HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Proposal from the Blues

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2007, 11:08 AM
  #1
Checker*
 
Checker*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Proposal from the Blues

Backman, Mayers,

for Lupul

Blues get a guy who get use a change of scenery but has potential that the blues need in their system up front.

Oilers get a guy who will instantly add some energy to the team and stick up for teammates while providing decent offensive skills and a mid 20-year old defenseman who can really move the puck, has size, is good in his own end, and has untapped offensive potential. Plus he's signed for 3 years with a good contract

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:40 AM
  #2
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,176
vCash: 500
I think if Lupul moves anywhere, he will flourish as a more consistent player. That's the way it happens sometimes with a change of scenery.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:45 AM
  #3
Oil_in_my_veins
Registered User
 
Oil_in_my_veins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Backman, Mayers,

for Lupul

Blues get a guy who get use a change of scenery but has potential that the blues need in their system up front.

Oilers get a guy who will instantly add some energy to the team and stick up for teammates while providing decent offensive skills and a mid 20-year old defenseman who can really move the puck, has size, is good in his own end, and has untapped offensive potential. Plus he's signed for 3 years with a good contract
as lackluster as Lupul has been the Oilers will not give up on him for a banger and another project defenceman. Backman needs to add about on 20 lbs of muscle and Mayers is basically Torres with no hands. Brewer is the player the Oilers want if you believe all the rumours. the way the Blues have been playing they might be buyers instead of sellers at the deadline (or sooner).

Oil_in_my_veins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:49 AM
  #4
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,176
vCash: 500
Yea the Blues are a better team than the Oilers at this moment even if they are behind them.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 12:00 PM
  #5
Vagabond
Registered User
 
Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,112
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
I would do this deal. You get a player similar to Moreau and a decent d'man. Lupul just will not thrive in "this" Oiler system, but think he'd have a great chance in a Blues uniform. This to me is a fair trade for both sides. The Blues get the better player while the Oilers address two types of players that are needed on two positions.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 12:31 PM
  #6
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,027
vCash: 500
that's a pretty good deal, from an outside perspective. backman would be great for you guys.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 12:55 PM
  #7
Checker*
 
Checker*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan View Post
as lackluster as Lupul has been the Oilers will not give up on him for a banger and another project defenceman. Backman needs to add about on 20 lbs of muscle and Mayers is basically Torres with no hands. Brewer is the player the Oilers want if you believe all the rumours. the way the Blues have been playing they might be buyers instead of sellers at the deadline (or sooner).

I think calling a guy like Backman a "project defenseman" is selling him a bit short. He's already a good top 4 defenseman, who doesn't make mistakes in his own end, plays the penalty kill and the powerplay, and can log serious ice time...25 minutes last night against the Red Wings on a much improved Blues team. Plus, again you'd have him for three years and is still only 26. There's a good chance he could improve to be a number 2 defenseman. If not, he's still a dependable, cheap top 4 guy. I don't consider that a project. Plus, as you can talk about Lupul benefitng from a change of scenery, perhaps a change would be a catalyst for Christian Backman's offensive numbers to go up, especially with your speedy forwards.

As far as Mayers goes, he'll never be mistaken for a scorer, but for a guy that does all of the things you'd ever want to see a hockey player do in regard to being a team player and banger, 10-15 goals is respectable.

I also consider this trade to be pretty neutral from the Blues point of view in regard to buyer/seller. Lupul can go out and play on the second line now, and if by some miracle the Blues make the playoffs, he's shown he can do the playoff thing. And the Blues best depth is at defense with McKee, Brewer, Jackman, Wideman, and Salvador as steady players. You can rotate Rivers and Walker as 6th guys. In Peoria, both Polak and Woywitka could step in, and Erik Johnson is waiting in the wings as well.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 01:42 PM
  #8
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,961
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
I think calling a guy like Backman a "project defenseman" is selling him a bit short. He's already a good top 4 defenseman, who doesn't make mistakes in his own end, plays the penalty kill and the powerplay, and can log serious ice time...25 minutes last night against the Red Wings on a much improved Blues team. Plus, again you'd have him for three years and is still only 26. There's a good chance he could improve to be a number 2 defenseman. If not, he's still a dependable, cheap top 4 guy. I don't consider that a project. Plus, as you can talk about Lupul benefitng from a change of scenery, perhaps a change would be a catalyst for Christian Backman's offensive numbers to go up, especially with your speedy forwards.

As far as Mayers goes, he'll never be mistaken for a scorer, but for a guy that does all of the things you'd ever want to see a hockey player do in regard to being a team player and banger, 10-15 goals is respectable.

I also consider this trade to be pretty neutral from the Blues point of view in regard to buyer/seller. Lupul can go out and play on the second line now, and if by some miracle the Blues make the playoffs, he's shown he can do the playoff thing. And the Blues best depth is at defense with McKee, Brewer, Jackman, Wideman, and Salvador as steady players. You can rotate Rivers and Walker as 6th guys. In Peoria, both Polak and Woywitka could step in, and Erik Johnson is waiting in the wings as well.
That's a deal that could work for the Oilers, add a conditional pick and I think it has legs.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 01:46 PM
  #9
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
I am a Lupul fan and I really liked his game away from the puck last night. But that does sound like a pretty fair proposal from both sides.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:32 PM
  #10
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=36980

and

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...pid%5B%5D=6059

32 going on 33?

Mayers is also heading into UFA waters

Backman is getting 2.2 and then 3.2

is he worth it?

IMO--no. Two back to back years of losing games to injuries.

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 06:52 PM
  #11
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,676
vCash: 500
Pretty solid deal in terms of value but Backman's lack of offensive production is a big red flag for me.

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen
Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.