HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Introducing your 2014-15 Flyers - armchair edition.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:05 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Ekblad is not worth selling the farm for.
Better than continuing the trend of mediocrity. Im not suggesting selling the farm to get Ekblad. Maybe the Schenns + our 1st gets it done, which I'm totally fine with if we're getting a guy who has franchise defenseman potential.

xxxx - Giroux - Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Hartnell-Lecavalier-xxxx
Raffl-Laughton-Rinaldo

Coburn-Ekblad
Streit-Grossmann
xxxx-Gus/Ghost/Hagg/Morin/Alt

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 06:09 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If I'm in charge of this team, I'm doing whatever is necessary to get Ekblad at the draft, and I go from there. Only assets I wouldn't trade to make that a reality are Giroux & Mason.
I would do the same. But, the players I would be unwilling to trade would be Giroux, Mason, and Couts.

Then there are the players I would like to keep but, if a great deal comes around, I would be willing to move: B. Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek

I suggest trying to trade Vinny, Hartnell, and Downie for first round picks if possible. Then trade picks plus Coburn and maybe Simmonds for Ekblad. I am not sure what it would take to get the #2 pick but, this seems okay.

But it seems our team would be set for another mediocre season in 2014-2015 and that then begs the question, should we tank. With 2015 having such high end talent in the first 7-8 picks maybe we should take a page from the Sixers and try to get one of these franchise players.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Curufinwe

Sure, trade two guys with NMCs and an struggling, apparently injured UFA for three first round picks. Sounds plausible.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 06:19 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Sure, trade two guys with NMCs and an struggling, apparently injured UFA for three first round picks. Sounds plausible.
If the waive the NMC which I believe is very possible, if they are traded to a contender, they will absolutely have late first round value. And I can see your point about Downie though.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:40 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

It's okay guys.... I just made a call to the Jet's and made a trade, flame away:

2 Schenn's + Gill + Rosehill, last 2 for cap reasons

for

Bogo + Frolik

Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Michael Frolik ($2.333m) / Sean Couturier ($0.925m) / Steve Downie ($2.650m)
Adam Hall ($0.600m) / Chris VandeVelde ($0.550m) / Michael Raffl ($0.793m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Zach Bogosian ($5.143m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m) /

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
Ray Emery ($1.650m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2013-14 crunched using simulation date of 2014-01-14)
SALARY CAP: $64,117,073; BONUSES: $582,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $748,383

NEXT SEASON WILL LOOK LIKE:

Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Michael Frolik ($2.250m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($0.850m) / Adam Hall ($0.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Scott Laughton ($0.894m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Zach Bogosian ($5.143m)
Dan Girardi ($3.325m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.100m)
Mark Alt ($0.782m) /

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($3.750m)
Anton Khudobin ($1.100m)

------
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,818,690; BONUSES: $330,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,281,310

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:43 AM
LegionOfDoom91

I would shy away from Bogo. He just signed that deal & has 5 more years left on it & still hasn't showed enough offensively to be considered a two-way threat in this league yet.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I would shy away from Bogo. He just signed that deal & has 5 more years left on it & still hasn't showed enough offensively to be considered a two-way threat in this league yet.
Agree completely. I think he is one the of the overrated dmen in the league. I need someone more proven if we are trading away Schenn.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:48 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Agree completely. I think he is one the of the overrated dmen in the league. I need someone more proven if we are trading away Schenn.
His offensive production honestly looks like Coburn's right now, had one good offensive season early in his career then regressed/stagnated ever since.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:51 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I am just thinking of possible dance, er, trade partners... there aren't many teams looking for a 2C at the moment who have a pot. #1 RHD man.... is there?

He does look like Coburn but where Coburn has TOPPED out I think Bogo can still add/go more....

I LOVE B Schenn btw and don't mind Luke at all. Just thinking a glaring need, which is on the back end with a RHS

Old
01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
dats81

Quote:
Better than continuing the trend of mediocrity. Im not suggesting selling the farm to get Ekblad. Maybe the Schenns + our 1st gets it done, which I'm totally fine with if we're getting a guy who has franchise defenseman potential.
I would definitely consider that.

But with the Flyers' record of developing their own #1 defensemen it may turn into a complete disaster a couple of years after the draft or whenever the player actually makes the NHL roster and does not immediately look like the second coming of Jesus and local media puts the spotlight on him.

A safer route would be to swap the two Schenns + for an established first pairing defenseman.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:08 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I would definitely consider that.

But with the Flyers' record of developing their own #1 defensemen it may turn into a complete disaster a couple of years after the draft or whenever the player actually makes the NHL roster and does not immediately look like the second coming of Jesus and local media puts the spotlight on him.

A safer route would be to swap the two Schenns + for an established first pairing defenseman.
I don't think you're able to get an established #1 defenseman in this day and age for anything less than absolutely gutting the team.

Teams don't trade those players unless there's an issue, or they're aging and those are 2 characteristics this team doesn't need. The reason we haven't developed a defenseman of that calibre is because we haven't put ourselves in the position to. Developing is a part of it, but the player himself is also an enormous part of it. You have to either have a high pick to grab that guy (a la Pietrangelo, Doughty, Suter etc) or get incredibly lucky later on in the draft (a la Keith, Weber etc.). And those downplaying the sheer luck aspect of that happening are being extremely shortsighted.

The reason id rather look to moving a package for a high pick to grab a guy like Ekblad is that I believe that to be the only way were getting a #1 defenseman. Also, it'd be beneficial to have that defenseman grow with our core of young players, especially the likes of Morin, Gostisbehere and Hagg.

It's about time we have a glut of high potential defenseman prospects. Teams who build their own success win cups.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
I don't think you're able to get an established #1 defenseman in this day and age for anything less than absolutely gutting the team.

Teams don't trade those players unless there's an issue, or they're aging and those are 2 characteristics this team doesn't need. The reason we haven't developed a defenseman of that calibre is because we haven't put ourselves in the position to. Developing is a part of it, but the player himself is also an enormous part of it. You have to either have a high pick to grab that guy (a la Pietrangelo, Doughty, Suter etc) or get incredibly lucky later on in the draft (a la Keith, Weber etc.). And those downplaying the sheer luck aspect of that happening are being extremely shortsighted.

The reason id rather look to moving a package for a high pick to grab a guy like Ekblad is that I believe that to be the only way were getting a #1 defenseman. Also, it'd be beneficial to have that defenseman grow with our core of young players, especially the likes of Morin, Gostisbehere and Hagg.

It's about time we have a glut of high potential defenseman prospects. Teams who build their own success win cups.
I do get that completely... I just think if they are going to move up next year may be a better time to do so due to there being ~5+ guys already who are being touted as top end D talent... like one of them is almost guaranteed to be available at ~10-12 next year, and will cost far less to move for.

Ekblad will cost the moon to move to #2 for (which is likely where you would have to have a decent chance of getting.)

I would rather just draft one of the highly rated wingers or a guy like Fleury/Honka/DeAngelo/McKeown this year, and keep building. (anyone else think they draft DeAngelo? South Philly guy? Guy could drive to the Flyers skate zone from his family home in 20mins! Though I have heard interviews with him and I am not sure I like his attitude at all... but he has so much talent.)

For example if they did that they could realistically have:

Morin, Hagg, Gostisbehere, Fleury/Honka/DeAngelo/McKeown and Andersson/Roy/Werenski/Pilon/Cernak/Spencer. (I think Kylington and Hanifin are long gone by the range they likely will pick in.)

I would actually love them to try and get 2 1st rounders for next year... it has the potential to be an insane draft. From catching some of Morins games and Q highlights guys like Roy, Meloche and Leveille look so good at a young age as well... they are looking as good as guys two years older. And that is just the Q.

Last edited by Appleyard: 01-14-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
It's okay guys.... I just made a call to the Jet's and made a trade, flame away:

2 Schenn's + Gill + Rosehill, last 2 for cap reasons

for

Bogo + Frolik

NEXT SEASON WILL LOOK LIKE:

Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Matt Moulson ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Michael Frolik ($2.250m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($0.850m) / Adam Hall ($0.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Scott Laughton ($0.894m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Zach Bogosian ($5.143m)
Dan Girardi ($3.325m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.100m)
Mark Alt ($0.782m) /

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($3.750m)
Anton Khudobin ($1.100m)

------
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,818,690; BONUSES: $330,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,281,310
You left Pronger off your roster - he needs to be on there at the end of the 2014 training camp, just like him and his $4.94m cap hit were on the Flyers submitted roster at the end of the 2013 camp.

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...-night-roster/

And Girardi will get at least $5m.

Last edited by Curufinwe: 01-14-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old
01-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Prongo
Beer

If we can get Dan Girardi at 5.25-5.75 per year, I would be all for it. Pair him with Streit or another offensive weapon and let them roam while he covers for their mistakes. Also, Girardi would give us the option of looking into the trade market for Coburn again.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Curufinwe

Even if it's 5.75m for 7 years?

Old
01-14-2014, 12:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I would say, getting Giradi and maybe pulling up Morin for the year would be fun.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Even if it's 5.75m for 7 years?
36/37 at the end of the contract and we have no clue where the cap will be at that point. I think I could manage. It's not the greatest, but it's the nature of the beast with free agency. I actually think he could get more than that, looking at you Edmonton.

Preferably I would want Girardi at 5.5 for 6 years, or around there.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Curufinwe

Girardi would be an upgrade I just don't want to go overboard when we already have older players like Hartnell, Streit and Vinny on the books for several more years.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:15 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Girardi would be an upgrade I just don't want to go overboard when we already have older players like Hartnell, Streit and Vinny on the books for several more years.
in 2 years we could buy them out? or how does that work after we used it?.... when can we use it again

Old
01-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Curufinwe

Regular buy outs are an option, but they are far from ideal.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
A guy I would be interested in going after (though I have no idea if they would be willing to deal) is Patric Hornqvist from Nashville. He's a pretty consistent player who plays well in both ends of the ice. Putting up 20-30 goals per year in Nashville is pretty solid given their defensive style and real lack of offensive talent. Again, I have no idea what the price tag would be on Hornqvist, but he's a guy I'd be looking at if I'm the Flyers. He was just signed to a pretty nice deal so IDK if the Preds are even willing to listen to offers on him, but I'd be in on him if there was any shot at his availability.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Am I the only one that thinks that Raffl will be re-signed, Downie will let go and that Laughton will make the team?

Vinny-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Laughton-Couts-Read
Raffl-Hall-Rinaldo

Old
01-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that Raffl will be re-signed, Downie will let go and that Laughton will make the team?

Vinny-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Laughton-Couts-Read
Raffl-Hall-Rinaldo
Vinny doesn't like playing the LW, he said it in interviews before. He is comfortable on the right wing and center IIRC.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Well, I'm more pointing out the jist of how our top 12 would look.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:37 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
A guy I would be interested in going after (though I have no idea if they would be willing to deal) is Patric Hornqvist from Nashville. He's a pretty consistent player who plays well in both ends of the ice. Putting up 20-30 goals per year in Nashville is pretty solid given their defensive style and real lack of offensive talent. Again, I have no idea what the price tag would be on Hornqvist, but he's a guy I'd be looking at if I'm the Flyers. He was just signed to a pretty nice deal so IDK if the Preds are even willing to listen to offers on him, but I'd be in on him if there was any shot at his availability.
I wouldn't mind adding him to our roster for the right price, but if we do I would think one of Vinny or Hartnell have to go in that trade or another

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote