HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

what kind of nhler

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2007, 11:54 PM
  #26
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe
 
Ryan Van Horne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenadian View Post
My point was LOCKE won't be in the NHL anytime soon.......151pts doesn't always translate into sucess in the NHL....
Daigle is another example
You make a very valid points. However Locke posted his 151-point season as an 18-year-old.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=59655

Tavares is 16 this season. That's a big difference. Also, Tavares is already bigger than Locke. I hear what you're saying that there's quite a jump from junior to NHL. There are tons of juniors who have had good 18 and 19 year old seasons and never caused a ripple in the NHL.

There are fewer guys who have done it at 16 and not gone on to have good or great NHL careers. And while I'm willing to go out on a limb and predict Tavares will have a great NHL career, there's always the chance he could be another Daniel Cleary.

You know what though, it's up to Tavares and I don't think he'll let that happen.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:46 AM
  #27
thomasincanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
You know what though, it's up to Tavares and I don't think he'll let that happen.
Honestly I believe the worst case scenario for Tavares is that he becomes an average second liner in the NHL. It's hard to imagine that guy not making it in the NHL *at all*.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:23 AM
  #28
SimonTemplar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London ON.
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Tavares will make a top line player probably by the time he is 20 which is pretty early in today's standards. All the folks using his point totals that is fine but it's in a watered down Eastern Conference were Belleville is actually a power house.

If Tavares put up those numbers in the West I would be surprised just too many tougher teams a defences.

How can anyone compare a 16 yr old to any Hall of Fame player ? Modano as well would just smoke Tavares with his speed game so let the kid grow a while.

I have caught him twice now it's not much to view him from but he does remind me of Heatly some what. Both have good hands too, great shots but not breakaway speed.

The other impact player I have been following id Michael DelZotto and for good reason. He already displays some game stuff needed to be a pro and he will be a dandy.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:12 PM
  #29
leafmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Knights View Post
Locke was also a significant floater and you could just tell that he wasn't going to be much of a professional player though. I don't think I ever got a feeling about him being a special player when he was putting up his points.

Tavares looks like an extremely determined individual.
It isn't as if he is racking up all of his points on the PP. Shockingly enough he only has 25 PP points relative to 95 total points.

The only thing that I will say is that technically he shouldn't be leading the league in scoring. Had Pat Kane/Sam Gagne not missed time for the World Juniors they would be ahead of him right now...but that doesn't change the fact that he is way out ahead right now.
That happens all the time and Tavares will have to deal with it the next two years when he plays in thw WJC.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:21 PM
  #30
leafmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
Bossy was possibly the best shooter (and scorer) the NHL has ever seen (hard shot.. accurate) - so that's setting the bar pretty high
So is 50 goals in 44 games. We'll have to wait and see.

As far as the Cleary coming up .....come on Cleary had 1/2 a great year his first year and while I am happy to see him have a good year in the NHL he was never as good as TAVARES is right now.

Locke also had a amazing year with Foy but Locke had the size of a pee-wee. You only get fooled by guys like Locke when you are looking at their stats from afar.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:27 PM
  #31
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe
 
Ryan Van Horne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
All the folks using his point totals that is fine but it's in a watered down Eastern Conference were Belleville is actually a power house.

If Tavares put up those numbers in the West I would be surprised just too many tougher teams a defences.
Well, that's an interesting claim. So, I did some quick math. I looked at Tavares's game-by-game performance against Eastern Division opponents (Kingston, Ottawa, Peterborough and Belleville).

In 19 games against those four teams, Tavares scored 24 goals and 25 assists. That's 49 points in 19 games. An average of almost 2.6 per game. In 23 games gainst the rest of the league, he has 26 goals and 20 assists for 46 points. That's exactly two points per game. Not too shabby.

Yes he is doing better against East Division opponents (weaker teams) but he is still scoring at a blistering pace against the rest of the league. And it's not like he's the only guy doing it either I'm sure if you looked at Kane and Gagner's stats, they've fattened up their numbers against the weak teams, too.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:32 PM
  #32
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe
 
Ryan Van Horne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafmon View Post
So is 50 goals in 44 games. We'll have to wait and see.

As far as the Cleary coming up .....come on Cleary had 1/2 a great year his first year and while I am happy to see him have a good year in the NHL he was never as good as TAVARES is right now.

Locke also had a amazing year with Foy but Locke had the size of a pee-wee. You only get fooled by guys like Locke when you are looking at their stats from afar.
The reason I mentioned Cleary's name is because he had some talent, but had an attitude problem. He stopped working after he had some success because he thought it would be easy. He said as much in a story I just read about him. If Tavares starts to coast like Cleary did, of course he's going to struggle to make the jump to the NHL.

Of course, everything I've heard and read about Tavares indicates that this will not happen. So, if you're asking me if I think Tavares will succeed, I say yes, definitely. Will I bet the farm on it? No. There's two big ifs involved in a talented junior player making the jump to the NHL. If he keeps working hard and if he keeps developing. Usually, the two are correlated.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:58 PM
  #33
thomasincanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Well, that's an interesting claim. So, I did some quick math. I looked at Tavares's game-by-game performance against Eastern Division opponents (Kingston, Ottawa, Peterborough and Belleville).

In 19 games against those four teams, Tavares scored 24 goals and 25 assists. That's 49 points in 19 games. An average of almost 2.6 per game. In 23 games gainst the rest of the league, he has 26 goals and 20 assists for 46 points. That's exactly two points per game. Not too shabby.

Yes he is doing better against East Division opponents (weaker teams) but he is still scoring at a blistering pace against the rest of the league. And it's not like he's the only guy doing it either I'm sure if you looked at Kane and Gagner's stats, they've fattened up their numbers against the weak teams, too.
IMO it isn't really much harder to score against the west than it is against the east. To be honest the whole OHL has been very scorer friendly the last couple of years. Two years ago Tavares (at 16, I mean) would definately not be putting up these kinds of numbers.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 09:03 PM
  #34
leafmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada View Post
IMO it isn't really much harder to score against the west than it is against the east. To be honest the whole OHL has been very scorer friendly the last couple of years. Two years ago Tavares (at 16, I mean) would definately not be putting up these kinds of numbers.
I'm sure he would not have also.

But so what ....do you think Kane would have the numbers he does at his size.

I'm glad the days are gone when hooking and obstruction ruled and I would rather watch Kane and Tavares.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.