HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Can't believe what I've been Hearing

Old
01-27-2007, 01:48 AM
Sorting this mess

vCash: 500
Can't believe what I've been Hearing

In the last few days there have been two fairly reasonable sounding rumors involving us trading with Nashville and Boston. We'd give up, (off the top of my head)
-Smyth, Pouliot, Bergeron
-Horcoff, Bergeron, 2nd rounder

and receive respectively,

-Stuart, Sturm, Bergeron
-Weber, Erat

Downside is that we can't trade Bergeron twice........too bad.
However Nashville is looking more for a veteran dman so I'd think we could work something out with Staios going instead. That may even be better because Weber is a Right D so we'd already have a space for him.

Granted these are both rumors and someone said we're not talking with Boston etc. But if there is a possibility here, does anyone else see this really helping our team now and for the future. I'd love to see how Hemsky and P. Bergeron would perform together. It also gives us an awesome first pairing for the future with Smid and Weber. Less pressure on Smid so we possibly don't stunt his growth. Also P Bergeron can generate offense on his own, something Smyth and Horcoff aren't as good at.

If we need to sweeten the pot we can do it. Dangle Schremp to Boston, then he gets to play for an American city and we're horrible at developing offensive players anyway. We have the resources to get this done.

We would become a very powerful team in the near furure.

Sorting this mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Patrice Bergeron will not be traded, he is basically their Ales Hemsky, and much like Hemsky, just signed long term with his club.

Pouliot and Bergeron don't have enough upside, and Smyth will only give them 20 games before taking a dip in the UFA pool.

Mowzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 01:56 AM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorting this mess View Post
In the last few days there have been two fairly reasonable sounding rumors involving us trading with Nashville and Boston. We'd give up, (off the top of my head)
-Smyth, Pouliot, Bergeron
-Horcoff, Bergeron, 2nd rounder

and receive respectively,

-Stuart, Sturm, Bergeron
-Weber, Erat

Downside is that we can't trade Bergeron twice........too bad.
However Nashville is looking more for a veteran dman so I'd think we could work something out with Staios going instead. That may even be better because Weber is a Right D so we'd already have a space for him.

Granted these are both rumors and someone said we're not talking with Boston etc. But if there is a possibility here, does anyone else see this really helping our team now and for the future. I'd love to see how Hemsky and P. Bergeron would perform together. It also gives us an awesome first pairing for the future with Smid and Weber. Less pressure on Smid so we possibly don't stunt his growth. Also P Bergeron can generate offense on his own, something Smyth and Horcoff aren't as good at.

If we need to sweeten the pot we can do it. Dangle Schremp to Boston, then he gets to play for an American city and we're horrible at developing offensive players anyway. We have the resources to get this done.

We would become a very powerful team in the near furure.
Are you drunk??

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 02:03 AM
Sorting this mess

The deals can be changed around, that's the GM's job, but right now Bergeron is Boston's #2 center and he's on a contract with a very steep increase, it's possible Boston would rather have the assets. maybe more than Pouliot but MAB being a decent point producer when used right and making less than a million for another two seasons is a very good bargaining chip.

Old
01-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Sorting this mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
Are you drunk??
After tonight's loss, I think there's more than a few Oil fans who are probably with us in that regard.

Old
01-27-2007, 02:21 AM
Spawn

The Oilers would do both in a heartbeat, but Nashville and Boston would do neither.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Sorting this mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The Oilers would do both in a heartbeat, but Nashville and Boston would do neither.
That's why I said we could sweeten the pot (and yes, probably would have to) but I'd say it would be well worth it.
Nashville has a plethor of young defensman and Boston would get something for their UFA's

Last edited by Sorting this mess: 01-27-2007 at 02:39 AM.
Old
01-27-2007, 02:37 AM
Magnus

If either of these deals were actually on the table, they would have been done yesterday.

Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 02:40 AM
Sorting this mess

Wouldn't it be sweet to tap Lowe's phone so we knew EVERYTHING that was actually on the table?