HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes Thread Part VI: "Where the Hell is the News Thread?" Editon

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2014, 02:20 PM
rocky7
DAT 13

vCash: 1400
not getting into coaching, use of players, systems, etc. in this post but.......

Bowman, Nash, Boychuk and Sutter have all been assessed plenty (what you've seen is what you'll likely continue to get) and all fall into the 'zip around fast, doing nothing, but aren't really a detriment either' category. that, and for the time being anyway, are serviceable call-ups. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of Palushaj (sp.) actually because I thought he didn't look too bad and played with a slight edge to him in the few minutes he did play, idk.

but anyway yeah, you don't usually like to lose a guy for nothing if you can help it of course. I don't see a point in just waiving them either. any of these guys could be thrown into a trade and let someone else hope that they'll somehow develop into something more than they aren't (NHL players as opposed to AHL players/tweeners)....... Dalpe played with the Sedins and scored a goal however.... .

Lindholm being drafted on a different team wouldn't be an issue but with the Canes he is due to depth. they "need" him now. Lindholm is the issue in the "need for another center" problem and it doesn't matter what any of us think about him one way or da udder at this point because he was drafted for that position to play now for better or for worse. now I too think he is at risk of being badly injured, but no more or less than Skinner really (to me, Skinner "hears footsteps" and shies away from hits, usually leaving the puck, turning it over, or making a blind pass whereas Lindholm doesn't). it is his development that must be nurtured at the NHL level and it can be done IMO. they are not sending him to Sweden and I don't trust his development to Charlotte with that bunch at all. it's Muller's responsibility to use the kid properly. the onus is on Muller and the rest of the staff to take care of Lindholm's development within this organization as it is. it's apparent that they had no plans to develop him slowly and carefully. there are many ways of doing so but on this team he'll have to just be thrown out there to the wolves, so to speak. there just aren't many options unless other players are brought in at this point.

that said, it's probably not the time to experiment too much but it couldn't hurt much either and I wouldn't mind seeing something like this with the players they have and Muller can roll his four lines as he sees fit. this is based on a few things, some of which are; 1-Skinner can't play center, 2-Skinner and Semin should not be playing together except on the PP IMO, 3-Lindholm with Semin is intriguing and may just work great given their skill sets, and with them, Tlusty may again find the holes and regain his scoring touch.
from the day Semin was brought in, he was to be "the shooter". he isn't a shooter, he's a playmaker first and foremost. a playmaker who happens to have a good shot and can score, etc., but his real forte is setting up other guys. it happens multiple times in every game that he creates good scoring chances but they don't finish. among other things, this topic has a lot to do with Semin's game right now. you would think that Semin and Skinner should work better than it does but again, these two guys should be on separate lines. I really don't think it matters much who Skinner plays with for himself to be effective or not. I think the following is worth a look really.

I'll take a shot at this fan lineup thing, so maybe this for the hell of it/? being that Eric Staal must be the 1st line center and Jordan Staal must be the 2nd line center for everyone on this team. all are NHL players with the exception of one fourth liner:

Skinner-Staal-Ruutu
Gerbe-Staal-Dwyer
Tlusty-Lindholm-Semin
Dvorak-Malhotra-Boychuk/Palushaj

Old
01-12-2014, 09:28 PM
WolfCane
I wanted teh car...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
Skinner-Staal-Ruutu
Gerbe-Staal-Dwyer
Tlusty-Lindholm-Semin
Dvorak-Malhotra-Boychuk/Palushaj
That is where the need for our 3rd liner comes in handy. Semin on the third when healthy is totally misusing him. Today's Ruutu should not touch first line minutes when everyone is healthy also. Bringing in Backlund, Gagner or whoever would be the most logic thing. I say roll these lines:

Skinner-Eric-Semin
Gerbe-Jordan-Dwyer
Tlusty-???-Lindholm
Dvorak-Malhotra-Boychuck?

Lindholm isn't quite ready to be a center in the NHL. We really need to take him slow and may be push Boychuck to the 3rd and put Bowman to the 4th. SES line works really well because of how great of a play-maker Semin is and how hot of a shooter Skinner is right now. At the moment, Nash will take the 3c, but in order to make a solid playoff push, that 3c needs to be filled with someone better.

Old
01-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Ideal for me:

Skinner / Eric / Semin
Gerbe / Jordan / Hemsky
Tlusty / Backlund / Lindholm
Dvorak / Malholtra / Dwyer

Seks / Faulk
Hains / Bell
Liles / Murph
Harrison / Komi

Anton
Bryz

(Trading out Ward, Peters, Nash, Bowman, and Ruutu)

Last edited by Lethargic: 01-12-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old
01-12-2014, 09:55 PM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Gagner has some awful possession numbers against some protected, easy competition. And he isn't scoring enough to make up for it, especially at his salary. I'd steer very clear of him.

Old
01-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Gagner has some awful possession numbers against some protected, easy competition. And he isn't scoring enough to make up for it, especially at his salary. I'd steer very clear of him.
Swap him for Hemsky then.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:02 PM
rocky7
DAT 13

vCash: 1400
for me, Hemsky yes and Gagner, no.

anyways, the above was based on what they have, not sticking in some hypothetical player obtained in a trade that hasn't and probably won't take place. the way Muller is rolling the lines, I don't think it matters who is on what line (meaning Semin on 3rd, especially with Lindholm is fine/good, etc.)(like I explained). it's more a matter of playing guys who best compliment each other to me and trying to find effective 5v5 units. that and trying to find the best way of using Lindholm since he is going to be there and for now at least, this is the group. deal with trades when and if they happen.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:09 PM
bleedgreen

Hemsky over gagner? No thanks. Gagner could easily slide into a Cullen like role for us. Hemsky could slip on the ice and be done for the year.

Old
01-12-2014, 11:16 PM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

Maybe a Cullen-like role in that he'd be playing center in a 3rd line scoring role, but the difference between Cullen and Gagner is that Cullen was above average defensively and could win faceoffs.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:45 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

skinner- estaal- hemsky
gerbe- jstaal- semin
tlusty- gordon- lindholm
bowman- malhotra- dwyer
boychuk- nash- dvorak

hemsky is soft as a cheese but he's pending ufa. if that doesn't wоrk for next few months, just do not bring him back. he's good playmaker, we could use that kind of player on pp.

i prefer something around boyd gordon and ales hemsky than gagner just because gagner contract is pretty pathetic.

ruutu and peters for hemsky and gordon. no picks, no prospects. just like that. in my opinion, rutherford are going to trade for package - hemsky/ gordon, whitney/ fiddler, stepmniak/ stajan.

Last edited by OrioleWay: 01-13-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old
01-13-2014, 06:22 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Hemsky over gagner? No thanks. Gagner could easily slide into a Cullen like role for us. Hemsky could slip on the ice and be done for the year.
I have always felt like Gagner had more offensive chops than he has shown statistically for Edmonton in fits and starts. There's a real possibility he tops out as a 55-60 point guy in the right situation. Edmonton has been a train wreck since he's been there.

Old
01-13-2014, 02:19 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Maybe a Cullen-like role in that he'd be playing center in a 3rd line scoring role, but the difference between Cullen and Gagner is that Cullen was above average defensively and could win faceoffs.
The Cullen we originally signed was not really the guy you speak of. That guy couldn't find an nhl job and tended to dangle at the blue trying to beat guys one on every play. One of the complaints about gagner, too.

Cullen grew into the guy your speaking of. Defensive play I mean, not necessarily face offs. Getting gagner at this point would be getting a better player than the one we got originally with Cullen IMO, though he obviously is far more expensive.

I agree with vagrant, gagner IMO is better than what he has put up statistically. Those have been some bad teams.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:48 PM
daikan
(╯︵╰,)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
The Cullen we originally signed was not really the guy you speak of. That guy couldn't find an nhl job and tended to dangle at the blue trying to beat guys one on every play. One of the complaints about gagner, too.

Cullen grew into the guy your speaking of. Defensive play I mean, not necessarily face offs. Getting gagner at this point would be getting a better player than the one we got originally with Cullen IMO, though he obviously is far more expensive.

I agree with vagrant, gagner IMO is better than what he has put up statistically. Those have been some bad teams.
Then again, the Cullen we originally signed made something like $700k.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:52 PM
bluedevil58*

Why on earth would we ever want Gagner? A whopping -17. This is not our answer.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil58 View Post
Surely you aren't serious?

Old
01-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil58 View Post
I'm not saying we should go after Gagner, but using +/- is not the reason. The Oilers are a combined -217 as a team so +/- is not the best stat to use.

But, if you want to go by +/- alone:

Gagner...-17 on a team that is a combined -217
E. Staal...-15 on a team that is a combined -54

Seems like he'd fit right in.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I'm not saying we should go after Gagner, but using +/- is not the reason. The Oilers are a combined -217 as a team so +/- is not the best stat to use.

But, if you want to go by +/- alone:

Gagner...-17 on a team that is a combined -217
E. Staal...-15 on a team that is a combined -54

Seems like he'd fit right in.
Yeah, this. Using +/- as a metric to determine the value of an Oiler is ill advised.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:03 PM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Using +/- to determine the value of anything is ill advised. I literally never look at it anymore. The NHL would be better served if they didn't keep track of it anymore

Old
01-13-2014, 11:09 PM
Novacane

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Using +/- to determine the value of anything is ill advised. I literally never look at it anymore. The NHL would be better served if they didn't keep track of it anymore
Yeah. The only use I have is to get a chuckle the times someone still manages to be a minus when their team blows out someone. But other than that it's basically a completely useless stat.

Old
01-14-2014, 11:38 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
This is how it looks when you view the Hurricanes' season in terms of streaks:

L
W
L
W
L L L
W W
L L L L L
W W
L
W W
L L L L
W W
L L
W W W
L L L
W
L L L L L
W W W W W
L L

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 01-14-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old
01-14-2014, 12:16 PM
geehaad

That last win streak was 5.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

So removing the single games, you've got something like this:

L L L
W W
L L L L L
W W
W W
L L L L
W W
L L
W W W
L L L
L L L L L
W W W W W
L L

That's 8 more losses than wins in streaks (I believe)

To compare, I'll post the Rangers

L L L
L L
W W W
W W W
L L
W W
L L L L
L L
W W
W W
W W W

That's 1 more win than loss.

The Flyers

L L L
L L L L
W W
L L
W W W
W W W
L L
W W
L L L
W W
W W W W
W W W
L L

That's 2 more wins than losses.

The Capitals:

L L L
W W W
L L
W W W W
L L
W W W
L L L L
W W
W W W
L L
L L L L
W W

Even amount of wins and losses.

In other words, the 3 Metro bubble teams in playoff positions right now are even or better in their streaks. Carolina's somehow a -8, probably because none of the others have a losing streak of more than 4 and Carolina's got two of them.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:58 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Basically what we have is a team that loses 3-5 in a row, then gets back in our good graces by winning 2-3 in a row.

Old
01-15-2014, 08:56 PM
totaltank

Toronto-Buffalo tonight is Gleason vs. Ott. Late in the third, no fight yet.

It's also Jamie McBain vs. Gleason in a matchup of our defensive castoffs. Gleason is minus-1 (minus-4 in six games for TOR with one assist).

Old
01-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

Speaking of former Canes, Sutter and Jokinen help the Pens earn the win and prevent Washington from getting yet another loser point

Old
01-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

vCash: 50
Murphy skating on JStaal's wing. Obviously just as a fill-in, but still sending my imagination wild as to what kind of bizarre lineups we could ice right now.

Closed Thread