HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/LAK] Oilers acquire Ben Scrivens for 3rd round pick

Old
01-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
We moved out a guy that has absolutely been horrible this year, for a guy with some grit, and (from what has been said) is good in the room. We added a goalie that has better numbers than Quick in the same GP approx. for a 3rd rounder.(Which if we move out Schultz/Hemsky we will easily reacquire.)

Today we are:

Tougher to play against.
More veteran.
Better goaltending.(I am going by default since I don't think it could get worse)
Equal in cap space.
Shaking up room.

I can't see it as bad, and although the Hendricks contract is less than stellar, we have a bonafide bottom six guy instead of the "throw crap at the bottom six and hope it sticks."

I am ok with this.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Mctopchowda

As far as the Hendricks trade: I imagine the situation was something like the Scrivens trade sprunk up quickly and MacT had to scramble to trade Dubnyk

Mctopchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Gudbranson44

this is a better trade for the oilers

Gudbranson44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Section337

Hopefully these moves remove the locker room's ability to blame their suckitude on not believing in the guy behind them.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:42 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
We moved out a guy that has absolutely been horrible this year, for a guy with some grit, and (from what has been said) is good in the room. We added a goalie that has better numbers than Quick in the same GP approx. for a 3rd rounder.(Which if we move out Schultz/Hemsky we will easily reacquire.)

Today we are:

Tougher to play against.
More veteran.
Better goaltending.(I am going by default since I don't think it could get worse)
Equal in cap space.
Shaking up room.

I can't see it as bad, and although the Hendricks contract is less than stellar, we have a bonafide bottom six guy instead of the "throw crap at the bottom six and hope it sticks."

I am ok with this.
Exaclty how I see it, today is a big win. Funny people are saying Scrivens isn't a upgrade, but common. SV% has to count for somthing. 931 vs 894. That is a huge differnce.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:43 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post

Today we are:

Tougher to play against.
More veteran.
Equal in cap space.
Shaking up room.

I am ok with this.
Excellent post, thank you.

OilDrop37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:44 PM
LTIR

vCash: 300
So are we retaining 50% of Dubnyk's salary?

DOnt see it on TSN or on Oilers website but apparently that is what the main board is saying

LTIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:44 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post

DOnt see it on TSN or on Oilers website but apparently that is what the main board is saying
Not sure what the hell they are talking about. We pay half his salary becuase the year is Half over. I don't think it has anything to do with the deal.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:45 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
.921 in 38GMs.

If anyone remembers, we were probably the worst we had ever been 5 on 5 with Krueger when it came to being out shot every single game as well.

Dubnyk had a bad year, and he paid the consequences. We moved him for a "maybe".
This is the one reason i hate and get frustrated with the fans of this team.

first of all - Dubnyk can be best described as a oh hum type of personality = a guy who may care but doesn't care enough. I actually have always felt he has elite talent but he doesn't have that determination, that fire that anger inside to want to be the best.

I always came away from the cup finals of previous year (exception of last year) but you had guys like Quick, Thomas, Niemi that those teams leaned on as being a leader. Its a back and forth relationship where you don't let them down, they won't let you down. A great example is Fleury after his cup win, most Pens fans always question him. As a goalie your the guy to be counted on the most.

In the coming days there will be a lot of revisionists say Dubnyk was great. The guy was average and inconsistent and deflated his team constantly. It actually became very apparent that he was accepting of the idea if it couldn't be stopped he was fine with it. That's the difference between great goalies they want to stop absolutely everything and not play averages like he did and analogize it.

How many games did he play where he'd have 40 saves then the next night played like ****. He will be a great backup even a 1B goalie but he's had about 5 years to prove himself and he's displayed glaring weaknesses.

Most organizations turning point I believe is when they get great goaltending look at San Jose now there a scary team.

This team doesn't have a Grant Fuhr quality of talent who can shut the door down when he had to; and still be that easy going personality.

It doesn't have a Bill Ranford that would pulverize his stick in half and scream at the team to get things going when they were losing.

They don't have the elite goaltending of a Tommy Salo (all you 1990 and later birthday's don't comment cause your earliest memories will be him playing against Belarus) arguably one of the great goalies in that era unfortunately it was an era with Roy, Belfour, Brodeur, Hasek - him and Kolzig always got forgotten.

Why they didn't trade him a year or so back is questionable management. With him subtraction equals an addition.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Shizuka

Quote:

Elliot Friedman said we were retaining 50% of his salary.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:46 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:

Yes, and it matters not one iota as he's a UFA at the end of the season and we sure as **** aren't loading up to the cap for a playoff push.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Stringer Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
They don't have the elite goaltending of a Tommy Salo (all you 1990 and later birthday's don't comment cause your earliest memories will be him playing against Belarus) arguably one of the great goalies in that era unfortunately it was an era with Roy, Belfour, Brodeur, Hasek - him and Kolzig always got forgotten.

Why they didn't trade him a year or so back is questionable management. With him subtraction equals an addition.

Don't forget Curtis Joseph!!

Stringer Bell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:47 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
This is the one reason i hate and get frustrated with the fans of this team.

first of all - Dubnyk can be best described as a oh hum type of personality = a guy who may care but doesn't care enough. I actually have always felt he has elite talent but he doesn't have that determination, that fire that anger inside to want to be the best.

I always came away from the cup finals of previous year (exception of last year) but you had guys like Quick, Thomas, Niemi that those teams leaned on as being a leader. Its a back and forth relationship where you don't let them down, they won't let you down. A great example is Fleury after his cup win, most Pens fans always question him. As a goalie your the guy to be counted on the most.

In the coming days there will be a lot of revisionists say Dubnyk was great. The guy was average and inconsistent and deflated his team constantly. It actually became very apparent that he was accepting of the idea if it couldn't be stopped he was fine with it. That's the difference between great goalies they want to stop absolutely everything and not play averages like he did and analogize it.

How many games did he play where he'd have 40 saves then the next night played like ****. He will be a great backup even a 1B goalie but he's had about 5 years to prove himself and he's displayed glaring weaknesses.

Most organizations turning point I believe is when they get great goaltending look at San Jose now there a scary team.

This team doesn't have a Grant Fuhr quality of talent who can shut the door down when he had to; and still be that easy going personality.

It doesn't have a Bill Ranford that would pulverize his stick in half and scream at the team to get things going when they were losing.

Ah, he stole a lot of games for us last season. He deserves the credit. That said, he had his bad year, and deserved to be sent out of here.

That's hockey.

Also: You sure should be looking forward to this personality

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Pressure
Tier 1,2 and 3 fan

How about we all calm the hell down and see how Matt Hendricks plays before we pass judgement on him. The guy was a favorite in Washington and was misused in Nashville (according to Hendricks) before he was traded.

Yes he's 32 yrs old, and yes he has a 4 yr contract.

A few things, that contract is peanuts after the salary cap goes up. Secondly it's only 1.85 million. You guys are treating this like it'll be an end all and be all for signing future players. Not even close. We will not be a cap team...yet.

Give Hendricks a chance, and welcome him onto the team for ****s sake.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Pressure
Tier 1,2 and 3 fan

Quote:

to be honest who the hell even cares if we retain half of Dubnyk's salaray? what difference does it make? The Preds are a self imposed cap team, by paying half the salary we're just making up the Salary we're getting so it's a wash...

Old
01-15-2014, 02:52 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Ah, he stole a lot of games for us last season. He deserves the credit. That said, he had his bad year, and deserved to be sent out of here.

That's hockey.

Also: You sure should be looking forward to this personality

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
How about we all calm the hell down and see how Matt Hendricks plays before we pass judgement on him. The guy was a favorite in Washington and was misused in Nashville (according to Hendricks) before he was traded.

Yes he's 32 yrs old, and yes he has a 4 yr contract.

A few things, that contract is peanuts after the salary cap goes up. Secondly it's only 1.85 million. You guys are treating this like it'll be an end all and be all for signing future players. Not even close. We will not be a cap team...yet.

Give Hendricks a chance, and welcome him onto the team for ****s sake.
Point is you can find the same stuff in guys cheaper and younger.

Also, we've seen these types of players come and go before and either leave little impression (Smithson) or earn the wrath of the fans (Belanger). We've been down this road before and it leads nowhere.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

It's 50% of his remaining salary anyway, which is only like 850k or something at this point.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:54 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Oilers moved out Smid to make contract room for Bryzgalov who came in, played well for a handful of games and has since looked like trash.

Dubnyk has been trash. Scrivens will maybe be a marginal upgrade. But it doesn't address the issues of this team.

This is the worst team we've ever had. If people think this is because of goaltending they are bat **** crazy.
Goaltending is a major cause of it. It's not THE cause, but it certainly is an issue. These trades make us a better team

AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
Uh oh

@JenScrivs: @TastyGardener Exactly! I paid my dues with 3 years in Toronto and 4 in New York. And I will never complain about weather again. Ever.

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post

Also, we've seen these types of players come and go before and either leave little impression (Smithson) or earn the wrath of the fans (Belanger). We've been down this road before and it leads nowhere.
You sure you're not just pissed at the trade because Dubnyk is your buddy?

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Shizuka

Quote:

And once again, I will ask what your solution is? Who are these great young 3rd line role players that we could have acquired on the cheap? Please, enlighten everyone -- I'd definitely like to hear what your proposal would be.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pressure
Tier 1,2 and 3 fan

Quote:

It may sound redundant but Mac T targeted Hendricks in the off season so he can bring a vet presence, work the PK and be that gritty player that can move up and down the lineup. He's a solid player that was relied upon in Washington.

Old
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
I'd re-sign Scrivens no matter what. I'm sure we're hoping he plays lights out for the rest of the year and possibly becomes our #1 but if that doesn't work out at the very least he's a quality backup.

And yes, today was a good day for MacT. Hendricks makes us better. Scrivens over Dubnyk makes us better.

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
And once again, I will ask what your solution is? Who are these great young 3rd line role players that we could have acquired on the cheap? Please, enlighten everyone -- I'd definitely like to hear what your proposal would be.
Why are you talking about the third line here?

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote