HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

[EDM/LAK] Oilers acquire Ben Scrivens for 3rd round pick

Old
01-15-2014, 03:21 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Shuffling deck chairs.

We give up a mediocre goalie for a grossly overpaid 4th liner on a horrendous deal and bring in a mediocre goalie who looks incredible on arguably the best defensive team in the league.

MacT needs to start addressing the defense and stop worrying about the goaltending.

Maybe having Scrivens come in and look like garbage just like Bryzgalov has and just like Dubnyk has will make MacT realize this isn't a goaltending issue.
Agreed. The D is still awful. Scrivens is another Dubnyk, maybe a little better, but not enough that he's going to consistently bail out the D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Scrivens is a good goalie. He's still fairly new to the NHL, but he's definitely an NHL goalie. He can steal a game once in awhile when he's on.
Every goalie, even Dubnyk, can steal a game once in a while. The difference between the top goalies and the Dubnyks of the world is consistency.

01-15-2014, 03:23 PM
HFX902

vCash: 500
Spruce Grove son

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:28 PM
oiLowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
I guess we'll see about that.
We've witnessed many years of it. How much more evidence do you need?!

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:29 PM
ohheyhemsky

We should throw him at the wolves tomorrow.

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
joestevens29

vCash: 688
I know people like to complain it's moving chairs on the titantic, but that's really not an accurate assessment. MacT is new to the position and he is adding his chairs.

Maybe adding Scrivens and Hendricks and subtracting Dubnyk and Brown is lateral moves, but guess what they are moves that the new GM made to bring in guys he wanted and thought was better. I rather have a GM fail that made moves to try right the ship instead of one that did very little to replace the easy problem areas.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
Spruce Grove son
Its written in the stars. Scrivens shall be our saviour.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:30 PM
AJGass4

Quite honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would complain about this.

I'd be happy with Scrivens and Bachman at this point.

AJGass4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:31 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

As long as we sign Scrivens to backup money, I don't mind giving up the pick. Would have rather it been a lower pick, obviously.

I agree we still need to sign a #1 goalie, even if Scrivens keeps up his LAK numbers for the rest of the season here in Edmonton.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:31 PM
dhawken

I'm on board with the trades so far, but there's really no way to debate the goalie quality. Put any names you want, and LA Goalie >> EDM Goalie. Its useless at this juncture, and should also temper our expectations for Scrivens.

dhawken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:34 PM
NedPlimpton

vCash: 210
happy with this.

So many mixed opinions here and everywhere else, but whatever. I like it.

I wonder going forward though. I think we all get the feeling that Bryz (regardless of how well he plays) isn't our guy for the future, so does that mean Scrivens is by default?

NedPlimpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:37 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
If we're able to re-sign him I'm ok with this move. Otherwise, seems like a waste of a 3rd rounder.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Psychoil

on the rumors and trades threads, fans are absolutely ripping the oilers....They are having a field day with this. Didn't know people hated us so much hahahaha, but its all good. Haters = motivators

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:38 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
on the rumors and trades threads, fans are absolutely ripping the oilers....They are having a field day with this. Didn't know people hated us so much hahahaha, but its all good. Haters = motivators
Us sucking and getting 1st overalls in three consecutive years has aided to all of that hate.

I don't understand that at all. Why isn't there more sympathy? Us fans have had to sit on this crap for so many years now.

Jealously might have to do with it, but considering the performances of 2/3 of our 1st overalls in the last year or so, there isn't much to be jealous about.

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:42 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Is scrivens legitimately better than dubnyk?
How can he possibly be worse?
I think it's worth the roll of the dice. Scrivens has put up good numbers, even with a relatively bad team in Toronto. He's worth a shot. Reimer and others would've cost a lot more. Maybe we make a move for a goalie like that at the trade deadline if the UFA market doesn't look promising, but this season is in the toilet so might as well see if Scrivens is a goalie we'd want to keep. He'll get a good chance to show what he's got here.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:43 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
It's a cesspool on the main boards, infested with plenty of mouth breeding degenerates... but as Oilers fans we see and know it best of all. This organization has committed many missteps, and it is time to turn things around. So those clownshows on the main boards aren't wrong in some of their assessments (things we already know, all too well...).

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:47 PM
stoff

My thoughts:

- don't like the Hendricks trade. Have the oilers not learned from past mistakes of having 3rd/4th liners signed to multi year contracts? Eager, Belanger, Moreau, Pisani, etc. Only one that has worked out so far is Gordon.

-I've seen alot of people say, "if these guys are so readily available for cheap where are they?" The answer is that good teams draft players to fill the bottom six roles. Look at Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago,etc. That's the biggest failure of the Tambo era. For 5 years of rebuilding he hasn't been able to develop/draft any bottom six forwards. These are players a team should be drafting in the 3rd + rounds. It's terrible that we haven't hit on anything in years.

-For the Scrivens trade, i don't mind. 27 year old goalie who has been successful at all levels. He had a good save percentage on the leafs who have an equally bad defence as the oilers. Willing to give him a look, especially for a 3rd round pick. We should be able to recoup a couple picks with N Schultz and some other players who will be out at the deadline.

-I don't know if it is mentioned but leafs are paying some of his salary still for this season. Doesn't impact our bottom line/ability to do anything going forward but still kind of odd.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:47 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Agreed. The D is still awful. Scrivens is another Dubnyk, maybe a little better, but not enough that he's going to consistently bail out the D.
That's not the point of acquiring him. They want to see what he's got and if he could be a goalie for us in the future. If he does well he'll be extended and we'll have at least a backup goalie for upcoming seasons. It's basically a try-out. They obviously gave up on Dubnyk, and for good reason: He lets in too many bad goals.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:51 PM
frag2

While MacT is at it, rid us of Chabot. He seriously brings no value to this team at the moment.

Hell, purge all assistants....but we know that wont happen

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:52 PM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Everyone loves a trainwreck.

Not saying i agree with them, the trades today were a lateral move at best.

But Oilers are a good talking piece, you have a team with a great history, an active fanbase, and one of the worst hockey people on the planet running it. Then add in the 3 1st overalls, the fact the team is spending to the cap, and the constant felating the team got the past 2-3 years (one piece away, they will be playoff contenders this year, Schultz should be on team Canada etc.) and you basically have a recipe for lots of talk and discussion.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:53 PM
djdub
#6cups

Scrivens is a significant downgrade to Dubnyk.

Our problem was not our goalies, it was team defense. We will see soon when Scrivens' GAA is ~4 and SP < .900, just like they are with Dubnyk AND Bryzgalov.

These moves were not lateral, they made us worse.

djdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post

Maybe this stunt punched his ticket out of LA?
that's awesome. hope it's in his contract he has to do that every third game as an Oiler.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Ragss

It just doesn't get worse than Dubnyk this season. So so so many back breaking goals.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:56 PM
AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
It's easy to run your mouth when you're looking down at us in the standings. We've been the butt of all jokes for the last 3 years so don't expect things to be any different this year.

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 03:59 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Everyone loves a trainwreck.

Not saying i agree with them, the trades today were a lateral move at best.

But Oilers are a good talking piece, you have a team with a great history, an active fanbase, and one of the worst hockey people on the planet running it. Then add in the 3 1st overalls, the fact the team is spending to the cap, and the constant felating the team got the past 2-3 years (one piece away, they will be playoff contenders this year, Schultz should be on team Canada etc.) and you basically have a recipe for lots of talk and discussion.
you don't think Scrivens is an upgrade over Dubnyk?

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 04:00 PM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
you don't think Scrivens is an upgrade over Dubnyk?
He's not, I don't know how people can say otherwise. Shiny new toy syndrome I guess...

Put Dubnyk on the Kings, see what kind of numbers he puts up.

djdub is online now   Reply With Quote