HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/LAK] Oilers acquire Ben Scrivens for 3rd round pick

Old
01-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Timo

vCash: 500
Very pleased with both deals.

Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
hmm... maybe pony up a lot more and go after a Gibson \ the other goalie in LA Jones? or even Reimer.
Goalies like these are stuck behind elite goalies but could be future stars.

After this season we would be back to square 1 ... no goalies signed.. and the hunt will continue..

All MacT needed to do was wait a day or 2 and see if a GM offers a starting goalie knowing we just traded away one and need to fill that hole.
Sorry man, but I would guarantee if he ponied up and paid out for Gibson (presuming a huge leap in logic that he would even be available -- going back to my point about serious overpayment) or something of that ilk there would be a gigantic *****fest. Look at the drama queening now over these moves today... .

I don't buy it. Everyone thinks they know better but when you really ask someone about it... they come up with what you came up with (not trying to pick on you too much dude, your response is just the latest one I had read). I'm ok with this, it's for another 30 some games and then they can decide if they want to try and re-sign or look elsewhere in the off-season.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:31 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Damn. I stop checking my phone for like 2 hours and we make 2 trades...

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:32 PM
bestmyfeeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Interview with Scrivens

Reporter: So you're going to Edmonton, how do you feel?

Scrivens: It will give me opportunity to become a number 1, I think it'll be great!

Reporter: How do you feel about teaming up with your former coach, Dallas Eakins?

Scrivens: Ah, ****.
is this for real?

bestmyfeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spawn

Shuffling deck chairs.

We give up a mediocre goalie for a grossly overpaid 4th liner on a horrendous deal and bring in a mediocre goalie who looks incredible on arguably the best defensive team in the league.

MacT needs to start addressing the defense and stop worrying about the goaltending.

Maybe having Scrivens come in and look like garbage just like Bryzgalov has and just like Dubnyk has will make MacT realize this isn't a goaltending issue.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Damn. I stop checking my phone for like 2 hours and we make 2 trades...
Throw your phone out the window. We need to make more moves

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:33 PM
sawchuk1971

with the oilers making major moves today, should oil fans still continue to call for lowe's head?

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Shuffling deck chairs.

We give up a mediocre goalie for a grossly overpaid 4th liner on a horrendous deal and bring in a mediocre goalie who looks incredible on arguably the best defensive team in the league.

MacT needs to start addressing the defense and stop worrying about the goaltending.

Maybe having Scrivens come in and look like garbage just like Bryzgalov has and just like Dubnyk has will make MacT realize this isn't a goaltending issue.
Well it's really the best to assume that's the case.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:34 PM
ejams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
with the oilers making major moves today, should oil fans still continue to call for lowe's head?
I'm pretty sure Mac T is the GM.. Not Lowe.

ejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:35 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Shuffling deck chairs.

Have you watched Dubnyk play this year? It's not all him but there many, many questionable goals he let in this year.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

I really hope this helps, but I doubt it. I've liked Dubnyk but this year he struggled playing behind a team that flatout sucks. Bryz comes in and looks no better. Why should we believe Scrivens will be a big improvement? Until the backend is fixed, they are still going to be hot garbage.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BruceOp

Quote:
The old boss looking over your shoulder is never a good thing in any company.

BruceOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:36 PM
SoftDumps

vCash: 450
Quote:
Shuffling deck chairs.

Stopped reading after dubnyk and mediocre appeared in the same sentence.

1.85m will not sink the Oilers with the cap going up, lol.

In any case, I do agree with the notion that our defence is the biggest culprit.

SoftDumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Newfy IceCapd

vCash: 989
Quote:
absolutely

Newfy IceCapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
Do you think these two moves have made us a significantly better team? On paper, I'd say it's a marginal improvement.

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
misfit

Quote:
Basically today boiled down to a backup goalie and a 3rd round pick for a different backup goalie and a 4th line forward. Major moves indeed...

nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Dubnyk: Hey, MacT, I have a request or something.
MacT: Shoot, man.
Dubnyk: I just feel our defence could really benefit from a number 1 dman. Say, you know, like Shea Weber. That's a player I could play behind.
Mact: Huh. Well, let me see what I can do for you.
Dubnyk: Really? No foolin?
MacT: Yeah. ...

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Ask Toronto fans. I know Dubnyk has been awful, but I wouldn't celebrate untill you have seen Scrivens behind your D and not just perform in Kings.
Scrivens is a good goalie. He's still fairly new to the NHL, but he's definitely an NHL goalie. He can steal a game once in awhile when he's on.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
topchowda

Quote:
"Major" and Dubnyk, Scrivens, 3rd, Hendricks do not belong in the same sentence

Major is something like Eberle, Yakupov, Gagner

From Jonathan Willis, Of the 16 NHL trades since October, Oilers have been in 6. Trades in season don't happen that much

MacT will have to make trades in the offseason. And he was one of the most active GMs last offseason.

Grabbed a 2lw, top 4 (or 5) D, 3c, 6-7D

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jbean

Quote:
I like the moves but let's see how they effect the standings. If the Oilers are bottom 5 in the league again I think Lowe should step down if anything.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:38 PM
frag2

Quote:
Shuffling deck chairs.

Can't please everyone

Does the D suck? Yep.
Does Dubnyk suck? You bet.

Put Pronger in front of Dubnyk and that still wont prevent flutter puck from going over his glove.

I do agree this appears to be a "stop the bleeding" type move but what has our 3rd rounder amounted to over the years? Pretty much nothing significant.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Have you watched Dubnyk play this year? It's not all him but there many, many questionable goals he let in this year.
Oilers moved out Smid to make contract room for Bryzgalov who came in, played well for a handful of games and has since looked like trash.

Dubnyk has been trash. Scrivens will maybe be a marginal upgrade. But it doesn't address the issues of this team.

This is the worst team we've ever had. If people think this is because of goaltending they are bat **** crazy.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:39 PM
PETRYDISH

Quote:
Lowe absolutely still needs to go. We have yet to find out how a new goalies going to play behind our defense. It will say a TON if Scrivens regresses and Duby progresses.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:40 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Shuffling deck chairs.

No, MacT needs to do both. I'm glad he's starting that process. By no means is he done, but as fans, we should be happy that he's doing something. Our goaltending is better today than it was yesterday.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:40 PM
dhawken

Quote:
If you're asking the question, the moves were a success. Wag the dog.

dhawken is offline   Reply With Quote