HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Introducing your 2014-15 Flyers - armchair edition.

Old
01-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
No way he signs for 3.325.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:46 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Another guy I would be interested, and again, no idea of availability or cost, but Scott Glennie from Dallas. He's the same age as Brayden Schenn and was taken like two or three picks after him in the draft, and appears to be struggling in the AHL, but if he could be had for cheap, I wouldn't mind scooping him up as a reclamation kind of project. He played with Schenn in juniors and I think he was supposed to be another good two-way forward. Maybe a nice future linemate for Couturier? Again, no idea if the Stars are still high on him or what, but his ELC expires this year and he has one NHL game and about 60 career AHL points in about 125 games. Maybe the Flyers can buy low on a guy like that?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 01:51 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
No way he signs for 3.325.
Sub in Klesla?

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:33 PM
bbcelite

Kulemin (FA ~3) - G (8.2)- Voracek (4.2)
Hartnell (4.7) - Lecavalier (4.5) - Simmonds (~4)
Read (3.6)- Couts (1.7) - Laughton (0.9)
XXX (0.7)- Goc (FA ~ 2) - Hall (0.7)

Streit (5.2) - Coburn (4.5)
Schenn (3.6) - Josi (4.0) (via trade for B. Schenn)
Wiercioch (2.0) (via trade for grossmann - Somebody of alt/morin etc (0.9)

mason (3.9)
Heeter (0.9)

$ ~ 63,2 payroll and enough room to start with pronger. I tried to shake up the D a little bit. Up front, meh its tough. This team lacks speed but hey everything else is fine.
You could also switch read with kulemin and laughton with goc...

Last edited by bbcelite: 01-14-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: good ideas from apple
bbcelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Appleyard

I would love Goc... but doubt he comes over to play 4th line minutes, look at Gordon... went to Edmonton for more money to play more minutes instead of be an afterthought, on less money getting the worst minutes in the league. But if he could be had he would be amazing on the 4th.

I love Kulemin as well... but not at 1LW, he is a ~20-30 guy if he plays on a 1st line. Him-Couts-Read would be the best 3rd line in the NHL though! I also think someone may throw 4mill at him in the hope he can be a 1st liner and put up 50-55 point when not vs the oppositions best players each night.

I actually like all the 4 players individually that you slotted into the lineup, but not sure how good a fit they would be! Grossmann for Wiercioch is something that could be a good risk, the guy has a big ceiling... but is a risk. at this juncture his D is not the best even against the oppositions worst players. Josi is great.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Another guy I would be interested, and again, no idea of availability or cost, but Scott Glennie from Dallas. He's the same age as Brayden Schenn and was taken like two or three picks after him in the draft, and appears to be struggling in the AHL, but if he could be had for cheap, I wouldn't mind scooping him up as a reclamation kind of project. He played with Schenn in juniors and I think he was supposed to be another good two-way forward. Maybe a nice future linemate for Couturier? Again, no idea if the Stars are still high on him or what, but his ELC expires this year and he has one NHL game and about 60 career AHL points in about 125 games. Maybe the Flyers can buy low on a guy like that?
Glennie is a bust. No buying low on a player who won't be a nhler

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Psuhockey

I wouldn't wait until the offseason. I would trade Schenn and Schenn to buffalo for Moulson and Pysyk, who I think is a future top 4 defensemen and is right handed. If Eklund is right and St Louis wants Hartnell (St Louis and the flyers have been legitimately scouting the each other all year)' I would trade him for Vanelli +. Moulson is the top line left wing and Raffl moves to 2nd line left wing. Pysyk is in the bottom 4.

Sign Moulson to extension of 5.5. Sign Markov to Kimmo's money of 6 mil as his replacement. Defense is still suspect but adding Pysyk now and Vanelli for the future gives the flyers a ton of options on the blue line in the next few years with righties Pysyk Alt and Vanelli and lefties Morin Hagg and Gostisbehere.

Last edited by Psuhockey: 01-14-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 04:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Glennie is a bust. No buying low on a player who won't be a nhler
Is he really that bad? I mean he's only 22. He's gotta be on AT LEAST the same level as the guys in ADK, no? I honestly don't know how he's done, I just notice he is struggling in the Dallas org and I figured maybe give him a shot and he turns out to be a decent third liner to play with Coots? If not, I have no problem not pursuing him. Haha.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:19 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Is he really that bad? I mean he's only 22. He's gotta be on AT LEAST the same level as the guys in ADK, no? I honestly don't know how he's done, I just notice he is struggling in the Dallas org and I figured maybe give him a shot and he turns out to be a decent third liner to play with Coots? If not, I have no problem not pursuing him. Haha.
He has struggled with injury problems, even since his time in Brandon.

01-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Funf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I wouldn't wait until the offseason. I would trade Schenn and Schenn to buffalo for Moulson and Pysyk, who I think is a future top 4 defensemen and is right handed. If Eklund is right and St Louis wants Hartnell (St Louis and the flyers have been legitimately scouting the each other all year)' I would trade him for Vanelli +. Moulson is the top line left wing and Raffl moves to 2nd line left wing. Pysyk is in the bottom 4.

Sign Moulson to extension of 5.5. Sign Markov to Kimmo's money of 6 mil as his replacement. Defense is still suspect but adding Pysyk now and Vanelli for the future gives the flyers a ton of options on the blue line in the next few years with righties Pysyk Alt and Vanelli and lefties Morin Hagg and Gostisbehere.
If there's anybody on Buffalo that I'd want on the Flyers, it's Ehrhoff, to hold us over after Timonen retires, until one of Ghost/Hagg/Morin can take his spot. I'm not sure what the asking price would be for him, he's locked up for a very long time (probably too long; his deal expires in 2021) for a great price. I'd imagine Buffalo wants a bonafide prospect or a decent pick in return. If they're asking for something like this years first, I'd really have to consider it.

Edit: I'm just assuming that the price for Ehrhoff is a little chapter than Pysyk, considering where Buffalo is with their current rebuild.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 04:31 PM
ahthorne

Quote:

That's just bad value. Moulson can't play D so it would be like adding another Briere and Schenn vs. Pysyk is a wash at this point. If targeting anybody from Buffalo, I'd go hard after Ehrhoff or Myers. Not Moulson.

Hartnell could definitely return more than that, too. Especially given his play lately.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 04:45 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
He has struggled with injury problems, even since his time in Brandon.
Injuries like something chronic (ACL, Concussion, etc) or injuries like bad luck things still happen (broken bone or something).

Old
01-14-2014, 05:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
He's got close to 100 AHL games under his belt & hasn't really done much to this point to prove he'll be an NHL player injuries or not.

His qualifying offer won't be too much (around $800K or so) so Dallas could bring him back but it likely would because they don't want to admit defeat just yet.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 07:57 PM
FlyingPhilly

Flyers defense has too many d-men with no puck skills in Coburn, Grossmann, LSchenn or average to below average skating in Timonen, Grossmann, Streit, LSchenn, and Gus.

Then, there is Mez who is more of a forward than a d-man. No skill or speed on the backend. It is really depressing really.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 07:17 AM
bbcelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Flyers defense has too many d-men with no puck skills in Coburn, Grossmann, LSchenn or average to below average skating in Timonen, Grossmann, Streit, LSchenn, and Gus.

Then, there is Mez who is more of a forward than a d-man. No skill or speed on the backend. It is really depressing really.
True words...and the suprise is, even with this D, the "new" system works. Imagine berube can work with above average skater or pmd! So plz homer get it done!
Let Gus Mesz und Timonen walk away und trade grossmann. That leaves Streit - coburn LSchenn and a lot of cap room to work with.
As I mentioned earlier, perhaps you can get a guy like josi. This would be huge

bbcelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Prongo
Beer

I will honestly say I think Nashville would consider moving Weber before Josi. He is still very young and locked up long term on their contract.

I saw some things about how they are in some tough financial times down in Nashville on their board again. We have all seen this game play out before.

Old
01-15-2014, 07:25 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcelite View Post
True words...and the suprise is, even with this D, the "new" system works. Imagine berube can work with above average skater or pmd! So plz homer get it done!
Let Gus Mesz und Timonen walk away und trade grossmann. That leaves Streit - coburn LSchenn and a lot of cap room to work with.
As I mentioned earlier, perhaps you can get a guy like josi. This would be huge
There is no question there needs to be a large amount of retooling on D. The good thing is the Flyers know this as evidence with the weber offer sheet and trying to get suter. This team does not NEED standout Dmen as it was mentioned they are winning games at a good clip now as is. Of course we want one but it may be best to hold on to guys like schenn and sign reasonable contracts to more mobile 3-4 guys.

But its obvious this team with a few good additions on D would be awesome. Then you can always hope that out of Ghost, Hagg, and Morin we could have some high end talent. I personally like to dream that all three hit big and we end up with something even better than the hawks!

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:59 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
There is no question there needs to be a large amount of retooling on D. The good thing is the Flyers know this as evidence with the weber offer sheet and trying to get suter. This team does not NEED standout Dmen as it was mentioned they are winning games at a good clip now as is. Of course we want one but it may be best to hold on to guys like schenn and sign reasonable contracts to more mobile 3-4 guys.

But its obvious this team with a few good additions on D would be awesome. Then you can always hope that out of Ghost, Hagg, and Morin we could have some high end talent. I personally like to dream that all three hit big and we end up with something even better than the hawks!
Patience may be the key and Homer has refrained from blowing up the young forward corps to acquire defense so far, which is good.

I'm all for bridging the gap with middle tear defensemen out of free agency, if the blockbuster deal for a proven #1 does not materialize or would cost an arm and leg.
Getting 2 or 3 guys signed short term, hoping at least one of them may pan out, is not a bad approach in general. As long as it does not mean we are going for more Mark Streit like contracts...

At the same time we need to be aware that we have a logjam at center and with Laughton possibly coming up next year it would only be logical to try everything to use that strength in a trade. One center will have to go! The question will be how to maximize the return for the team moving forward.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He's got close to 100 AHL games under his belt & hasn't really done much to this point to prove he'll be an NHL player injuries or not.

His qualifying offer won't be too much (around $800K or so) so Dallas could bring him back but it likely would because they don't want to admit defeat just yet.
Oh I'm not suggesting that we sign him and he lights it up or anything like that. But the Flyers signed a guy like Straka last season who didn't even play in the AHL and was never signed by CBJ (for whatever reason), why not give a shot to this guy? Low risk, high reward IMO if Dallas throws in the towel on him. Either sign him if he is not offered a deal, offer sheet him (what would the compensation be for a sub $1 mil contract...a third or fourth?), or just trade for him a late round pick. Worst case scenario, he doesn't pan out and he disappears never to be heard from again. Best case scenario we gave a solid third line winger who is young and signed to that ever so important cheap contract.

Just a thought. I won't be too broken up about it if they don't go after him. He was a first round pick a couple years ago, so there was at least some potential back then, maybe reuniting him with Schenn will spark him or something?

Old
01-15-2014, 09:17 AM
SolidSnakeUS

As a wild card idea for next season, do you think Ghost would have the possibility of playing for the Flyers next year? Or would he need/should have a full/almost-full season in the AHL?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:34 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
As a wild card idea for next season, do you think Ghost would have the possibility of playing for the Flyers next year? Or would he need/should have a full/almost-full season in the AHL?
I think he has got to play in the AHL for a year just to make sure he can hang with guys this size (or put on about 20-30 pounds). My take on Ghost has been that for him to be successful he is going to have to be pretty damned good. He is so small for an NHL defenseman that in order for him to compete he is going to have either put on some serious pounds, or play exceptionally well. If he were on the team right now, he would be the smallest defender by about 20-30 pounds, and about 80 pounds smaller than our biggest. His ability to deal with a guy like Milan Lucic is going to potentially make him a liability out there. There will potentially be guys 4-5 inches taller and 50-60 pounds heavier than him on a nightly basis roughing him up in front of the net and the corners. In the offensive zone he might be fine, but I will be very wary of him in his own zone until I see that he canc ompete.

Old
01-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Hiesenberg

Ghost will have to put up like 30-40 pts for them to accept a sub-par defense from him which may happen considering his size.

Rafalski is a name that comes to mind, anybody else think this?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Ghost will have to put up like 30-40 pts for them to accept a sub-par defense from him which may happen considering his size.

BC16 fan sure does lol. That's who he always compares him too.

I don't like making comparisons, but he will need PP time with those numbers. The way the Flyers run their PP is with one defender one forward at the top might be tough for him to find them. Now, that may change in time, but when Morin comes up he needs to be on the back end of one of those PP's. He has a cannon. Now Streit will probably be manning the other one during that time.

I love Ghost, he has all the tools to become a great player. He can skate like the wind(which many of us have said is what the Flyers need to be looking for), physical even for his size, has greatly improved his defense. It is just a matter of if he can bring it together. A lot of people are saying though, he defense which was a weakness at one point, is becoming a strong suit for him.

Old
01-15-2014, 09:53 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post

I don't know that he will be like Rafalski, but that is who he will have to be like to succeed IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
BC16 fan sure does lol. That's who he always compares him too.

I don't like making comparisons, but he will need PP time with those numbers. The way the Flyers run their PP is with one defender one forward at the top might be tough for him to find them. Now, that may change in time, but when Morin comes up he needs to be on the back end of one of those PP's. He has a cannon. Now Streit will probably be manning the other one during that time.

I love Ghost, he has all the tools to become a great player. He can skate like the wind(which many of us have said is what the Flyers need to be looking for), physical even for his size, has greatly improved his defense. It is just a matter of if he can bring it together. A lot of people are saying though, he defense which was a weakness at one point, is becoming a strong suit for him.
That's at the NCAA level though. If he is 170-180 in the NHL (HF has him listed at 161, I've seen other sites say 175), he is going to get abused by the wingers that are 225+ pounds and over six foot. He'll be manhandled in front of the net, destroyed in the corners, and shoved off the puck easily in his own zone. He's going to have to put on some pounds, or be an incredibly strong defensive player to compensate.

His offense may be fine, but his size will be his biggest detriment. That's why I think you put him in the AHL next year to let him show that he can play with some seriously heavy hitters (literally and figuratively). Maybe I am wrong about this though...are NCAA players comparable in size to NHL players? I'm sure there are a bunch that are 6'4", 235lbs, but is he facing guys that big on a regular basis?

Old
01-15-2014, 09:56 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:

Couldn't we get Moulson this upcoming offseason without giving up anything. I would guess he'd love to play in Philly with Roo.... just a hunch.

Pysyk I like, he is still learning but has high hockey IQ. Plus I taught him in school I have a bias toward him. Wonder what the Sabres value him at given they have a boatload of D prospects in the pipeline...

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote