HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

OT: NFL looking to sell Thursday Night package - NBCSN?

Old
01-12-2014, 09:37 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
OT: NFL looking to sell Thursday Night package - NBCSN?

The NFL is looking to sell off part of it's Thursday Night package.

Could this finally be NBCSN's chance? Comcast (OLN/Versus) was interested in 2005, before the NFL decided to keep it in-house on the NFL Network.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-loo...4759--nfl.html

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- The NFL is talking to television networks about selling a package of Thursday night games.

''NFL Network has done a tremendous job building Thursday night and will retain games, but we are in discussions to air a part of the package with existing and potentially new broadcast and cable partners,'' league spokesman Brian McCarthy said Sunday.

NFL Network began airing an eight-game package in 2006, which increased to 13 in 2012. The league could sell some of those games to an outside network, starting as soon as next season.

As the NFL keeps drawing monster TV ratings, any additional games are hugely appealing to networks. The competition for a potential package is even greater with the recent addition of cable channel Fox Sports 1 and NBC's attempts to grow NBCSN. Turner Sports also could be among the potential suitors.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:53 PM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Considering NBC's standing in the prime time TV market, why wouldn't they just put the games on the big network?

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:58 PM
massivegoonery

Well, the games are almost always horrible.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:22 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Considering NBC's standing in the prime time TV market, why wouldn't they just put the games on the big network?
A bunch of reasons:

- A cable network would likely pay more. It would likely generate more $$$ in subscriber fees than it would in advertising on a broadcast network.

- An 8:30 ET start is 5:30 PT. NBC affiliates on the West Coast would have to preempt local programming and would be left with no programming for prime time. That's do-able for a Sunday, where people will watch an "early" evening game, but less so for a weekday.

- If it's only an 8 game package or less, NBC would be left with gaping holes in it's Fall prime-time lineup.

- The current Thursday night schedule is far from the marquee matchups scheduled for Sunday Nights or MNF.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 01:40 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Didn't a few cable companies just pick up NFLN, or at the very least remove it from a sports tier just because there was such an outcry from people who wanted to be able to watch the Thursday games?

Seems the NFL pulled a fast one here, very few people are going to give a crap about NFLN if there are no live games.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:41 AM
cutchemist42

So there would pretty much be no reason for NFLN to exist?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Quote:
Didn't a few cable companies just pick up NFLN, or at the very least remove it from a sports tier just because there was such an outcry from people who wanted to be able to watch the Thursday games?

Seems the NFL pulled a fast one here, very few people are going to give a crap about NFLN if there are no live games.
I think that was pretty much the point of the Thursday night games being on NFLN. They needed leverage to get all of the cable companies to add it to the basic tier; now that they have accomplished that, they no longer need to air the games themselves since I would bet they can make more money by selling off the rights. At this point no cable company is going to remove NFLN so they don't need to worry about that anymore.

01-13-2014, 10:27 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Their standing on Thursday night is very good. The 1 night of the week they have going for them.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:37 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

That was actually the reason I switch from Time Warner to DirecTV 2 years ago. At the time TWC didn't have the NFL network and DTV did. The Bills had a Thursday night game scheduled and I didn't want to miss it.

Interestingly enough, literally the day DTV was installed, TWC and NFLN reached an agreement. Oh well, too late for TWC.

01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

didn't TNF feature winless Jacksonville vs one win Houston at one point this season? Yeah, this package is going to cable... it's just a question of whether NBCSN or FS1 overpays for it

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
didn't TNF feature winless Jacksonville vs one win Houston at one point this season? Yeah, this package is going to cable... it's just a question of whether NBCSN or FS1 overpays for it
Monday Night football featured a Giants-Vikings game, not really much better.

TNF had some bad games, but as long as every team is guaranteed to play on Thursday* there will be some decent matchups to go along with some awful ones.

*I realize some teams Thursday games are used on Thanksgiving and not shown on NFLN.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:01 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I wonder how the Thursday Night games have done ratings-wise on the NFLN vs. the college games on ESPN at the same time.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:34 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
A bunch of reasons:

- A cable network would likely pay more. It would likely generate more $$$ in subscriber fees than it would in advertising on a broadcast network.

- An 8:30 ET start is 5:30 PT. NBC affiliates on the West Coast would have to preempt local programming and would be left with no programming for prime time. That's do-able for a Sunday, where people will watch an "early" evening game, but less so for a weekday.

- If it's only an 8 game package or less, NBC would be left with gaping holes in it's Fall prime-time lineup.

- The current Thursday night schedule is far from the marquee matchups scheduled for Sunday Nights or MNF.
Plus, NBC would probably have to offer the game on a free outlet in the markets in which the game is played (provided that there is no blackout in effect). I do think that NBCSN should bid on this, as it would give them a second big sport. They would likely be bidding against Fox Sports 1...I personally think that NBCSN needs it more.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Get rid of the Thursday Night Football Games ... Friday wouldn't be half bad though, yes I know, you can't infringe upon High School Football ******

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Well, the games are almost always horrible.
I always forget they're even on.

When they added a few Thursday nite games at the end of the season, that was fine. But having a thur night game EVERY week is just too much - I am in work mode on thur night, and thur is a hockey night anyway.

I think the NFL schedules fringe teams that they won't waste on a MNF game (Rams, Jaguars, etc), just to try to get them some national exposure.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:00 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
I always forget they're even on.

When they added a few Thursday nite games at the end of the season, that was fine. But having a thur night game EVERY week is just too much - I am in work mode on thur night, and thur is a hockey night anyway.

I think the NFL schedules fringe teams that they won't waste on a MNF game (Rams, Jaguars, etc), just to try to get them some national exposure.
I think they put in a rule every team has one thursday night game (I think they can have two if they are in the kickoff Thursday game). thanksgiving games are included in that as well.

But it would be big for NBCSN if they can get the package.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 07:25 PM
tony d
ATD 2015

Never understood why they did a Thursday night game anyway, having an extra Monday night game would be so much better IMO.

01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
molsonmuscle360

Fox Sports 1 will probably be all over this. That channel hasn't been meeting expectations as can be seen by the UFC opening up their own digital channel

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 07:45 PM
aqib

Quote:
Partly because they would have a hole in their lineup for 36 weeks out of the year. ABC had this issue with MNF which is why they moved it ESPN.

aqib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:47 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Never understood why they did a Thursday night game anyway, having an extra Monday night game would be so much better IMO.
An extra Monday game? You gonna start a game at 11 eastern every week?

Works for the opening week, but not feasible beyond that.

Old
01-15-2014, 11:55 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
An extra Monday game? You gonna start a game at 11 eastern every week?

Works for the opening week, but not feasible beyond that.
Yea. In order not to have overlap you either have to start a game at 3PM or earlier on the west coast or have one end later at 1AM or later on the east coast.

Neither are good options.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 01:16 AM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
A bunch of reasons:

Ironically, rumor has it that ABC is pushing hard for this package as a means to escape their current collapse. Having the NFL has become that important, apparently.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 02:46 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Ironically, rumor has it that ABC is pushing hard for this package as a means to escape their current collapse. Having the NFL has become that important, apparently.
So strange that they'd end up coming full circle after getting rid of MNF to free up the schedule and not have to fill the 2nd half of the TV season.

Old
01-18-2014, 02:55 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014...o-bid-for-abc/

Quote:
the NFL would prefer putting the new package on broadcast television, which would explain why ESPN would bid for ABC rather than keeping the games for itself — which has been the network’s practice in recent years.

With that in mind, one can also surmise that FOX, NBC and CBS will bid for their respective broadcast networks rather than Fox Sports 1, NBCSN or CBS Sports Network. Turner Sports, which does not have a presence on broadcast television, is considered a “long shot” (SBD, 10/16).
So much for NBCSN

Old
01-18-2014, 06:27 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Always thought it was odd having Thursday night games. Just put them on Sunday night as another game, or Monday so there's two.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote