HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Tippett's future after not making the playoffs for 2 straight seasons

View Poll Results: What is Tippett's Future is we don't make the playoffs?
Tippett is Fired 10 10.75%
Tippett is in the Hot Seat 18 19.35%
Tippett will complete his contract no matter what 60 64.52%
Other(Please state why you choose other) 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-13-2014, 10:21 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
****in at least showcase Rundblad for another team. Play the *******.

Maloney is bullied by Tippet. I'm not surprised, I'd be scared of Tippet too. But the GM has to take authority here.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:30 PM
WJF

Check Tippet's record in Dallas before they canned him. He only had one bad season there. They still had the balls to can him.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:37 PM
cobra427

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
Check Tippet's record in Dallas before they canned him. He only had one bad season there. They still had the balls to can him.
And they have sucked ever since, great move by Dallas, fire a solid coach after one bad year. sounds smart to me, we should do it too ...The insanity continues....

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:40 PM
ducky

I said other. Tippett is safe this year and next. If the team continues to decline he may eventually be let go.

He wouldn't be unemployed more than a few days I imagine. He is a top coach in the NHL.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:41 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
And they haven't had the balls to make the playoffs since.

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:43 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
And they haven't had the balls to make the playoffs since.
More of a function of the roster and failed management experiment there. Nill will have them back competing soon enough.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:48 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
More of a function of the roster and failed management experiment there. Nill will have them back competing soon enough.
Even if we fired Tip, we would be stuck with his contract for years, and I doubt there's a single coach available that would be any better.

Last edited by CC96: 01-13-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old
01-13-2014, 11:21 PM
WJF

Quote:
Even if we fired Tip, we would be stuck with his contract for years, and I doubt there's a single coach available that would be any better.
Laviolette. He would fit well with this lineup. I watched him on HBO

Old
01-13-2014, 11:41 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Laviolette. He would fit well with this lineup. I watched him on HBO
We're 7th. in the NHL in goals scored per game yet 23 in goals against per game, so scoring goals is not a problem. Do you really think Laviolette's run and gun system is going to help improve our poor GAA, shoddy defense, and inconsistent goaltending?

Old
01-14-2014, 12:03 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
I think he'll be on the hot seat but given the nod to begin the 2014-15 season, on a somewhat short leash (not too short, but still somewhat short).

01-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Grimes

Quote:
Do you really think Laviolette's run and gun system is going to help improve our poor GAA, shoddy defense, and inconsistent goaltending?
Maybe if they want to carry 6 PMD.

Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:20 AM
WJF

Quote:
We're 7th. in the NHL in goals scored per game yet 23 in goals against per game, so scoring goals is not a problem. Do you really think Laviolette's run and gun system is going to help improve our poor GAA, shoddy defense, and inconsistent goaltending?
Best defense is a good offense.

BTW, our offense is stalling over the past 15-20 games, hence our crappy record over that stretch.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:12 AM
cobra427

Quote:

BTW, our offense is stalling over the past 15-20 games, hence our crappy record over that stretch.
Our D and goal tending has been sub par, most would say, you might have it backwards...

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
This is the fallacy that a lot of people are dealing with. The Coyotes let him out of his contract to sign with another team, so the people saying that he would be on the market for all of 6 minutes need to remember we would not be stuck with his contract.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 07:52 AM
DesertDawg

THE YEARLY RANT THREAD

Maloney has been trying to make a trade all season. And since nothing has happen, my guess, there isn't a decent trade to be made to improve the Coyotes current roster and the long term ramifications.
Once the trade market opens up, I'm sure Maloney will eventually make trades.
BTW, Halpern was signed to a 2 way contract -> This tells me the Coyotes didn't think he was the solution, but a back-up/insurance plan.
As you can tell, I blame the roster on Maloney and not Tippet. But also I'm not complaining (the season is only 1/2 over) and still expect the team to make the playoffs.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Fallenone

Quote:

Don't forget how bad our offense was last year also. Wasn't Yandle our Top Scorer?

Fallenone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:27 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I would trade/waive his little favorites like Halpern and Schlemko so that he is forced to play younger guys. Maloney needs to have a Moneyball moment with Tippett where he dictates the roster as it should be played.
Sure, waive/trade Halpern and Schlemko. That's fine. No argument from me.

But the true "favorite" I really want gone...like YESTERDAY!...is David Moss. My god. I think he's spent more time on Ribeiro's wing than any player this year. We need to ditch Moss to save Tippett from himself. Seriously, trade Moss right now and watch Ribeiro's points per game grow.

01-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

But the true "favorite" I really want gone...like YESTERDAY!...is David Moss. My god. I think he's spent more time on Ribeiro's wing than any player this year. We need to ditch Moss to save Tippett from himself. Seriously, trade Moss right now and watch Ribeiro's points per game grow.
This times 10

Moss is a large abscess on Ribs wing and he can't play w/skilled players nor should he have to. This is a 'major' mistake by GMDM and by Tipp, now Tipp doesn't have very many options at forward, but this is a glaring weakness that needs to be addressed.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:47 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

Ribeiro has played more even strength minutes than any forward on the team this year, and 51.9% of that time, he's been out with Moss. The next highest forward on Ribeiro's list is Doan at 41.4%.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:47 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:

Yet, we have a good offense by virtue of the fact that we are 6th in the NHL in goals scored. A 15-20 game blurb would put us somehwere around the middle of the pack, but we have effectively been a top 10 scoring offense all year.

Try "a good defense makes a poor offense better," and since we don't have a poor offense, that means "a good defense makes a good offense exceptional."

We have won plenty of 2-1, 3-2, 1-0 games in the past. We struggle to win games where we score 2 or 3 goals now.

BTW, Tippett is safe for this year and going forward. All teams go through good and bad times. The only difference between us and the Flyers is that our bad stretch is happening during the middle of the season, and the Flyers happened right from the start. Laviolette was fired 3 games in and the team went 3-6 in their next 9. Then things turned around. This isn't about what the coach is doing - it is about what the players on the ice are doing and what the results are when we deviate from the coaching.

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:58 AM
zerekstar

I think it will all sort its self out and Tip isn't going anywhere. Maloney has said Tip was his best signing.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:10 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
And they have sucked ever since, great move by Dallas, fire a solid coach after one bad year. sounds smart to me, we should do it too ...The insanity continues....
And they sucked with a ton more talent.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:21 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

as a long time supporter of this team I just want the management to tell me what the plan is because right now it seems we keep doing the same thing game after game. make a trade or not, demote someone just do something to strike a fire.

that said, this team has demonstrated over the Tippett years to go on a month long tear out of no where and go like 10-2-1 or something.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:45 AM
PhoPhan

If I had to use one word to describe Don Maloney, "patient" is the word I'd use.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:49 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
This times 10

Moss is a large abscess on Ribs wing and he can't play w/skilled players nor should he have to. This is a 'major' mistake by GMDM and by Tipp, now Tipp doesn't have very many options at forward, but this is a glaring weakness that needs to be addressed.
Doan and Boedker would be superior options, no? Tippett has those two available. Hell, even Korpikoski. But NOT Korpikoski AND Moss. Or Klinkhammer and Moss. Ugh. No, Dave. No. Bad, Dave. Bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Ribeiro has played more even strength minutes than any forward on the team this year, and 51.9% of that time, he's been out with Moss. The next highest forward on Ribeiro's list is Doan at 41.4%.
Yeesh. That's a problem.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote