HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #48|Thu., Jan. 16, 2014| Predators at Flyers |7:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2014, 11:15 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
I feel like I'm watching that short clip in Starship Troopers where the balding guy is arguing with the old woman.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I just went back and watched it again, Couts line was out there for the whole rush. Downie just let his man make his way to the net and get the puck. Mason was left out to dry.
One of the goals I know it happened. Guess it wasn't that one. It really bothered me at the time.

EDIT: It was St. Louis' goal.

EDIT #2: Bothers me again watching it again.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
01-16-2014, 11:25 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Nashville has been playing mediocre hockey of late but they did get a new goalie in Dubnyk in a trade the other day, not sure if this helps them. With Pekka Rinne out the Flyers should win this game.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:33 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wixztor View Post
God knows though that we need defensemen with some offensive ability. He should play for now - his negative form is exaggerated on here - and if things are good we can investigate the possibility of re-signing him for cheap in the summer. He's not far removed from long-term injury and may still improve quite a bit. People complain about the shortsightedness of the Flyers, but what, then, is this?
Except Gus and Mez have virtually identical ppg numbers this year (.35 to .37), a difference of only 1 point during the course of an 82 game season. All the while Mez has played worse defensively, against easier competition, with the same d partner.

Mez's play in his own zone has not been exaggerated. He's bad and he makes Luke worse as well. Bottom line is he doesn't provide enough offense to cover up his for his defense. I'm not saying to take him out just for the sake of it but when he sucks he sucks.

IMO the younger and cheaper player with less experience who actually seems to have a future with the team should be playing given all the above.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:34 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Maybe Nashville will accidentally leave Shea Weber after the game.

01-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
NASH PR instructed Weber to not talk about the offer sheet.

Dave Isaac even said that Weber seemed uncomfortable to speak at all.

Its weird, the guy had right to sign and Nashville had right to match, its been almost 2 years. I think we've all moved on.

Old
01-16-2014, 11:50 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Is Nashville still that ********? Jesus...

Old
01-16-2014, 11:51 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I mean... during the CBA when that was implemented, the GMs all had to agree on it right? Why get all sad about it?

Old
01-16-2014, 11:52 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post

Its weird, the guy had right to sign and Nashville had right to match, its been almost 2 years. I think we've all moved on.
Yeah, that's pretty stupid but the Philly media probably would have been twisting everything he said or asked questions specifically to stir up some ****.

I hate the Philly media.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:00 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Yeah, that's pretty stupid but the Philly media probably would have been twisting everything he said or asked questions specifically to stir up some ****.

I hate the Philly media.
Tim P: So, Shea, how does it feel to be back in Philly after signing that offer sheet?
Shea Weber: Philly would've been a great place to play, but I like being in Nashville.

Headline: SHEA WEBER PREFERS PHILADELPHIA TO NASHVILLE

Old
01-16-2014, 12:01 PM
ugiswrong

Weber could be like, hey Pannacio, lucky I didn't come to Philly becuase you would have lost your corporate credit card a little sooner than you did.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:12 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Tim P: So, Shea, how does it feel to be back in Philly after signing that offer sheet?
Shea Weber: Philly would've been a great place to play, but I like being in Nashville.

Headline: SHEA WEBER PREFERS PHILADELPHIA TO NASHVILLE
Exactly, Tim is a little scum bag just looking for a headline. I remember last year at the begining of the year he was still bashing Richards in one of his articles. Everyone in the comments was saying how immature he was being and how he's a hack and less then two hours later it was all removed. I wouldn't put anything past that clown.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Most bi-polar team in the league; you'll either get the team that beat the Hawks 7-2, handed COL their first loss, and beat the Sharks / Kings / Red Wings in regulation recently...or you'll get the team that lost handily to WPG / NJD / NYI in a row, the Pants recently, and was shutout 4-0 by MIN at home.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Most bi-polar team in the league; you'll either get the team that beat the Hawks 7-2, handed COL their first loss, and beat the Sharks / Kings / Red Wings in regulation recently...or you'll get the team that lost handily to WPG / NJD / NYI in a row, the Pants recently, and was shutout 4-0 by MIN at home.
i hope we'll get Weber jk

i just hope Mazanec dosen't turn into Hasek, it always happens to us.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Garbage Goal

In reference to Nashville beating Chicago, that's not all that odd to me really. Chicago is actually a bit overrated as far as this season goes.

Anaheim is six points ahead of them in the same games played, Pittsburgh is one point behind with one less game played, and St. Louis is two points behind with four less games played. Chicago also has by far the worst ROW of the top four teams in the league and among the worst goal differential of the top four.

Chicago: 26 ROW/+42 GD
St. Louis: 28 ROW/+63 GD
Anaheim: 34 ROW/+50 GD
Pittsburgh: 30 ROW/+41 GD

Chicago is a great team, but they could be much better compared to the other top teams really. St. Louis and Anaheim are blowing them away really and Pittsburgh is pretty on par with them this season. I also remember all three of Nashville, Toronto, and NYI destroying the Blackhawks at one time or another this season.

I know where Chicago is in the standings and everything, but people make them out to be some kind of dynasty or crazy good team. However, as far as this season goes there's two teams that have definitely been better and they're about on par with Pittsburgh.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/InsideTheFlyers/...93158678634498

Quote:
A quick look at the #Flyers schedule shows that 22 of the remaining 35 games are against current playoff teams. And...
https://twitter.com/InsideTheFlyers/...93387981234177

Quote:
.. of the 13 games remaining against current non-playoff teams, six will be played in the next seven games. So, tough sked for the #Flyers
Some tough times ahead for the Flyers? Will determine if they are contenders or not.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Wixztor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Except Gus and Mez have virtually identical ppg numbers this year (.35 to .37), a difference of only 1 point during the course of an 82 game season. All the while Mez has played worse defensively, against easier competition, with the same d partner.

Mez's play in his own zone has not been exaggerated. He's bad and he makes Luke worse as well. Bottom line is he doesn't provide enough offense to cover up his for his defense. I'm not saying to take him out just for the sake of it but when he sucks he sucks.

IMO the younger and cheaper player with less experience who actually seems to have a future with the team should be playing given all the above.
True, but in fairness, Mez has turned those point totals up lately. In the beginning of the season he kind of didn't have the fundamentals covered enough to care about offense. Over 82 games, Mez's PPG should become higher than Gus's. For what it's worth, he is a plus player too.

Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been good, but if Mez finds his way back he is better than Gus. He's got more physicality and size while still having good skating ability. There's an edge on Gus that is relevant. A chunk of bad games out of 27 this season is not enough to dismiss him totally. In this case he's got the excuse of the injuries, and even if he didn't, players slump for entire seasons sometimes.

I'm probably coming off as a Mez fanatic, but I'm not. I just see the possibility of him maybe, maybe hitting his stride. And that, rationally, makes me want to see if it can work out. Flyers short-sightedness and all that.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:11 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post

F That!

I know I haven't. I still remember to this day, getting that text while I was at work, from my sister, saying we signed Weber to offer sheet. I was so god**** excited lol. My favorite non Flyer.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
F That!

I know I haven't. I still remember to this day, getting that text while I was at work, from my sister, saying we signed Weber to offer sheet. I was so god**** excited lol. My favorite non Flyer.
I never had him penciled in. I was 99% sure he was staying in Nashville.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
F That!

I still dream about him here......

Old
01-16-2014, 01:21 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wixztor View Post
True, but in fairness, Mez has turned those point totals up lately. In the beginning of the season he kind of didn't have the fundamentals covered enough to care about offense. Over 82 games, Mez's PPG should become higher than Gus's. For what it's worth, he is a plus player too.

Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been good, but if Mez finds his way back he is better than Gus. He's got more physicality and size while still having good skating ability. There's an edge on Gus that is relevant. A chunk of bad games out of 27 this season is not enough to dismiss him totally. In this case he's got the excuse of the injuries, and even if he didn't, players slump for entire seasons sometimes.

I'm probably coming off as a Mez fanatic, but I'm not. I just see the possibility of him maybe, maybe hitting his stride. And that, rationally, makes me want to see if it can work out. Flyers short-sightedness and all that.
I agree with you. The Mez hate around here gets out of hand a lot of the time, although it has been warranted in many games. But this guys coming off of a lot of time off due to injury, I'm not surprised its taking him this long to get back into his game. The guy was great for us before, and we've been getting flashes of it recently. He's made a lot of horrendous plays in the D zone (or leading to rushes against), but I feel like he's starting to make the right plays more often as well. We don't have any other dman that can jump into the play like him (other than Kimmo doing it occasionally).

With Kimmo's future up in the air, we may have room for him and I'm willing to give him that look. I would like to see Gus get more games than he is though.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Some tough times ahead for the Flyers? Will determine if they are contenders or not.
Those teams are only in the playoff hunt because they haven't experienced the wrath of the Flyers yet.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:26 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I agree with you. The Mez hate around here gets out of hand a lot of the time, although it has been warranted in many games. But this guys coming off of a lot of time off due to injury, I'm not surprised its taking him this long to get back into his game. The guy was great for us before, and we've been getting flashes of it recently. He's made a lot of horrendous plays in the D zone (or leading to rushes against), but I feel like he's starting to make the right plays more often as well. We don't have any other dman that can jump into the play like him (other than Kimmo doing it occasionally).

With Kimmo's future up in the air, we may have room for him and I'm willing to give him that look. I would like to see Gus get more games than he is though.
Mez would have to take a huge pay cut to get an extension. He was never worth his contract. He put up good numbers and played well but against the weakest competition always. He's not a top 4 d-man unless he's playing with some great, like Chara.

Old
01-16-2014, 01:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Since it's game #48...

Old
01-16-2014, 01:35 PM
flyershockey

I wonder why the Predators have problems scoring? I thought it was good strategy to have 11 bottom six forwards and Legwand.

Closed Thread