HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Interesting comment from Global sports

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2004, 05:48 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Interesting comment from Global sports

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it...still sounded weird though.

News bit about the Oilers' recent woes and woeful season on the whole, and then this comment from whichever reporter was narrating (paraphrasing a bit here):

'Normally in situations like this the coaching staff would be looked at, and many people would say it's easier to replace a coach than to get rid of 20 players. However, with all of the coaching staff having a long history with Edmonton expect the players to take the fall.'

Not a big thing, I just found it interesting in how they worded it.

Old
01-29-2004, 05:56 AM
momentai

We sort of know it's true though. Lowe really, and I mean really, went to bat for MacT's qualifications for the coaching job in Edmonton. I mean seriously... 29 other teams would come calling? What is that...?

Given the relationship between MacT and Lowe and the money he has put into him... it's almost a given that the players are going to take the brunt of the blame..

Old
01-29-2004, 05:57 AM
USC Trojans
AD

When I look at the Oilers management, it almost seems like they're running a family business. Bringing their old buddies in, giving each other the benefit of the doubt, it almost seems like they're ignoring the quality of their performance.

Honestly, if I was the boss of a company, I would find it difficult to fire my buddy who works under me, no matter how poor they do. Its human nature, and anyone who claims that they can ignore personal matters when it comes to business is lying. Its times like this when I wish that the Oilers were run like a normal sports franchise.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:00 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
When I look at the Oilers management, it almost seems like they're running a family business. Bringing their old buddies in, giving each other the benefit of the doubt, it almost seems like they're ignoring the quality of their performance.

Honestly, if I was the boss of a company, I would find it difficult to fire my buddy who works under me, no matter how poor they do. Its human nature, and anyone who claims that they can ignore personal matters when it comes to business is lying. Its times like this when I wish that the Oilers were run like a normal sports franchise.
Running a family business is awesome...as long as the family running it know what they're doing.

If they don't, you're a little bit screwed.

Old
01-29-2004, 06:02 AM
Oilers Hockey

I saw that too. To me it seemed like they outright implied that MacT should be well, canned. It's good our media mentioned that maybe his coaching is a problem right?

Old
01-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Oi'll say!

When Lowe first brought MacT here he told the media as plain as day that [basically] he and MacT had an agreement back when they were players that as soon as one of them got a head coaching gig they would bring the other one into the fold. Does anyone else remember this?

MacT has been under his wing ever since.

This team is completely overcoached imo. It's one thing to give players a bit of pp time if they're hot, it's completely different to move players up and down in the lineup after every single bad or good shift. And since when do you talk over a players head to the media when he gets only his third short call-up?

They guy is just a complete tool. I'm not even mad about his incompetence anymore I've just grown accustomed to it.

Old
01-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Running a family business is awesome...as long as the family running it know what they're doing.

If they don't, you're a little bit screwed.
The new problem with the Oilers....

Old
01-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
The new problem with the Oilers....
Love it.

[Lowe, MacT and Simpson are digging with shovels to find the power play's corpse. Lowe is sickened by the stench, but the others don't appear to be bothered]

MacT: Hey Kev, Kev, hurry up will you? My mother's gonna make some fried peppers and sausage for us. Oh hey, Kev, Kev. Here's an arm.

Lowe: Very funny, guys.

MacT: Hey, here's a leg. Here's a wing.
[He laughs]

MacT: Hey, what do you like, the leg or the wing, Henry? Or do you still go for the old hearts and lungs?

[Lowe vomits]

Hell, wouldn't you?

Old
01-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Love it.

[Lowe, MacT and Simpson are digging with shovels to find the power play's corpse. Lowe is sickened by the stench, but the others don't appear to be bothered]

MacT: Hey Kev, Kev, hurry up will you? My mother's gonna make some fried peppers and sausage for us. Oh hey, Kev, Kev. Here's an arm.

Lowe: Very funny, guys.

MacT: Hey, here's a leg. Here's a wing.
[He laughs]

MacT: Hey, what do you like, the leg or the wing, Henry? Or do you still go for the old hearts and lungs?

[Lowe vomits]

Hell, wouldn't you?
Now that is funny stuff.

I hereby coin the phrase for our coaching and management staff as....

THE GOODFELLAS.

Old
01-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Now that is funny stuff.

I hereby coin the phrase for our coaching and management staff as....

THE GOODFELLAS.
IMDB.com is my friend and yours... :p

Closed Thread