HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question for my Canadian brothers

Old
01-25-2007, 03:49 PM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Question for my Canadian brothers

Hey, I just wanted to get you guys opinion of how that girl did on your national anthem? Personally I thought she butchered it. And I think she was switching from English to French and then back to English in the middle of the song. Am I right or was I hearing things. Anyways I thought the whole thing in Dallas was a joke. They should NEVER have the all star game in any place other than Philly, Detroit, Boston, Buffalo, NY (Rangers, not Islanders), maybe StL, or any of the Canadian cities again. The fan support was a joke. They weren't real fans, they were more like people out for a stroll who came wandering in off the street for a beer and a hotdog. In all honesty though I'd love to have the game back here in Philly NOTHING beats the crazy support you see from the game being hosted in Canada. THAT's the way it's suppose to be, not this crap we saw last night in Dallas.

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 04:08 PM
FlyersFanJS

i'm not canadian, but i will say that she did switch from english to french (i've seen that quite a few times before though), but i agree that she butchered your anthem. I thought it was attrocious.

by the way, O Canada is by far one of the coolest national anthems in the world

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 04:15 PM
donelikedinner

it was butchered. the real joke is that the english+french version is usually only sung in Canada, and not all cities do it

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Guy Germaine

it wasn't great, but I'm no fan of opera...she could definetly sing, and her body was slammin', those hips did not lie!

and yes she was singing in french as well because that's the way it's supposed to be sung, in both official languages(canada is a bilingual country- french and english).

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Not a fan of her changing the melody so much. Too much fancy crap. Just sing the damn song.

Nice wipe-out at the end too.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 04:27 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
it wasn't great, but I'm no fan of opera...she could definetly sing, and her body was slammin', those hips did not lie!

and yes she was singing in french as well because that's the way it's supposed to be sung, in both official languages(canada is a bilingual country- french and english).
you don't mean that. She sang horrible and I spent most of the song adjusting my screen setting on my TV because I couldn't believe that her hips were that wide.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:02 PM
GirouxisCannon

i am canadien and i don't give a **** how it is sung,i know there are alot of canadiens who speak french so it is sung like that for them,as for being sung like that at the all-star game? who cares??? it just a ****in all-star game.

we don't ***** and moan when someone sings the spangled banner for 20 ****in mins.

the all-star game in only the cities you've said-stupidest idea ever

GirouxisCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:19 PM
rockit

she was brutal.

as far as the anthem goes, nothing will ever beat the fans of Edmonton in the Stanley Cup finals. that was the best singing of the anthem i've ever heard.

rockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 05:27 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
i dont know whats weird about the bilingual version. its what youll see most of the time, at least where i am.

but she was horrible, she couldnt pronouce the english words or the french words.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
i dont know whats weird about the bilingual version. its what youll see most of the time, at least where i am.

but she was horrible, she couldnt pronouce the english words or the french words.
Hey now, English is a pretty demanding language. . .it takes years to master it!

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 07:35 PM
HABkings

It was really horrible.I was so glad when the other two cute girls came out to sing the american anthem. It releaved the strain on my ears after that brutal canadien anthem preformance

HABkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Stojanov*

definitely an awful version.

Stojanov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:02 AM
Devonator

Born and raised in Canada and I really can't stand our anthem...I think it is turgid and lame.....not bad lyrics though...
I really like America's different anthems..Star Spangled though hard to sing and America the Beautiful.....especially done by Ray Charles...

And I love England's God Save the Queen and Germany's also...

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:46 AM
phlocky

As a Flyers fan you have to love Kate Smith singing "God Bless America"

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 12:34 PM
QcS

i don't care about national anthems sung at sports' competitions.. so i don't really care how it's sung.

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
I thought that both anthems were badly sung, but especially the Canadian. I could barely listen.

As for the support of the fans, I'm not sure if they didn't put the audio to it, but when the players were being introduced it seemed awfully quiet. I know it wasn't their hometown players, but these are the "stars" of the league that anyone should get excited to see. But again, could've just been the audio.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Marc-E-

I think we should ban national anthem. I think, with a sport with a lot of Europeans players, the anthem isn't representative of the real portrait of the NHL. I don't want creating a polemic, but I feel in that way about national anthem. When the national anthem was boo 3 years ago in Montreal, it was a reaction against Bush politics. Politic and sports aren't compatible IMO. I know it's a tradition, but it changed a lot over the years. I don't know. I don't want being bash by anyone, but it's just an observation and an opinion.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote