HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tennessee firm supplying cut-resistant hockey socks to US Olympic team

Old
01-16-2014, 01:24 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Tennessee firm supplying cut-resistant hockey socks to US Olympic team

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ic-hockey-team

Quote:
And these aren’t just any socks, according to Mark Cleveland, CEO of the Brentwood-based Swiftwick athletic sock company. The knee-high compression socks are cut-resistant, made from a fiber-optic core that protects players’ feet and ankles from sharp blades, he said.
More [NHL] equipment managers recommended the sock, and more players began using it, and now the brand is now worn by players on more than 12 NHL teams. Benefiting from word-of-mouth endorsements, the Swiftwick hockey sock was selected for the U.S. team last fall, as well as for Latvia’s, Cleveland said.
Sock also directs "upper body sweat" to holes in skates for releasing that moisture.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Sock also directs "upper body sweat" to holes in skates for releasing that moisture.
Well that doesnt sound very good at all. A players feet all already sweating, these socks obviously dont breathe, upper body sweat then funneled down the leg & collecting in the boot of the skate? How is that helpful? Honestly this is ridiculous. Why not just go full-on Medieval with super lightweight Chainmail like Fencers? Its a great concept but like the old Lexan full shield face masks & Cooperall pant systems sans socks altogether, impracticable.... I'd say back to the drawing boards on that one.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 02:05 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well that doesnt sound very good at all. A players feet all already sweating, these socks obviously dont breathe, upper body sweat then funneled down the leg & collecting in the boot of the skate? How is that helpful? Honestly this is ridiculous. Why not just go full-on Medieval with super lightweight Chainmail like Fencers? Its a great concept but like the old Lexan full shield face masks & Cooperall pant systems sans socks altogether, impracticable.... I'd say back to the drawing boards on that one.
Skates apparently have specially drilled holes to evacuate wet/sweat from boot (per article).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Kesselology
License to Phil

Quote:
I don't think you can write them off as a total failure without trying them, or before they've been extensively utilized. There must be a good reason why NHL equipment managers and high level players are recommending them.

I'd never wear them though, I can't stand wearing socks when I play.

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Since when did skate boots have "holes drilled into them"? Even if there are holes drilled into them with the amount of synthetics used in their manufacturing processes its not they they breathe much at all either.... Regardless, I'll be interested in learning how these socks are received by the players, whether or not they are practicable, and I should say that yes, I love the concept but Im highly skeptical of their performance qualities in that they could create another set of problems in that they dont breathe, tiring players faster, causing sizing problems with skates as excessive moisture will build in the boot holes or no holes.

Also, Im moving this thread to The Rink, as its more an equipment & developmental issue with no real Business of Hockey relevancy. But a very interesting topic none the less, so thank you Lady Stanley... we can carry on over here.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 03:50 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
^^^ Since when did skate boots have "holes drilled into them"? Even if there are holes drilled into them with the amount of synthetics used in their manufacturing processes its not they they breathe much at all either.... Regardless, I'll be interested in learning how these socks are received by the players, whether or not they are practicable, and I should say that yes, I love the concept but Im highly skeptical of their performance qualities in that they could create another set of problems in that they dont breathe, tiring players faster, causing sizing problems with skates as excessive moisture will build in the boot holes or no holes.

Also, Im moving this thread to The Rink, as its more an equipment & developmental issue with no real Business of Hockey relevancy. But a very interesting topic none the less, so thank you Lady Stanley... we can carry on over here.
They've been drilling vent holes in outsoles for a long time and they do work.

The Kevlar or cut-resistant sock concept is a solidly proven product. Bauer, Reebok and other smaller firms make them as part of their main product lines.

Your concern about fit isn't as drastic as you may think. These types of socks are only marginally thicker than other thin hockey type socks.

They are also not as stuffy and uncomfortable as you may think; materials are modern.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 04:08 PM
MattGTI

While not drilled in aftermarket(if I am understanding this correctly), my Reeboks definitely have a ventilation hole in the bottom of the skate.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2014, 04:26 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I'd rather leave the rink with my achilles intact rather than be too proud to try out a safer, new technology. I've had no issue with cut resistant socks, they're comfortable, they don't break the bank and they keep me protected.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 05:53 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

All skates have holes in the bottom of the soles as far as I am aware.

I wear kevlar socks which as no different than normal socks.

I also wear kevlar hockey socks by first star and kevlar tights.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 04:37 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Well that doesnt sound very good at all. A players feet all already sweating, these socks obviously dont breathe, upper body sweat then funneled down the leg & collecting in the boot of the skate?
I believe this was the main complaint amongst players when Reebok rolled out the first run of their Edge uniform system. A lot of changes had to be made a good number of players went back to knit socks.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 04:47 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Well that doesnt sound very good at all. A players feet all already sweating, these socks obviously dont breathe, upper body sweat then funneled down the leg & collecting in the boot of the skate? How is that helpful? Honestly this is ridiculous. Why not just go full-on Medieval with super lightweight Chainmail like Fencers?
I hope you're being sarcastic. Do you have a different set of physics that you use? These aren't socks with magic magnets that pull the sweat from you upper body downwards towards your feet. Gravity will make sweat run down into your skates already, there's no choice in that matter. That's just how physics work. These socks help that sweat flow towards the commonly found drain vents. If anything you should be praising these socks for helping out the moisture situation in skates.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote