HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Make the trade deadline fun

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2007, 04:49 PM
  #26
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
You're assuming the Oilers are looking to compete this season...
I'm assuming they want to compete before 2009.

Because there's no way we'd compete this season or next season with Smid, Greene and Parent all on the blueline.


PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:50 PM
  #27
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I'd like it, if only for comedic value.

Staios
Tjarnqvist
Bergeron
Greene
Smid
Parent
Roy
Gilbert

What a collection of misfit toys that would be. Go playoff drive!
Go rebuild!

Smith for Parent would be nothing less and nothing more than your prototypical veteran-for-prospect rebuild transaction.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:51 PM
  #28
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I'd like it, if only for comedic value.

Staios
Tjarnqvist
Bergeron
Greene
Smid
Parent
Roy
Gilbert

What a collection of misfit toys that would be. Go playoff drive!
Tjarnqvist is a UFA.

It could honestly be the worst defensive corps in history...

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:56 PM
  #29
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I'm assuming they want to compete before 2009.

Because there's no way we'd compete this season or next season with Smid, Greene and Parent all on the blueline.

What's the real window for this team anyways?

Many of our core players are signed for the next 3 to 4 years or more (Staios, Moreau, Pisani, Roloson, Hemsky).

Major players awaiting status are Smyth and Smith. If I had to bet, either Smyth signs a long term contract ala Moreau and Staios or he doesn't sign here at all. Same with Smith.

Players on the "fringe" of the core are Horcoff, Stoll, Lupul and Torres. Of those, half are signed for 3 years (including this one) and the other half are signed to shorter deals. In other words, the fringe is variable, as it should be, to allow maximum flexibility.

Overall, the window to win is likely within 4 years with this current group. The window to peak, unfortunately, is also likely to extend right toward the end of that 4 year period. Which means trading Smith for a younger player really won't affect that window, imo, especially since Smith will be on the decline in 3-4 years and Parent (could) be on the rise.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:01 PM
  #30
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
What's the real window for this team anyways?

Many of our core players are signed for the next 3 to 4 years or more (Staios, Moreau, Pisani, Roloson, Hemsky).

Major players awaiting status are Smyth and Smith. If I had to bet, either Smyth signs a long term contract ala Moreau and Staios or he doesn't sign here at all. Same with Smith.

Players on the "fringe" of the core are Horcoff, Stoll, Lupul and Torres. Of those, half are signed for 3 years (including this one) and the other half are signed to shorter deals. In other words, the fringe is variable, as it should be, to allow maximum flexibility.

Overall, the window to win is likely within 4 years with this current group. The window to peak, unfortunately, is also likely to extend right toward the end of that 4 year period. Which means trading Smith for a younger player really won't affect that window, imo, especially since Smith will be on the decline in 3-4 years and Parent (could) be on the rise.
The window has to be the Roloson contract, and I'm not even sure he'll be the same guy by that third year. We don't have anyone who's even close to a replacement right now either.

Parent would be a bare minimum 2 years away (plus this season) from contributing, and at least 3 if not 4 from being the defenseman that Jason Smith is. D have a huge curve, and he's still in the CHL.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:08 PM
  #31
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
The window has to be the Roloson contract, and I'm not even sure he'll be the same guy by that third year. We don't have anyone who's even close to a replacement right now either.

Parent would be a bare minimum 2 years away (plus this season) from contributing, and at least 3 if not 4 from being the defenseman that Jason Smith is. D have a huge curve, and he's still in the CHL.
The scary part about this: can you imagine Jason Smith in 2 years? It's obvious he's lost a lot. Although his play has slightly rebounded recently, he's still nowhere near what he was at his prior seasons (even before Pronger arrived) in Edmonton. Unless he has a Selanne-type renaissance, I don't forsee him being a capable 2nd pairing defenseman in two years (harsh, but that's jmo).

My belief is that it will not matter if we trade Smith. His decline trend projected to 2 years in the future may not put him that far above Parent's development trend projected to 2 years in the future. Factor in age, cost, and the possibility that Matt Greene looks poised to take over in Smith's physical role, and the outcome is that trade.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:12 PM
  #32
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
The scary part about this: can you imagine Jason Smith in 2 years? It's obvious he's lost a lot. Although his play has slightly rebounded recently, he's still nowhere near what he was at his prior seasons (even before Pronger arrived) in Edmonton. Unless he has a Selanne-type renaissance, I don't forsee him being a capable 2nd pairing defenseman in two years (harsh, but that's jmo).

My belief is that it will not matter if we trade Smith. His decline trend projected to 2 years in the future may not put him that far above Parent's development trend projected to 2 years in the future. Factor in age, cost, and the possibility that Matt Greene looks poised to take over in Smith's physical role, and the outcome is that trade.
To be fair - Smith has been a lot better since the start of the season.

The first 15 games were a rough time for Smith, but he's now sitting at only a -3 (and I think he's been on the ice for a couple goals where the other team had their goalie pulled, so he's likely an even at 5v5).

Considering that A) he's drawn the toughest assignments of any Oiler this season, B) the best player he's played with this season was either Tjarnqvist in the first 8 games (before we found out he was made of the glass) or Hejda in the last 8..

I think he's actually starting to put together a pretty solid season, all things considered.

Definitely needs some help though.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:14 PM
  #33
Traktor*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
The scary part about this: can you imagine Jason Smith in 2 years? It's obvious he's lost a lot. Although his play has slightly rebounded recently, he's still nowhere near what he was at his prior seasons (even before Pronger arrived) in Edmonton. Unless he has a Selanne-type renaissance, I don't forsee him being a capable 2nd pairing defenseman in two years (harsh, but that's jmo).

My belief is that it will not matter if we trade Smith. His decline trend projected to 2 years in the future may not put him that far above Parent's development trend projected to 2 years in the future. Factor in age, cost, and the possibility that Matt Greene looks poised to take over in Smith's physical role, and the outcome is that trade.
I agree 100% with you. Great post(s)

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:19 PM
  #34
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
To be fair - Smith has been a lot better since the start of the season.

The first 15 games were a rough time for Smith, but he's now sitting at only a -3 (and I think he's been on the ice for a couple goals where the other team had their goalie pulled, so he's likely an even at 5v5).

Considering that A) he's drawn the toughest assignments of any Oiler this season, B) the best player he's played with this season was either Tjarnqvist in the first 8 games (before we found out he was made of the glass) or Hejda in the last 8..

I think he's actually starting to put together a pretty solid season, all things considered.

Definitely needs some help though.
Just a difference of philosophies, I guess. A few weeks ago I would have agreed with you -- keep Smith and upgrade the other guys to make a run.

Over the last week or so I guess I've reached a epiphany. This team is missing a lot of crucial elements and not all of those can be addressed in one trading deadline.

Now I think we should trade Smith and build around a youngish nucleus with less veteran guys (keep a guy like Staios who is already signed and sign a cheap bottom-pairing guy who can provide some experience) -- iow, make a run in the near future.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:22 PM
  #35
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Just a difference of philosophies, I guess. A few weeks ago I would have agreed with you -- keep Smith and upgrade the other guys to make a run.

Over the last week or so I guess I've reached a epiphany. This team is missing a lot of crucial elements and not all of those can be addressed in one trading deadline.

Now I think we should trade Smith and build around a youngish nucleus with less veteran guys (keep a guy like Staios who is already signed and sign a cheap bottom-pairing guy who can provide some experience) -- iow, make a run in the near future.
I'll consider jumping on board if you change Parent to Michalek or Keith

If we're adding youth, I want to target proven youth that can play at a high level. Those two fit the bill and mesh much better with our current core than a player who hasn't played an NHL game yet.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
  #36
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I'll consider jumping on board if you change Parent to Michalek or Keith
I'd like Seabrooke or Weber even better but unless we're willing to give up much more than just Smith, it'd be a tough sell to Chicago or Phoenix. Although, I'm sure if we offered Brad Winchester to Barnett and advertised him as Laraque v2.0, we'd be able to extract not only Michalek, but to quote Dogbert, "three comely lasses of virtue true."

I'd like to point out that even though I realistically see the window of this team as being in the next 4 years, I would be completely OK with Lowe going out and acquiring Boynton, signing Briere/Drury and making a run next year.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:28 PM
  #37
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I'd like Seabrooke or Weber even better but unless we're willing to give up much more than just Smith, it'd be a tough sell to Chicago or Phoenix. Although, I'm sure if we offered Brad Winchester to Barnett and advertised him as Laraque v2.0, we'd be able to extract not only Michalek, but to quote Dogbert, "three comely lasses of virtue true."

I'd like to point out that even though I realistically see the window of this team as being in the next 4 years, I would be completely OK with Lowe going out and acquiring Boynton, signing Briere/Drury and making a run next year.
I still think we just need to show one of Gretzky or Barnett some of the footage of Schremp in the shootout at the prospects game and Michalek is an Oiler

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 05:35 PM
  #38
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I still think we just need to show one of Gretzky or Barnett some of the footage of Schremp in the shootout at the prospects game and Michalek is an Oiler
Just show them that Mikhnov video where he blazes down the boards and dekes around the entire team.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 07:36 PM
  #39
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 59,223
vCash: 2458
Brewer to Edmonton for Torres
Forsberg to NYR for Prucha and 3rd
Samsonov to Chicago for aucoin and a 2nd
Lupul to LA for Johnson
Joseph to Vancouver for Krill Kostov

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.