HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why does Craig Simpson have a job?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2007, 08:23 AM
  #26
Tekneek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,333
vCash: 500
Look at my post count. Why does anybody have a job?

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:23 AM
  #27
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretzky View Post
You didn't look hard enough.

http://coveredinoil.blogspot.com/200...rs-friend.html

http://flickr.com/photos/colbycosh/2...7594278238111/


Edit - Here's an article from Matheson as well that mentions that Simmer is the special teams coach near the bootom of the first page. I really had to dig to find it, but I knew I'd read it.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...7-ce73eb41eddb
Ok, thanks. I guess now we know why he still has a job here.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:28 AM
  #28
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
solution: keep him on to do pk and auxillary duties, and let someone else run the PP.

Simpson has done a great job with the PK unit, particularly with Moreau out, but he can't seem to get a PP set up to save his life.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:37 AM
  #29
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,540
vCash: 50
They're NHL players. They should be able to figure out how to put the puck in the net on the power play without someone holding their hands.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:06 AM
  #30
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,550
vCash: 500
I couldn't tell you. We are 27th in the damn leauge.

Think about that for a second. We have Hemsky, Smyth, Bergeron, Lupul, Sykora, Nedved, Stoll and we are 27th in the league.

We have always had a horrible PP with Simpson running it. Last year was an exception because that Pronger guy was amazing.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:13 AM
  #31
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
I couldn't tell you. We are 27th in the damn leauge.

Think about that for a second. We have Hemsky, Smyth, Bergeron, Lupul, Sykora, Nedved, Stoll and we are 27th in the league.

We have always had a horrible PP with Simpson running it. Last year was an exception because that Pronger guy was amazing.
We also got our ass kicked (something like 2 for 40) with Hemmer and Smyth out of the lineup.

We were about the middle of the pack before those 2 got hurt.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:28 AM
  #32
rcollector
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot_Scorer View Post
It's called the OLD BOYS CLUB.
You got it there!!!
Sometime I even wonder,
Is it the reason, Mact still our head coach.

rcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:33 AM
  #33
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
We also got our ass kicked (something like 2 for 40) with Hemmer and Smyth out of the lineup.

We were about the middle of the pack before those 2 got hurt.
True but I am sure every team has had injuries to key PP guys.

Calgary has lost Iginla, Minny was without Gaborik, Pronger is now out of the lineup in Anaheim.

So I don't think the injuries would have made much of a difference. Maybe we would be around 23rd instead of 27th but nothing major.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:43 AM
  #34
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
True but I am sure every team has had injuries to key PP guys.

Calgary has lost Iginla, Minny was without Gaborik, Pronger is now out of the lineup in Anaheim.

So I don't think the injuries would have made much of a difference. Maybe we would be around 23rd instead of 27th but nothing major.
Calgary's PP is running at 15.4%, and is in 25th place... that doesn't help your argument. And some teams have guys who can contribute on the PP. Anaheim doesn't rely as heavily on Pronger as the Oilers do on Hemsky (they don't have to). Minnesota has 5 forwards who can produce on the PP (Demitra, Rolston, Bouchard, Koivu and White). The Oilers have 5 guys who've done anything on the PP the last 2 years (Hemmer, Stoll, Smyth, Sykora, Horcoff), and 2 of them were hurt. Guys like Lupul and Nedved were terrible on the PP last year and have continued to do so this year. When you lose 2 guys as good as Smyth and Hemmer (at the same time no less), and don't have anyone who can come close to filling their roles (Smyth in terms of winning puck battles and Hemmer in terms of gaining the zone and setting up), your PP is going to take a hit.

Granted, being a middle of the road PP is only okay... they could be better. But they need their horses to at least get back to average first.

And Injuries have made a huge difference. With Smyth and Hemsky in the lineup, the Oilers PP is running at about 17.5%, which is good for about 14th place.


Last edited by dawgbone: 01-27-2007 at 11:48 AM.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:49 AM
  #35
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Calgary's PP is running at 15.4%, and is in 25th place... that doesn't help your argument.

And Injuries have made a huge difference. With Smyth and Hemsky in the lineup, the Oilers PP is running at about 17.5%, which is good for about 14th place.
Right but that was my point.

Sure we might be running at 17.5% But there are probally lots of other teams that would also be running there or higher if they too didn't get hurt.

For example even though I don't know Calgary's % with Iginla in the lineup, there is a good chance they too ran close to that 17.5% if not higher. Same goes for teams like Minny, Carolina, and the Islanders.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:52 AM
  #36
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
Right but that was my point.

Sure we might be running at 17.5% But there are probally lots of other teams that would also be running there or higher if they too didn't get hurt.

For example even though I don't know Calgary's % with Iginla in the lineup, there is a good chance they too ran close to that 17.5% if not higher. Same goes for teams like Minny, Carolina, and the Islanders.
Calgary has sucked on the PP all year.

Carolina should be better with the players they can put out there, so should the Islanders (Carolina doesn't have any excuses, and I'm pretty sure the Islanders don't either).

Regardless... the PP runs through Hemmer and Smyth... and the Oilers have no one who can compensate for when they are not in the lineup. There just isn't anyone there who is capable of doing it.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:59 AM
  #37
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Calgary has sucked on the PP all year.

Carolina should be better with the players they can put out there, so should the Islanders (Carolina doesn't have any excuses, and I'm pretty sure the Islanders don't either).

Regardless... the PP runs through Hemmer and Smyth... and the Oilers have no one who can compensate for when they are not in the lineup. There just isn't anyone there who is capable of doing it.
I was thinking about the losses of Yahsin and Stillman when I mentioned those 2 teams.

I fully agree with you that our PP can't replace Smyth and Hemsky and that we are better with them. I just disagree when you said they would be around 14th. They would be higher for sure but if other teams were healthier as well, we would likely be closer to 20th then 14th.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 03:47 PM
  #38
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,093
vCash: 50
hey could someone look at my post count???

Man that was like a Tom Cruise moment.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 03:56 PM
  #39
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
They're NHL players. They should be able to figure out how to put the puck in the net on the power play without someone holding their hands.

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:13 PM
  #40
Heavy Dee
Registered User
 
Heavy Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Because he has nice hair...
He looks pretty hot in a suit...
He has the same name as coach MacT...
His nickname is also pretty cool...
Check out my post count...






</sarcasm></pointless blabber>

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:15 PM
  #41
DesiFever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: City of Champs
Country: India
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
i guess management feels obligated to reward their last 50 goal scorer

DesiFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:25 PM
  #42
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
We also got our ass kicked (something like 2 for 40) with Hemmer and Smyth out of the lineup.

We were about the middle of the pack before those 2 got hurt.
I think we were as high as 10th at one point this season.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:24 PM
  #43
Trizent
Registered User
 
Trizent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oil Country
Posts: 1,729
vCash: 500
Craig Simpson is on CBC AFTER HOURS following the Oilers-Kings game.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.