HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines at Practice

Old
01-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
meh, honestly the only line that's effective on any kind of consistant basis has been Jagr's line. When Immonen played, the second line did alright for a few games and then wavered again. It hasn't been consistant for any length of time.

And the 3rd and 4th lines are consistant in that they hardly ever score.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:29 PM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Part of me feels that it doesn't even really matter what the lines are, because they've been ineffective regardless of who's playing where.

Really, until the Rangers can find a 2nd line center somewhere, the lines are just going to be ugly...
Bingo

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
meh, honestly the only line that's effective on any kind of consistant basis has been Jagr's line. When Immonen played, the second line did alright for a few games and then wavered again. It hasn't been consistant for any length of time.

And the 3rd and 4th lines are consistant in that they hardly ever score.
WHile I agree that the lack of a 2nd line C severly hinders the team, Renny is just makingthings worse...Part of the reason that only the 1st line can be effective is that the other lines don't put players in the best roles and in their best place to succeed---the main job of the coach...

Their is no identity to the 4th line whatsoever....And maybe an HBO line wouldn;t score, but it would hit, check and forecheck consitently---but we never see it like we did last year with HMO....Hossa is a cycler and a shielder, nothing else, and is out of place for a higher speed 2nd line....Betts can't pass to save his life yet he is being asked to C a sniper in Shanny? Renney is just tryingto be too cute/s,art with these combos and avoiding the obvious...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Levitate

Well again, I think the "obvious" hasn't worked terribly well this season either.

At least, not consistantly.

Old
01-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Well again, I think the "obvious" hasn't worked terribly well this season either.

At least, not consistantly.
For the second line, I agree that is true..But the 3rd and 4th lines have been a chaotic cluster**** all year..Partly because of trying to fill the 2nd line hole but also because Renney's decisions have also sbotaged any chemisty for the 3rd and 4th line...Instead of one messed up line, we have 3...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 03:03 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

IDK what is with Renney. I wonder if he's doing this to force Sather to make trades. It makes no sense to me. Last year nothing like this ever happened. I don't remember Ward ever on the first line last year. What has Renney become an idiot in one year or is Jagr running the show now?

If Straka is out (which is not 100% yet), then I'd hope for something like this
Prucha - Nylander - Jagr
Hossa - Cullen - Shanny
Insert whomever you want here

Also scratching Pock makes no sense. I hope it's as Sam said and that Sather is trying to showcase Rachunek.

All we can hope is that some of these 4th liners get moved soon and that more guys from hartford can come up.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Im not concerned with the first line at all because i TRULY believe Jason Ward is a better player than we see. I think he does have the skill to be a 2nd line player in this league. Crap on me all you want, but thats what I think. What does bother me though is Betts and Shanahan playing on the 2nd line together. After the last time they played together, if im not mistaken, BOTH players came out to the press saying that Betts (in essence) didnt belong on that line. I know Betts said that almost verbatim. Betts is a decent 4th line center, thats where he should play. Cullen and prucha and orts actually sounds like a pretty decent line, i can live with it. but it should be hollweg betts and hall on the 4th line. and the 2nd line i could live with something like shanahan hossa dubinsky.

we would, in essence have a top line, 2 3rd lines, and a 4th line.

to me thats better than the weird frankenstein 2nd and 4th lines we have now.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 03:31 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
actually jagr has asked for ward to be on his line before... like when nylander was hurt, so i dont think this is so much renney as it is jagr wanting him there
Messier 2.0

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
DutchShamrock

Unless they are showcasing Ward, Betts, Hossa and Krog, these combinations make no sense at all.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 06:57 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Honestly, the thing that disturbs me more than ANYTHING about Renney this year is his love affair with Betts. Why the **** is he at 2nd line center?
This goes back to being comfortable and rather failing with what you know that trying anything out of the comfort zone. He has never been able to wrap his arms around the idea that Betts is no better than a 4th liner. THAT little fact has screwed up more line combinations than anything else.

Prucha being behind Hossa & Ward is too much. The comfort that Renney seems to get from 4th liners and waiver-level players is head-scratching. Without Straka, every line has at least one 4th liner or a waiver-level player.

And there is simply no way to rationalize how it is that Pock sits and Malik continues to play.

Last edited by True Blue: 01-26-2007 at 07:04 PM.
True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 07:10 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Wow. I'm so glad I'm going to get to see this horror show in person.

Ward isn't bad, but top line winger? Are Jagr and Shanny's ineffectiveness together on the powerplay enough to not even think about pairing them together?

And I like Betts, but second line? Then again, considering how Cullen's played this year, maybe it's worth a shot. I don't think Krog offers anything putting him there at least from the last game.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
The sad thing is, some of these lines might actually click. But we'll never know since they get broken up every 2 periods when the team hits a speedbump.

Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:39 PM
squilber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLV View Post
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

J. Ward - Nylander - Jagr

Hossa - Betts - Shanahan

Prucha - Cullen - Ortmeyer

Hollweg - Krog - Adam Hall

This is just disturbing.

If that's our lines, we're in big trouble. Our coach is clueless if thinks this is the answer. The intimidating Jason Ward starting on the first line? Hossa and Betts on line 2? Krog? Hall?

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:47 PM
squilber

I had a lot of hope going into this season, but with each passing day, it's fading fast. Sather and Renney really need to go...Dolan please sell. You guys may laugh, but we need Steinbrenner to buy the Rangers, he would turn things around and get the right guys in charge. I'm serious.

squilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Levitate

You know, I never really paid attention when the Rangers picked up Krog, but I just saw his AHL stats and holy crap.

It's no wonder teams want to take a bit of a flyer on him, he was tearing up the AHL like nothing else. Maybe it was just good linemates or something, but he had impressive numbers.

Old
01-26-2007, 09:38 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
New Info!

I read on a different blog that Renney has super secret lines that he's going to use come crunch time when the Rangers are really desperate for points towards the end of the season. It's basically a barely-legal (Bettman wants Buffalo to get their 1st Cup so he'll try to stop Renney from dressing this stacked lineup) "Dominance Lineup" that is expected to destroy and embarrass any team that tries to match its depth and skill. They're not even supposed to be out in the public but the guy who writes the blog saw them in Renney's office and took a pic with his cell phone camera and then snuck out really quick. Here they are:

Ortmeyer - J. Ward - Orr
Lessard - Betts - Glenn Anderson
Hollweg - Krog - Jessiman
Hall - Al Trautwig - Orr

Malik - Purinton
Pock - Liffiton
Rachunek - Ward

Yes, Orr gets double-shifted because he is a gamebreaker. Sather just needs to sign Anderson and Trautwig then they'll be in the lineup. Shanahan and Nylander get waived because they are too skilled, Prucha and Tyutin are sent down to Hartford and Jagr quits the team after seeing how awesome the lines are (he doesn't want to ruin the chemistry). Renney loves Malik's heart so he gets the captaincy, Jessiman and Trautwig get the A's. Rozsival is the 7th defenseman.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 09:54 PM
VEGASRANGERFAN

I cannot figure out for the life of me figure out how someone like Pock can sit while someone like Malik, arguably the worst defenseman, hasn't been benched once! He MUST have some kind of photos of Renney with another woman or something, there is just no other explanation!

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 10:03 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

im speechless.

I've been busy the last 3 days attending services for my grandfather who passed away last saturday and i havent been on the board, quite honestly im not surprised but holy crap i just dont get it.

The Rangers never fail in making me shake my head.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Trautwig throws a mean hipcheck.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:03 AM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
I am really disturbed by why the only defenseman we have that can carry the puck from end to end is: 1) not on the 1st PP unit 2) gets scratched in situations like this, at least sit Rachunek, I looked at Maliks +/- stats in segments and for the life of me I can not figure out how he does it.

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Ola

Quote:
Part of me feels that it doesn't even really matter what the lines are, because they've been ineffective regardless of who's playing where.

Really, until the Rangers can find a 2nd line center somewhere, the lines are just going to be ugly...
I agree, its easy to point out the flaws, though its harder to put together something that "makes sense".

Quite frankly Prucha-Nylander-Jagr aren't gooing to work longterm, Petr have not shown that he can replace Straka's backcheck on that line, and with Rozival and Malik out there with them its not a option to not have someone there that can provide that.

Shanahan aren't scoring with Cullen, and Prucha-Cullen-Shanahan have been pused back more in their own end then they have provided offense. Now Shanahan are played on a checking line, wheter a reporter puts a 2 or 3 infront of them thats the "checking line".

Prucha instead gets, pretty much, a free offensive role, along with Cullen, while Orts are assigned to back them up. Prucha scored playing with Betts and Ward last season, and when he didn't score he were still a threat on a regular basis, he still created offense, he won pucks with his forecheck. Now he got Cullen next to him, thats big upgrade, and both he and Cullen got allot of defensive backup from Orts, so that they can concentrate on offense.

Shanahan got 2 goals the last 19 games, like 17 of them he have played with Cullen, 5 with Prucha and Cullen. Can anyone explain to me why they are getting a "stroke" for Renney not reuniting them???

Shanahan were forced to concentrate allot on defense with Cullen, almost more on defense then on offense. It worked early, especially when he capatilized on the PP, because quite frankly besides 4-5 games this season they have not made any kind of impace offensivly. With Betts atleast our 2nd best scorer can concentrate on offense, and Hossa and Betts who have been really good defensivly, and at getting the puck downlow, might get some edge in Shanahan.

In a ideel world, Betts defenitly aren't centering Shanahan, he should be on a 4th line. In a ideel world Prucha got someone who can deliver him the puck, and someone who thinks the game like him and can provide enough defense, or Prucha himself learns to play that role.

Though this isn't a ideel world. If the options are Cullen & Shanahan it only speaks in one direction.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 07:21 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by squilber View Post
If that's our lines, we're in big trouble. Our coach is clueless if thinks this is the answer. The intimidating Jason Ward starting on the first line? Hossa and Betts on line 2? Krog? Hall?
I agree. If the Rangers field those lines in Philadelphia today then they are handed a loss before the game even starts.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 02:35 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

They looked good and worked....let's try and stick with it for a bit here without changes with the only possible change being Ward-Orr for Hall

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 04:48 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Back Tonight!

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote