HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Byfuglien to Caps

Old
01-14-2014, 08:41 AM
PucktotheHead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aela View Post
We have, as far as any of us fans know, never wanted to trade him.

So no I don't think Maurice really wants to change that. Especially with his performance at forward.
I have heard on Sirius NHL radio rumors of him being moved. And on Twitter for what that's worth. It's out there you just never know how serious any of that is.

If your in Winnipeg and don't see it then there must not be much to it. Thanks.

PucktotheHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:19 AM
OV Rocks

As much as I would love to have a huge body like Byfuglien in our lineup it is just unrealistic from the Caps perspective for many reasons.
1. The Caps just don't have enough shinny objects to offer the Jets to get him to leave
2. Oates has OCD about handiness and right now our team is loaded with righties
Ovechkin, Brouwer, Fehr, Ward, Wilson (all forward righties) Green, Carlson, Olesky (all defense righties)
3. Where does he play, offense or defense? As said we have plenty of right wingers and I don't think he is smart enough in his defensive zone to play with what he have on LD
4. If you do trade for him you have to trade for the position he will play and be 100% sure that is where he will play

So if RW move Fehr/Brouwer, Erskine, a prospect, and a 1st or 2nd, and even then I doubt that'll do it
If for RD move Fehr/Brouwer, Erat, Carrick or Bowey, and a 1st or 2nd, again I doubt this will happen

OV Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:56 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OV Rocks View Post
As much as I would love to have a huge body like Byfuglien in our lineup it is just unrealistic from the Caps perspective for many reasons.
1. The Caps just don't have enough shinny objects to offer the Jets to get him to leave
2. Oates has OCD about handiness and right now our team is loaded with righties
Ovechkin, Brouwer, Fehr, Ward, Wilson (all forward righties) Green, Carlson, Olesky (all defense righties)
3. Where does he play, offense or defense? As said we have plenty of right wingers and I don't think he is smart enough in his defensive zone to play with what he have on LD
4. If you do trade for him you have to trade for the position he will play and be 100% sure that is where he will play

So if RW move Fehr/Brouwer, Erskine, a prospect, and a 1st or 2nd, and even then I doubt that'll do it
If for RD move Fehr/Brouwer, Erat, Carrick or Bowey, and a 1st or 2nd, again I doubt this will happen
For what it's worth, we already had Fehr and he was NOT good in Winnipeg and wasn't there a rumor the JETS GM had talks with McPhee about Erat and Erat already stated he would not waive his NMC to go to Winnipeg?

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:01 AM
OV Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
For what it's worth, we already had Fehr and he was NOT good in Winnipeg and wasn't there a rumor the JETS GM had talks with McPhee about Erat and Erat already stated he would not waive his NMC to go to Winnipeg?
Thats why after each trade I said I doubt this will work. But the trades I proposed I think is about all the caps would be willing to move. That's why my entire post was about the unlikely hood of this ever happening

OV Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:05 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post
Bowey is not a cutesy nickname for Brouwer.

Madison Bowey was the caps second rounder this year. He's from Winnipeg and looks (haha) like he'll be a top four guy who skates really well with good puck handling abilities.
Thanks for the info! Not enough sleep and being on these boards too long make me think people give all the players cutesy names. I misread the flow of what you said. Makes much more sense now.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

As a defenseman, I have zero interest in Byfuglien. He doesn't provide anything we need on the blueline, as we already have offensive threats and excellent powerplay blueliners. If you think Orlov and Green play high risk games, wait to you watch Byfuglien.

As a power forward, I wouldn't complain about converting Brouwer in Byfuglien, but it's not a pressing need and wouldn't be worth the additional cap space or trade assets it would take.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:28 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
As a defenseman, I have zero interest in Byfuglien. He doesn't provide anything we need on the blueline, as we already have offensive threats and excellent powerplay blueliners. If you think Orlov and Green play high risk games, wait to you watch Byfuglien.

As a power forward, I wouldn't complain about converting Brouwer in Byfuglien, but it's not a pressing need and wouldn't be worth the additional cap space or trade assets it would take.
I agree with everything except for the bolded... I think it would be worth it. Especially considering the PP of

Buff
Nick-Wardo-Ovi
MoJo

is much better than

Carly
Nick-Troy-Ovi
MoJo

we have right now.

I think just having a guy whom the opposition would really respect as a blueline threat would make the Caps PP lethal.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:36 AM
txpd

q1: does that caps pp need to get better?
q2: he buff better enough to take pp time away from Carlson and/or Green if still there? remember that Orlov remains as well.

to me this is all unnecessary movement. the pp is as good as they get for two seasons now. the caps have issues, but that isn't one of them. what does buff bring that fills a caps need? I don't see it.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:46 AM
PucktotheHead

I'd sign the guy to have him parked in front of the net even strength, PP, short handed, pregame warms ups, post game interview......day off...

Old
01-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I think just having a guy whom the opposition would really respect as a blueline threat would make the Caps PP lethal.
You mean like Mike Green?
The Caps powerplay is the top unit in the league. Is it not already lethal?

Old
01-14-2014, 11:25 AM
trick9

vCash: 50
This makes no sense at all to Washington.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:27 AM
PucktotheHead

Quote:
Yes but not because of Mike Green. Come on man. Really. Are you his brother? OH WAIT!

THIS IS MIKE GREEN RIGHT???

Old
01-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Burakovsky95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PucktotheHead View Post
Yes but not because of Mike Green. Come on man. Really. Are you his brother? OH WAIT!

THIS IS MIKE GREEN RIGHT???
Mike Green is a huge part of it.... don't know how you don't see this...

Burakovsky95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 11:55 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Opposition doesn't really "respect" Greenie as a PP sniper. They often gave him all day to shoot and he's still hesitant. Buff would be throwing bombs.

Yes, it is top in the league, does it mean it can't be better?

Old
01-14-2014, 12:02 PM
ALee10

Quote:
Opposition doesn't really "respect" Greenie as a PP sniper. They often gave him all day to shoot and he's still hesitant. Buff would be throwing bombs.

Carlson is definitely not afraid to unload from the point. He's not the shooter that Byfuglien is but I'm not sure obtaining a PP shooter is a need when we have something like that already.

ALee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:15 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALee10 View Post
Carlson is definitely not afraid to unload from the point. He's not the shooter that Byfuglien is but I'm not sure obtaining a PP shooter is a need when we have something like that already.
Johnny isn't afraid to fire, but the defense isn't afraid when he's firing We need a guy who would fire and score, making life easier for Ovi and a guy in the slot (if Brouwer's gone, it's Fehr or Ward).

Collapsing seems to be working against Caps PP, we need to force them to spread, create room for shooters and score.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:16 PM
actionhank1786

Quote:
I'd sign the guy to have him parked in front of the net even strength, PP, short handed, pregame warms ups, post game interview......day off...
Scoring would be even easier for Ovechkin if all he had to do was shoot around the sides of Buff parked in front of the net. That accuracy and velocity firing from behind that wall...good lord.

That said, as a pretty ignorant observer (Really like Washington and Winnipeg, but don't catch as many of their games as i would like) i see Buff fitting well.
Maybe something like this? (Feel free to tell me if i'm under-valuing anyone)

Buff --> Washington
Erat, Neuvirth, and a 2nd round pick go back. Maybe some bottom six player?

Washington definitely wouldn't suffer from Buff at either wing or on D, and Winnipeg's biggest issue from my limited viewpoint seems to be goaltending, and a lack of a solid bottom 6 to compliment a pretty well rounded top 6 when they're all healthy. Maybe Erat finds his touch again, and the other big issues for Winnipeg seems to be in net. I don't know if Pavlec just has had his spirit crushed or what, but he's seemed to have a really rough few seasons.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:39 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank1786 View Post
Scoring would be even easier for Ovechkin if all he had to do was shoot around the sides of Buff parked in front of the net. That accuracy and velocity firing from behind that wall...good lord.

That said, as a pretty ignorant observer (Really like Washington and Winnipeg, but don't catch as many of their games as i would like) i see Buff fitting well.
Maybe something like this? (Feel free to tell me if i'm under-valuing anyone)

Buff --> Washington
Erat, Neuvirth, and a 2nd round pick go back. Maybe some bottom six player?

Washington definitely wouldn't suffer from Buff at either wing or on D, and Winnipeg's biggest issue from my limited viewpoint seems to be goaltending, and a lack of a solid bottom 6 to compliment a pretty well rounded top 6 when they're all healthy. Maybe Erat finds his touch again, and the other big issues for Winnipeg seems to be in net. I don't know if Pavlec just has had his spirit crushed or what, but he's seemed to have a really rough few seasons.
I think it's an underpayment. I think Buff and Stuart for Erat, Neuvirth, Bowey and first or second is ok.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:42 PM
PucktotheHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burakovsky95 View Post
Mike Green is a huge part of it.... don't know how you don't see this...
Because it's hard to see Green while he is sitting on the bench while the PP unit is on the ice.

Not so difficult. What are you watching?

Old
01-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
The Caps have a finite amount of cap space and movable trade assets. Rather than wasting both trying to make a moderate improvement to an area of strength on the team (the powerplay), they should be invested in attempting to correct the glaring issues instead. Namely, upgrading 2LD, 3RD, and potentially 3C.

Quote:
Collapsing seems to be working against Caps PP, we need to force them to spread, create room for shooters and score.
How is collapsing working? The Caps PP is tops in the league. Collapsing is exactly what the 1-3-1 is designed to force the PK to do. It's why there's a player who sits in the slot, to force the other team to collapse down to the slot. When the Caps PP is given time and space around the edge is when it's most effective at moving the puck and creating opportunities . When the opponent pressures is when the PK is most effective against the Caps.

Old
01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
PucktotheHead

Quote:
The Caps have a finite amount of cap space and movable trade assets. Rather than wasting both trying to make a moderate improvement to an area of strength on the team (the powerplay), they should be invested in attempting to correct the glaring issues instead. Namely, upgrading 2LD, 3RD, and potentially 3C.
Add a LW to that list as well. An "Oates" LW to be clear.

Last edited by PucktotheHead: 01-14-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: grammar :/
Old
01-14-2014, 01:42 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Add a LW to that list as well. An "Oates" LW to be clear.
I think one guy who would work out in DC is Martin E... oh, nevermind.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:57 PM
PucktotheHead

Quote:
I think one guy who would work out in DC is Martin E... oh, nevermind.
Haha...a career RW who has not skated one shift at RW. Brilliant.

Old
01-14-2014, 02:48 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aela View Post
He can actually play defense quite well, despite other fanbases accusations.
Yup, buff makes perfect passes right to Malkin for wide open goals. Buff is just SOOOOO good in his own zone.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Aela*

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Yup, buff makes perfect passes right to Malkin for wide open goals. Buff is just SOOOOO good in his own zone.
It's fairly obvious once you watch him at forward what his impact is on defense. He's given all the tough assignments, spends a lot of time out there, and is usually paired with someone like Pardy, Ellerby, or Clitsome. Not exactly studs on D.

He does a lot of good stickwork along the blueline and on the boards. He does have an issue with people in front of the net, mind you.

Still, as inconsistent as he is, when he's playing good D he's a great 2 way dman, probably top 15 in that regard...when he's consistent.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote