HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins Trade Rumor make Globe Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2007, 04:23 PM
  #26
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,445
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
1. Brewer for Lupul is stupid. Brewer is a UFA and will not even come close to that kind of return. If the Blues move him at all. He seems quite popular in St. Louis these days.
Please don't call my idea stupid... I don't appreciate it. I said it was contingent on Brewer signing with the Oilers and I said St. Louis would also have to throw in Mayers.

So if you don't like the idea... say so, but don't call it stupid man.

a signed Brewer + Mayers is pretty fair value for a one dimensional guy who is not playing well for the Oilers and probably never will.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:28 PM
  #27
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
A signed Brewer and Mayers (who is also a UFA this year) for Lupul is a debatable deal. Personally, I wouldn't do it, Lupul's still extremely young and given the fact that he's struggled this year has his trade value at an alltime low.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:45 PM
  #28
Jet
Moderator
Drop the danged puck
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,445
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoll 16 View Post
A signed Brewer and Mayers (who is also a UFA this year) for Lupul is a debatable deal. Personally, I wouldn't do it, Lupul's still extremely young and given the fact that he's struggled this year has his trade value at an alltime low.
I think the one problem people have with trades on this board is we seem to just look at whether overall value = overall value... like in a vacuum. I think that you have to consider what each team really needs and weigh those needs and whether the players coming back address those needs.

On paper does a signed Brewer + Mayers = Lupul? Well considering Brew and Mayers are proven established NHL'ers and Lupul isn't, I'd say it's pretty close. Of course Lupul could blossom into a perrenial 40 goal scorer, so you have to weigh that in too.

Bottom line is that the Oilers need a defenceman who doesn't wet himself under pressure, and some consistent hitting and grit up front. This trade addresses both these needs very well IMO. We lose a guy who hasn't shown us that he can be a dynamic scorer for the OILERS.

IF you look at todays Oiler roster if we make this deal... we lose a lazy, defensive liability who doesn't hit or score meaningful goals, or create offense. We add a forward with some grit and someone who brings physicality to the Oilers, and a defenceman who immediately gives us 25 minutes of solid decisions in our zone.

This deal makes sense for the Oilers.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:46 PM
  #29
HuMz
Registered User
 
HuMz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 2,441
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Please don't call my idea stupid... I don't appreciate it. I said it was contingent on Brewer signing with the Oilers and I said St. Louis would also have to throw in Mayers.

So if you don't like the idea... say so, but don't call it stupid man.

a signed Brewer + Mayers is pretty fair value for a one dimensional guy who is not playing well for the Oilers and probably never will.
It may not be stupid but its a overpayment and even St. Louis fans will tell you that......most have said they'd be happy with getting a 1st round pick for him come deadline time.

It may sound fine to trade a struggling Lupul, but since when was Brewer playing great? Everything ive read and the limited games ive seen he hasn't looked the same as the one who logged top minutes for us before.

Just makes 0 sense to trade a stuggling young star potential player signed for the next couple years for a guy whos a UFA in his prime yet hes not playing anywhere near the best hockey of his career.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:52 PM
  #30
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I think the one problem people have with trades on this board is we seem to just look at whether overall value = overall value... like in a vacuum. I think that you have to consider what each team really needs and weigh those needs and whether the players coming back address those needs.

On paper does a signed Brewer + Mayers = Lupul? Well considering Brew and Mayers are proven established NHL'ers and Lupul isn't, I'd say it's pretty close. Of course Lupul could blossom into a perrenial 40 goal scorer, so you have to weigh that in too.

Bottom line is that the Oilers need a defenceman who doesn't wet himself under pressure, and some consistent hitting and grit up front. This trade addresses both these needs very well IMO. We lose a guy who hasn't shown us that he can be a dynamic scorer for the OILERS.

IF you look at todays Oiler roster if we make this deal... we lose a lazy, defensive liability who doesn't hit or score meaningful goals, or create offense. We add a forward with some grit and someone who brings physicality to the Oilers, and a defenceman who immediately gives us 25 minutes of solid decisions in our zone.

This deal makes sense for the Oilers.
You make a good point but I still don't think it's a good idea to trade the centre piece of the Pronger trade for two impending UFAs. I think Lupul is an established NHLer personally, thats what scoring close to 30 goals last year and adding 9 in the playoffs tells me anyways. I'm not completely against trading Lupul but I'd rather see a defencemen like Stuart/Pitkanen/Seabrook (just throwing names out there) coming back even if we had to add something else. Do the Oilers need defensive help and grit? No question about it. Should they give up a big part of their future to fix the problem when even if they do fix the problem they might not get to the playoffs? In my opinion, No.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:56 PM
  #31
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,836
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyBrad View Post
The rumor yesterday seems to be gathering steam as it appeared in the Boston Globe today and was mentioned on HNIC this afternoon as the Bruins play in Ottawa

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...thomas_starts/
wasn't this rumour posted yesterday?

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 04:58 PM
  #32
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,836
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Please don't call my idea stupid... I don't appreciate it. I said it was contingent on Brewer signing with the Oilers and I said St. Louis would also have to throw in Mayers.

So if you don't like the idea... say so, but don't call it stupid man.

a signed Brewer + Mayers is pretty fair value for a one dimensional guy who is not playing well for the Oilers and probably never will.

don't be so thin skinned

If someone does not like your idea they can call the idea stupid

they can't call you stupid--just the idea

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 07:18 PM
  #33
GSC
Registered User
 
GSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Basement
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear View Post
Interesting rumour. Stuart + Sturm for Smith + MA Bergeron.
SHOW ME WHERE TO SIGN

Edit: Nevermind, Stuart and Sturm are both impending UFAs so forget it.


Last edited by GSC: 01-27-2007 at 07:26 PM.
GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:20 PM
  #34
hackey
You're Not Bored...
 
hackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: You're Boring
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Stuart has been a disappointment in his pro career.
After being picked 3rd overall.. great things were expected of him...

but he's turned out to be just an average defenceman so far.
There are better ones out there.

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:22 PM
  #35
Spartacles
Registered User
 
Spartacles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: GP
Country: Canada
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spartacles
I love this trade. We need to get Smith out and signal a changing of the guard. Make Smyth, Stoll and Hemsky the core of the team, along with Stuart if he resigns and we are pretty set.

Dont get me wrong, I love Gator, he brings a toughness each game that no other player on our team has. but I think its just time we said goodbye.

Spartacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.