HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2014, 11:58 PM
  #1
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Brad Richards

The wonderful case of Brad Richards. He's quietly putting together a decent year, albeit not fantastic. Creeping his way towards "acceptable" in terms of his stats/cap hit. I'm surprised it hasn't come up more often, but what do we do with his cap space assuming he's bought out? We can't trade him; is there any chance Glen hangs onto him?

For me, I buy him out all day long and make a major pitch for Stastny/Grabovski/Thornton. Stastny seems to be the most likely guy at this point as it doesn't look too promising that the latter 2 guys are going anywhere

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 12:04 AM
  #2
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,199
vCash: 500
We'll probably blow it all on Stastny who I'm not sure if a better player currently than Richards.

Statsny isn't worth 6-7 but he'll get it somewhere because the market is absolute balls.

Of course that leaves us kinda trapped because we can't go forward with Stepan at 1C. This is what happens when you can't draft.

__________________
Official 2014-15 Dan Girardi Own Goal Tally: 0

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 12:25 AM
  #3
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
I actually think Stastny is a better player than people think, completely unrelated to him ever playing here.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:45 AM
  #4
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,872
vCash: 500
He's getting bought out unless he has a 120 point season, which clearly isn't happening.

If we sign Stastny in free agency I'll flip my ****ing desk.

__________________
Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:47 AM
  #5
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
We'll probably blow it all on Stastny who I'm not sure if a better player currently than Richards.

Statsny isn't worth 6-7 but he'll get it somewhere because the market is absolute balls.

Of course that leaves us kinda trapped because we can't go forward with Stepan at 1C. This is what happens when you can't draft.
I don't agree. The only realistic #1 centers that this team passed up over the years in the draft were Getzlaf and Giroux. Where this team has drafted, actual #1 centers aren't realistically available. They aren't one of those commodities that you can find in the later rounds anymore, either.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 05:42 AM
  #6
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
I don't agree. The only realistic #1 centers that this team passed up over the years in the draft were Getzlaf and Giroux. Where this team has drafted, actual #1 centers aren't realistically available. They aren't one of those commodities that you can find in the later rounds anymore, either.
Right. In which alternate universe are these bonafide #1 centers dropping to where the Rangers could realistically pick them up? Just going to name some ones off the top of my head.

Crosby: 1st overall
Stamkos: 1st
Toews: 3rd
Malkin: 2nd
Kopitar: 11th
Taveres: 1st
Backstrom: 4th
Spezza: 2nd
Duchene: 3rd
Sedin: 3rd
E. Staal: 2nd


Sure, a few slipped through the cracks like a Giroux or Getzlaf. Sometimes that happens. Twenty-one teams passed on Giroux, so it's not like NYR just totally dropped the ball on an obvious pick. Similar deal with Getzlaf. You're not going to find many centers drafted outside the top 50 picks that are better than Derek Stepan. A few, sure. But not many. I'm sure Gordie Clark has wet dreams about drafting a Huberdeau or Seguin or Skinner. He can't do **** about it until Sather puts him in a position to make that selection.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 06:15 AM
  #7
The Undertaker
Registered User
 
The Undertaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 615
vCash: 500
Is it possible to buy out Richards and sign him on a more friendly deal...or is that completely otherworldly on both parties accounts?

The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 06:16 AM
  #8
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
He's getting bought out unless he has a 120 point season, which clearly isn't happening.

If we sign Stastny in free agency I'll flip my ****ing desk.
The people making the decision on BR last season obviously don't feel like this.

Agreed about Stastny, getting him would mean that we have to out-bid everyone else at a point where everyone have cap-space and like 27 teams desperately are looking to improve. That would be setting him up to fail, like we did with Gomez, Drury and many others.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 06:18 AM
  #9
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Undertaker View Post
Is it possible to buy out Richards and sign him on a more friendly deal...or is that completely otherworldly on both parties accounts?
nope, not allowed

We could -- mayby -- trade him now to someone that will buy him out and then resign him, but I am not even sure if that would work.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 06:21 AM
  #10
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Right. In which alternate universe are these bonafide #1 centers dropping to where the Rangers could realistically pick them up? Just going to name some ones off the top of my head.

Crosby: 1st overall
Stamkos: 1st
Toews: 3rd
Malkin: 2nd
Kopitar: 11th
Taveres: 1st
Backstrom: 4th
Spezza: 2nd
Duchene: 3rd
Sedin: 3rd
E. Staal: 2nd
Good point, and don't forget that half the board adds that they only want one of the centers above "that have size". Lets get a top center with size for once.

From my point of view, I am just scpetical that we really will get all these wonderful pieces by dumping G and Cally to like Anaheim and Boston. So many believe that we will be able to not only replace what we give up, but take several steps forward by the return we would get. I have a hard time seing that.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 07:02 AM
  #11
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,031
vCash: 500
he's been fine, but not a difference maker. rarely do you say Brad Richards was the Rangers best player on the ice.

gotta buy him out.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 07:04 AM
  #12
The Undertaker
Registered User
 
The Undertaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
nope, not allowed

We could -- mayby -- trade him now to someone that will buy him out and then resign him, but I am not even sure if that would work.
thx

I wouldn't mind retaining on a much lesser of a deal but if there is no other outcome possible then a buyout at his current hit is necessary.

The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:19 AM
  #13
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,252
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
The people making the decision on BR last season obviously don't feel like this.

Agreed about Stastny, getting him would mean that we have to out-bid everyone else at a point where everyone have cap-space and like 27 teams desperately are looking to improve. That would be setting him up to fail, like we did with Gomez, Drury and many others.
I think the ONE (Sather) person that decided on not buying Richards out last summer did so with the hopes that he would revert back to his pre-NYR signing days of being an offensive leader.

He's not that.

I also do not believe that Sather had any real intention of buying the guy out after one poor season, a shortened season at that.

However, on a go forward basis, with the cap recapture issue and the overall decline in his play which has come back somewhat this season, I have no doubt that the financial risks to the team in years 6-7-8-9 will far outweigh the rewards provided thus far and in years 4 and 5.

There's no justification for keeping a declining player at 6.66 per.

He's 33 now, will be 34 before the season is over.

You don't sign fading 34 year old players to contracts that are 6 years in term with a cap hit of 6.66 per.

Keeping him beyond this season is doing exactly that.

Richards has received 33 of his 60 million during the first three seasons of the deal. He hasn't provided the bang for the buck. Unless he is providing 60 point seasons in years 7, 8 and 9 he's not ever going to live of to the contract. Assuming for course he's actually playing at that age.

Financially it makes no sense to keep him here.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:22 AM
  #14
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Your expectations have been lowered. In his season last year where everyone wanted his head on a stake, he had 34 points in 46 games. This year, he has 35 in 48.

His PP TOI a game has gone up as well.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:34 AM
  #15
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,252
vCash: 873
deleted post is deleted

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:38 AM
  #16
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 30,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
We'll probably blow it all on Stastny who I'm not sure if a better player currently than Richards.

Statsny isn't worth 6-7 but he'll get it somewhere because the market is absolute balls.

Of course that leaves us kinda trapped because we can't go forward with Stepan at 1C. This is what happens when you can't draft.

Yeah okay now.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:35 AM
  #17
DekeR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
The only problem I have with the Richards contract is the length. Considering the cost to replace a 20+G and 65+pts player will cost about the same with the cap increasing.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:37 AM
  #18
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 8,469
vCash: 500
He's garbage. Can't wait till he is bought out.

nevesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:43 AM
  #19
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Richards has been important on the PP but is not a part of this teams long term plans. NYR got a break in getting the 3 years out of Brad they wanted, and have the opportunity to let him go for no cap hit.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:47 AM
  #20
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
He's garbage. Can't wait till he is bought out.
The "garbage" who is leading our team in goals. Not that it's a major feat given our roster, but stop being dramatic. There's a difference between being overpaid and "garbage." If he was signed at a 2 year/5M deal everyone would be very happy


Last edited by Hurt: 01-15-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: keep your posts forum appropriate
TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 10:03 AM
  #21
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Your expectations have been lowered. In his season last year where everyone wanted his head on a stake, he had 34 points in 46 games. This year, he has 35 in 48.

His PP TOI a game has gone up as well.
It's not all about stats. Last year he significantly upped his production in 1 month where he stumbled into a bunch of points. He's playing much better this year.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 10:16 AM
  #22
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Richards has been important on the PP but is not a part of this teams long term plans. NYR got a break in getting the 3 years out of Brad they wanted, and have the opportunity to let him go for no cap hit.
hes not been nearly as good on the PP as I'd like...its nice that he will shoot the puck, but for the most part, he's just touch passing it to guys who do the heavy lifting...

MZA makes much better passes than he does.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 10:47 AM
  #23
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Yeah okay now.
What in his post do you not agree with? When you don't draft top end talent you have to get it through free agency when guys are 28/29. I don't see what's "shake head worthy" about that fact

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 10:51 AM
  #24
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
hes not been nearly as good on the PP as I'd like...its nice that he will shoot the puck, but for the most part, he's just touch passing it to guys who do the heavy lifting...

MZA makes much better passes than he does.
MZA and Brassard have been what made the PP click, for sure. Pouliot has some good finishes but is still not the kind of physical presence in front of the net I'd like.

Still, Richards will need a point replacement. Though he has not been good, he has been better than any other Ranger forward on the point over the years (Cullen, Kotalik, Stepan, Zuccarello.)

Greg Carey can play the point but it isn't his best PP position. I don't see many guys available in FA that can handle that. What it may come down to is asking John Moore to partner with McDonagh on the top PP and go from there.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 10:58 AM
  #25
Calad
Section 422
 
Calad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
Dan Boyle (RH top2-4 dman) seems like an obvious person to try and replace what Richards is doing for the PP. Though I've liked the job hes done so far this year

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.