HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/LAK] Oilers acquire Ben Scrivens for 3rd round pick

Old
01-15-2014, 08:05 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Jujhar Khaira is a 3rd round pick.

Giving up that potential for a UFA goaltender is a lousy use of an asset. And the fact that Mrs Scrivens seems to be disappointed in the move makes it all the more doubtful that he re-signs.
3rd round picks have like a 5% chance of even making it to the NHL

I think it's alright

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Jujhar Khaira is a 3rd round pick.

Giving up that potential for a UFA goaltender is a lousy use of an asset. And the fact that Mrs Scrivens seems to be disappointed in the move makes it all the more doubtful that he re-signs.
Of course, for every Khaira (who to be fair hasn't proven a damn thing yet, let's see how he looks at the AHL level before considering him to be worth anything of value) there's 3rd rounders like Robby Dee or Cam Abney. It's hardly an exact science.

IMO it's worth the risk, and this team could stand to take a few more chances and not sit on low percentage 'assets'.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I've liked watching Scrivens this year. Solid move. Good day today and nice to see some changes.

Better still we didn't give up anybody to get him. What this org needs to do more of as we have enough prospect assets. We need actual NHL players.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Of course, for every Khaira (who to be fair hasn't proven a damn thing yet, let's see how he looks at the AHL level before considering him to be worth anything of value) there's 3rd rounders like Robby Dee or Cam Abney. It's hardly an exact science.

IMO it's worth the risk, and this team could stand to take a few more chances and not sit on low percentage 'assets'.
Exactly my thoughts. Khaira has proved squat as of yet. I'll toss a 3rd rounder every year if it meant a possible Scrivens in return and the 1st crack at negotiating a future signing.. towards a proven NHLer.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:24 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
3rd round picks have like a 5% chance of even making it to the NHL

I think it's alright
To be honest, I could care less about the pick. I just want the team to get better and they didn't do that with these moves today. Best case scenario is that Hendricks ends up a mainstay on the fourth line. But adding salary while looking no better in goal is inexcusable. Especially when Patrick ****ing Roy couldn't keep the puck out of the net with our defense.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:35 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Patrick Roy doesn't allow floaters from the blue line.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:44 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

I'm ok with this. I don't think Scrivens is going to look very good playing behind this Swiss cheese defense either, but Dubs has been disappointing this year.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerguy View Post
Oilers should have traded for Eddie Lack. This guy is going to be the next Cory Schneider...a 6'5 Cory Schneider. Vancouver is a team on the decline but he's shining every chance he gets. He had one year in the AHL that he dominated as well. Guy went under the radar because he came from Sweden and wasn't scouted very heavily. Canucks AHL farm team fans were saying that he has more potential than Cory Schnedier who also dominated the Ahl.

I think it would be smart if they targeted him now before he has 2 or 3 seasons of sub 2.00 GAA and 920+ save% because by then his trade value will be really high.
Vancouver is ridiculously lucky. Have a great goalie situation last year, get a sick prospect, replace schieder with a potentially better goalie

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyingV

Not sure how anyone is unhappy with this trade, or where this idea is coming from that he wouldn't likely resign here. A 3rd round pick is a minor asset when taking a shot on a still fairly young goalie who has put up solid numbers as a backup, and has the potential to break out as a starter. If he plays well for us I'm sure he'd take an offer for 2-3mil considering he's making nowhere near that on his current contract. The fact thats he's from here makes it much more likely that he would consider resigning and I'm not sure where you're getting it that his wife is unhappy.

Jenny Scrivens ‏@JenScrivs 6h
Thank you to the @LAKings and #Kings fans for welcoming us to LA. Sad to leave my hometown, but excited for @scrivens_30's hometown!

Just because she's disappointed about leaving her hometown doesn't mean she is going to be anything like prongers wife, and she actually seems pretty supportive.

FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:46 PM
4th_Liner

it's fine, a pending UFA, sucky or not either way it'll work in our favor.

4th_Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:58 PM
glassbangers
"I home."

vCash: 50
Just woke up.. Dubnyk and 3rd for Scrivens and Hendricks? Sign me ****ing up.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - XXX - Yakupov
XXX - Gordon - XXX
XXX - Hendricks - XXX
Joensuu

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Hockey Nightmare

I don't like this. The last thing we need is Scrivens playing us out of a top 5 pick lol.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Team First

Funny reading another teams board . Scrivens was consistent and reliable in T.O. On top of that he,s got good character. I hope he does well for you. Hang in there boys!

Team First is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:03 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
I don't like this. The last thing we need is Scrivens playing us out of a top 5 pick lol.
Were so far back of the sixth place team even if we win 24 of our remaining games the worst we could draft is 5th.

shogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:04 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Not a bad trade.

Edmonton coughs up a 3rd rounder for a shot in the dark at a goalie that has a chance to be a starter. If he plays well (I'm guessing his numbers in LA are inflated due to their system and blueline depth) we'll surely have a goalie to resign at the end of the year.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:06 PM
dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Vancouver is ridiculously lucky. Have a great goalie situation last year, get a sick prospect, replace schieder with a potentially better goalie
How is that luck? They signed Lack for a reason. Once in awhile, things work out in the scouting department.

They wouldn't have put faith in him being the backup goalie at this level if they didn't think he could play at it. I'd give management credit for not keeping him in the minors when they could have easily opted to sign a veteran backup.

dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:13 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc View Post
How is that luck? They signed Lack for a reason. Once in awhile, things work out in the scouting department.

They wouldn't have put faith in him being the backup goalie at this level if they didn't think he could play at it. I'd give management credit for not keeping him in the minors when they could have easily opted to sign a veteran backup.
Your first sentence is exactly why they are lucky. Goalies are very hard to predict. It is pretty uncommon to have 2 goalies like schnieder and lack turn out back to back like them

If the reason was souly due to good scouting then they'd have a lot better players developed internally and less Schroeder's and Rodin's.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Much more likely his numbers drop and he's just as bad as anyone else that has been in the Oilers net this year.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Sweet dreams cause it ain't gonna happen.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:32 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny Monahan View Post
Now us flames will get a for sure top 3 pick
Yea, Oilers, Sabres, Flames, 1-2-3

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:33 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Before we start jumping off bridges, lets just remember that Khaira is still in the WHL. He might not even pan out, yet some of you are grasping at straws over losing a "major asset" like a 3rd rounder.

This board, I tell you.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:35 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
To be honest, I could care less about the pick. I just want the team to get better and they didn't do that with these moves today. Best case scenario is that Hendricks ends up a mainstay on the fourth line. But adding salary while looking no better in goal is inexcusable. Especially when Patrick ****ing Roy couldn't keep the puck out of the net with our defense.
It remains to be seen how both players play, but in all likelihood, we're better today than we were yesterday. DD wasn't going to win us games. Scivens has the potential to. In desperate times like these, you need to take a gamble (and this is more of a low risk, high reward gamble).

Does the defense need work still? Yes. Were we going to get a top 4 dman for DD or a 3rd round pick? No.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:37 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
It remains to be seen how both players play, but in all likelihood, we're better today than we were yesterday. DD wasn't going to win us games. Scivens has the potential to. In desperate times like these, you need to take a gamble (and this is more of a low risk, high reward gamble).

Does the defense need work still? Yes. Were we going to get a top 4 dman for DD or a 3rd round pick? No.
Seems like a few posters expected a major splash. It's almost as if the only deal with Nashville they were willing to consider is one including Weber.

But let me tell you... You want Weber? Hall + is going the other way.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:41 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
Not sure how anyone is unhappy with this trade, or where this idea is coming from that he wouldn't likely resign here. A 3rd round pick is a minor asset when taking a shot on a still fairly young goalie who has put up solid numbers as a backup, and has the potential to break out as a starter. If he plays well for us I'm sure he'd take an offer for 2-3mil considering he's making nowhere near that on his current contract. The fact thats he's from here makes it much more likely that he would consider resigning and I'm not sure where you're getting it that his wife is unhappy.

Jenny Scrivens ‏@JenScrivs 6h
Thank you to the @LAKings and #Kings fans for welcoming us to LA. Sad to leave my hometown, but excited for @scrivens_30's hometown!

Just because she's disappointed about leaving her hometown doesn't mean she is going to be anything like prongers wife, and she actually seems pretty supportive.
If I was the wife of an Oiler, and originally from California, I wouldn't even be that upset. The majority of the year you can spend at home, and while in Edmonton, rent a nice condo or something downtown and fly back to Cali during Oiler roadtrips.

If you have kids, there are worse places to raise them than Edmonton.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Srsly

I actually didn't think Scrivens was terrible in Toronto and I'm sure he's happy for a chance to play at home.

The main problem he had in Toronto was consistency. He actually had the odd stretch where he looked just as strong for us as he did for LA. He also put up respectable numbers with the Marlies.

Srsly is offline   Reply With Quote