HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montoya - Hot, Hot, Hot

Old
01-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Balej...

I'm only predicting that based on Renney's track record alone...

Last season, he favored Weekes for a long time before he would concede that Lundqvist should be #1....

He favored Rucinsky while he was healthy over Prucha even when Prucha was red hot...

This season he favored the veteran inept defenseman (Malik, Kaspar, Rachunek, Ozolinsh) when they're healthy over Pock despite Pock playing fairly solid....

Prucha gets demoted for lack of production while Cullen gets left alone....

Etc. Etc....

To me all signs point to Renney relying on a veteran goaltender to back up Lundqvist next season... Will that be Weekes? I don't know....

Perhaps Valiquette....
I agree with you.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 01:18 AM
MrAlfie

my guts are telling me weekes will sign with the blues next year, so that will open up the backup spot, it should move up montoya , then it makes valiquette number one down in hartford and the rangers will draft another goalie, depending on how good he is he will backup vali or will be a startrt in charlotte and swap positions with holt once in a while.
well.. thats how i want it to be...

then lets wait 2 or 3 years with our lundy-monty tandem and see who we keep

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:09 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

There 2 possible options next year, have Valiquette as the backup, Montoya playing the majority of the games in Hartford. Then around Thanksgiving when he has shown to master his consistency, recall him to the NYRs and waive Valiquette bak to Hartford. The 2nd choice is for Montoya to start the season next year witht he NYRs.

There is nothing wrong with having both Lundqvist and Montoya with the big team. One will push the other IF Montoya shows he is NHL ready. That is what you want, players pushing each other for playing time, not being given playing time because the coach does not have any other options.

I know many of us pontificate that we know as much as the paid professionals on here, but, until I see the pay stubs, I go with the guys who get paid to do this. I too have questioned Renney's use this year of players and I realize that he is doing such because he truly believes he doesn't have other options. I buy that for now, and have backed off. But, I've seen Pock improve to the point where I think he needs to be given a further and more intense look. We will now see what happens with Girardi. I dislike Pock sitting out. My hope is this is the last chance for Malik.
For all we know some other team may very well be interested in Malik! Stranger things have happened.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Pack fans don't always seem to like him
I really like Montoya, but I can understand them too.

The A and O of playing between the pipes today is to never sell yourself, to never overcommit, to always stay square to the puck, and if you play behind even a mediocre defense to make sure to take away the low parts of the net, since its really hard to get off high shots from good angles against a well collected D.

Montoya don't really play great in any of thoose aspects. He stands up and challenge shooters more then any other young goalie I have seen in a long time.

Though he is still decent, and that is kind of what makes me belives in him. Correcting thoose aspects is something all goalies over 30 have been force to do, thats not hard.

He got a great body, he got great athletisisim, he got really good reflexes, he is really good challenging shooters.

Montoya must get his positional game in order, he must start playing more of a modern game, but when he do that I think the product will be really well.

I am not the person to say if Montoya should be in the NHL or the AHL next season, can't say I know much about goalies. But its obivious that he is playing better and better in HFD. That he is improving and gooing in the right direction. Wheter he is ready next season, or the season after that, I think Montoya is a great asset, who is sometimes forgotten.

I just can't see him not having great value if he correct his flaws and comes in as a backup in the NHL and post good numbers. The return we can get for him could fill some big holes in this organization.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:13 AM
wereback

Let's be honest....Lundy had one great year and one so so year.....i think this job is open for competition next year.

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:25 AM
bleedrngrblue

The only way Montoya should not come up next season as the backup, is if they bring SV up instead , and commit to Montoya in Hartford as the number one to see how he does with a full season of work. If they can't do that, then just bring him up as Lundy's backup, and let the competition begin. There is no avoiding it, we need to see who the Goalie of the future is.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
My hope is this is the last chance for Malik.
For all we know some other team may very well be interested in Malik! Stranger things have happened.
Yeah like Brian Burke who was the GM in Hartford when Malik was drafted and Burke traded for Malik in Vancouver.Burke and Slats are close friends and the Rangers and Ducks have made three trades in the new NHL

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Another factor with Montoya is possible expansion.The NHL may look to expand with two more teams to make it 32 teams 4 divisions/8 teams.In the last expansion,teams could only protect one goaltender.The NHL owners want the extra $300-400 million in expansion fees

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Nich

call up valquiette (whatever) and let monty take 70 games with holt getting the rest.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:31 AM
funky

Or another solution, trade him while he is hot and his stock is up.

L.A is in a rough situation where they need goaltending sooner then later. They have Bernier whom they picked in the first round last draft and a ton of forward prospects such as former 1st rounder and Korpikoski linemate, Lauri Tukonen. Bernier may not turn out as great as Montoya, but looking at his season he may be just as good or better, we wont know for 10 years. Tukonen is a projected 2nd line power forward with a safegaurd og a 3rd line banger that has great offensive insticts. Has great size and speed and is rebounding from last years shoulder injury.

L.A is also a seller and Rangers no matter if we like it or not, will be buyers if they are looking at a cup run.

My Solution as I am a fan of both teams and want the Rangers to win the cup and L.A to get the 2nd overall pick is to unite as trade partners.

To L.A

Montoya - Big name prospect, almost ready to split season in NHL
Weekes - Big contract back up
Rachunek - former anticipated prospect, floundering, rebound in L.A?
Hall - big slow bodied salary dump, fit on L.A for future Conroy departure

To NYR

Norstrom - Solid defensive dman, leader, big contract, solidifying results
Garon- Hot in back up role, cheap contract, can play solid streaks
Bernier - solid 1st round pick, Lundqvists future back up
Tukonen - solid 1st round pick, future 2nd line PF, or skilled 3rd line big body

L.A - keeps the rebuild and stocks up in their weakest position, Goal and Defence. Gets Weekes to help the older Burke for the rest of the year.
NYR - Playoff calibre dman, cheaper younger back up, 1st round pick with a great year but 3 years away to make up for the loss of Montoya. The bonus is Tukonen who has played with Korpikoski and was rated just ahead of him. A reunion could do wonders for both. Worst case scenorio, the Rangers gain a hell of a checking line with the two reunited and Dubinsky. All three able to do spot duty on the second line.

NHL contracts- To NYR = 5 mil this year 4.25 next, 5 if the re up Garon
To L.A = 4.8 next year, 2 mil to requlify Rachunek, 1 mil for Montoya

funky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:38 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I really like Montoya, but I can understand them too.

The A and O of playing between the pipes today is to never sell yourself, to never overcommit, to always stay square to the puck, and if you play behind even a mediocre defense to make sure to take away the low parts of the net, since its really hard to get off high shots from good angles against a well collected D.

Montoya don't really play great in any of thoose aspects. He stands up and challenge shooters more then any other young goalie I have seen in a long time.

Though he is still decent, and that is kind of what makes me belives in him. Correcting thoose aspects is something all goalies over 30 have been force to do, thats not hard.

He got a great body, he got great athletisisim, he got really good reflexes, he is really good challenging shooters.

Montoya must get his positional game in order, he must start playing more of a modern game, but when he do that I think the product will be really well.

I am not the person to say if Montoya should be in the NHL or the AHL next season, can't say I know much about goalies. But its obivious that he is playing better and better in HFD. That he is improving and gooing in the right direction. Wheter he is ready next season, or the season after that, I think Montoya is a great asset, who is sometimes forgotten.

I just can't see him not having great value if he correct his flaws and comes in as a backup in the NHL and post good numbers. The return we can get for him could fill some big holes in this organization.
Regardless of his style, Ola, it's hard to argue with a .936 save percentage and 2 SOs over the last 10 games...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:39 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Or another solution, trade him while he is hot and his stock is up.

L.A is in a rough situation where they need goaltending sooner then later. They have Bernier whom they picked in the first round last draft and a ton of forward prospects such as former 1st rounder and Korpikoski linemate, Lauri Tukonen. Bernier may not turn out as great as Montoya, but looking at his season he may be just as good or better, we wont know for 10 years. Tukonen is a projected 2nd line power forward with a safegaurd og a 3rd line banger that has great offensive insticts. Has great size and speed and is rebounding from last years shoulder injury.

L.A is also a seller and Rangers no matter if we like it or not, will be buyers if they are looking at a cup run.

My Solution as I am a fan of both teams and want the Rangers to win the cup and L.A to get the 2nd overall pick is to unite as trade partners.

To L.A

Montoya - Big name prospect, almost ready to split season in NHL
Weekes - Big contract back up
Rachunek - former anticipated prospect, floundering, rebound in L.A?
Hall - big slow bodied salary dump, fit on L.A for future Conroy departure

To NYR

Norstrom - Solid defensive dman, leader, big contract, solidifying results
Garon- Hot in back up role, cheap contract, can play solid streaks
Bernier - solid 1st round pick, Lundqvists future back up
Tukonen - solid 1st round pick, future 2nd line PF, or skilled 3rd line big body

L.A - keeps the rebuild and stocks up in their weakest position, Goal and Defence. Gets Weekes to help the older Burke for the rest of the year.
NYR - Playoff calibre dman, cheaper younger back up, 1st round pick with a great year but 3 years away to make up for the loss of Montoya. The bonus is Tukonen who has played with Korpikoski and was rated just ahead of him. A reunion could do wonders for both. Worst case scenorio, the Rangers gain a hell of a checking line with the two reunited and Dubinsky. All three able to do spot duty on the second line.

NHL contracts- To NYR = 5 mil this year 4.25 next, 5 if the re up Garon
To L.A = 4.8 next year, 2 mil to requlify Rachunek, 1 mil for Montoya
It's a deal that would never happen (when was the last time goalies not playing in the NHL where swapped for eachother) but it's an interesting idea and probably works valuewise.

I havn't seen enough of Bernier or Tukonen to know if I should pull the trigger.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Another factor with Montoya is possible expansion.The NHL may look to expand with two more teams to make it 32 teams 4 divisions/8 teams.In the last expansion,teams could only protect one goaltender.The NHL owners want the extra $300-400 million in expansion fees
I think we are safe in that aspect. Lets say Montoya needs another year in the AHL, a very good league to develop goalies in, then 2 years as a back up in NY, then another year before we can find a taker, its only 2011. I doubt the NHL will have 2 new teams lined up to hit the ice before 2011.

Thats about as long as I think it might take to handle the goaliesituation, at the most. Something could defenitly happend before that.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 12:23 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I think we are safe in that aspect. Lets say Montoya needs another year in the AHL, a very good league to develop goalies in, then 2 years as a back up in NY, then another year before we can find a taker, its only 2011. I doubt the NHL will have 2 new teams lined up to hit the ice before 2011.

Thats about as long as I think it might take to handle the goaliesituation, at the most. Something could defenitly happend before that.
I think Montoya or Lundqvist will be moved before then. I can't see both of them on this team 4 years from now. Imo one of them will be dealt after next season or in the summer after the '08-'09 campaign two and a half years from now.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 12:54 PM
TheRedressor

I would hold off on Montoya, give him a cup of coffee every little while

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 02:25 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
Let's be honest....Lundy had one great year and one so so year.....i think this job is open for competition next year.
Last time i checked there was still 31 games left in this season.....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 02:30 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Unfortunately his stock won't be very high until he plays a considerable number of games in the NHL which seems unlikely with Renney at the helm....
Disagree completely. He was the 6th pick in the draft, he appears to be toying with the AHL and most importantly he would be under the control of another team for 7 years because of the free agent rules. He is a very valuable chip. That said, I'm not sure he will be traded anytime soon unless the absolutely perfect deal comes along. (i.e. Mueller, Toews or a player of similar calibre)

BP

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:09 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Regardless of his style, Ola, it's hard to argue with a .936 save percentage and 2 SOs over the last 10 games...
Those are very good figures. Doubtlessly. But in reality it is the AHL you are referring to. Henrik L is currently tied in the NHL in 13th place this year for wins and rising in the ranks of both GAA & Save %.

With such a lousy defense (to say the least - one of the worst in the NHL this year) in front of him this year. And a 3rd & 4th line only scoring 16 goals in 48 games (horrendous stats actually) and a defense with the lowest scoring of any defense in the league - especially on the PP: This is one way of not winning games.

OK - I agree he has let in too many soft goals this year and has not consistently been the clutch player he was last year. Sophomore blues or whatever?

But in 2007 his numbers (Gaa & save %) are actually very good and to compare his stats now to an AHL:er that has not been up in the big leagues as of yet is unfair in respect to both parties. Only the future will be the true revealation - but I believe he can be starting in 15 years with success if things are in order (Rick DiPetro - .,..)

Letīs just hope that his motivation last year (as it seems all Swedish players felt) was winning the Olympics - which they succeded in - and that this year he is focusing on being a factor in the playoff instead. Which I hope and believe he will be able to achieve along with some good managerial moves, coaching and luck.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Nich

i really do think they are just spliting time this year to give his shoulder a full year of healing without a heavy work load. hopefully he sees that can only help as he becomes a more seasoned pro working with the like on benoit. there fore next year is his year in Hfd...a full 70 games with valiquette either challenging for a back up role, or gone. bring up holt, and start the process for him with training constant.

but we NEED to draft another goalie, and really i wouldn;t mind two. i am thinking 1 in the 3rd or 4th, then one in the 7th. maybe dump hall for a 4th, 5th.....we'll see....maybe one college one junior goalie

plus make some rome for more kids. drop jason ward and malik for some picks or help for the current year. (center?)

then we can continue to restock the whole system.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Edge

As has been said, it's all about consistency.

Young goalies are funny in the sense that sometimes, almost like a light switch, it happens and they never look back.

NOT saying that is what has happened with Montoya here, but like many young goalies he has had to work on smoothing out the rough edges, playing consistent and developing his game.

Montoya is getting to the point where he's going to play in the NHL. Now what he becomes at the NHL level remains to be seen but at this point we at least know what that he's going to play there.

If he plays like this through February and into March, it does give the Rangers the option to trade Weekes at that point. I wouldn't however expect Montoya to be traded, non-NHL goalies simply do not bring back returns that are worth trading them.

But time will have to tell. If Montoya can perform like this through February he should get his look.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Disagree completely. He was the 6th pick in the draft, he appears to be toying with the AHL and most importantly he would be under the control of another team for 7 years because of the free agent rules. He is a very valuable chip. That said, I'm not sure he will be traded anytime soon unless the absolutely perfect deal comes along. (i.e. Mueller, Toews or a player of similar calibre)

BP
Disagree.

Teams do not trade for AHL goalies, regardless of where they are drafted.

It's not impossible someone would, but you'd be VERY hard pressed to find a big deal involving a young goalie where they weren't just a part of a package.

Old
01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

BP
He's got to prove himself in the NHL first to have the value you're attributing to him....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Edge

Quote:
He's got to prove himself in the NHL first to have the value you're attributing to him....
Unfortunatly that's the way other team's view it.

It's funny. Montoya could play 55 games over the next two years and THAT could bring more value to him as a commodity than being drafted and the 200 games he plays over the previous 4 years.

Old
01-28-2007, 04:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Unfortunatly that's the way other team's view it.

It's funny. Montoya could play 55 games over the next two years and THAT could bring more value to him as a commodity than being drafted and the 200 games he plays over the previous 4 years.
i see them resigning Weekes unfortunately.... Renney has deferred to veterans over young players under most circumstances... Can't imagine he's ready to have a 21 year old goaltender be his backup next season....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Edge

Quote:
i see them resigning Weekes unfortunately.... Renney has deferred to veterans over young players under most circumstances... Can't imagine he's ready to have a 21 year old goaltender be his backup next season....
I don't know if I can. Maybe if Weekes were putting up killer numbers as a backup but I don't know if having a 22 year old backup who has graduated from the AHL is something that would bother Renney.

Goal is a position he has allowed younger talent to win and having a 25 year old goalie and a 22 year old goalie isn't like having a 23 and a 20 year old.