HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cleaning Inline Wheels

Old
01-14-2014, 08:11 AM
JaeTM

vCash: 500
Cleaning Inline Wheels

So, my inline wheels have become incredibly dirty to the point where I spin them, they spin about once and stop. Needless to say, it's pretty tough to skate fast when your wheels/bearings are dirty.

What would be the best way to go about cleaning them? What lubricant to use, how long, etc?

Thanks.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Ozz

They make products like this for cleaning/protecting the actual wheel: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sonicgrip.html

Regarding bearings, this video shows a good tutorial on what is needed. It's relatively easy: take them apart, use bearing cleaner, dry them well, lubricate, and re-install: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/fitlc...nbearings.html

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 02:55 PM
JaeTM

Thanks for the info. I actually don't have any of those tools in the video. How do I figure out if I need the push or the pull tool? Not sure where he got that little rack thing either to put the bearings.

And also, I've had my wheels/bearings for a while. Probably about a year and a half, and I've played on them about once a week. How could I tell if they're completely shot and if I need new ones? I don't want to buy this stuff and waste the product on already bad bearings.

Thanks.

Old
01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Ozz

The little rack comes w/the cleaning solution.

If your bearings make a lot of noise when they spin, or don't spin freely, you're probably due for replacements. Cleaning them may help, but it may not. Hard to say.

It's usually about $10-15 for the cleaning solution w/the rack though, which is a good investment for these or future bearings either way.

Lastly, you can use a plain allen wrench to remove the bearings. Stick it through the bearings and push the spacer out, then use your finger through the wheel to remove the other one.

All that tool does is fit precisely where it needs to go and makes it quicker. You can even use a small screwdriver to do the job.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:23 PM
JaeTM

Gotcha. Thanks. Funny enough the one that actually moves is the one that makes noise lol. It's not that loud though.

The others are barely moving. Like I said, they move about once or twice around and then just stop. It's pretty bad. I'm hoping theyre just super dirty because the rink I play at, they rarely clean the rink off.

I'll give the cleaning a shot before buying new stuff. Thanks man.

Old
01-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Ozz

Good luck. Sometimes bearings spin like crazy but are loud. It happens!

Old
01-15-2014, 08:27 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
Gotcha. Thanks. Funny enough the one that actually moves is the one that makes noise lol. It's not that loud though.

The others are barely moving. Like I said, they move about once or twice around and then just stop. It's pretty bad. I'm hoping theyre just super dirty because the rink I play at, they rarely clean the rink off.

What rink are you playing at? I think Sport Time in Bethpage might be the dirtiest roller rink I've ever skated on.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 07:31 AM
JaeTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Knee1T View Post
What rink are you playing at? I think Sport Time in Bethpage might be the dirtiest roller rink I've ever skated on.
Rapid Fire in Mastic.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:31 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Rapid Fire in Mastic.
I've played there a few times, definitely not the cleanest rink around...although I don't think any are very clean on Long Island.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 07:35 AM
JaeTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Knee1T View Post
I've played there a few times, definitely not the cleanest rink around...although I don't think any are very clean on Long Island.
You're probably right. I've played at World Gym once and I don't remember it being overly dirty. Although I may be wrong. And I played a season at Skate Safe, and I don't remember that one being too dirty either. I wasn't a huge fan of the refs over there but they seemed to be pretty good from my one experience over there.

Guess it's time to make the switch to ice lol.

Old
01-17-2014, 09:05 AM
Beezeral

Quote:

if you are having this much of an issue, it's probably too late.

but go on ahead and clean them.

Since you are playing on a dirty rink, you probably need to be cleaning your bearings at least once a month. It is a pain to do because it is slow work, but its absolutely worth the effort. Just do it while watching a game.

Beezeral is online now   Reply With Quote