HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OFFICIAL GDT: New York Rangers AT Philadelphia Flyers 1 pm

Old
01-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Greg in MA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post

Who is she?
Jags' love interest/girlfriend.

Greg in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:08 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in MA View Post
Jesus..

Jagr sure as hell found gold.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:12 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in MA View Post
Any idea what the name is?
Is that ANDREA VERESOVA?

Old
01-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

I don't want to cruise through the whole topic, so I was wondering what everyone thought of Girardi's first game? Think he'll get to play more?

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I don't want to cruise through the whole topic, so I was wondering what everyone thought of Girardi's first game? Think he'll get to play more?
Yeah, I defenitly belives so. If not it were totally meaningless to play him in this game.

He played solid all night.

One play that I think were out of the ordinary were late when he stepped up and took the body on Forsberg.

I personally think he is a defenite upgrade over Kaspar. Compared to Pck? I don't know, Pck got offensive potential, he got good speed and handles the puck well, he is really good from the offensive blueline and in. At the same time he plays with small marginals and aren't that safe, and especially out of his own end he quit often aren't making the right decisions. Though thats only something that can come with experience.

Our blueline is hardly strong, I have no problem with the 7 we have now rotating.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:38 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
Any idea what the name is?
Is that ANDREA VERESOVA?
Actually that is his old one..the new one is..

Inna Pukajkova

Old
01-27-2007, 04:38 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Yet another game that Shanny isn't on the score sheet...Must be his linemates and ice time right?
His linemates are Betts & Hossa. Gretzky would have a hard time getting on the scoresheet with those.
Quote:
Prucha Cullen and Ortmeyer could be that forechecking third line this team needs...
Whatever they looked like, only one of them belongs there. There is no way that Prucha should be a 3rd or 4th line player on a team that trots out Ward on the first line and Hossa on the 2nd. And Ortmeyer is still nothing more than a good, energetic 4th liner.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:40 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
You have asked me how Prucha could get better from playing on a 4th line, tonight you got the answear.

You said it yourself, his best game of the year (IMO he played the best hockey of the season in the 3rd), after playing 2 straight on a 4th line.
That is such a blinders answer. You avoid discussing how he has also played well on the top lines, only to be demoted to the bottom lines. And, if this is your recipe for success, we should be seeing many a vet playing on the 4th line soon, to get them going, right?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Fletch

SoS...

Shanny needs to start burying chances, but honestly, there's no chemistry with him and his linemates, and Betts especially cannot get him the puck. Hull doesn't score 500 goals if he didn't have guys like Janney and Oates centering him, let alone the amount of goals he scored. For some players, your linemates matter. Shanny's not Jagr. He's not the playmaker/stickhandler he is. He is a goal scorer, one that needs to get in position, and get his shots. That's not happening. Neither on the PP (it's odd, Prucha had better success on the PP last season than Shanny has this season), as well as at even strength.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 05:04 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:

Thought for someone who was playing in his first NHL game that he did a good job. The speed of the game from the AHL Level to the NHL didn't seem to effect him and that was a good sign right away. He plays a very safe game in the AHL and he did today as well.

He SHOULD be in the next game after this but with our coach its anybodys guess. Malik played like garbage again but he never gets scratched. Our other young defenseman who has been playing well also was scratched tonight for Girardi.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Fletch

Some thoughts on the game...

the Rangers almost lost to one of the worst teams in the league - does much more need to be said?

How much longer do we need to see Malik out there?

Old
01-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Thought for someone who was playing in his first NHL game that he did a good job. The speed of the game from the AHL Level to the NHL didn't seem to effect him and that was a good sign right away. He plays a very safe game in the AHL and he did today as well.

He SHOULD be in the next game after this but with our coach its anybodys guess. Malik played like garbage again but he never gets scratched. Our other young defenseman who has been playing well also was scratched tonight for Girardi.
I definitely thought he played a safe game. He used the boards well, made smart plays with the puck. I hope he finds a way to stay in this league permanently. It's a great story.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:01 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Shanny needs to start burying chances, but honestly, there's no chemistry with him and his linemates, and Betts especially cannot get him the puck. Hull doesn't score 500 goals if he didn't have guys like Janney and Oates centering him, let alone the amount of goals he scored. For some players, your linemates matter. Shanny's not Jagr. He's not the playmaker/stickhandler he is. He is a goal scorer, one that needs to get in position, and get his shots. That's not happening. Neither on the PP (it's odd, Prucha had better success on the PP last season than Shanny has this season), as well as at even strength.
Okay, let us assume we're stuck with the guys we've got and Renney doesn't give Immonen another shot as the second line center. Also, let us assume that the reason we won today had to do with the quality of our opponent, and we return to mediocrity next game.

You also do not like Straka as a center, but is Jagr (who looked like Jagr today) good enough to make Straka a viable first line center?

Say Prucha, Straka, Jagr and,
Shanahan, Nylander, Hossa. Might that work?

Everyone says we need a second line center, but we ain't gonna get one during the season without giving up part of our future.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Fletch

You know me, klingsor...

I hate playing guys out of position, but playing Straka as a centerman with Jagr and Nylander with Shanny is better than seeing Betts there. And moving Prucha up to try to get him going wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

What is funny is that Ward went from the to line, to a healthy scratch. It's just so odd.

Old
01-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
His linemates are Betts & Hossa. Gretzky would have a hard time getting on the scoresheet with those..
I personally don't think Shanny is playing well. I think for a guy to talk as much as he does and portray the leadership role he isn't doing his part right now. I know the team wouldn't even be in the playoff race if it wasn't for him BUT he isn't exactly helping things. I'm probably the one Rangers fan that's pissed about what he said to the media about the power play problems. Yes, I understand he answered a direct question(s) but he shouldn't have answered the question the way he did. If you read between the lines he took a shot at both Jagr and Renney. This is Jagrs team and it didn't need Shanahans leadership....They need him to score goals...Take the name off the Jersey and we have a guy that hasn't produced in almost 2 months. Would he helped by second line center? Yup....but a second line center isn't just needed for Shanny...It's needed to balance the ENTIRE team. To take pressure off the Captain that leads on the scoresheet game after game...

Quote:
Whatever they looked like, only one of them belongs there. There is no way that Prucha should be a 3rd or 4th line player on a team that trots out Ward on the first line and Hossa on the 2nd. And Ortmeyer is still nothing more than a good, energetic 4th liner.
I don't mind Prucha playing with Ortmeyer. Ortmeyer is a 4th line player but he is also one of the few players on the team that can create a turnover with his forecheck. Prucha is always around the net and the line created scoring chances. If this is the 3rd line it's going to help balance out the scoring..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
The team needs a 2nd line center....

I'd change the power play units too..

Prucha Nylander Jagr
Straka Rachunek

Shanny Cullen Jagr/Hossa

Tyutin Pock

Old
01-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Fletch

Shanny..

is getting a bit more attention than he can handle, and thus isn't getting great shots. He is the focus of that line because most everybody he's played with on that line isn't of the stature of Shanny. The guy is trying hard, but just not getting it done. I can't help but think that a guy with his mileage should've been playing 20+ minutes per night (about four more than last season). Just seems that will wear down a guy. Not trying to make excuses for Shanny, just analyzing what's going on out there.

Prucha looked good with Ortmeyer - but I think he would've looked good with anybody - he was more physical than I've seen him in a while. Thought Renney would promote him because of his energy.

Old
01-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Fletch

SoS...

my last post on Immonen...he's very good on the PP. I'd venture to guess that most of his points have come from there. Having watched him this season, he's shown a lot of poise, is good at keeping the puck in, and great at distributing the puck. The second line is missing that guy to quarterback the puck. He's that guy. If Renney has reservations, then play him on a fourth line with little ice time, but give him the second unit PP time. He did look good in NY in his two PP shifts -controlled the puck and won faceoffs. Seems as though with Renney it's a top or second liner or nothing with him. I think I'm done trying to figure that one out.

Old
01-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
my last post on Immonen...he's very good on the PP. I'd venture to guess that most of his points have come from there. Having watched him this season, he's shown a lot of poise, is good at keeping the puck in, and great at distributing the puck. The second line is missing that guy to quarterback the puck. He's that guy. If Renney has reservations, then play him on a fourth line with little ice time, but give him the second unit PP time. He did look good in NY in his two PP shifts -controlled the puck and won faceoffs. Seems as though with Renney it's a top or second liner or nothing with him. I think I'm done trying to figure that one out.
I wouldn't mind Immonen but we both know it's not happening..

I think he is a better option than Krog but Krog should be the guy that gets scratched for Dubinsky or the 2nd line center TBD...

Immonen was 65% on faceoffs......That's an asset this team hasn't had in a long time...

Old
01-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Pizza

Quote:
I definitely thought he played a safe game. He used the boards well, made smart plays with the puck. I hope he finds a way to stay in this league permanently. It's a great story.
It really is a feel good story. You love to see an under dog like Giradi get a shot at the big time.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 07:37 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
the Rangers almost lost to one of the worst teams in the league - does much more need to be said?
It took a goal in the last 30 seconds for the Devils to beat the Flyers last week. What should they do? Break up their team?

Quote:
is getting a bit more attention than he can handle, and thus isn't getting great shots. He is the focus of that line because most everybody he's played with on that line isn't of the stature of Shanny.
Jagr gets "a bit more attention he can handle" night in, night out. Shanahan is a big boy, he knows if he's playing too much. It's his choice to play on the pk.

Shanahan made the decision to open his mouth and point fingers. He's also the guy who has 2 goals in his last 80 shots.

abev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Fletch

SoS...

I should add (in defending my position that I'm not providing excuses for Shanny) and that's Renney needs to manage his assets properly. He needs to recognize strengths and weaknesses. He needs to recognize everyone's role, and impart that recognition on each player. We all knew back in late Oct/early Nov, that Cullen wasn't the centerman for Shanny, and that Betts wasn't an answer, and that 20+ minutes wasn't right, and that the PK time may'vebeen ill-advised, and after rambling on, one could question his managing of that asset and the team in general.

Old
01-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Fletch

abev...

my point was they didn't play well. They didn't look like a team that can beat the better teams in the legaue and if this was a game against a better team, with the way they play, they lose. Philly controlled the physical play and the Rangers were sloppy in their own end and in the neutral zone. Fedoruk, at times, looked like a top 6 forward. Sorry, I thought that was implied.

And Shanny is a big boy - but perhaps a 38 year old who played 20 seasons of physical hockey cannot handle the attention as well. Shanny's not Jagr and I'm not even sure why you'd bring up the comparison - I sure didn't imply there should be any comparison. Shanny did open his mouth - I'm not exactly sure where he pointed fingers though. Did he say Hollweg needs to score more goals for this team to win? Or that Jagr's not carrying the load? Sorry, I missed the pointing fingers comment from Jagr, but would love to see it and perhaps that'll change some of my opinions.

Old
01-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is such a blinders answer. You avoid discussing how he has also played well on the top lines, only to be demoted to the bottom lines. And, if this is your recipe for success, we should be seeing many a vet playing on the 4th line soon, to get them going, right?
What he brought in the 3rd is what he needs to bring on a regular basis. 1st line, 2nd line or 4th line he have not been able to do that.

Renney haven't used him as much as he did last season because of that. Like I have said before I think the obvious reason for Pruchas play is because he put to much pressure on himself to score, and lost confidence in himself when he didn't. While he instead should try to identify himself with efforts like he had tonight. Goals are so much a product of the enviorment you are in, its hard to effect and unreasonable to expect Prucha to score as much as he did last season with out playing on the first PP.

I thought taking it easy and reliving Prucha of some pressure by playing him on a 4th line wasn't such a bad idea, and got asked the question, how on earth is playing Prucha on a 4th line gooing to make him better, now he comes back after 2 straight games on a 4th line and plays better in the 3rd then he have all season (IMO), so obviously it had a positive effect.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:20 PM
TomLaidlaw

I'll take the two points but we need to play better. Anyone else notice that Lundy looks really shaky when he doesn't get alot of action? The one thing I liked was that guys actually stood up for each other today, especially Rachunek, which was unexpected. Adam Hall needs to do more, if he is gonna dress for Orr he really needs to add some sand paper to his game. I thought Esche played one of the best games I have seen from a goalie this year, he really kept the Flyers in the game, especially early on when we had all the power play time. I loved Jagrs commitment in the defensive end today, if he could bring that effort night in and night out on the defensive end he would really help the team. Lets keep winning!!!

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote