HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2014, 09:40 AM
  #501
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,613
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
My only worry (well not only) is that, as someone else mentioned, we happen to get Ekblad (my top choice) is that the "braintrust" feel a need to have both he AND Nurse in the lineup next year, along with Marincin and Klefbom.

Some variation of:

Marincin - Petry
Klefbom - Schultz
Ekblad - Nurse

could be pretty good in a few years. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them insert 2 raw rookies in to the lineup trying to sell even more hope to the fans - but that d corps would get lit up like a Christmas tree - even more than this year's version.

Maybe one of Nurse, Klefbom, or Ekblad (if we get him) - but you can't have 2, especially if you assume that Marincin will be there too.
Yeah that's a concern, but I can't see this management assuming kids can handle all that work. Honestly though, I don't see it. I could see their being space for all 3, Nurse, Ekblad and Marincin (If they Earn their spot), but that only works if you bring in another top-4 defenseman and an Andy Sutton type bottom-pair veteran to protect the kids both defensively and physically.

Again not ideal, but you'll have a hard time tell me honestly that Nurse wouldn't be an upgrade on the junk back there right now. Not saying he "should" be there, just the state of the defense.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 09:50 AM
  #502
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Again not ideal, but you'll have a hard time tell me honestly that Nurse wouldn't be an upgrade on the junk back there right now. Not saying he "should" be there, just the state of the defense.
Oh I agree - Nurse, and likely Ekblad if we were to get him, could on merit make this team, but that's more of an indictment on the makeup of the team and an endorsement to put too many kids on your blue line.

And I agree with you - MacT's #1 order of business needs to be acquiring a legit top pairing Dman that these kids can learn from. And I'm not talking a Ference level guy. Doesn't need to be Norris caliber guys like Weber, Chara or whatever - but someone like Seabrook, Boyle, Letang - just a real top pairing guy. Will likely be hard to get, but that's what good GMs do. Doesn't even need to be a great offensive contributor - just someone with poise who can get the puck up to the forwards, and help shelter someone like J Schultz or whomever.

Hoogaar23 is online now  
Old
01-14-2014, 09:51 AM
  #503
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
I'll be cheesed if we're not attempting for Buff, we got redundancy that Winni could use but we're stuck in "but but we're in love our tiny scorers".

armandh01 is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 09:51 AM
  #504
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They will likely keep both in junior, save a year on their elc's and tank for McDavid next year.
And somehow pressure the Greyhounds and Colts to trade them to Erie, so they can play on the top pair together on a team with McDavid.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 10:06 AM
  #505
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 658
vCash: 50
I can pretty much guarantee if we are picking Connor Mcdavid at the 2015 draft, Hall will have asked for a trade by then. The only way I see that not happening is if he got injured during the season and he wasn't part of the loosing that year.

Hall has sustained way too much loosing for a guy as competitive as he is. You can already tell it is wearing him down.

djdub is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 10:20 AM
  #506
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the only way you can justify having 2 rookie defenceman on the roster is by having a bonafide #1 Dman ala Shea WEber, Chara, Suter, Doughty that can eat up 30mins a game. then you only have to worry about the other 90Min dman time with the other 5. assume you have ference to eat 20, schultz eating 25 you have 45 mins to split between the other 3 d limiting them to 15min a game each.
Exactly.
It could work if there's a strong supporting cast, but when the safety nets are Petry and Ference, that's a recipe for disaster.
If they get Ekblad, i'd be shocked if we don't see at least 3 rookies on the blueline to start the season.

CupofOil is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 10:24 AM
  #507
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
If we end up drafting Ekblad my guess is Ekblad, Nurse and Klefbom will end up battling it out for one NHL spot. Unless they completely tear it up the others(or all three) will be sent to the AHL/CHL. Marincin will probably be in the NHL and hopefully we sign one or two of the better UFAs in the summer.

OiledUp is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 10:32 AM
  #508
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
I can pretty much guarantee if we are picking Connor Mcdavid at the 2015 draft, Hall will have asked for a trade by then. The only way I see that not happening is if he got injured during the season and he wasn't part of the loosing that year.

Hall has sustained way too much loosing for a guy as competitive as he is. You can already tell it is wearing him down.
I worry about this as well, and not just with him.

This team needs to start winning as soon as possible, eventually guys like Hall won't be able to take it anymore.

Powder is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 10:41 AM
  #509
Quinteoilers
Registered User
 
Quinteoilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Going to watch Belleville Bulls and Ottawa 67's on the weekend. The 67's have this massive winger Tyler Hill 6'6" 230lbs. He was passed over in last years draft.

Quinteoilers is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 11:01 AM
  #510
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,553
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
If we end up drafting Ekblad my guess is Ekblad, Nurse and Klefbom will end up battling it out for one NHL spot. Unless they completely tear it up the others(or all three) will be sent to the AHL/CHL. Marincin will probably be in the NHL and hopefully we sign one or two of the better UFAs in the summer.
i would guess if we get ekblad then we will package one or both of Klefbom/Marincin for a legit player on defence.

CornKicker is online now  
Old
01-14-2014, 11:05 AM
  #511
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,613
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Oh I agree - Nurse, and likely Ekblad if we were to get him, could on merit make this team, but that's more of an indictment on the makeup of the team and an endorsement to put too many kids on your blue line.

And I agree with you - MacT's #1 order of business needs to be acquiring a legit top pairing Dman that these kids can learn from. And I'm not talking a Ference level guy. Doesn't need to be Norris caliber guys like Weber, Chara or whatever - but someone like Seabrook, Boyle, Letang - just a real top pairing guy. Will likely be hard to get, but that's what good GMs do. Doesn't even need to be a great offensive contributor - just someone with poise who can get the puck up to the forwards, and help shelter someone like J Schultz or whomever.
You throw money at Andrei Markov and Dan Girardi, add them to what the Oilers have on the Blueline now and going forward, it gets alot better quickly.

I wonder if you could do $6.5M for 2 to 3 for Markov and $5.25M for 6 with Girardi?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 11:24 AM
  #512
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinteoilers View Post
Going to watch Belleville Bulls and Ottawa 67's on the weekend. The 67's have this massive winger Tyler Hill 6'6" 230lbs. He was passed over in last years draft.
Hunter Smith is another behemoth worth checking out in Oshawa.

He's 6'6'' 210lbs and has been pretty impressive.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 11:26 AM
  #513
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,027
vCash: 500
Just saw the interview with Ekblad on the Oilers site, holy **** he looks several years older than most of our non veteran players. He also talks with less derp than a few of our younger guys.

armandh01 is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 11:33 AM
  #514
nando2392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Just going off by what i've read unfortunately but man, does he seem intriguing like a more offensive Lazar. I think we need more abrasive forwards desperately even if he is a bit undersized.
It's a shame that he won't be in the Prospects Game, he was the main prospect that i wanted to keep an eye on.

I like Reinhart but he seems a little too calm for my liking, really like his overall game though. Haven't seen much of Draisatl but we could sure use a center of that size who is strong on the puck.
In all honesty, they all fill needs (Ekblad moreso than any of them).
I think both Ekblad and Draisaitl are needed, get the rebuilt over with this year. trade Gagner + Musil + Simpson for the 4rth overall and hope to get the 1st overall pick or the second and hope that the first picks Sam Reinhart or Bennet

nando2392 is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 11:34 AM
  #515
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,553
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
I think both Ekblad and Draisaitl are needed, get the rebuilt over with this year. trade Gagner + Musil + Simpson for the 4rth overall and hope to get the 1st overall pick or the second and hope that the first picks Sam Reinhart or Bennet
i doubt calgary/florida/anyone takes that dump of crap for the 4th overall

CornKicker is online now  
Old
01-14-2014, 11:35 AM
  #516
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,979
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
You throw money at Andrei Markov and Dan Girardi, add them to what the Oilers have on the Blueline now and going forward, it gets alot better quickly.

I wonder if you could do $6.5M for 2 to 3 for Markov and $5.25M for 6 with Girardi?
I agree. That's a legit top pairing. Then Petry and Ference can play as the 2nd pairing like they belong, and then let Ekblad (fingers crossed), Nurse, Klefa, and Marincin battle it out for a spot with Schultz on the bottom pairing. Suddenly our defense is actually NHL calibre

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 12:10 PM
  #517
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,957
vCash: 500
Re Bennett and Dal Colle, my understanding is that they're wingers, and that's probably the only reason there hasn't been more hype for them on this board.

I've seen a few people on the Prospects board mention they think Dal Colle should be #1.

For the Oilers, it's obviously Ekblad, then presumably a center, which is why there's the focus on Reinhart and Draisatl.

As they're both WHL guys, they'll be even more focus from the Oilers on them. If only one or both of them could get traded to the Oil Kings.

dustrock is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 12:17 PM
  #518
RisingSun
Registered Potato
 
RisingSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Just saw the interview with Ekblad on the Oilers site, holy **** he looks several years older than most of our non veteran players. He also talks with less derp than a few of our younger guys.
Im pretty sure Ekblad's like 28 years old. I'd like to see his birth certificate.

We'll call it the Bladgate Scandal.

RisingSun is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 12:21 PM
  #519
Lacaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Re Bennett and Dal Colle, my understanding is that they're wingers, and that's probably the only reason there hasn't been more hype for them on this board.

I've seen a few people on the Prospects board mention they think Dal Colle should be #1.

For the Oilers, it's obviously Ekblad, then presumably a center, which is why there's the focus on Reinhart and Draisatl.

As they're both WHL guys, they'll be even more focus from the Oilers on them. If only one or both of them could get traded to the Oil Kings.
I'm so confused I don't know what position Bennet, Draisatl, Bennett play.

From what I've read Draisatl plays center but may be better suited for the wing in NHL?

Bennet Plays center or wing? who knows where the hell he'll end up in NHL.

Dal Colle plays wing and may be able to transfer to Center in the NHL?


I say pick Ekblad.. I'm pretty sure he'll play defence with a slight chance he turns into a goalie.

Lacaar is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 12:28 PM
  #520
nally
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I worry about this as well, and not just with him.

This team needs to start winning as soon as possible, eventually guys like Hall won't be able to take it anymore.
Sucks making $6 million a year playing hockey

nally is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 12:32 PM
  #521
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nally View Post
Sucks making $6 million a year playing hockey
Yeah cause I'm sure that's the only reason he's in the league.

Powder is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 01:20 PM
  #522
LTIR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,350
vCash: 638
29GP - 97G - 95A - 192pts ...

I vote for German Gretzky..

Sure beats the stats R.Smyth put up for Banff Blazers
25GP - 100G - 50A - 15pts.

LTIR is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
  #523
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
I can pretty much guarantee if we are picking Connor Mcdavid at the 2015 draft, Hall will have asked for a trade by then. The only way I see that not happening is if he got injured during the season and he wasn't part of the loosing that year.

Hall has sustained way too much loosing for a guy as competitive as he is. You can already tell it is wearing him down.
Losing. It's spelled "losing."

Jesus.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
01-14-2014, 01:26 PM
  #524
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Losing. It's spelled "losing."

Jesus.
Don't loose you're mind. He could of just mad a typo.

Hoogaar23 is online now  
Old
01-14-2014, 01:27 PM
  #525
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
29GP - 97G - 95A - 192pts ...

I vote for German Gretzky..

Sure beats the stats R.Smyth put up for Banff Blazers
25GP - 100G - 50A - 15pts.
I wouldn't mind Leon the Professional on the team.

dnicks17 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.