HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The truth behind why the Oilers Suck

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2014, 11:45 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

vCash: 500
The truth behind why the Oilers Suck

I've seen many threads about this recently and it's getting quite annoying. Yes the Oilers suck but in all honesty it isn't their fault

They chose the WORST 3 years to suck in over a decade. Their #1 overal picks just aren't up to par with other recent #1s. Not only that but other than RNH, their picks have been wingers. Wingers are the least essential part to a winning team . center depth and D are most important, they lack both. MacKinnon would of benefitted this team greatly, an NHL ready center.

And I hate to say it but this won't end this year, Reinhart is a very meh #1 and IMO is a 4-7 in most drafts, sure he's a good player but not the franchise changer you hope for at #1. Ekblad could be the game changing D, but realistically he won't have a giagantic impact right away.

Also the oilers are in the toughest division in hockey, they're getting tougher opponents more times then most others, games they just can't win.

If I'm the GM I deal both of Yak and Eberle for a good center, and a good D. You take the hit in skill level to improve positional importance. I draft Ekblad and go from there

Old
01-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Jot
P.Kane = Kessel

Should have drafted Murray in 2012 and Lehner in 2009.

Possible future core...

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Gagner - Hemsky

Murray - Petry
Nurse - J.Schultz

Lehner
Dubnyk

Old
JKG33
Richards & Carter

This guy gets it

Old
Senor Catface

Taylor Hall is clearly on par with other first round picks while RNH is doing fine. Yakupov hasn't even played 100 games.

***** please.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
If the Oilers suck next year then they are set for real.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:54 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

If they had Miller and Suter on there team they would make the playoffs.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:57 PM
13elieve

What I imagine the yearly management meeting for the Oilers is..

Craig MacTavish: "suck again"
eaking: LOL k

Old
01-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Yeah, building around a winger doesn't usually go well. There are plenty of examples (Nash, Kovalchuk off the top of my head... even Ovechkin is arguable given how good he is and how it hasn't translated to post-season success for Washington).

That said, Oilers absolutely should not dump young, talented wingers unless it brings in an equally young, talented defenseman. They really should stay the course and try to keep building a team. Players like Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov are very valuable to any team and it's better to have them than not. There are no quick fixes when you've dug yourself into a hole like that.

The major problem (aside from the strength of the drafts) is a culture of losing. It's permeated in Columbus for the first decade and really demonstrates how a lack of confidence and success can affect young players developmentally and can keep franchises in a rut. They need to somehow get themselves out of that rut. I think Columbus did it via the Carter and Nash trades, bringing in leaders like Johnson and Dubinsky (as well as Bobrovsky playing unreal which definitely helps). Now, it's a totally different team where if they get down in a game they often rally and bounce back instead of hanging their heads. They keep focused and execute a plan.

What Edmonton needs most, from the point of view of a keyboard warrior in Columbus, is to cultivate a culture of winning so that players upon being drafted or signed come in and expect to win. If they don't win, there isn't a country club atmosphere or a "ho-hum, it's the Oilers" situation. Players who are used to winning will keep each other accountable and a staff that is used to winning doesn't lose the locker room easily. It will also help with a coaching carousel where a coach can come in, have some measure of consistency, and establish a plan that the team can stick to.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
Taylor Hall is clearly on par with other first round picks while RNH is doing fine. Yakupov hasn't even played 100 game.

***** please.
First overall picks, starting from the year 2003 (OP said over a decade, this is exactly a decade. And it's a nice play to cut off since all players are post-lockout players.):

Ovie
Crosby
EJ
Kane
Stamkos
Tavares
Hall
RNH
Yakupov
Mackinnon

Old
01-13-2014, 11:59 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

It's actually a lack of veteran leadership. But yours is a nice theory too.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:00 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

I agree you pretty much have to build down the middle to be a dominant team. But they chose the guys with the most talent.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:01 AM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
First overall picks, starting from the year 2003 (OP said over a decade, this is exactly a decade):

Ovie
Crosby

EJ
Kane
Stamkos
Tavares
Hall
RNH
Yakupov
Mackinnon
If he said over a decade, cutting it at Ovechkin is really a dishonest way to make a faulty point.

Hall belongs. Sorry.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:04 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
thanks, that solves all our problems

Old
01-14-2014, 12:04 AM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
If he said over a decade, cutting it at Ovechkin is really a dishonest way to make a faulty point.

Hall belongs. Sorry.
Counting backwards in time:
MAF
Nash
Kovalchuk
DiPietro
Stefan

IMO Kovalchuk, DiPietro, and Stefan are too far back

But 04 is nice since it includes only post lockout players (I ninja-edited this in to my first post)

Old
01-14-2014, 12:05 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:

Hall belongs. Sorry.
I'm confused, are you arguing that Hall is on par with the average 1st overall player drafted in the past decade? If so, I agree.

If, on the other hand, you are arguing that building around a winger (as your best player) is a good strategy for success, I strongly disagree. It's gotta be strength down the middle or on the back end. A great center or defenseman has, in the past, demonstrated to be much more valuable to success than a great winger. Unfortunately, the best players in 2010 and 2012 were both wingers. Fortunately, the Oilers have no control over how good a draft is so are hardly to blame and really should just stay the course. It's not like they can choose when to suck. I also have an inkling if in 2012 the Oilers had drafted Murray or Galchenyuk, they would still be in the same position they are now.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I'm confused, are you arguing that Hall is on par with the average 1st overall player drafted in the past decade? If so, I agree.

If, on the other hand, you are arguing that building around a winger (as your best player) is a good strategy for success, I strongly disagree. It's gotta be strength down the middle or on the back end. A great center or defenseman has, in the past, demonstrated to be much more valuable to success than a great winger. Unfortunately, the best players in 2010 and 2012 were both wingers. Fortunately, the Oilers have no control over how good a draft is so are hardly to blame and really should just stay the course.
I was responding to the OP's comment that the Oiler 1 overall picks aren't on par with other 1's, which I disagree with.

Hall belongs, though RNH/Yakupov all have proving to do first. Just like Hall did.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Iron Fist
Steenie Bean-Bean

They drafted the best player in the draft every year instead of drafting to team needs.

This is just one of the reasons the Oilers are having issues. There are others.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:09 AM
Dean Ambrose
k

vCash: 133
They should have traded down for Murray.

If they get the chance, they better draft Ekblad.

I never thought I was a bad person. I just thought I was the one good person living in a world of bad people.
Old
01-14-2014, 12:10 AM
dss97

That's why we suck? Oh ok. I thought it had something to do with the fact that we can't keep the puck out of our net.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:11 AM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Hall is on par I think and RNH is pretty close. They're just in a terrible situation so its hard for them to progress and gain confidence in a losing environment. I think where they really screwed up was the 2012 draft. There was a good center dman, and winger and they took the winger. If they had taken Gally or Murray I think things would be a little brighter right now.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:11 AM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
I was responding to the OP's comment that the Oiler 1 overall picks aren't on par with other 1's, which I disagree with.

Hall belongs, though RNH/Yakupov all have proving to do first. Just like Hall did.
IMO Hall is on par with/better than:
Stefan (duh)
DiPietro (duh)
MAF
EJ

Honestly I would not include Stefan, Kovalchuk, or DiPietro for the purposes of this discussion, as none of them even play in the NHL anymore.

So that's

MAF
EJ

You can argue Mackinnon if you want?

Old
01-14-2014, 12:12 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeisenBackes View Post
They drafted the best player in the draft every year instead of drafting to team needs.
That's usually the right thing to do. You can't really be blamed for drafting BPA.

You can, however, take heat for failing to surround those BPA's with successful free agents or trade acquisitions as well as having cultivated talent from previous drafts.

If Edmonton had drafted Murray, do you think they would be significantly better right now? As a CBJ fan who thinks Murray is a beast, I have to say no obviously the Oilers would still be struggling. Murray alone wouldn't shore up a defense or goaltending. Maybe in 3 years he might, but not right now.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:18 AM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
It's not their fault that they suck? Wut.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:21 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
They don't suck because of who they draft first, they suck because of who they draft second and on.

They have a great core, but little insulation.

And it's way too premature to judge RNH, Yak or Reinhart. All of them will be great players, but these things take time.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:21 AM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
That's usually the right thing to do. You can't really be blamed for drafting BPA.

You can, however, take heat for failing to surround those BPA's with successful free agents or trade acquisitions as well as having cultivated talent from previous drafts.

If Edmonton had drafted Murray, do you think they would be significantly better right now? As a CBJ fan who thinks Murray is a beast, I have to say no obviously the Oilers would still be struggling. Murray alone wouldn't shore up a defense or goaltending. Maybe in 3 years he might, but not right now.
IIRC the oiler scouts wanted Murray but Tambelinni had the last call and chose to go with Yakupov.

Closed Thread