HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Johnson = Selke?

Old
01-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Statman

vCash: 500
Johnson = Selke?

Just saw this article at
http://www.protrade.com/content/Disp...9-77778679352b
Thought it might bring up some discussion.

NHL: Top Defensive Forwards through All-Star Break
6 2 11 | Jan 23 2007 10:13 PM PST By hawerchuk
Topics: selke hockey nhl

Deciding who the best defensive forward in the league is has had all the objectivity of baseball's Gold Gloves or the fan voting for the NBA All-Star game. But thanks to the stats at http://www.behindthenet.ca, we can evaluate every player's defensive performance in both 5-on-5 and PK situations. (I encourage you to take a look!)

Here's a quick look at Frank Selke candidates through mid-season:

Mike Johnson, MTL - faced the 3rd-toughest even-strength opponents (by +/-), but still has an on/off-ice +/- of +2.07 goals/game. Is also -4 in 136 minutes of 4-on-5 play, which is in the top 15 in the league.

Radek Bonk, MTL - no longer a huge scorer, Bonk's stats are virtually identical to Johnson's, though he has allowed one more PP goal against.

Fernando Pisani, EDM - similar quality of opponents, good +/- himself, -3 in 123 PK minutes, which is better than Johnson.

Sergei Brylin, John Madden, Jay Pandolfo, NJ - if anybody has a reputation for quality defensive play, it's these guys. Madden and Pandolfo have faced the toughest competition in the league by a wide margin, while Brylin has been a very good penalty killer in slightly more limited ice time.

Some perennial Selke candidates are notable absent: Jere Lehtenin and Dallas Drake have faced tough opponents, but haven't done well on the PK. That's enough to take them out of the running in my book...

Statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 03:52 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statman View Post
Just saw this article at
http://www.protrade.com/content/Disp...9-77778679352b
Thought it might bring up some discussion.

NHL: Top Defensive Forwards through All-Star Break
6 2 11 | Jan 23 2007 10:13 PM PST By hawerchuk
Topics: selke hockey nhl

Deciding who the best defensive forward in the league is has had all the objectivity of baseball's Gold Gloves or the fan voting for the NBA All-Star game. But thanks to the stats at http://www.behindthenet.ca, we can evaluate every player's defensive performance in both 5-on-5 and PK situations. (I encourage you to take a look!)

Here's a quick look at Frank Selke candidates through mid-season:

Mike Johnson, MTL - faced the 3rd-toughest even-strength opponents (by +/-), but still has an on/off-ice +/- of +2.07 goals/game. Is also -4 in 136 minutes of 4-on-5 play, which is in the top 15 in the league.

Radek Bonk, MTL - no longer a huge scorer, Bonk's stats are virtually identical to Johnson's, though he has allowed one more PP goal against.

Fernando Pisani, EDM - similar quality of opponents, good +/- himself, -3 in 123 PK minutes, which is better than Johnson.

Sergei Brylin, John Madden, Jay Pandolfo, NJ - if anybody has a reputation for quality defensive play, it's these guys. Madden and Pandolfo have faced the toughest competition in the league by a wide margin, while Brylin has been a very good penalty killer in slightly more limited ice time.

Some perennial Selke candidates are notable absent: Jere Lehtenin and Dallas Drake have faced tough opponents, but haven't done well on the PK. That's enough to take them out of the running in my book...
Wow, Impressive!

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:17 PM
HabuseMoi

I dont think they will ever give the Selke to a player like Johnson even if it would make sense...

Just a feeling... I'd really like to see it happen

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:18 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
I dont think they will ever give the Selke to a player like Johnson even if it would make sense...

Just a feeling... I'd really like to see it happen
not me. He's a UFA

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:29 PM
shimy1221*

how can johnson get the selke with players like lehtinen, brindamour, and madden around?

shimy1221* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I don't think Johnson is even remotely a candidate. He has certainly done a decent job, but not the best on his team let alone the league. Pahlsson isn't even mentioned? Weird article.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:54 PM
RE-HABS

Sad to say but this trophy is based on points scored too, it isn't a "defensive" award really anymore...more a two way forward who can score too.

Look more to Drury, Brind'Amour, Rolston, or even St.Louis or Stoll winning before Johnson even gets nominateed.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Kingbobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Sad to say but this trophy is based on points scored too, it isn't a "defensive" award really anymore...more a two way forward who can score too.

Look more to Drury, Brind'Amour, Rolston, or even St.Louis or Stoll winning before Johnson even gets nominateed.
but it's without saying that those 3 guys are actual absolute shut down guys and the fact that they are offensive threats and points leaders at present makes it even more impressive

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 11:50 PM
znk

Quote:

Why sadly?
Brind'amour plays 23 minutes a game and is 60% on faceoffs.

Johnson is not in the same category as those guys. Interesting stats...but I'd take all the guys you named way ahead of him.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Darz

Quote:

I don't think it was ever really a 'defensive' award, but always a two-way trophy. Outside of a few really stand out 'defensive' forward, it always seems to go to a two way guy.