HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Race to the Playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2014, 08:27 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
I've been one of those downer posters alot this year but lets be real for a second. If the Islanders were to say win the next 4 of 5 games they would have positioned themselves to be right in the thick of it for the remainder of the season regardless of any percentages posted on websites. Do I think that's likely to happen? no. But it's also not that far-fetched.
24-11-0 down the stretch will get the Islanders 91 points which should be enough to get into the playoffs

To put that in perspective only 4 times this year in the NHL have a higher winning percentage in there first 45+ games(doable but the best of the best are the only ones doing it)

Old
01-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Hockey Overlord

If they'll keep it winning like these days there will be no question whether the Isles would get qualified. 7 points for 35 games is not a huuuge deal.

Old
01-13-2014, 08:42 PM
rikker
fan since '75.

i can't speak for others, but i will say this.

whether you are a 'positive' poster, or a 'negative' poster, we should be respecting each other.

let's accept that there will be both views, as well as those in between. in other words, a variety of opinions.

also, let's get rid of the insulting talk. saying that you are realistic, is insulting to those that disagree. saying that if someone disagrees with you, and they are delusional, is insulting.

maybe we can have the mods give out warnings to those that do this, and as well for name-calling.

i don't know, but it is sad, that we are one of the hottest teams right now, and we (the fans) are fighting amongst ourselves.

i am guilty of saying some things that weren't pleasant, and i apologize.

there are many things about this team that i don't like, but the one thing that i do like, is when they/we win.

Old
01-13-2014, 08:43 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Also, to clarify and add optimism, we are 7 points out of 8th AND 7th.
Better yet we are 8 points out of 2nd or 3rd in the division. That is 4 wins and 4 losses by the opposition.

Old
01-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Strome18

*** Updated Post #1 in this thread ***

This thing is getting very interesting. There are A LOT of team close together.

I mean 10 teams are within 8 points of each other for playoff positioning.

In the Division: 2nd to last is 8 points.
Wildcard: 7th to last is 7 points.
When I say last I mean the Islanders, since there are teams below us, phew.

Win and make it tougher on the rest of the group above.

No pressure just win baby!

Last edited by Strome18: 01-13-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old
01-13-2014, 08:46 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strome18 View Post
Better yet we are 8 points out of 2nd or 3rd in the division. That is 4 wins and 4 losses by the opposition.
I like it! AND we can handle HALF of that all by ourselves this weekend.

Old
01-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
I like it! AND we can handle HALF of that all by ourselves this weekend.
To be honest, to get in it will take 8 points because if we tie Detroit or Filthy, they would get in because their ROW would be higher. Now if the Isles win 6 more games in reg/ot and the RAG$ do the opposite, we will be tied with the highest team in ROW.

Old
01-13-2014, 08:57 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
To be honest, to get in it will take 8 points because if we tie Detroit or Filthy, they would get in because their ROW would be higher. Now if the Isles win 6 more games in reg/ot and the RAG$ do the opposite, we will be tied with the highest team in ROW.
Agreed. They DEFINITELY need to improve upon the ROW.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:04 PM
N Ireland Nets Fan

Quote:

4 wins and 6 other metro teams lose 4 times you mean.

The problem isn't just the number of points we are behind, it's the number of teams we need to bypass, therefore we need loads of teams to lose consistently and that's what makes it so difficult to get back into the playoff picture.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Spez

7 points in 35 doesn't seem like much but it's almost like climbing a mountain to make up ground when there is 6 teams in between you and a playoff spot. At this time of year there is also a lot of games between bubble teams so there is always that guarantee of someone getting 2 pts. Not to mention around this time is when 3 pt games seem to become more common. You guys do control your destiny by facing a lot of the teams on the bubble but I'm part of the group who think they will miss because of the hole they dug early. Not to mention it's pretty tough to beat the rangers 3 times and the flyers twice which are games you have to sweep to have any hope of a playoff berth.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Ireland Nets Fan View Post
4 wins and 6 other metro teams lose 4 times you mean.

The problem isn't just the number of points we are behind, it's the number of teams we need to bypass, therefore we need loads of teams to lose consistently and that's what makes it so difficult to get back into the playoff picture.
Correct but if we win, it eventually gets there

Old
01-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spez View Post
7 points in 35 doesn't seem like much but it's almost like climbing a mountain to make up ground when there is 6 teams in between you and a playoff spot. At this time of year there is also a lot of games between bubble teams so there is always that guarantee of someone getting 2 pts. Not to mention around this time is when 3 pt games seem to become more common. You guys do control your destiny by facing a lot of the teams on the bubble but I'm part of the group who think they will miss because of the hole they dug early. Not to mention it's pretty tough to beat the rangers 3 times and the flyers twice which are games you have to sweep to have any hope of a playoff berth.
The games against the Metro are the most important as long as they get 1 point in the game outside the division. Those games are 4 point swings.

I just want to watch the metro games, they are going to be blood baths.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spez View Post
While this is true, you have to remember they are within 8 points of 4 different spots. They aren't fighting for just one stop, that makes it infinitely easier. Like you said, thes teams are playing each other, so even if one wins, one also loses. Not saying its likely, just saying that if they play like they did last year, and win like they did last year, they really should make it.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
i can't speak for others, but i will say this.

whether you are a 'positive' poster, or a 'negative' poster, we should be respecting each other.

let's accept that there will be both views, as well as those in between. in other words, a variety of opinions.

also, let's get rid of the insulting talk. saying that you are realistic, is insulting to those that disagree. saying that if someone disagrees with you, and they are delusional, is insulting.

maybe we can have the mods give out warnings to those that do this, and as well for name-calling.

i don't know, but it is sad, that we are one of the hottest teams right now, and we (the fans) are fighting amongst ourselves.

i am guilty of saying some things that weren't pleasant, and i apologize.

there are many things about this team that i don't like, but the one thing that i do like, is when they/we win.
Very true! But it would appear there are people who are constant doubters and if this team went 82-0 and won the Cup would still complain. Its like there is no pleasing them no matter what the Isles do. I have no issue with opinions but constant complaining sucks.

01-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Very true! But it would appear there are people who are constant doubters and if this team went 82-0 and won the Cup would still complain. Its like there is no pleasing them no matter what the Isles do. I have no issue with opinions but constant complaining sucks.
Agreed with the full statement!

Old
01-13-2014, 10:29 PM
13th Floor

For some perspective: On Jan 1 of this year, the Blue Jackets were 6 points out of the playoffs (1 game in hand) and in 7th in the Metro. They've won 4 in a row (so have we) and jumped two teams tonight to 5th, and are now 2 points out. That happened in 13 days. A couple more wins for them and they are on the inside looking out. There's 35 games left. A lot of teams are bunched up and we need to be a part of that once the break comes, where teams are changing from 7th to 12th any given night. We are about 5 points off of that.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Jester9881

One thing is for sure, the games Vs teams ahead in the standings, the 4 point games.... they absolutely have to win those or it gets infinitely harder. It's a tough nut to crack, but if they stay hot.... because of the teams we play over the next couple weeks, we could be right back in the thick of it by February 1st.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:33 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
It seems somewhat overbearing if you are going to start demanding people wear a smiley face watching this year. The owner sucks, the coaching staff sucks, the standings suck, the slump sucked, Vis' injury sucks but deHaans emergence is awesome, Kyle's solid year so far is awesome, Vanek's quickly evolving chemistry with the other two is beautiful to watch, Tavares threatening stat leaders despite a horrendous fall is great...

Let people have their opinions. As the club improves so too will the mood. I don't get why this bothers anyone.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Strome18

Mods, if you all agree, create a complainers sticky. This way the complainers can go ahead complain about everything under sun. I think this solves both parties with a place to chat freely.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:57 PM
hockeygoon15

I haven't read all the posts in this thread so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, but with so many teams fighting for the last few playoff spots, it makes it really tough to advance.

On December 19th, we were 11 points out. Since then, we've gone 9-3-0 and we're now 7 points out. It's not like we have to play better hockey than one or two teams. There are currently 11 teams in the 41-51 point range, and only four of them are getting in. We're sitting at 43, second to last among those 11 teams.

It's going to be a hell of a run if we get there. Playing more games against those we're fighting with will help, but I just cant get over how playing 9-3-0 hockey only advances us 4 points. You would really think that we'd have moved up more than that.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:04 AM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Mods, if you all agree, create a complainers sticky. This way the complainers can go ahead complain about everything under sun. I think this solves both parties with a place to chat freely.
Hahaha we've had "The world is coming to an end" type threads bumped before; those are always a great read.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:07 AM
19inarow

Lots of games of interest for Tuesday -- First and foremost of course is the Isles win, but having boston, TB, San Jose,Buffalo, Montreal and Minn. all win in regulation would be beneficial! Not asking for much am I?

Old
01-14-2014, 01:04 AM
Sheva7
Work Hahd Play Smaht

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
I was asked by a poster to give my logic as to why I thought Garth should be accountable if Vanek walks and we get nothing for him and to not give generalizations or feelings about it, so I started drawing on 50 plus years to give examples in both hockey and other sports as to why you shouldn't let assets walk and I'm called a person without balls directly by a poster.

I want the Vanek trade to work out and for us to start winning playoff series and hopefully a Cup or two, but because I want Garth to be accountable if it doesn't work out it makes me a villain or a disloyal Islanders fan?
Yea, that was me with the 'no balls' comment. Poor choice of words maybe on my part.
Anyways, you're perceived as a 'hater' because the real fans who truly believe in this group were happy our GM manned up and made the team better.
While we were excited about the trade, you were posting 50 million paragraph lessons on how assets should be managed, using out-dated examples, going on and on about how Snow is doing it all wrong and how he should be fired if the assets turn to nothing, blah blah blah.
I didn't find anything in your posts to be relevant at all. They didn't consider the following:
- the times. This isn't 1990. Do you not know how difficult it is to add an impact player in a league where all the best players are locked up long term? You mentioned a few star players who were recently traded, but only a few were in their prime at the time they were dealt. The kessels, seguins and Neals weren't very accomplished so those deals don't fall into that category.
- are you not aware of how difficult it has been for the Isles to attract a decent player recently? Getting Nabby and Vis to suit up for us was like pulling teeth.
- how young a team we are and how many quality prospect/young players there are in the system. Is one less first round prospect gonna hurt us that bad?

So I'll stick by what I said. I'm glad our GM had the stones to make a bold move.
Even if the trade goes completely to ****, firing Snow would be a huge mistake IMO. He's done too much good to have something like that be the deciding factor. It would be incredibly harsh if you ask me.

The team he's built is SO YOUNG and is on the verge of being great... even without Vanek, even without the picks.

Last edited by Sheva7: 01-14-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old
01-14-2014, 01:22 AM
Jester9881

I don't think it's so much the complaining, as much as it is that a lot of it is irrational.

We've got posters here that will go on a tangent about how Snow sucks because all we get is guys like Rob Schremp. Then, he will make a trade for Vanek and they complain about that.

You've got posters here that complain about how we ruined Nino by having him play in the NHL too early, and Snow sucks because he should have sent him down.

Then, no joke because this is not funny at all..... when Nino is sent down, those same posters go off on Snow because he isn't bringing him up!

Complain if we make a trade, complain if we don't. Then complain if we don't sign the guy we traded for..... but if we do, complain about that too.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... but man, it gets old after awhile.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:48 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
Yea, that was me with the 'no balls' comment. Poor choice of words maybe on my part.
Anyways, you're perceived as a 'hater' because the real fans who truly believe in this group were happy our GM manned up and made the team better.
While we were excited about the trade, you were posting 50 million paragraph lessons on how assets should be managed, using out-dated examples, going on and on about how Snow is doing it all wrong and how he should be fired if the assets turn to nothing, blah blah blah.
I didn't find anything in your posts to be relevant at all. They didn't consider the following:
- the times. This isn't 1990. Do you not know how difficult it is to add an impact player in a league where all the best players are locked up long term? You mentioned a few star players who were recently traded, but only a few were in their prime at the time they were dealt. The kessels, seguins and Neals weren't very accomplished so those deals don't fall into that category.
- are you not aware of how difficult it has been for the Isles to attract a decent player recently? Getting Nabby and Vis to suit up for us was like pulling teeth.
- how young a team we are and how many quality prospect/young players there are in the system. Is one less first round prospect gonna hurt us that bad?

So I'll stick by what I said. I'm glad our GM had the stones to make a bold move.
Even if the trade goes completely to ****, firing Snow would be a huge mistake IMO. He's done too much good to have something like that be the deciding factor. It would be incredibly harsh if you ask me.

The team he's built is SO YOUNG and is on the verge of being great... even without Vanek, even without the picks.
I consider myself a real fan. I've stayed with the team through their entire history despite 20 years without winning a playoff series. Perhaps I'm confused as to what a real fan is. Thank you for your tolerance of my opinion.

Closed Thread