HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stuart/Corvo report

Old
01-27-2007, 08:58 PM
OntOilFan

vCash: 500
Stuart/Corvo report

Seeing as how Oiler fans rarely get to see eastern teams, I thought I'd give a brief run down on two players rumoured to be heading to Edmonton after watching them today.

I got a chance to take in the Senators/Bruins game and I did the best mini-scouting job I could on Brad Stuart and Joe Corvo.

Stuart
• Makes a terrific breakout pass.
• Skates extremely well. Creates offense just with his wheels.
• Seems disinterested at the moment. Didn't play with much toughness.
• Logged A LOT of minutes. Played as much as Chara.
• His skating helps him play well positionally.
• Made a couple errors.
• Good, low, hard shot.

Overall: Very poised with the puck. Miles better than anyone the Oilers have. Would help immensely.

Corvo
• Poor defensively. Seems to lack strength. Doesn't win physical battles.
• Bruins seemed to have their way in the offensive zone when Corvo was out. (Paired with Priessing.)
• Smooth hands. Good passer. Good skater.
• Seems to have mental lapses. Makes errand passes. May lack some hockey sense.
• Is not a big-minute player. Can only be used sparringly.

Overall: He's a lot like MAB, but has a little more offensive skills. He wouldn't help the team that much, based on what I saw today. He may be a bit of a boon to the PP, but is hardly the answer.

It was only one game, but take it for what it's worth. Stuart really impressed me, I must say. I didn't have a high regard for him going in, but I'd like to see him an Oiler.

Another thing that struck me — both teams have at least three defenseman who are better than anyone the Oilers have. Chara, Mara, Stuart, Redden, Phillips and Priessing are all better than our number one defenseman, whoever he is. Andrej Meszarsos and Anton Volchenkov may be better as well.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:14 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
I don't like Corvo's contract and from what little I see of him I am not impressed with his play

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Oilerdiehard

Good run down OOF, thanks man.

I agree on Stuart, he is not Lidstrom or Pronger but he is better than anything we currently have and his break out passes alone would be a very welcome relief.

Yeah I see zero reason to bring in Corvo.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:47 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Seeing as how Oiler fans rarely get to see eastern teams, I thought I'd give a brief run down on two players rumoured to be heading to Edmonton after watching them today.

I got a chance to take in the Senators/Bruins game and I did the best mini-scouting job I could on Brad Stuart and Joe Corvo.

Stuart
Makes a terrific breakout pass.
Skates extremely well. Creates offense just with his wheels.
Seems disinterested at the moment. Didn't play with much toughness.
Logged A LOT of minutes. Played as much as Chara.
His skating helps him play well positionally.
Made a couple errors.
Good, low, hard shot.

Overall: Very poised with the puck. Miles better than anyone the Oilers have. Would help immensely.

Corvo
Poor defensively. Seems to lack strength. Doesn't win physical battles.
Bruins seemed to have their way in the offensive zone when Corvo was out. (Paired with Priessing.)
Smooth hands. Good passer. Good skater.
Seems to have mental lapses. Makes errand passes. May lack some hockey sense.
Is not a big-minute player. Can only be used sparringly.

Overall: He's a lot like MAB, but has a little more offensive skills. He wouldn't help the team that much, based on what I saw today. He may be a bit of a boon to the PP, but is hardly the answer.

It was only one game, but take it for what it's worth. Stuart really impressed me, I must say. I didn't have a high regard for him going in, but I'd like to see him an Oiler.

Another thing that struck me both teams have at least three defenseman who are better than anyone the Oilers have. Chara, Mara, Stuart, Redden, Phillips and Priessing are all better than our number one defenseman, whoever he is. Andrej Meszarsos and Anton Volchenkov may be better as well.
I was at the game too, but I was not as impressed with Stuart as you were. I like his shot a lot - accurate, hard, and gets it off quick. He would certainly help, but isnt worth what it would take to get him IMO. He won't single handedly turn this team around.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 10:51 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
I was at the game too, but I was not as impressed with Stuart as you were. I like his shot a lot - accurate, hard, and gets it off quick. He would certainly help, but isnt worth what it would take to get him IMO. He won't single handedly turn this team around.
No, not at all. I didn't mean to imply that he was. However, you'd have to admit he'd be a big help.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 11:13 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
if we get Stuart for a half decent price I say go for it

however

if the BB wants an arm an a leg--then wait till the off season and get him for 4 to 5 mill a year

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Lessy

I really don't want to see Corvo coming to Edmonton, not only is that contract expensive but it's also pretty long. I'd much rather see Stuart come, even if it costs a lot more. He can play on the top pairing and would be a huge upgrade. I'd say he gets over 5 in the offseason though

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote