HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
My only worry (well not only) is that, as someone else mentioned, we happen to get Ekblad (my top choice) is that the "braintrust" feel a need to have both he AND Nurse in the lineup next year, along with Marincin and Klefbom.

Some variation of:

Marincin - Petry
Klefbom - Schultz
Ekblad - Nurse

could be pretty good in a few years. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them insert 2 raw rookies in to the lineup trying to sell even more hope to the fans - but that d corps would get lit up like a Christmas tree - even more than this year's version.

Maybe one of Nurse, Klefbom, or Ekblad (if we get him) - but you can't have 2, especially if you assume that Marincin will be there too.
Yeah that's a concern, but I can't see this management assuming kids can handle all that work. Honestly though, I don't see it. I could see their being space for all 3, Nurse, Ekblad and Marincin (If they Earn their spot), but that only works if you bring in another top-4 defenseman and an Andy Sutton type bottom-pair veteran to protect the kids both defensively and physically.

Again not ideal, but you'll have a hard time tell me honestly that Nurse wouldn't be an upgrade on the junk back there right now. Not saying he "should" be there, just the state of the defense.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Again not ideal, but you'll have a hard time tell me honestly that Nurse wouldn't be an upgrade on the junk back there right now. Not saying he "should" be there, just the state of the defense.
Oh I agree - Nurse, and likely Ekblad if we were to get him, could on merit make this team, but that's more of an indictment on the makeup of the team and an endorsement to put too many kids on your blue line.

And I agree with you - MacT's #1 order of business needs to be acquiring a legit top pairing Dman that these kids can learn from. And I'm not talking a Ference level guy. Doesn't need to be Norris caliber guys like Weber, Chara or whatever - but someone like Seabrook, Boyle, Letang - just a real top pairing guy. Will likely be hard to get, but that's what good GMs do. Doesn't even need to be a great offensive contributor - just someone with poise who can get the puck up to the forwards, and help shelter someone like J Schultz or whomever.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:51 AM
armandh01

I'll be cheesed if we're not attempting for Buff, we got redundancy that Winni could use but we're stuck in "but but we're in love our tiny scorers".

Old
01-14-2014, 09:51 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They will likely keep both in junior, save a year on their elc's and tank for McDavid next year.
And somehow pressure the Greyhounds and Colts to trade them to Erie, so they can play on the top pair together on a team with McDavid.

Old
01-14-2014, 10:06 AM
djdub
#6cups

vCash: 50
I can pretty much guarantee if we are picking Connor Mcdavid at the 2015 draft, Hall will have asked for a trade by then. The only way I see that not happening is if he got injured during the season and he wasn't part of the loosing that year.

Hall has sustained way too much loosing for a guy as competitive as he is. You can already tell it is wearing him down.

Old
01-14-2014, 10:20 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the only way you can justify having 2 rookie defenceman on the roster is by having a bonafide #1 Dman ala Shea WEber, Chara, Suter, Doughty that can eat up 30mins a game. then you only have to worry about the other 90Min dman time with the other 5. assume you have ference to eat 20, schultz eating 25 you have 45 mins to split between the other 3 d limiting them to 15min a game each.
Exactly.
It could work if there's a strong supporting cast, but when the safety nets are Petry and Ference, that's a recipe for disaster.
If they get Ekblad, i'd be shocked if we don't see at least 3 rookies on the blueline to start the season.

Old
01-14-2014, 10:24 AM
OiledUp

If we end up drafting Ekblad my guess is Ekblad, Nurse and Klefbom will end up battling it out for one NHL spot. Unless they completely tear it up the others(or all three) will be sent to the AHL/CHL. Marincin will probably be in the NHL and hopefully we sign one or two of the better UFAs in the summer.

Old
01-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
I can pretty much guarantee if we are picking Connor Mcdavid at the 2015 draft, Hall will have asked for a trade by then. The only way I see that not happening is if he got injured during the season and he wasn't part of the loosing that year.

Hall has sustained way too much loosing for a guy as competitive as he is. You can already tell it is wearing him down.
I worry about this as well, and not just with him.

This team needs to start winning as soon as possible, eventually guys like Hall won't be able to take it anymore.

Old
01-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Quinteoilers

Going to watch Belleville Bulls and Ottawa 67's on the weekend. The 67's have this massive winger Tyler Hill 6'6" 230lbs. He was passed over in last years draft.

Old
01-14-2014, 11:01 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
If we end up drafting Ekblad my guess is Ekblad, Nurse and Klefbom will end up battling it out for one NHL spot. Unless they completely tear it up the others(or all three) will be sent to the AHL/CHL. Marincin will probably be in the NHL and hopefully we sign one or two of the better UFAs in the summer.
i would guess if we get ekblad then we will package one or both of Klefbom/Marincin for a legit player on defence.

Old
01-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Oh I agree - Nurse, and likely Ekblad if we were to get him, could on merit make this team, but that's more of an indictment on the makeup of the team and an endorsement to put too many kids on your blue line.

And I agree with you - MacT's #1 order of business needs to be acquiring a legit top pairing Dman that these kids can learn from. And I'm not talking a Ference level guy. Doesn't need to be Norris caliber guys like Weber, Chara or whatever - but someone like Seabrook, Boyle, Letang - just a real top pairing guy. Will likely be hard to get, but that's what good GMs do. Doesn't even need to be a great offensive contributor - just someone with poise who can get the puck up to the forwards, and help shelter someone like J Schultz or whomever.
You throw money at Andrei Markov and Dan Girardi, add them to what the Oilers have on the Blueline now and going forward, it gets alot better quickly.

I wonder if you could do $6.5M for 2 to 3 for Markov and $5.25M for 6 with Girardi?

Old
01-14-2014, 11:24 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinteoilers View Post
Going to watch Belleville Bulls and Ottawa 67's on the weekend. The 67's have this massive winger Tyler Hill 6'6" 230lbs. He was passed over in last years draft.
Hunter Smith is another behemoth worth checking out in Oshawa.

He's 6'6'' 210lbs and has been pretty impressive.

Old
01-14-2014, 11:26 AM
armandh01

Just saw the interview with Ekblad on the Oilers site, holy **** he looks several years older than most of our non veteran players. He also talks with less derp than a few of our younger guys.

Old
01-14-2014, 11:33 AM
nando2392

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Just going off by what i've read unfortunately but man, does he seem intriguing like a more offensive Lazar. I think we need more abrasive forwards desperately even if he is a bit undersized.
It's a shame that he won't be in the Prospects Game, he was the main prospect that i wanted to keep an eye on.

I like Reinhart but he seems a little too calm for my liking, really like his overall game though. Haven't seen much of Draisatl but we could sure use a center of that size who is strong on the puck.
In all honesty, they all fill needs (Ekblad moreso than any of them).
I think both Ekblad and Draisaitl are needed, get the rebuilt over with this year. trade Gagner + Musil + Simpson for the 4rth overall and hope to get the 1st overall pick or the second and hope that the first picks Sam Reinhart or Bennet

Old
01-14-2014, 11:34 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando2392 View Post
I think both Ekblad and Draisaitl are needed, get the rebuilt over with this year. trade Gagner + Musil + Simpson for the 4rth overall and hope to get the 1st overall pick or the second and hope that the first picks Sam Reinhart or Bennet
i doubt calgary/florida/anyone takes that dump of crap for the 4th overall

Old
01-14-2014, 11:35 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
You throw money at Andrei Markov and Dan Girardi, add them to what the Oilers have on the Blueline now and going forward, it gets alot better quickly.

I wonder if you could do $6.5M for 2 to 3 for Markov and $5.25M for 6 with Girardi?
I agree. That's a legit top pairing. Then Petry and Ference can play as the 2nd pairing like they belong, and then let Ekblad (fingers crossed), Nurse, Klefa, and Marincin battle it out for a spot with Schultz on the bottom pairing. Suddenly our defense is actually NHL calibre

01-14-2014, 12:10 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Re Bennett and Dal Colle, my understanding is that they're wingers, and that's probably the only reason there hasn't been more hype for them on this board.

I've seen a few people on the Prospects board mention they think Dal Colle should be #1.

For the Oilers, it's obviously Ekblad, then presumably a center, which is why there's the focus on Reinhart and Draisatl.

As they're both WHL guys, they'll be even more focus from the Oilers on them. If only one or both of them could get traded to the Oil Kings.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:17 PM
RisingSun
Registered Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Just saw the interview with Ekblad on the Oilers site, holy **** he looks several years older than most of our non veteran players. He also talks with less derp than a few of our younger guys.
Im pretty sure Ekblad's like 28 years old. I'd like to see his birth certificate.

We'll call it the Bladgate Scandal.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Re Bennett and Dal Colle, my understanding is that they're wingers, and that's probably the only reason there hasn't been more hype for them on this board.

I've seen a few people on the Prospects board mention they think Dal Colle should be #1.

For the Oilers, it's obviously Ekblad, then presumably a center, which is why there's the focus on Reinhart and Draisatl.

As they're both WHL guys, they'll be even more focus from the Oilers on them. If only one or both of them could get traded to the Oil Kings.
I'm so confused I don't know what position Bennet, Draisatl, Bennett play.

From what I've read Draisatl plays center but may be better suited for the wing in NHL?

Bennet Plays center or wing? who knows where the hell he'll end up in NHL.

Dal Colle plays wing and may be able to transfer to Center in the NHL?

I say pick Ekblad.. I'm pretty sure he'll play defence with a slight chance he turns into a goalie.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:28 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I worry about this as well, and not just with him.

This team needs to start winning as soon as possible, eventually guys like Hall won't be able to take it anymore.
Sucks making $6 million a year playing hockey

Old
01-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nally View Post
Sucks making $6 million a year playing hockey
Yeah cause I'm sure that's the only reason he's in the league.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:20 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
29GP - 97G - 95A - 192pts ...

I vote for German Gretzky..

Sure beats the stats R.Smyth put up for Banff Blazers
25GP - 100G - 50A - 15pts.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post

Losing. It's spelled "losing."

Jesus.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Losing. It's spelled "losing."

Jesus.
Don't loose you're mind. He could of just mad a typo.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:27 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
29GP - 97G - 95A - 192pts ...

I vote for German Gretzky..

Sure beats the stats R.Smyth put up for Banff Blazers
25GP - 100G - 50A - 15pts.
I wouldn't mind Leon the Professional on the team.

Closed Thread