmen points and a all star starter.

Souray is at 2.400.000 now. Say he doubles his salary - which you are right that is possible that he might. His wife would love to live in NYC btw

I think Brewer or Berard at around 3.5 M are possibilities. Someone to fill this vaccant and ignorized role is however very very impending and vital!

I must readily admit that your choice of centers is much more appealing in the longer run (opposed to mine that would be more short term & max be a 2 year deal) as the people you listed could fill in Nylanders C roll for some time after he retires as well. This I very much agree with. I really meant more to fill the roles rather than the actual players that would do so... And I also hope that some of this talent also develops from within to fill these roles/positions. The best and cheapest way in the long term.

Last edited by BBKers: 01-26-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old
01-26-2007, 11:39 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Do Hossa and Orts really deserve more money than Betts?

At the amount of money we're talking about, it's really just nitpicking on our end, but I would think Betts contract somewhat sets the bar for the other 4th line types on the team.
Good point. But the newer contracts will be a little inflated I believe compared to older ones. Just what I think - no fairness here or actual real reason for these salary additions upwards I imagined/predicted

Old
01-26-2007, 11:50 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Souray is at 2.400.000 now. Say he doubles his salary - which is possible. His wife would love to live in NYC

I think Brewer or Berard at around 3.5 M are possibilities.

I must readily admit that your choice of centers is much more appealing in the longer run (opposed to mine that would be more short term & max be a 2 year deal) as the people you listed could fill in Nylanders C roll for some time after he retires as well. This I very much agree with. I really meant more to fill the roles rather than the players... And hope that some of this talent also develops from within.
Of the 3 D-men you listed, if the Rangers were to go after a UFA D-man, I'd say go after Souray if his price tag is less than 5 million per season. He could QB the PP and would be a 1st pairing D-man that this team needs. We have to remember that the team already has A. Ward, Rosy, Toots, and Malik under contract for next season already (I hope they trade Malik, but it remains to be seen if they will or not). Staal will more than likely ready to play on the big club next season as well. Don't forget about Girardi, Baranka, and Pock (If he resigns with the team). The only way the Rangers sign a UFA D-man would be if one of Ward or Malik are dealt.

As for the UFA centers I listed, I would def. want to go after those type of players. They are young and still in their primes. 4 years at $5.5-6 is not too bad for those type of players, maybe a little less. It would solve the 2nd line center problem and as you said, when Nylander retires, whoever the Rangers sign can step up to the first line center spot.

Old
01-26-2007, 12:04 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Of the 3 D-men you listed, if the Rangers were to go after a UFA D-man, I'd say go after Souray if his price tag is less than 5 million per season. He could QB the PP and would be a 1st pairing D-man that this team needs. We have to remember that the team already has A. Ward, Rosy, Toots, and Malik under contract for next season already (I hope they trade Malik, but it remains to be seen if they will or not). Staal will more than likely ready to play on the big club next season as well. Don't forget about Girardi, Baranka, and Pock (If he resigns with the team). The only way the Rangers sign a UFA D-man would be if one of Ward or Malik are dealt.
I would deal Malik. Like Yesterday.
I think you might have to work with 8 defensemen on the squad (if we presume Malik goes) - especially if 2-3 of them are unwritten NHL cards (youngsters) such as Pock, Girardi and Staal (or add Baranka in there somewhere). There will - as we know - always be injuries. So I would keep Tyutin, Rozie, Ward. Trade for a new QB firstpair defender now (eventually a UFA?) for Malik + draft pick. Sign him if it works out. I would also try to acquire insurance with signing another defensively stable defender as a UFA after the season - not too expensive though (say max 2.000.000). Just to add some necessary depth that the team might otherwise lack.
5 M is actually nothing (looking at what the other underachievers here now earn!) for a top defenseman that can score on the PP: I think the Rangers have like an incredibly meager 4 PP goals by defensemen this year. Ridiculous!

Old
01-26-2007, 12:10 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
I would deal Malik. Like Yesterday.
I think you might have to work with 8 defensemen on the squad (if we presume Malik goes) - especially if 2-3 of them are unwritten NHL cards (youngsters) such as Pock, Girardi and Staal (or add Baranka in there somewhere). There will - as we know - always be injuries. So I would keep Tyutin, Rozie, Ward. Trade for a new QB firstpair defender now (eventually a UFA?) for Malik + draft pick. Sign him if it works out. Also acquire insurance with another defensively stable defender as a UFA - not too expensive though. To add some depth that the team might otherwise lack.
5 M is actually nothing (lookinfg at what the other underachievers here now earn!) for a top defenseman that can score on the PP: I think the Rangers have like an incredibly meager 4 PP goals by defensemen this year. Ridiculous!
Souray would def. fill that role with that booming shot he has. I doubt Montreal would trade him this season, especially for just Malik and a draft pick, but I would def. take a run at him this off season if the price is right. I don't know if its a good idea to carry 8 D-men on the big club next season. I know injuries happen but it would be better off for those younger players (Not Pock though) to get ice time in the AHL instead of watching the Rangers play. The trading of Ward or Malik depends on how Girardi plays while he is up here. If he plays well I can see one of them getting dealt and him being a regular player on the Rangers backline next season. That makes the D look something like this (w/out UFA's):

Ward-Staal
Rosy-Toots
Girardi-Pock
Baranka

Now who goes down to Hartford if the Rangers sign a UFA D-man? Its a tough choice.

Old
01-26-2007, 12:14 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Souray would def. fill that role with that booming shot he has. I doubt Montreal would trade him this season, especially for just Malik and a draft pick, but I would def. take a run at him this off season if the price is right. I don't know if its a good idea to carry 8 D-men on the big club next season. I know injuries happen but it would be better off for those younger players (Not Pock though) to get ice time in the AHL instead of watching the Rangers play. The trading of Ward or Malik depends on how Girardi plays while he is up here. If he plays well I can see one of them getting dealt and him being a regular player on the Rangers backline next season. That makes the D look something like this (w/out UFA's):

Ward-Staal
Rosy-Toots
Girardi-Pock
Baranka

Now who goes down to Hartford if the Rangers sign a UFA D-man? Its a tough choice.
If nobody is dealt - my lineup would look the same. But I would idealistically like it to look something like:'

New nr 1 - Staal
Ward - Tyutin
Pock - New defensive guy
Girardi/Baranka nr 7 - to be used if "the top 6" do not deliver or are injured...
Nr 8 (looser between Girardi/Baranka) in Hartford playing lots of time and ready to move up if anyone gets hurt. This would be adding hungry future depth to the lineup, not watching this years sinking demise of overpaid underachieving older washups...
I think it may be a gamble (maybe well worth taking) to add 3 young guys to the starting roster. But it would also be interesting in trying it.

Last edited by BBKers: 01-26-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old
01-26-2007, 12:26 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
If nobody is dealt - my lineup would look the same. But I would idealistically like it to look something like:'

New nr 1 - Staal
Ward - Tyutin
Pock - New defensive guy
Girardi/Baranka nr 7 - to be used if "the top 6" do not deliver or are injured...
Nr 8 (looser between Girardi/Baranka) in Hartford playing lots of time and ready to move up if anyone gets hurt. This would be adding hungry future depth to the lineup, not watching this years sinking demise of overpaid underachieving older washups...
I think it may be a gamble (maybe well worth taking) to add 3 young guys to the starting roster. But it would also be interesting in trying it.
That would be a nice D-core as well, but I doubt the Rangers trade Rosy, since he plays so much with Jagr, but Malik I can see being dealt. That would probably knock out the "new defensive guy" out of the bottom pairing, while inserting Rosy there more than likely. I forgot about Sauer too, who will more than likely be playing in Hartford next season, but could be ready in a couple of years as well.

Old
01-26-2007, 12:32 PM
BBKers

Quote:
That would be a nice D-core as well, but I doubt the Rangers trade Rosy, since he plays so much with Jagr, but Malik I can see being dealt. That would probably knock out the "new defensive give" [/U]out of the bottom pairing, while inserting Rosy there more than likely. I forgot about Sauer too, who will more than likely be playing in Hartford next season, but could be ready in a couple of years as well.
I missed Rozie as well. Uhhh duhh. Got a weeks high fever from a nasty infection in my elbow and it is making me a bit dazed & woozy

I agree that he will be staying on the team - but not as a 1st liner. That makes the new defender I was insinuating of acquiring a bit of an overkill - I can agree 110% with you there. Saves some cap space too.

Old
01-26-2007, 12:37 PM
TheRedressor

For some reason I don't see Staal starting with the Rangers next season, he'll most likely be the main man in Hartford.

Staal-Baranka
Sauer-Lampman
Degon-Purinton

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 12:39 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
For some reason I don't see Staal starting with the Rangers next season, he'll most likely be the main man in Hartford.

Staal-Baranka
Sauer-Lampman
Degon-Purinton
lol for a second there I thought that was your proposal for the D-core for the Rangers haha. My mind isn't working too well today. That Hartford D-core is nasty imo.

Old
01-26-2007, 12:42 PM
BBKers

Quote:

Staal-Baranka
Sauer-Lampman
Degon-Purinton
If The Rangers would acquire a real franchise nr 1 guy - it would be great to pair up Staal with him to be a mentor. Otherwise it may get a bit scary for such a diamond in the rough with the present defensive corps teaching him to play their "style" of hockey in the big league. I think he is potentially ready - if given the chance. But with Renney/Sather you never know...

Old
01-26-2007, 12:57 PM
shoothepuck

You hope Girardi plays well on Saturday, because as we've seen before, Renney will limit his time about 5 minutes into the game, and god forbid he plays average, we won't see much of him again. Who he's paired with will be key.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 01:01 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
You hope Girardi plays well on Saturday, because as we've seen before, Renney will limit his time about 5 minutes into the game, and god forbid he plays average, we won't see much of him again. Who he's paired with will be key.
According to the "Renney in Newsday" Thread, he will either be paired with Pock or Tyutin.

Old
01-26-2007, 01:26 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
If The Rangers would acquire a real franchise nr 1 guy - it would be great to pair up Staal with him to be a mentor. Otherwise it may get a bit scary for such a diamond in the rough with the present defensive corps teaching him to play their "style" of hockey in the big league. I think he is potentially ready - if given the chance. But with Renney/Sather you never know...
While I agree it would be nice to have Staal play with a mentor...I just don't see the kid getting first line ice time early in his first year on the club. Maybe sometime later on in the season perhaps. I'd slide him in somewhere on the second or third line to start out.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:43 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
So now when do we hear again about Bozolinsh?
He visted the doctor the first week of this month.2 to 3 weeks is almost up.Sometime late next week

From Dellapina's blog-Jan 18

Quote:
The Rangers chose not to contest Ozolinsh's second opinion by invoking their CBA-provided right to seek a third, mutually-agreed-upon doctor to make a tiebreaking ruling. Thus, Ozolinsh's $2.75 million contract continues to count against their salary cap.

However, as soon as Ozolinsh again is declared cleared to play (probably not until another two weeks have passed), he again will be assigned to Hartford, clearing more cap space in case the Rangers want to make a deal before the Feb. 27 trade deadline that would require adding payroll
http://blogs.nydailynews.com/rangers/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Can't really limit a defensemans icetime to 5 minutes. It'd mess up your pairings and force 5 guys to shoulder more time than they should.

He'll get time

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Can't really limit a defensemans icetime to 5 minutes. It'd mess up your pairings and force 5 guys to shoulder more time than they should.

He'll get time
So, did Girardi get "enough" time for you? For me, it wasn't enough time to get any feeling for his play.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:13 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
So, did Girardi get "enough" time for you? For me, it wasn't enough time to get any feeling for his play.
I think he got 12 minutes today. The next lowest for a D-man was like 18 or 19 I think.

Old
01-27-2007, 10:30 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Prucha will not be ghetting $2.5MM as some have speculated but more likely a contract similar to Tyutin's which I believe is about $1MM per year for this and next year.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 01:53 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Really loved the way he played Saturday. Can't wait for something like:

Tyutin, Pock, Girardi, Baranka, Liffiton, Cliche

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote