HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: Aeros @ Pack (PACK WIN 4-3 - Callahan HAT TRICK/OT WINNER)

Old
01-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Korps is still pretty young at 21 yrs. There seems to be so much there to work with in terms of talent....and he just keeps going for the net. The finishing part can be the last and toughest part of the puzzle to solve. I really feel it's all going to fall into place for him at some point. Even though he has not scored too much he's still a standout with how he plays.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:02 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Korpedo can handle the puck and skate...my question lies with what he does after that...waiting for the offensive part of his game to develop (I know he may not be a 30 goal scorer, but fourth liners (and perhaps even third liners) aren't always drafted in the first round, let alone one doesn't trade-up to acquire).
Eh, i dunno....he still looks like he needs at least another full season in the AHL but he shows A LOT of potential.

I see him as a 2nd liner in the NHL from the glimpses of watching him last playoffs and this year. His offense will develop, he didn't have the chance to really develop that side of his game in the Finnish league playing 4th line minutes but now that he is playing top 2 line minutes it will develop.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Fletch

He definitely needs another year...

but I see little offense thus far that would warrant him playing on a second line in the NHL. Just too little information right now. He still needs to find his physical game too, which too often isn't there. He's reminding me too much of Johan Lindbom, and not enough of Jere Lehtinen.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:11 PM
FLYLine24*

3-2...all Liffiton fault. He looks pretty bad out there.

Old
01-27-2007, 08:13 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
but I see little offense thus far that would warrant him playing on a second line in the NHL. Just too little information right now. He still needs to find his physical game too, which too often isn't there. He's reminding me too much of Johan Lindbom, and not enough of Jere Lehtinen.
Tonight hes showing some offense, but I still think is to early to really predict where he is going to end up in the NHL because hes only a rookie. I think next year after a full season under his belt we will see what type of a player he is going to turn into.

Old
01-27-2007, 08:22 PM
FLYLine24*

**** 3-3 They tied it with 30 seconds left

Old
01-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Pizza

OT coming....

Old
01-27-2007, 08:24 PM
dank

Houston pulled the goalie, and they were having a tough time getting out of their zone, the Pack controlled most of it, but they got a goal with the extra skater.. you HAVE to skate hard with the goalie out..

3-3 goes into OT..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:27 PM
FLYLine24*

Callly!!!!!!! HAT TRICK!!! OT WINNER!!

Callahan goes hard to the net and scores off a rebound from Immonens shot!

CALLAHAN IS THE ****ING MAN!

Old
Fletch

What will be interesting..

is if Montoya gets tomorrow's start. Doesn't sound as though Valiquette's played poorly, but Montoya has made a case for more starts. Schoeny has chosen to go with Valiquette in thiese situations of late...

Old
The Big Apple

Game Over Pack Win

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:28 PM
dank

Mutha truckin' Ryan Callahan..

A Hat-trick, wins the game in OT, off of a rebound..

4-3 Pack... i wonder who is the first star?

(Valli didn't play poorly at all, he played solidly in fact)

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Pizza

Is Cally good or what? I mean seriously, anybody have any predictions on how he'll do in MSG?

Old
01-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Fletch

Callahan..

will not get better in the AHL...

Old
01-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Pizza

Lampman with yet another good game. When Maloney mentioned him as being a potential call up the other day I scratched my head a little. But Lampman has been playing well the last several weeks.

Old
01-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Houston should buy Kaspar dinner. He giftwrapped their game tying goal on a silver platter. first didnt even try to clear the puck outta the zone, then loses his man who is wide open and all alone for a slam dunk goal.

Anyone still wondering why he was waived?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Is Cally good or what? I mean seriously, anybody have any predictions on how he'll do in MSG?
See, thats the thing, and keep in mind im basing this off of 1 game, nothing more, but the kid just seems to find himself in perfect position for gimme goals. Its not like the guy uses his speed to blow by people, or he powers his way to the net, or whatever, he just seems almost....lucky.

i hate to say that, since im basing it on such a tiny sample size, but nothing about his game screamed out to me that hes going to be a gamer. He just seemed to be....fortunate.

Obviously you have to put yourself in those situations by reading the play (hockey sense, check), by putting the puck in the net (finishing skills, check), etc.

A guy like dubinsky, though he didnt contribute much offensively, made his presence known by making things happen, using his body, powering through, etc. Korpedo used some speed and skill to make things happen, Baranka showed some good play as well.

Again, dont take this is a slam on the kid, i just dont know enough about his game to say anything other than what i noticed in this one game.

assuming the rangers are off on the 17th of Feb, I will surely be catching their next telecast.

Old
01-27-2007, 09:13 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
See, thats the thing, and keep in mind im basing this off of 1 game, nothing more, but the kid just seems to find himself in perfect position for gimme goals. Its not like the guy uses his speed to blow by people, or he powers his way to the net, or whatever, he just seems almost....lucky.

i hate to say that, since im basing it on such a tiny sample size, but nothing about his game screamed out to me that hes going to be a gamer. He just seemed to be....fortunate.

Obviously you have to put yourself in those situations by reading the play (hockey sense, check), by putting the puck in the net (finishing skills, check), etc.

A guy like dubinsky, though he didnt contribute much offensively, made his presence known by making things happen, using his body, powering through, etc. Korpedo used some speed and skill to make things happen, Baranka showed some good play as well.

Again, dont take this is a slam on the kid, i just dont know enough about his game to say anything other than what i noticed in this one game.

assuming the rangers are off on the 17th of Feb, I will surely be catching their next telecast.
The 1st and especially the 2nd goals were just nice shots through the five-hole from the slot. The 3rd goal was a gimme but that was because he know to head to the net with his stick down.

The best players are the players who know where to go when they don't have the puck, the players who know how to get open...that is HUGE in hockey. Its not just about stick handling through players. Shanny not just known for his great shot but for the fact he is so good at being in the right spot and getting open. Don't underestimate that sort of talent in a player that can't really be taught.

Old
01-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
The 1st and especially the 2nd goals were just nice shots through the five-hole from the slot. The 3rd goal was a gimme but that was because he know to head to the net with his stick down.

The best players are the players who know where to go when they don't have the puck, the players who know how to get open...that is HUGE in hockey. Its not just about stick handling through players. Shanny not just known for his great shot but for the fact he is so good at being in the right spot and getting open. Don't underestimate that sort of talent in a player that can't really be taught.
true, but if it depends on you finding your ways into places to score, rather than on you using your ability to score, your are much more likely to go through long scoring droughts. again, im not trying to get down on the kid at all, and i cant stress enough how im basing this opinion on 1 game. But you gotta have something that sets you apart from the others. LIke shanahan has an amazong canon of a shot, Kovalchuk has speed and a canon, heatley, canon, hossa, overall game, and tremendous stick handeling, jagr, puck posession, thornton, vision, etc etc

I just didnt see anything that screamed to me, whoa look how he does that. It was more of a, man, the kid just always seems to be in the perfect place to make things happen.

Old
01-27-2007, 09:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
will not get better in the AHL...
I agree with you Fletch, you never want to push a kid too hard but I think Cally has shown us that he's ready to take his game to the next level. Pop Prucha back up on the second line and let Cally take Prucha's spot on line 3.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Nich

i think they are giving monty 50-50 time this year to make sure his injury heals completely. which is smart. and then i hope next year to see him doing 60+ games with holt as back up.....does valequtte end up in ny??

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:38 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I agree with you Fletch, you never want to push a kid too hard but I think Cally has shown us that he's ready to take his game to the next level. Pop Prucha back up on the second line and let Cally take Prucha's spot on line 3.
Actually, I've wanted Prucha playing LW with Cullen on the 3rd line all year. I'd just assume see Callahan slotted at the RW on the line.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:06 PM
storm fan

Inferno, since you have not seen Cally play that much, you have not seen the other parts of his game. He does have the speed to blow by people and he has had several highlight reel type goals this year.

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:16 PM
pld459666

I know that these comparrisons are not good, but he reminds me of Joey Mullen in that he was never the best player on the ice at any time, he didn't have a wicked wrist shot, his slapshot was average, he wasn't fast, wasn't physical and when he first entered the league he was average defensively (later learned to be alot better) but had the innate ability to score goals.

Callahan is a solid player in the same mold as Joe Mullen.

Hopefully the comparrissons hold true throughout Cally's career

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I know that these comparrisons are not good, but he reminds me of Joey Mullen in that he was never the best player on the ice at any time, he didn't have a wicked wrist shot, his slapshot was average, he wasn't fast, wasn't physical and when he first entered the league he was average defensively (later learned to be alot better) but had the innate ability to score goals.

Callahan is a solid player in the same mold as Joe Mullen.

Hopefully the comparrissons hold true throughout Cally's career
not bad at all. callahan is an example that every scout in the hockey world should sit down and take notes on. you cannot teach heart and the willingness to do everything it takes to get to that next level. even if the guy has minimal skill he will make it IE. Ortmeyer. A guy could have all the skill in the world, but if he is not willing to go through a wall to get there he will falter IE. Brendl/Lundmark.

Go CALLY!

WEB - http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com
TWITTER - https://twitter.com/draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote