HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Agility for an, ahem, older noob

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2014, 06:01 PM
  #1
AntsSheffield
Registered User
 
AntsSheffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Agility for an, ahem, older noob

I can skate forwards and skate backwards and stop and crossover. I've got a big gap tho when it comes to transitions and turns from forward to backward skating and vice versa.

Anyone got any tips for learning these moves? Any precursor practice/drills to getting the ability to switch from fwd to bwd at a useful speed?

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
  #2
PS12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
I can skate forwards and skate backwards and stop and crossover. I've got a big gap tho when it comes to transitions and turns from forward to backward skating and vice versa.

Anyone got any tips for learning these moves? Any precursor practice/drills to getting the ability to switch from fwd to bwd at a useful speed?
I practice mohawks a lot. Its great for transitions.

http://howtohockey.com/how-to-do-the-mohawk-turn

PS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 06:26 PM
  #3
ciscomorales
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Katy, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
I know the feeling, everyone I talk to tells me to go forward at a good clip and do the transition... You pull it off or you fall, stop get up go the other direction and do it again. I can do it pretty well at about 75% on the left and bust my ass everytime on the right. So you know what I am working on. Next is the backwards crossover.

ciscomorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:27 AM
  #4
AntsSheffield
Registered User
 
AntsSheffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS12 View Post
I practice mohawks a lot. Its great for transitions.

http://howtohockey.com/how-to-do-the-mohawk-turn
Yep. I started to try this a while ago. It's taking time tho and feels really odd on the ice. I just don't have have the hip opening yet. I guess it avoids all that mini-jump stuff tho so maybe I should put more effort in on these

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:46 AM
  #5
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,699
vCash: 500
Lots of stretching to open up the hips. Mohawks are very difficult with tight hips.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 01:13 PM
  #6
redbranch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bridgewater,nj
Country: United States
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
dead on with the stretching.
Additionally, you can start getting the muscle memory of the mohawk turn at home. The way I learned to do them was I practiced them a ton while watching tv on my hardwood floor in my socks. It's not the same thing, but it made it much easier to pick up on the ice.

I "pre-learned" a lot of stuff that way. just to get the flexibility and movements right before worrying about doing it on a little steel blade

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 01:34 PM
  #7
hilega
Registered User
 
hilega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 300sKingsShootTwice
Country: United States
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Skate around a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
I can skate forwards and skate backwards and stop and crossover. I've got a big gap tho when it comes to transitions and turns from forward to backward skating and vice versa.

Anyone got any tips for learning these moves? Any precursor practice/drills to getting the ability to switch from fwd to bwd at a useful speed?
See my tip in this thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1581297

We did this in my LTP class a few months ago.

hilega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:19 PM
  #8
AntsSheffield
Registered User
 
AntsSheffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
dead on with the stretching.
Additionally, you can start getting the muscle memory of the mohawk turn at home. The way I learned to do them was I practiced them a ton while watching tv on my hardwood floor in my socks. It's not the same thing, but it made it much easier to pick up on the ice.

I "pre-learned" a lot of stuff that way. just to get the flexibility and movements right before worrying about doing it on a little steel blade
I'm doing that already. Including when I'm waiting around in public places and people probably think I'm mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilega View Post
See my tip in this thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1581297

We did this in my LTP class a few months ago.
That's a nice, concise little training programme

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:46 PM
  #9
PS12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
Yep. I started to try this a while ago. It's taking time tho and feels really odd on the ice. I just don't have have the hip opening yet. I guess it avoids all that mini-jump stuff tho so maybe I should put more effort in on these
It does feel odd.

Im 46 and not as flexible as i used to be. Doing mohawk circles to my right seemed a lot easier than going to my left. Im still working on doing the circles to my left. Its still a little awkward but im getting there.

Definitely practice doing it off ice.

PS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 01:51 AM
  #10
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
I'll also add stretching. When I was first starting out ice skating a couple years ago, I had straight ahead speed but nothing else. I did insanity for 3 weeks (lots of pre and post stretching) and I have never had more agility. 4 years later, I've reached enough fitness goals that I want to incorporate yoga into my training regiment. Tomorrow is my first class.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 01:53 AM
  #11
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I'll also add stretching. When I was first starting out ice skating a couple years ago, I had straight ahead speed but nothing else. I did insanity for 3 weeks (lots of pre and post stretching) and I have never had more agility. 4 years later, I've reached enough fitness goals that I want to incorporate yoga into my training regiment. Tomorrow is my first class.
I should add I played a lot of roller as a kid, so I'm comfortable skating forward in one direction and doing a little hop and weight transfers in the other to start gaining gain speed in transition.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 09:18 AM
  #12
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,276
vCash: 500
What types of games are you playing in now? By that I mean are you playing in all league games, Instructional classes, rats, or just skating on your own.

If you are playing in any kind of game I would recommend asking to play defense, even if that is not your natural position. It will also help if the players are a little above your level. If you are playing a lot of defense, especially against better players, they will force you to transition a lot and with speed. It will be very difficult at first but you will get it. Once you start to gain some confidence you'll be able to slow those guys up and eventually be able to stop them. Then once you go back to your regular position or start playing with guys at your level it will be a breeze.

I understand that this is probably the most extreme option and might be a little uncomfortable but I found that the only way to get better in a lot of cases is to force yourself out of your comfort zone.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 02:47 PM
  #13
AntsSheffield
Registered User
 
AntsSheffield's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
What types of games are you playing in now? By that I mean are you playing in all league games, Instructional classes, rats, or just skating on your own.

If you are playing in any kind of game I would recommend asking to play defense, even if that is not your natural position. It will also help if the players are a little above your level. If you are playing a lot of defense, especially against better players, they will force you to transition a lot and with speed. It will be very difficult at first but you will get it. Once you start to gain some confidence you'll be able to slow those guys up and eventually be able to stop them. Then once you go back to your regular position or start playing with guys at your level it will be a breeze.

I understand that this is probably the most extreme option and might be a little uncomfortable but I found that the only way to get better in a lot of cases is to force yourself out of your comfort zone.
I'm playing 1v1, 2v1, 3v2, 3v3 etc mostly in a not-complete-beginner/adult learn to play programme.

It's good advice to get out of my comfort zone, for sure. Having said that, I lack to confidence/skills to use any transitional moves during play. I feel I'm going to have to practice a LOT at public sessions, until they become near-instinctive.

I'm a drummer also, and in that there's a phrase there: "Learn it, then burn it" and it's only when you've burned something into muscle memory is it going to be good enough for a gig. I'm still learning Mohawks, and have still to burn em in.

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 07:35 PM
  #14
goodriddance628
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NW PA
Country: United States
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Like ChiTownhawks said getting out of your comfort zone works well, try and find out when there are some pick up games at your rink and try to get in them there will be a range of skill level in those games anywhere from D to B league, the hardest part is getting over the fear of not being skilled enough to play in them but most of the guys who play are pretty cool and understand. Once you get into the game and you are trying your hardest you will try stuff without thinking about it, and when the other guys see you giving your all they will get behind you. I played pick up yesterday where or D league team scrimmaged the local high school hockey team plus we had a handful of guys from the B league, I got juked out of my skates smoked in an open race to the puck plus hit the ice a few times, but it was one of the most fun pick up games I played in

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 08:28 PM
  #15
SillyMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ma.
Country: United States
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Same here(Drummer/attitude)
I just gathered up ALL my gear after 34 years off, and to be honest, I'm pretty nervous, but I want to get back into hockey bad.
Gear I don't already have will be here by the end of the week, and will be doing stick time this week and next to get me back into it some.

Just gotta do it!





Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
I'm playing 1v1, 2v1, 3v2, 3v3 etc mostly in a not-complete-beginner/adult learn to play programme.

It's good advice to get out of my comfort zone, for sure. Having said that, I lack to confidence/skills to use any transitional moves during play. I feel I'm going to have to practice a LOT at public sessions, until they become near-instinctive.

I'm a drummer also, and in that there's a phrase there: "Learn it, then burn it" and it's only when you've burned something into muscle memory is it going to be good enough for a gig. I'm still learning Mohawks, and have still to burn em in.

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 11:30 AM
  #16
Cotton McKnight
BLUESBLUESBLUESBLUES
 
Cotton McKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Plumas Lake, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Just getting back to hockey after 7 years off, I cannot believe I let that happen. There are not many Ice rinks close by, so it is roller hockey until we move back to a colder climate.

My gosh, I feel out of my element on roller-blades. Went ice skating in my old goal skates a couple of years ago and was fine, transitioned all over the place, great balance, but now that I am trying to play out of the net (no longer tending the goal) I am really off on the skating.

I am going to try the Tomahawk, but does anyone have any suggestions for quicker stopping for roller hockey?

Cotton McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.