HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Remember that time Derek Stepan was good?

Old
01-14-2014, 08:39 PM
RiffyNYR61

vCash: 500
Remember that time Derek Stepan was good?

So about Stepan… he's not very good at hockey.

RiffyNYR61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Two Tone Malone
Let Blaine Die

Dude is great defensively. Putrid at faceoffs. Absolutely lost offensively this year.

Two Tone Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 08:45 PM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
and Team USA wants this bum on their team for the olympics?

(and please dont waste time saying he has talent yada yada. He has played like a bum the entire year, period.)

The Lunatic Fridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 08:48 PM
OverTheCap

I mentioned the other day that Stepan's back to what he was before 2012-13, a second line center. I'm generally critical of Sather but it was a shrewd move to give him a bridge contract instead of a long-term contract like some Rangers fans were clamoring for. Stepan had a nice stretch of games last year where he looked like a legitimate first line center but it was always going to be awfully hard for him to maintain a 70-point pace in a full season.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Machinehead
Girardi's Corgi

vCash: 50
He was never good. He had a great 30 games last year. Other than that he's been a ghost that sponges up secondary assists his whole career.

01-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Clausewitz

The talent is there; the execution, for whatever reason, isn't. Nor do I see urgency. Finally, he needs to improve his skating, and working out with CK or another fitness nut might help him in that respect.

In short, unless he changes his habits, he won't realize his potential.

Clausewitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

when his linemates are going, generally he is going.

Nash was blah tonight, and Kreider was so-so

The 3rd line were monsters tonight, as was the richards line (but slightly less so)

if i were the coach, that 3rd line would have seen 25 minutes of ice time. they were dominant.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:06 PM
theFiGS

Yuppp been saying it since summer he'll be nothing more than a 2C. Everyone went crazy over his season last year in a shortened season when everyone lit it up last year. We need a real 1C to play with Nash and Kreider

theFiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Clausewitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFiGS View Post
Yuppp been saying it since summer he'll be nothing more than a 2C. Everyone went crazy over his season last year in a shortened season when everyone lit it up last year. We need a real 1C to play with Nash and Kreider
This. DS will likely be a (20-25)G and (35-40)A two-way forward -- which isn't bad by any means. But it certainly isn't 1C material.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clausewitz View Post
This. DS will likely be a (20-25)G and (35-40)A two-way forward -- which isn't bad by any means. But it certainly isn't 1C material.
Agreed. On a deep team he is the ideal 2nd line center.

Hoping for him to evolve into a 75-80 point center, on an annual basis, is a little too optimistic for me. I think the Rangers will eventually need to find a top line center who is a game breaker.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

High as hell on him last year, really disappointed so far.

I definitely don't think he's this bad, but, wow. He's been awful.

01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post

Hoping for him to evolve into a 75-80 point center, on an annual basis, is a little too optimistic for me. I think the Rangers will eventually need to find a top line center who is a game breaker.
Joe Thornton?

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:15 PM
JCrusher*

Yes i understand his defense is still good which is important but at some point you would like to see him have a nice 5-6 game stretch offensively. One thing that hurts him is that he is a truly terrible skater. I mean Taylor Pyatt may be faster that Stepan lol. Also his passing has been atrocious. Kreider has been more impressive passing and thats not his job its stepans

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Look I've said it since his rookie year he's not a 1C, you can only get by on IQ for so long. Truth is he's a lousy skater, has a lousy shot, and is weak. Just stare at him and he'll give up his lunch money.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Clausewitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post

Exactly. Hopefully, if we pursue him through UFA or trade, he'll be well under 30 -- though I'd rather he be internally-developed.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:33 PM
TheDirtyH

He's still really young, and I think is learning his role. I hate to start with that sentence, but when I open a thread and the first thing I read is he's not very good at hockey, I feel somebody's gotta represent the other side. I can't argue that he's having a rough go this season, he's been extremely disappointing and especially on the rush I almost don't want him on the ice because me and everyone else in the universe knows he's gonna pass whether or not the pass is there. To me, it looks like he's forcing the pass too much during a year where he's already fighting it offensively. His speed isn't what it was last year, but it's not as if he can't keep up with the play.

My feelings on Stepan are this: every season since we've drafted him he has improved substantially. He has excellent playmaking skills, and his ability to pick off passes, pursue the puck, and generally regain possession are already, in my opinion, near elite (as in the number of center more effective at those facets of the game are countable on one or two hands). I think this is a step back, but I think Stepan will be a top center in the league before long.

Also, I hope those posters referencing his great season last year and writing it off as a fluke aren't the same ones who have been endlessly ******** on Lundqvist's rough go this season. Can't have one or the other imo...

TheDirtyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:40 PM
JHS

I was at the game tonight vs Tampa and he is absolutely not able to play the level hokey he needs to be playing. He is much slower than any of the players around him. He's slower to react, slower to make a decision and has absolutely no foot speed or quickness. It honestly reminds me of the way Richards looked last season. It's very noticeable in person but he still has tremendous potential and, while I'm sure he should not be a number one center I do think he is a useful player.

JHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

+1 - this guys is a bone fide dud this season

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:47 PM
nevesis

He is probably one of the worst skaters I have ever seen, and his hands are nonexistent. His value is extremely overrated by the fans and organization due to his point production the past few years.

Sather gave him a bridge contract for a reason.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Seven C0stanza

It's time to sit him for a game or 2 or 10

Seven C0stanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Hockeyplayer99

Here we go again with the Stepan hate, he can make a perfect pass but if his linemates dont' finish, what do you want him to do. He is a passer, not a scorer, that is why we have Nash, but when Nash can't score after Stepan feeds him with a perfect pass, its Stepans fault not Nash. Its always the Defense fault that Lundqvist can't make a routine save, when every other goalie makes a save. The love for Hank and the hate for Stepan is ridiculous, Cally love but he doesn't do much but take a penelty which kills our momentum and loses us the game, but he is great cause he is the captain.

Hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 09:54 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer99 View Post
Here we go again with the Stepan hate, he can make a perfect pass but if his linemates dont' finish, what do you want him to do. He is a passer, not a scorer, that is why we have Nash, but when Nash can't score after Stepan feeds him with a perfect pass, its Stepans fault not Nash. Its always the Defense fault that Lundqvist can't make a routine save, when every other goalie makes a save. The love for Hank and the hate for Stepan is ridiculous, Cally love but he doesn't do much but take a penelty which kills our momentum and loses us the game, but he is great cause he is the captain.

Um...how many perfect passes has he made? Not many. Hell Kreider has been a more impressive passer this year.

Old
01-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Dactyl*
stats are pure CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer99 View Post
I'm a huge Stepan fan but he's been awful. honestly he's gotten off easy from the fans, Hank been bashed to no end and so has Cally. Bothe of those 2 actually had good games today.

Dactyl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:01 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
I'm a huge Stepan fan but he's been awful. honestly he's gotten off easy from the fans, Hank been bashed to no end and so has Cally. Bothe of those 2 actually had good games today.

Agreed. Stepan has gotten a pass from a lot of fans. In fact many times i have questioned his passing skills this year and people tell me what a terrific passer he is. yet every game this season i watch him fumble passes all the time

Old
01-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
i dont think hes been awful...I think he's been mediocre. there's a difference.

before the columbus game, Rick Nash was AWFUL....Stepan has just sorta been a filler player this year.

which sucks since hes basically our best forward.

Brassard has bee really really good the past few weeks.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote