HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/LAK] Oilers acquire Ben Scrivens for 3rd round pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2014, 09:42 PM
  #301
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRib View Post
Seems like a few posters expected a major splash. It's almost as if the only deal with Nashville they were willing to consider is one including Weber.

But let me tell you... You want Weber? Hall + is going the other way.
Yep, these aren't the blockbusters we want to see, but they make the team a bit better. It might not even show in the standings this season, but we're filling small holes now, leaving MacT time to fill the big ones at the deadline/draft/summer.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 09:48 PM
  #302
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Yep, these aren't the blockbusters we want to see, but they make the team a bit better. It might not even show in the standings this season, but we're filling small holes now, leaving MacT time to fill the big ones at the deadline/draft/summer.
Blockbuster trades rarely happen in-season for a reason... The value just isn't there. No team wants to part with a large part of their roster during the season, even if they're getting a stud in return.

The one thing I notice about this board/community is that these minor deals get absolutely **** on by posters. I don't get that. Contenders aren't built with one, two, three or even four trades. They're built over a few seasons worth of solid trades. These are the trades that actually make up a bigger foundation of your club in the future than the blockbusters do.

I'm excited to see what Scrivens can do, and he's a UFA at the end of the season if it doesn't work out. If it does, then we have one less piece to look for in free agency. Win-win.

What today really shows me though is that MacT isn't afraid to pull the trigger. He's already better for this team than Tambellini.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 10:15 PM
  #303
apadilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post


Maybe this stunt punched his ticket out of LA?
nice, everyone wants to be camera sometime,

apadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 10:23 PM
  #304
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,807
vCash: 160
I think this is an interesting deal. There are some differences here between Dubnyk and Scrivens despite the fact they are both 27 years old. The biggest difference I see is that with Scrivens there is potential for him to be a #1 golaie. That ship has clearly sailed for Dubnyk.

I say this because Scrivens has, by and large, been the superior goalie at every level prior to playing his first NHL game in late 2011. His journey to the NHL was quite different than Dubnyks but his numbers have been consistently better.

Dubnyk has had pretty pedestrian numbers all along his journey to the NHL.

As for their NHL comparison...Dubyks is clearly an NHL backup. There can be no doubt about that after playing 171 NHL games and being average at best and terrible at worst.

Scrivens on the other hand has played a grand total of 51 NHL games and although he has had very little time to adjust to the best League in the world his numbers are better than Dubnyks.

The only argument that can be made at this point is that the NHL sample size is too small for Scrivens but what all the complied data does suggest is that Scrivens potentially has a higher top end than Dubnyk.

So based on that I think this is a good move with a much higher potential upside than staying with Dubnyk.

I have no problem with giving up a 3rd for Scrivens. Its about time an Oilers GM started taking some risks instead of playing it safe.
The days of stockpiling potential assets and hoping for the best has to be over...time to put together a playoff team. Deals like this dont put the team over the top but they create a momentum of positive change.

Scrivens now has 20+ games to prove his worth so the Oilers get a hometown player who has something to prove.

Good deal for MacT.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 10:49 PM
  #305
rosemount289
Registered User
 
rosemount289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 558
vCash: 500
I don't see any.......................???

I do not see any down side to both deals..........the cap is going up next year so we can easily absorb Hendricks salary; Scrivens will be given every chance to be a number one goalie..........plus if it does not work we can let him walk!

And did we not get a third round pick for the Mike Brown deal?


Last edited by rosemount289: 01-15-2014 at 10:50 PM. Reason: more info
rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 11:33 PM
  #306
Bad Goalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
This is a big opportunity for Scrivens. I hope he can make the best of it.

Bad Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 11:38 PM
  #307
Bad Goalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
How will Scrivens do behind abhorrent defense?
How would anyone? Maybe this is just the beginning. More deals to follow to upgrade the D? Anyone at any management level knows this isn't even a band-aid yet.

Bad Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2014, 11:54 PM
  #308
thinlizzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
It may sound redundant but Mac T targeted Hendricks in the off season so he can bring a vet presence, work the PK and be that gritty player that can move up and down the lineup. He's a solid player that was relied upon in Washington.
I agree. DD needed to be moved as the team didn't know what to expect game in and game out. I figure we are chasing at least one free agent goalie in the summer. IB has started to slip so hopefully this will push him to dig in. I agree that Mac T isn't done yet. I figure a deal with SG or AH is in the works.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:16 AM
  #309
Bad Goalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
If we re-sign him, he'll be a very usuable back-up coming into next season. That is, if we actually sign one of the UFA goaltenders this off-season.
Don't want to appear as a dark cloud, but it will cost really big dollars to get an established GOOD goaltender to come to Edmonton if they don't fix the D simultaneously. No keeper is going to sign there if he knows in advance he'll be the only guy left to defend the abandoned fort unless it's his last chance.

Bad Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:28 AM
  #310
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Goalie View Post
How would anyone? Maybe this is just the beginning. More deals to follow to upgrade the D? Anyone at any management level knows this isn't even a band-aid yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Goalie View Post
Don't want to appear as a dark cloud, but it will cost really big dollars to get an established GOOD goaltender to come to Edmonton if they don't fix the D simultaneously. No keeper is going to sign there if he knows in advance he'll be the only guy left to defend the abandoned fort unless it's his last chance.


Money posts. Defensemen should be the absolute highest priority on MacT's agenda, even to the point where these goalie trades were simply something to get done while he waits for other GMs to get into trade deadline mode.

I think MacT knows there's a big fish waiting to be hooked if a certain team isn't in playoff position by the trade deadline.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:30 AM
  #311
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,259
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post


Money posts. Defensemen should be the absolute highest priority on MacT's agenda, even to the point where these goalie trades were simply something to get done while he waits for other GMs to get into trade deadline mode.

I think MacT knows there's a big fish waiting to be hooked if a certain team isn't in playoff position by the trade deadline.
Generally those big fish go to playoff teams because they can afford to give up more in terms of picks/prospects.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:46 AM
  #312
Bad Goalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerguy View Post
Oilers should have traded for Eddie Lack. This guy is going to be the next Cory Schneider...a 6'5 Cory Schneider. Vancouver is a team on the decline but he's shining every chance he gets. He had one year in the AHL that he dominated as well. Guy went under the radar because he came from Sweden and wasn't scouted very heavily. Canucks AHL farm team fans were saying that he has more potential than Cory Schnedier who also dominated the Ahl.

I think it would be smart if they targeted him now before he has 2 or 3 seasons of sub 2.00 GAA and 920+ save% because by then his trade value will be really high.
If Luongo keeps having little buttaches that turn into bigger ones, Lack is going to see a lot of time in Vancouver. Also I think the Canucks will hold on to Lack for another very good reason. Their farm team in Utica doesn't have a replacement any where near as good.

Bad Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:55 AM
  #313
Bad Goalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Vancouver is ridiculously lucky. Have a great goalie situation last year, get a sick prospect, replace schieder with a potentially better goalie
I think you may have just stepped over the limits. Schneider's work in NJ is receiving rave reviews and the franchise is confident they have found a more than competent replacement for Brodeur, arguably the best goalie of all time. Taking that under advisement I don't think Mr. Lack has surpassed him in talent just yet.

Bad Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 01:17 AM
  #314
Bad Goalie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Goalie View Post
If Luongo keeps having little buttaches that turn into bigger ones, Lack is going to see a lot of time in Vancouver. Also I think the Canucks will hold on to Lack for another very good reason. Their farm team in Utica doesn't have a replacement any where near as good.
To further illustrate my point Eriksson, Utica's #1 just got lit up tonight by the Ducks in his first NHL start. He surrendered 6 goals in just a little over 30 minutes. He is not NHL ready. He has talent and will be good. He needs time to adjust to the North American game and hone his skills. Maybe in a couple of years the NHL will hear about him, but not yet.

Bad Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 03:44 AM
  #315
K19*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,187
vCash: 500
As a Leafs fan, there were many nights last season where he looked just as good (if not better in some ways, perhaps worse in others) as Reimer. Plus he seems like a great locker room guy. Plus the Eakins factor.

A 3rd is pretty reasonable for a guy who might really help you here.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 08:37 AM
  #316
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachekeith View Post
Biggest winner in all these trades? Dubnyk.
Maybe not. I was thinking last night about Dubnyk going forward in the NHL. He ends up sucking in NSH his NHL career might be over. But if he would've finished the year here then maybe there is a CHI team out there that thinks he's a real good option and they sign him like they did Bulin.

Really it's up to Dubnyk to step up and be better than he has been this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerguy View Post
Oilers should have traded for Eddie Lack. This guy is going to be the next Cory Schneider...a 6'5 Cory Schneider. Vancouver is a team on the decline but he's shining every chance he gets. He had one year in the AHL that he dominated as well. Guy went under the radar because he came from Sweden and wasn't scouted very heavily. Canucks AHL farm team fans were saying that he has more potential than Cory Schnedier who also dominated the Ahl.

I think it would be smart if they targeted him now before he has 2 or 3 seasons of sub 2.00 GAA and 920+ save% because by then his trade value will be really high.
There are a lot of guys we should've targeted and whose to say we didn't? But after what happened to Schneider and the asking price from Vancouver there is a good chance that they wouldn't even trade him to us anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post

Giving up that potential for a UFA goaltender is a lousy use of an asset. And the fact that Mrs Scrivens seems to be disappointed in the move makes it all the more doubtful that he re-signs.
Why even spew this crap? All she said is she is sad to leave her hometown, but excited to come to her husbands hometown and it's now spinning into a Pronger situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19 View Post
As a Leafs fan, there were many nights last season where he looked just as good (if not better in some ways, perhaps worse in others) as Reimer. Plus he seems like a great locker room guy. Plus the Eakins factor.

A 3rd is pretty reasonable for a guy who might really help you here.
Pretty much how I'm looking at it. A guy that when dealt for Bernier some said might end up better than Bernier. Gave up a 3rd for a position we are weak at. Really not much risk.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 09:30 AM
  #317
bone
Registered User
 
bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 876
vCash: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
And the fact that Mrs Scrivens seems to be disappointed in the move makes it all the more doubtful that he re-signs.
The only negative comment was made months ago in jest and it was about weather, not specifically Edmonton. Put the pitchforks away please.


Last edited by bone: 01-16-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Quoted the wrong post
bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 10:37 AM
  #318
EpSoNiight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Scrivens starts tonight as per Dreger

EpSoNiight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:17 PM
  #319
DarthP0ker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
LoL, his wife was so ecstatic to move back to her hometown California, said she was relieved b/c Toronto was so cold. Welcome to hell

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...matt-hendricks

DarthP0ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 12:21 PM
  #320
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Maybe not. I was thinking last night about Dubnyk going forward in the NHL. He ends up sucking in NSH his NHL career might be over. But if he would've finished the year here then maybe there is a CHI team out there that thinks he's a real good option and they sign him like they did Bulin.
But in terms of his offseason UFA options, just like Scrivens, he has 6 months to show his quality. If he plays well, or even if it's just inflated stats coming from playing behind Nashville's D, I can see teams just looking purely at the numbers and wanting to sign him, thinking "Man, the crappy Oilers are the reason Dubnyk sucked".

How many Nashville or Phoenix goalies have been great outside those systems?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 01:11 PM
  #321
PJ Kings Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Ben and Jenny Scrivens are a fun, warm couple with a great and offbeat sense of humor. They quickly fit in well with the Kings players and wives. Ben was the best part of the in-game Kings players funny videos and Jenny jumped right in to help with the Kings' charitable projects. Ben also saved our bacon after Quick went down with his injury. He earned this opportunity with his excellent work.

They weren't here long but Kings fans will miss them. Good luck, Ben!

PJ Kings Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 02:00 PM
  #322
redgrant
Registered User
 
redgrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpSoNiight View Post
Scrivens starts tonight as per Dreger
I believe you mean 1996 Hasek starts tonight.

redgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 02:08 PM
  #323
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...
 
Booya42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrant View Post
I believe you mean 1996 Hasek starts tonight.
Dare to dream Arnold...

We can only wish this will be the case.

I'm happy we got him though, and I'm really hoping he takes this opportunity and seriously runs with it.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 04:18 PM
  #324
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,967
vCash: 50
Have to be a dissenter on this one.

A 3rd isn't a high cost... but Scrivens isn't a particularly good goalie either from what I've seen of him.

I'd of course rather MacT had found a legit 1A type goalie or at least a solid backup... neither of which I really think Scrivens is at this stage... but I'd love him to prove me very wrong.

Again, a 3rd is not much to ***** about BUT does Scrivens improve the goaltending on this team over Dubnyk? Not really imo and that's how I assess whether a trade is good or not... whether the team will likely be better or not.

Let's see what he can do though of course... first impressions though are that this is another swing and a miss in the goaltending department by MacT.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 04:23 PM
  #325
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,284
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Have to be a dissenter on this one.

A 3rd isn't a high cost... but Scrivens isn't a particularly good goalie either from what I've seen of him.

I'd of course rather MacT had found a legit 1A type goalie or at least a solid backup... neither of which I really think Scrivens is at this stage... but I'd love him to prove me very wrong.

Again, a 3rd is not much to ***** about BUT does Scrivens improve the goaltending on this team over Dubnyk? Not really imo and that's how I assess whether a trade is good or not... whether the team will likely be better or not.

Let's see what he can do though of course... first impressions though are that this is another swing and a miss in the goaltending department by MacT.
Likely. Desperate move by a desperate man.

He is finding out that he has very few options.

Nobody of any worth is willing to come here if they have a choice J Schultz notwithstanding. Not easy to build a team that lacks veteran presence under those circumstances.

You are pretty much left with the draft and other team's garbage.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.